Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

More active mods who can just occasionally remind people we're all posting about professional pretend fighters seems nice, this place is pretty great and we just occasionally get weird about some of the most inconsequential poo poo in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I think there was a period after the last big discussion where a bunch of posters seemed to be making a concentrated effort to be more welcoming or speak out against undeserved or uneven hostility. And I still see that happen sometimes. But generally I think everything's kind of settled back into the usual state of things.

edit: That was worded badly. I think things are basically the same as they were. Some people are incredibly hostile and it doesn't really feel worth engaging. But I do think some posters have made an effort to change that. I just don't think its really stuck.

In all honesty after all that discussion I mostly walked away having no idea what people considered aggro or not. To me the aggro posting are the posts that get really mad about wrestling and half the facts about what they're mad at are wrong. I've also been told that thinking those are aggro makes me the aggro posters.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

This is only a half joking post because I've got no other real feedback but would it be possible to make a thread with an IK that changes based on the current latest poster that we can crown the PSP Ironmetal Hardcore 24/7 Idiot King

I guess in the end that just turns into the current idiot king probing the previous one for 6 hours but it was a fun idea for a minute

You get one probe and then IK passes to them

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I guess that's funny since I thought you were one of the posters who seemed to be making a real effort after that discussion. Which is not to suggest you were "part of the problem" or anything but rather that I seem to remember seeing you call out a couple of unnecessarily hostile or dismissive posts in the days after. I think the need to define exactly what's wrong kind of just leads to unhelpful stuff like naming specific posters or posts. I was hopeful that just a general awareness that some people don't wanna post about wrestling if it means getting yelled at and insulted would have a gradual improvement to the culture of the place. But I also think there's a lot of posters who just enjoy that and the attitude is that's them and normal and fun so things just settled back into their natural groove.

But also, you know... we had this discussion. We know we don't all agree. So what can you do?

I'm generally just trying to be chill but yeah, my biggest take away from that discussion was that people who want to not be yelled at about their wrestling opinions also really liked yelling at others. We should all be chill but there was a lot of rules for thee and not for me being asked for. Generally I do think people have been cooling down with the exception of a few who I do also think were the worst about wanting to be mad but not be mad at.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, there's definitely a difference between a mod saying hey chill out and a regular poster doing it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

neoaxd posted:

This place is good, it's by far the best place to talk about wrestling, I just wish people didn't take things so seriously sometimes. People can get real god drat aggro/defensive at the drop of a hat. About wrestling!!
I think it's a clash of ways of approaching this place (and posting in general) that leads to a lot of misinterpretations of intent. For example, I post here because, primarily, it's fun to me. It's entertainment. I like reading and posting dumb crap. The sillier the better. Some people want to discuss things, maybe even debate some stuff. That's fine too! But don't expect me to care as much as you do about certain things. I'm here to have a good time, not to convince anyone or be convinced of anything. Thank you.

Yeah, something I try to be aware of as a poster is that I bounce around and it can be tough to read intent because of that. Sometimes I want to make really bad poo poo posts about stanning Charlotte because it's funny. Sometimes I want to make serious posts about the art of story telling in pro wrestling. It can be tough to read a post and know which one I'm making if I do both.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Best they can do is minting your post as an nft and letting it gain value

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

My only real issue is that people have gotten so into trying to be funny or gimmicky that it's literally impossible to know when people are serious and when they're joking these days, and oftentimes when people do post sincerely it's at best ignored or at worst shouted down (more so the former though).

Also the forum is more cliquish than I think a lot of people want to admit but that's gonna happen literally everywhere, it's impossible to avoid, I just think it's a bit unfortunate at times.

Actually now that I think about it I'll use myself as an example to illustrate the first point. So like, it's literally forum lore at this point that I'm the biggest Jon Moxley mark there is. That's why someone ITT was complaining that my loving username being a thread title was a match spoiler. I don't personally agree on that part but whatever. Point is, as long as people aren't making fun of me for it (which I honestly don't think has happened in years so that's excellent!) I have zero problem with it. It actually makes me happy most of the time. HOWEVER, we've reached a level of posting re: fandom or even dislike of wrestlers or promotions that makes my Moxposting seem positively subtle in comparison. And again to be clear I think most people are exaggerating for comic effect? But like, it's always there now with some people. And if the volume is always at 11 it ceases to mean anything. The reason why I'm The Mox Guy is because it's genuine and sincere. I think a lot of people post insincerely these days because they think it makes them cooler or funnier and when you have threads full of bare minimum 40% of posts being like that it's just noise.

Also while I've returned to posting a bit more regularly in the AEW threads I still don't even dare to touch the WWE threads because even though I think the product has genuinely been improving lately (still a long way to go but at least there's the occasional thing worth discussing positively) if the bleed through references in the AEW threads are anything to go by, nobody actually wants to discuss WWE, they just want to take turns dunking on it, making GBS threads on Cody for going back, and derisively calling it The Fed. If that makes the majority of the community happy have at it I guess, but hard pass from me. And maybe it's not as bad as I'm picturing. But considering it can be pretty goddamn difficult to have a sincere discussion in the AEW threads and that's a product pretty much everyone agrees they LIKE? Yeah I doubt it.

Edit to put a finer point on something I said: IMO trollposting is a loving scourge, not because it exists, but rather because it's all some people do, and they don't even put any effort into it a lot of the time. It's the kinda poo poo that used to get probed, back when, y'know, this forum had like ten times the number of people posting regularly? And like, I get it's the new norm, whatever, but I'm not gonna say that I don't think it sucks bad, and I'm not gonna say I don't think that the regularity of it wasn't a big factor in this place becoming a shell of itself, because I do.

Dude, the flip side of this is that you get really meant to people when they say stuff about Mox and can be the text book definition of "can dish it out but can't take it". Sometimes the sincere posts are good, sometimes they're predicting how poo poo future shows that have not happened yet will be because of something that's happened to Mox and disagreeing with that is called troll posting.

There is no getting around the fact that if you go into a public space, get on a soap box and tell everyone your opinion that they will respond in ways you can't control.

Edit: Your reading of the WWE thread is also kind of just wrong, it's changed a lot since there are alternatives and people hungry for wrestling are not hate watching it in hopes of getting some dregs.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 28, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

And to be clear I agree with a lot of what Fooch posted and there should be space for sincere posts and being an outright troll to them should be probed. To try to create some examples here:

Bad posts:
"Mox is amazing, should win everything ever, and here's why"
"gently caress you Mox sucks because he eats poop and his fans should die from a really gross infection"

That should get a probe and if OP responded with hostility they would be in the right.

Good posts
"Mox is amazing, should win everything ever, and here's why"
"Nah, that's stupid and here's why I think Mox is bad"

Is a perfectly fine post that should continue to be fine as long as no one gets overly hostile about it. You can have a disagreement there no problem. And if it is met by hostility from OP then OP should get a probe. If you post an opinion in public you can be told it's stupid, you just deserve to be told why and allowed to discuss it back and forth on a discussion forum.

Edit: just to tack on, it's even ok for those discussions to get a bit hot and people toss stuff around but then you're following the rules of bantz and if someone cuts too deep you all stop playing instead of getting mad. Don't be an Eddie Kingston because someone got a touch too real in the pretend fight.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 28, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Actually, another place where I think having more mods or IKs will help is that threads are free so I really do think people would be comfortable making something like a "serious posts only thread" and expect that to be enforced within reason. I think being able to do that will solve some of the problems where mega threads are trying to be for everyone. It just requires someone reading those threads with some buttons.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Even as someone who (mostly) leans towards the "taking wrestling too drat seriously" side of things, I'm not sure I'd really be willing to go as far as to post a "No Fun Allowed Zone" thread.

Honestly, the community of wrestling watchers on SA is so small at this point that while something akin to the Enclosed Pool Area but permanent would be nice, it'd be a lot less fun for everyone if you had half the posters to interact with. Like, there's only so many of us, we can probably learn to live with each others "foibles", be that being a mark & taking wrestling too seriously or indulging in some casual shitposting (& I'm not knocking shitposting, it's fun)

I wouldn't want anyone to post a no fun allowed thread, just that I don't think there is anything wrong with making a thread and establishing a tone for it. I think EPA showed us most posters want to poo poo post and serious post. I just think a lot of the clashes come from people not being on the same page about what they're doing.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Feedback: our mods should be referred to as referees to fit the theme.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Well, umm, y’know, plans can, uhh, *shuffles papers*

*smoke alarm beeps*

Bryan asks Dave who the new mod is. When he says Yea ok it becomes "who's on first" where Bryan thinks each username is Dave making noises while he shuffles through papers.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Hausu Usher posted:

A couple weeks ago this person who doesn't normally post in wrestling threads popped in to talk poo poo and the thread treated them like a brony sitting down for a pop tart in Satriale's.

Click the post number and it should take you to the thread and the responses they got. It was like immediate shutdown and exclusion and examples of where a mod could have came in and encouraged people to either discuss or ignore. I try and only post in the game day thread's because the clique is just not fun to post in amongst - very hive mind, which must be fun for them but if the forum is supposed to be for more than that then surely a balance can be struck?

I clicked that and it seems to be yea ok who has a grudge or something that made them decide the guy was disingenuous, MRT actually replying, and Shard blowing them off for saying Jericho was carrying Mox. I don't think those 3 are in a clique together though there are a lot of bad posts there, including op, that a mod could have stepped in and said to move on. But I'm not that shocked someone got heat for opening the thread with asking why a beloved wrestler is loved because they can see that he sucks.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Good post: "Can someone explain why Jon Moxley is so popular? I don't understand it"

Bad post: "Can someone explain why Jon Moxley is so popular? Jericho carried him in that match. That was honestly rough to watch."

You can see how they're going to get different reactions.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Brut posted:

What insider terms did they use?

"Carrying" does show your hand a little. It's wrestler lingo compared to "Jericho was doing all the work in that match" and also just implies you're watching the match in a way someone versed in wrestling would and paying attention to how the wrestlers are "working". I definitely think the dude would have gotten a better response if he had just asked why people like Moxley and not why we like Moxley who sucks.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Hausu Usher posted:

I mean it's not the most ideal way of posting, but I can understand why they'd maybe think goons wouldn't be so precious about their tv show and there'd be a bit of back and forth.

And still here we have the "righteous exception" attitude a lot of the AEW thread bullies have where they feel empowered to nuke people and opinions on their thread that they don't like.

Dude came in and asked why everyone's favorite wrestler sucks. I'm not sure what's hard to get here and no one got nuked.

Like, the flip side of all of this is that if you go into a thread and ask everyone why their favorite wrestler sucks and then call it a circle jerk when that makes them mad it's your own communication skills that are getting in the way here too. Could people have responded better? Yeah. Did OP start the conversation as poorly as possible and then dig down? Also yes.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 1, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think you horrible scrotes should be nicer

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

"Here's an example of a post where a mod could of helped"

"Oh wow yeah, that's a really bad post that obviously was trying to upset people"

"FIRST OFF YOU HORRIBLE SCROTE"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I was with the dude when his point was that it was a situation that wouldn't have gone on as long if people were asked to just move on. But god drat has it become a stupid hill to die on.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Hausu Usher posted:

It seems people have taken "horrible scrote" in the wrong way, so I apologise. I was just using fun flowerly language for fun and for a moment thought people were joining in with the bit which confused things.

In proper terms I just meant being nasty to someone because you believe they are secretly here to ruin your hobby by repeating lines from a podcaster is probably an attitude we should move away from.

Word, I guess this is how a solid example of how most of the problems here are people coming in with hyperbolic and insulting language and then being shocked people are mad and had a reaction to their post. I don't think anyone was being nasty because they think the dude was secretly a listener to a podcast. They quite clearly have posted that they were being nasty to a dude who has said he listens to the podcast and likes it and then opened the thread with a question that matches the podcast opinions and is worded in a way that's going to start bickering.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

I think one source of animosity on the forum is that there is one camp who engages in the tribalistic “my guy is better than your guy” posting because it’s fun, while the other camp is genuinely getting angry that people like the wrestler that they don’t.

I absolutely pick sides based on what will make people angry because lol don't be angry about that

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, even at it's most toxic it's valuable because people will come here to make a drama post instead of in another thread. And usually it's being used for actual feedback anyways.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Shard posted:

What about the Limp Bizkit cover?

This is bad faith

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Orange Carlisle posted:

can we do away with posting vague clickbait fightful select tweets without a summary of the information in the 'article' - they're basically as annoying as rovert posting and posting vague tweets behind a paywall is really stupid

Eh, I don't think they really negatively impact threads and this feels too much like D&D homework rules to be a thing we should enforce with probs or something. Maybe try a nice request over punishment though? Like when someone posts it you can post "oh, I don't subscribe. Can you explain it?"

Like, I'm for posting it here as a request for people but I don't think it's something we should probe for at all.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

I will fully acknowledge that I have been the opposite of helpful re: Punk discourse and will stop. I didn't know it was bothering people.

lol yeah, I was just pretending but apparently some folks are real serious about who is right in the very goofy AEW work fight.

Containment zones are kind of dumb though and should be avoided whenever possible. Gateway drug to mods giving out probs because they personally don't like the topic or something.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The Hausu Usher posted:

I’d suggest combining the containment threads (Cornette, Ratings, CM Punk) to be a general AEW thread where people can post anything (including negative takes/opinions) and just make it a rule that the regular weekly Dynamite thread is a positive vibes only thread.

Oh God please no. Forced fun is annoying as hell and will just lead to posts about how mods are too heavy handed in 6 months.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I read the thread and just don't let the bad posts do physical harm to me or whatever the hell is happening over there. I seriously never understand these complaints, you're not making bad posts go away.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I keep thinking of doing a long form retrospective review of AEW from the beginning once they hit give years but all of the current drama makes it feel like a good time to start too.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think there's also now been 3x more meta discussion about the last time someone posted a Rovert tweet compared to how much discussion the actual post created. Seems like the current rovert rules work.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

If it was something genuinely bad then a mod or admin would revert it for free for you, that’s been standard for years now.

That's not actually the standard and they're not trying to move away from that. It's always been an adhoc "If an admin thinks they should" but not an actual standard.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Weepy Stinkman

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That EA probe feels like we've put the bar for posting that is too horny way to high compared to other horny probes.

But also it's a sixer so not the end of the world

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

IGgy IGsen posted:

I was wondering why that was a probation. I thought it was a joke probe.

A no horny posting rule is good because horny posting is cringe but didn't really feel like that.

Anyway it's a sixer who gives a gently caress, it's probably over by now.

Oh yeah if it's a joke I totally missed it. Yeah, to be 1000% clear my entire feeling on it is "That one? Ok I guess but eh" so I thought I'd say that.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I feel like the real questions get answered and people are just getting sick of "Why doesn't Tony maintain the momentum?!" and whichever wrestler it is has been on both shows that week. I've become way more jokey in those threads because the serious discussions always end up being about why this episode is why AEW is dying. Usually whatever that problem is resolves itself by next week and we have a new reason.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I forgot a good morning.

My overall point is that the thread can sometimes be a slog of too many jokes that apparently pisses people off but it can also be a slog of "serious" posts that also just drag the whole thing down because people get on about how bad the episode they half remember was.

Both definitely come down to "shut up and let people enjoy things"

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The ideal mod is doing it until you don't want to and then just stopping and posting again. Thanks for being a good mod

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Getting the key to the city and then committing a citizens arrest.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

It is. It's a fraction of a day.

Obviously it's a stupid probe but if you give someone the buttons & tell them to do what they want then you're going to get stupid probations.

I just find it really funny. It seems so obvious that if you win ik through a goofy contest the only thing asked of you is to do funny things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Aye Doc posted:

idk im laughing a lot at the idea of someone getting mod buttons and taking the role on with full seriousness. hopefully exhumus uses the rest of their week or w/e of mod powers to re-shape the AEW thread perfectly in their image through 6ers

That would also be very funny if any iks are reading