Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I think the wrestling thread mods are absolutely terrible at doing what mods are supposed to do. No issues with them as people or posters but they need to go

The amount of random 12+ hour probes given for the most vague, inscrutable reasons is unbelievable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

big hell no on using slow mode, thank you

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I personally vote for just trying out having an actual mod presence for a little while to help keep things civil instead of possibly implementing dozens of vague and arbitrary rules that are all catered to helping posters not get mad at or confused by posts

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Hand Knit posted:

I think the timeline is something like the following:

(1) I will post my mostly-concluding thoughts tonight but leave the thread open for a couple days in case anybody who hasn't been around has anything to say
(2) Consult with other people on possible mods
(3) Maybe I go play a chess tournament somewhere, that could add a couple days to the process
(4) We start asking people to be mod. Sometimes this takes awhile. One time we made it through our entire 'to ask' list without someone saying yes.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

If you jump into a thread to "ask a question" that is really just you expressing an opinion like an rear end in a top hat in any thread on SA associated with a niche or a hobby it's probably going to go the exact same way.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Plenty of new people have started posting in the thread that aren't assholes. Don't think there's a problem here. Next!

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Orange Carlisle posted:

outside of that one poster that physically can't stop themselves from melting down at every chance the aew thread has been the funniest it's been in a long time so thanks to cm punk for being a petty messy bitch completely unprovoked and to our moderators for being chill

:yeah:

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Orange Carlisle posted:

can we do away with posting vague clickbait fightful select tweets without a summary of the information in the 'article' - they're basically as annoying as rovert posting and posting vague tweets behind a paywall is really stupid

0 days since last incident of me posting content i enjoy majorly pissing someone off for some reason

i enjoy the speculation, and i was curious who it was. sorry that this ruined your day.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Orange Carlisle posted:

sorry you took this personally because it wasn't about you, and you didn't ruin my day or whatever the dunk attempt was there

the only thing I was asking for is requiring a summary below the tweet of what is actually behind the paywall if someone is going to vaguepost it

often times people already do this, which is nice - you not doing that this time you can take personally if you really need to I guess?

You posted it immediately after my post but ok. And there wasn't a summary yet, the summary was the tweet. I was posting it because it was being widely circulated elsewhere, and I wanted to discuss it because I was hoping someone else would post the news when it came out.

Orange Carlisle posted:

I didn't know asking people to post the actual information instead of just the clickbait advertisement tweet would be controversial but here we are

And I didn't realize posting the tweet would be controversial, but here we are.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

What if I just wanna make jokes about it

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Gumball Gumption posted:

I read the thread and just don't let the bad posts do physical harm to me or whatever the hell is happening over there. I seriously never understand these complaints, you're not making bad posts go away.

This. I also have no idea what gimmick accounts are being referred to

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

do you have any examples?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Ganso Bomb posted:

Nobody is allowed to post in the AEW thread while the mods are asleep anymore.

I can live with this

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

yea ok posted:

I do have a good laugh to myself at the people heralded as positive optimists dropping random nukes about how lovely the threads are and the people in them though.

This. I think the threads have generally been much better since the new mods were appointed and the only thing that still regularly creates bad vibes is when this happens imo

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

MJeff posted:

Critical was good mod.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

In the spirit of overwrought solutions to simple problems, I think we need sarcasm tags. I’ll be the idea guy, who can build it?

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I will stop posting if you make me a mod

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Sometimes I feel like I am posting in a completely different forum than others based on how this place is described sometimes

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

STAC Goat posted:

For whatever its worth I'll simply address the "I feel like I'm reading a different forum" thing. I think its very easy and normal that if you're on the inside of a group you might not notice things that group does or you will interpret it in a different way than people outside of it will. That's not bad, its human nature. We all have our own perspective. Trusting your own perspective as the objective truth is an easy trap to fall into, and its even more tempting if you have friends reinforcing that. A thread like this should be a helpful place to hear other perspectives and try and see how this place is being seen by everyone. And I think its helpful to hear that out instead of dismissing it as sometimes happens because it doesn't reflect what you see. At least that's my take.

There isn’t any inside group, I don’t have friends here. I just post and have fun. It’s wild to me that it’s interpreted as anything other than a fun, lighthearted place to post. It matches the vibe of all of the other subforums I read on this site which is why I keep coming back to SA. It’s antithetical to all of the miserable places elsewhere on the internet to discuss my various hobbies. :shrug:

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

To further elaborate, I think there is an inside group here in as only much as there are posters that have an intense desire to position themselves as outsiders to some perceived posting cabal. I don’t PM anyone or talk to anyone off the forums so it’s a weird notion to me for a place that has welcomed dozens of new posters over the last few years with open arms that this insider group exists and has some how evaded me completely

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

STAC Goat posted:

And its on display everytime a new poster shows up and is jumped on vs when a longtime poster is given the benefit of the doubt.

What are some examples of this happening because it keeps getting mentioned over and over in this thread and yet I don’t ever see it happen and every time I ask for examples I don’t get any. People fall over themselves to welcome new posters here, except when they’re obvious bad faith rereg dipshits, which are eventually outed as such, like today.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

edogawa rando posted:

Shaman Tank Spec being repeatedly dunked on for expressing disgust at that racist MJF promo on Takeshita for some minor bullshit technicality when the gist of what he was saying was basically correct comes to mind.

Thanks for the examples + passport pic but I was specifically asking about the repeated scenario where new posters are run off not whatever random arguments happened between regulars here

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Rick posted:

I'm going to give you some benefit of the doubt and assume that you aren't just sealioning.

Every time this discourse happens, if anyone engages in it, there's always evidence of various negative experiences people can report on. This is because even if something falls within your tolerance of joking and silliness, not everyone has that same tolerance; something that might seem harmless to you from another person's perspective it could be completely different, and much more hostile, especially with how difficult it is to access tone on the internet. Also, very few people actually have a strong desire to be the main character of the thread because their taste is different than the majority of people. This place is going to feel downright hostile to people who just want to post their post without considering they're going to have to defend the posts;s existence. Furthermore, what motivation does anyone have to even make this up? If people say they feel this way, they feel this way. Why do they need to justify this feeling? What's the harm in believing them? Like I feel a lot of things, I don't have a notebook of receipts to go to every time I express that feeling.

Now, I agree that in general this place has been a lot more pleasant lately in general. If y'all like that (because gently caress it, I don't care, I post in this place a couple times a month now) then have some empathy and some perspective so things stay better and don't get worse.

I'm not "Sealioning" whatever that means. I'm asking for specific examples because "this subforum jumps on newcomers" sounds like a very different and more serious problem (that should be addressed) than the known, exhaustingly discussed, and unsolvable problem of "I don't like the way some people post". It feels like the posters who have these issues of hating posting styles that they cannot get over are then trying to create a hypothetical problem to make it seem more detrimental than the reality.

To my own eyes, all I've seen are welcoming arms to people who join the threads and say something along the lines of "hey, this looks cool, how can I learn more?". Every single time that happens, people trip over themselves to post youtube links and match recommendations. If anyone here is doing something other than that, I think most posters here would step in and say something or click the report button because I don't think that's the atmosphere anyone wants. But it's like, not actually a thing that happens as far as I can tell. What has happened, is sometimes someone will show up with obviously preformed opinions, not looking to engage but just ruffle feathers "I'm new to watching whats the deal with this pockets guy and the jazz hands guy they're awful why do people like them", and then it turns out they're a previously banned poster / cornette weirdo because that's not how normal people come to engage with something new.

JUNGLE BOY fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 28, 2023

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

NienNunb posted:

What’s your stance on the phrase Pissbaby, which gets posts nine to ten times more than Weepy Wangman?

🐸☕️

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The only reason I pressed for specific examples is because last time we put vibes on trial without citing specific incidents the posters who like to goof around were likened to karaoke singers who use the n word which wasn’t exactly productive

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

History Comes Inside! posted:

What is a rivals.com pun

Please refer to this web comic popular among people who spend lots of time arguing in D&D

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

its those drat AEW fans hating bigotry again. smdh

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

The Hausu Usher posted:

There's a difference between someone posting their opinions on something that others don't like and posters doing some weird forum drama and talking about a poster not currently involved in the discussion.

Use the ignore function or pretend that my post was laced with tons of bigotry when I make them so that your brain will do extra work to provide a more generous and sympathetic interpretation, it's simple stuff.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Personally I think the posters that continuously justify bigotry should have to modify their behavior instead of the people who don't like bigotry, but that's just me. Maybe the truth is in the middle this time, but it never seems to be the case.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Lone Goat posted:

This, but if Cody loses emf gets permabanned

Harsh but fair

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Knew someone would come to pump the brakes sooner or later

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

someone reported that post lmao

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

We should emulate the structure of the Endeavor deal and have the MMA mods report up to the Wrestling mods

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I dunno who that is but I stand with anyone who thinks NXT or any other wrestling sucks.

But I assumed from the post that they were permabanned, if it was just a regular ban that took place a very long time ago maybe it was a bad ban but the statute of limitations has expired on reversing it IMO. But maybe do it anyways, hell, I’m just a poster

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

they can’t afford $10 and you’re all just laughing

if they saved 10 cents a day since they were banned they could have rereg'd (haven't checked the math on that) if they wanted to

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

(respectfully)

i consider Mr. Punk Healthy At Every Size and would love to see him continue to push boundaries in this great sport

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Thank you for your service, but we’ve got a new EMF

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

https://youtu.be/915VXjd4Ta4

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Ganso Bomb posted:

Didn’t know where else to post this so I’ll put it here - it has been the honor of my lifetime to be a PSP Mod, but I’ve relinquished the reigns. I’m just not finding myself online quite as much lately and am actively trying to do more things away from screens, but I’ll of course still be posting here and hanging out in AEW GDTs.

I at least hope my time as a mod did some good and helped out around here.

I am now an official member of Just Five Guys Posters.

🫡

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

You’d be surprised