Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Thanks y'all, can't wait to post as normal and--

Ganso Bomb posted:

Hell yeah Erin! But now you have to make a thread about how you made that insane cable TV system in your house.

:ohdear:

Okay, but only if I can post it in this forum with the tenuous link being the Pro Wrestling channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

From my perspective I definitely think everyone's been unnecessarily aggro these past few weeks. Possessed by ghosts perhaps?? As The Hit Videogame Big Mutha Truckers 2 For The PlayStation 2 says, we are posting about wrestling on the internet.

There's nothing wrong with disagreeing about wrestling, having different tastes, and expressing your distaste for whatever's going on, just as there's nothing wrong with people talking about how cool wrestling is or saying that they like poo poo. But there's been a lot of disgruntled sniping, and more importantly a whole lot of Posting Just To React and continuing frustrating deranged derails. I get that it's wrestling (which is literally designed to evoke emotional highs) and I get that being accused of poo poo online can lead to emotions running high but sometimes a deep breath, the ignore or report buttons, and in the words of Christian Cage "Staying Off The Internet, Buddy" can work wonders.

I like this forum a whole bunch and wouldn't have stuck around posting here if I didn't, and I appreciate any reports and frank conversation going around, but there's been a noticeable uptick in people either starting or continuing fights and that's pretty lame. Keep the fighting in the ring, post about wrestling and not about posters, etc.

Try and remember we're all individual humans here and not, I dunno, some imaginary aggregation of Everyone On Reddit. You aren't here to own strangers online, you're here to post about how ROCK HARD Juice Robinson is and how it owns that Shibata regularly wrestles for ROH. Or maybe you're here to post your favorite Terry Gordy matches! Or tell people what Ram Kaichow is up to! There's lots of things to post about that aren't arguments with each other. So, just...don't be dicks to each other and post with your pals. Never forget that through all the moment-to-moment issues one may have, Wrestling loving Rules at the end of the day. Just try and be cool to each other even when you don't see eye-to-eye.

Thanks y'all I like posting with my pals :)

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Oct 6, 2023

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

also this place birthed the phrase Smaller Haystacks Calhoun which I've been giggling about for months so that's good imo

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Brut posted:

poo poo, my bad.

The Oildome wouldn't have this issue because every time someone tried to get into a fight they'd slip on the oil and everyone would have a good chuckle at their amusing pratfall :colbert:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

That DICK! posted:

Add Shinjobis Quest to the title I said

I'll do it, should it replace the current subtitle?

I haven't done any thread title editing because I'm worried about overstepping :ohdear:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Glass Punkbull 141 posted:

It always feels like everytime I get back into a routine watching wrestling and posting about it there's some kind of exhausting argument about it that lasts way too long and drains whatever joy I find in it.
I can understand this, because it took me many years of watching wrestling and Posting to get over this same feeling. In the end one has to realize that the loudest voice when engaging with a piece of media should be your own internal one.

Wrestling is inherently designed to stoke extreme emotions in the people watching it, and the people who post about it will naturally Care A Lot About It as a result. Flare-ups are all part of the game and have been since the earliest days of the artform, and it can be frustrating if you let it be, but the secret is to exercise that scroll wheel liberally and to also remember that it Is Just Pro Wrestling. The question is, are you enjoying watching the product, and if the answer is yes, keep watching and enjoying it, post that you're enjoying it, and learn to roll your eyes at arguments and things that are ultimately inconsequential while thoughtfully engaging in the things you like to engage in. One doesn't have to internalize every post in order to enjoy the product on TV.

Wrestling is pretty cool and good. Don't let others affect you so deeply that you forget that.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

And you can do that too! :)

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

lmfao oh my god

The jase1 Memorial Thread??

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

oh we NEED Bet Sematary, that's so good

(Though speaking of October fun times, check out the Spooky Wrestlers Thread in The Haunted Clubhouse!)

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Jase Goes To Hell: The Final Friday Night Smackdown

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

It's less a meltdown and more that we've hit a really silly idea of what trolling is. The posters getting the most red hot mad about it are also red hot mad when it isn't happening. When not being trolled they're earnestly posting about how much they hate certain wrestlers, that anyone with a different opinion of the show is a disingenuous liar, so on and so forth. It's very easy to just not get got by trolls as crazy as "failman page" or whatever.

look I'll own up to it, I'm trying things that may or may not work out and obviously this is one of those things that didn't, but I thought the entire vibe and conversation was getting really nasty and I just don't like insults when specifically directed towards posters or groups. some other people got sixers also, but it was a decision I made at work while scrolling'n'posting and was hoping (erroneously, obviously) that it would just lead to some deep breaths because it felt like a circular cycle of people being weird and snippy with each other that went past the usual banter and bits and was escalating for no real reason other than people weren't scrolling and moving along

I'm very obviously not against people talking poo poo about wrestler x or y (as long as it doesn't get into threats of violence or desire for injury etc) because wrestling is a naturally very emotional kind of artform to be invested in and not everyone is gonna like every performer or story beat and sometimes you just want to talk poo poo. That's fine! But sometimes it feels like everyone is convinced everyone else is specifically out to get them and it just feels weird. I like when there's funny stuff. make more snoredlow-tier puns those always make me giggle

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Mekchu posted:

how about you gently caress off yourself?

Okay, cut this out. Don't wade into a feedback thread to drop hot takes about something you by your own admittance don't even participate in or read and then lash out when someone calls that out. Posts like this help nothing and no one and just make things un-fun.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

tragically my request to call it Bet Sematary in October with the description Jase Goes To Hell: The Final Friday Night Smackdown was deemed "not the best idea".

I'm leaving any forum name changes to Brut because of the TKO competition but I'm partial to anything involving the Oildome. Oil Ocean Dome

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

yea ok posted:

It's really funny that the Positivity thread is half full of people just bitching about the forum though

yeah that poo poo loving sucks

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I don't think any of those posts are probe-worthy because if being Slightly Obnoxious earned probations there'd probably be a lot more and that's currently not really my style :shrug:. I just think talking about wrestling is fun and some people get really personal instead of either talking normally about things you like or dislike (which there was plenty of that - I've been having some good conversations since last night, even in the GDT proper) or someone has decided that a bunch of anonymous folks on the internet are Specifically Out To Kill You Via Firing Squad

it's not really a simple thing but at the end of the day it's literally posting online about a TV show. So much is solved by simply Scrolling Faster and ignoring things that make you mad. Hate-reading is bad for the heart

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Change the subforum name "Turkey Klobberers Only"

Description proposal

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

when you open the portal to hell you don't get to complain when demons walk through

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The AEW Hell Thread is a combination place for AEW Is Totally Dying Bits and a place to air legitimate grievances and complain about stuff that sucks and sometimes just vent a bit. It's a rules-lite shitpost thread, but it shouldn't be carte blanche to sling insults at each other. Talk poo poo about the product, not each other. The latest few posts are pretty snippy and I'll keep an eye on it. Admittedly I'm in-and-out because it's new year's eve and I have a party to go to.

At the same time, yes, sometimes there are instances of people going into the thread, getting mad that people are mad, and that's just a cyclical mess. Don't Get Worked. Sometimes you really do just have to hit the X button and wait for things to blow over.

As for the Jericho allegations and discussion thereof, it's a sensitive subject that has not been handled with the most grace in any particular thread. I'm doing my best to moderate it because it's a subject that deserves tact but it's not easy. It's not a Hell Thread-exclusive issue.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

There's going to be a dedicated thread going up, and I've opened the WWE thread for now. A lot of this kicked off while I was asleep (and away from my computer proper for a week - go figure!), and a lot of proper modding I get to on my lunch break. I support Carl's decision because of how heated things were getting, but I also agree a few additional probations were needed. It's been an understandably hot issue regarding navigating it just purely because of timezones and active times. I appreciate the suggestions; it's a lot to juggle (and I'll be honest, I have a terrible nose for alts).

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

neoaxd posted:

threatening to drop a grand piano from great heights on someone, turning their teeth into piano keys, is an actionable threat, sadly.

it's fine if the person turns into an accordion after and little birds fly around their head

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I'm glad we got to have our stare down spot in the Pretend Rumble :)

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Quantum of Phallus posted:

#1- infinity: the epic rereg mafia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiCIOQdvid4

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I'll own that my post about how people who admit to watching WWE should be clowned on was unhelpful, shortsighted, and stupid. I've been really sick for the past few days and bouncing around and posting through it (badly). I don't like that it fostered a series of circular accusations of who is or isn't #standingupforwwe. Unpleasant stuff. It should just stop because otherwise you have people just not bothering to read who they're talking to and accusing each other of some heinous poo poo out of nowhere. I'm sorry you got caught in the crossfire for innocuous posts.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The Hammer House: Stinger Splash Zone

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Cavauro posted:

but you better pretend i didn't say jack loving poo poo. starting now

Huh? What was that noise?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The others are Monkeu. Pretty sure this one's a different guy. We just, unfortunately, live in a very sad world :(

I'll consider it. I was thinking that was a last-chance probe but I'm personally pretty mad about the callous invocation of Speaking Out.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

Could the mods rename the Wrestlemania thread to something like "WWE Weeklies/PPV: DDTs of Our Lives" and add a rule of the thread being for shows discussion only?

Sure, sounds reasonable to me.

Namtab posted:

I would like people to enjoy wrestling, and stop trying to recreate the console wars with their fave corpo

TheSwizzler posted:

If you wanna light someone up for liking the bad people company go ahead just be funny imo

Once you start posting about how you haven’t seen this poster before and whinging about perfidious outsiders you’re going down the dark path of the megathread meltdown

I agree with these. There has been some bland trolling and disruptions in the thread (and worse that I've been doing my best to curtail) but nothing good comes from out-of-context accusations and bandying about potentially-triggering language. You can use the existing WWE thread for jokes and pointing out silly/bad poo poo in the product and even more serious news stories related to the promotion, but please keep major discussion of the lawsuit and related to the appropriate thread if just for Content Warning reasons, and please don't attack people randomly. And, yeah, try and at least be funny. There's a line between banter and attacks that I think has been crossed a little too often. Thanks, all.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Agreed, not because they're wrong but we should be pushing people to develop new material. The canned phrases are sad

Also true

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

JUNGLE BOY posted:

i don’t think we should have to “play ball” with posters who are only here to stir things up.

the posters who saw the anger surrounding the sex trafficking lawsuit as an “opportunity” to troll are the ones who should be punished imo

I agree! I've been trying my best to crack down on that when it comes up and I hope that's coming across. People watching isn't an inherent issue, but lazily trolling people for caring about the lawsuit is, and I'm extremely anti-Handing It To Em.

Also, yeah, I think there's some miscommunication here. There have been people who have been reregistering and coming in to post lots of wild troll posts. Things are a little on edge right now with everything going on.

I mostly want to cut down on, even as a bit, phrases like "rape enthusiast" and "rape factory", at least outside of the CW-labeled thread. It sucks even as someone who idealogically Gets It to have to constantly run into flippant use of charged language. imo

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 12, 2024

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Shard posted:

I like games. They have a great general chat there. And EPA has been better since my last time there lol. The caw season is fun. I also like PYF - lots of cool threads there including one I made that for some reason is stickied to the top.

The CineD horror and physical media threads are awesome and IYG has so much information and were super helpful when I had MP3 player questions. :)

MJeff posted:

If certain parties aren't showing up to just use "I'm just watching the show! What's wrong with that!" as very thin cover to troll people who understand that WWE's main revenue stream is directly tied to their viewership and understands exactly what the people in power in that company use the money they get from that viewership for, then surely the "WWE Weeklies/PPV Live Discussion: DDTs of Our Lives" thread neatly solves this entire issue and it won't be a dead unused husk within a couple weeks.

One can hope!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Sisal Two-Step posted:

Let me put this another way. Do you not see a difference in the mental images conjured by the phrase "trump fundraiser" vs "rape factory"?

It's this. There's a huge difference in what comes to mind and it's bad taste in a way that isn't funny and is very uncomfortable and alienating. I'd prefer people treat the situation with some gravity, and again at least keep language like that in the marked thread.

I have a high tolerance for, well, The Internet, but I think we can do better without flippantly using charged language as a cudgel that affects not only those you're using it against but those that have to read it as well.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

after they just gave him $250 million we can meet in the middle and call wwe the vince mcmahon legal defense fund

:golfclap:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

MJeff posted:

Fair enough. I don't know that I necessarily agree 100%, but I understand the logic. I'll be less pithy and more unambiguous about this going forward and encourage others to do the same.

I genuinely appreciate it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I've already been accused of being "Reddit-tastic", I don't have any plans on doing the thing that lead to the creation of r/squaredcircle.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Other people have, and I agreed with them. 16bbh however has not explained why he cares about people calling wwe rape factory but not people making jokes involving specific things vince did to his victim

Please don't use the feedback thread for personal grudges. I'd prefer if the conversation ended. I don't love either post but one is a clear dark joke based on absurdity and the other is, as has been explained, using loaded language as a shotgun blast. Any other talk can be taken to PMs between you two. Thanks.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Mr Hootington posted:

That doesn't matter. Many of you are validly pointing out that watching a stream of Raw on Hulu generates some amount of money that goes to TKO Holdings and may end up in Vince's pocket. This also applies to archive footage of the territories or WCW found on social media or Peacock and PPVs of UFC matches.

Please stop doing your bad faith bit, but especially stop doing it in this thread. This isn't a conversation that is actually happening.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I played it and Mario's Time Machine at a friend's house during a sleepover and it was so crazy to me that there was a game where you played as Luigi and then I made a bunch of pictures on some Crayola game for Windows 95 that were just Luigi and I named them all "Mario is Missing" with ascending numbers. Some of the Luigis were blue because of the one Nintendo Power issue where Mario was blue. Bring back Blue Mario (or "Blario")

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Also a serious post but I appreciate the really good conversation and thought out posts today, I just wanna have fun posting about wrestling and doing jokes and I think there was good stuff about that so thanks. Be excellent to each other :cheers:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

My favorite Superman 64 memory is how the UK magazine N64 (later NGC) had a truly incredible running gag for months where they'd have an impossible-to-solve puzzle hosted by Lex Luthor called "SOLVE MY MAZE", a line I still quote.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, sounds good. I think it should be a courtesy to wait at least 24 hours before posting major results outside of designated company threads, or at least to spoiler tag them appropriately and label them.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

That's true.

I'm of two minds. I think it's courteous to use spoiler tags for major results for shows outside of their home promotion threads at least for 12-24 hours. I do think some of the onus should be on the forum user to avoid it, too, because it's not like these things are done maliciously so no one's going to get dinged for it if it happens. These aren't spoilers in the traditional sense, and obviously in the threads actually about the promotions there will be no expectation of using tags for shows that have already happened.

I think people should at least try to tag major results like title changes outside of the home thread for at least 12-24 hours but if something falls through the cracks one of us will edit it, no biggie. And obviously something like AEW straight up showing the footage on television and telling people "hey, guess what! The champ is coming back next Wednesday!" makes it all fair game.

Just some two cents. I empathize with people who get results for shows they hadn't had a chance to see spoiled for them because they clicked on a thread possibly without thinking - this happened to me recently with Miu Watanabe's title win - but at the same time running into results in a thread directly affected by the results to some degree is just a hazard of being on a wrestling forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Suplex Liberace posted:

so if its on twitter its ok to post.

I'd still tag it for the day unless/until it appears actively on one of the televised shows because people might be avoiding Twitter for a bit (or entirely because it's not a good website) :shrug: I just think it's nice to do, nothing official. Just my take.