Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

CarlCX's UFC big event OPs are works of art that are both extremely informative and also hilarious, and a great primer for understanding what is happening in any given show.

:unsmith: I am continually glad people get value out of them.

I also think a little more touching base in the threads would be good, but I am the lowly MMA IK and dare not exert power in wrestling threads outside of occasionally probating Bolt Yaride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Suplex Liberace posted:

Big agree! Carlcx post your substack again, all of psp should be shown your extremely good posts.

Man I don't wanna self-promote in the future forum feedback thread but all wrestleposters are more than free to join us in the MMA thread where we also don't know poo poo about MMA

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Orange Carlisle posted:

oh dang it looks like Carl already is - nevertheless my point still stands that the other two would be great choices for mods that would not hand out dipshit probations for silly stuff while still knowing where the lines are

Brut's our noble MMA mod, I'm just thread maintenance and occasional shenanigans IK. With you on the rest, though.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Compressing the MMA discussion into a core thread + GDTs has definitely helped a little, but yeah, we're a small but loving community. I've thought occasionally about doing a BYOB traveling forum spaceship thing with an MMA thread, but for one I wanted to get the new Q&A thread out first so we had an intro that wasn't a decade out of date and full of slurs and for two other forums scare me

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

MMA, unlike wrestling, is perfect in every way and requires no changes. Praise be to Dana White.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Lone Goat posted:

The MMA threads don't have any of that trash so no that's not the issue.

To be fair to my beautiful, perfect threads and their immaculate community of the wise and brave, we also get exponentially less traffic. I'm pretty sure if you combine the monthly thread and all the GDTs we equal maybe one Dynamite GDT in a good month. We're basically a really cool retirement home.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

can I suggest winning IK contests and then using the buttons to just open and close threads like an herb

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Cavauro posted:

there's like 70 to 200 people browsing the forum all the time. if the argument is that most of these people read the threads and shake their heads in disgust because they can't have good wrestling discussion, then first of all that's more than enough people to fulfill the dream somewhere. why it has to be here i don't know. if there's a sense of ownership or longing to use this place and boot out the jagoffs or make them fall in line, then present your case to hand knit or someone in a sensible way. point out exactly how much better a forum it is if they would force people to stop being silly and to permit only the most "readable" impassioned wrestling love letters. entrust one another with writing out some example posts that you'd make if you felt it would be worthwhile. as it is, there are like 3 or 4 posts a week of someone insulting another person and going to this well of justice to act like it's warranted. there's no discussion to be had about this because every time someone brings it up they are acting as agents of how things must be and saying the majority of users are in a group together. a group that is willfully keeping this place bad. it's not reasonable. It reads much more like you enjoy insulting the people who post here first and foremost and don't really care that much about the rest. prove me wrong or stop it.

this answer isn't wrong, and I think it's the only one we can realistically reach, but boy, it feels bad when our already small community has to relitigate this problem on a bimonthly basis and every time we do there are a few voices that haven't been heard in awhile that chime in to say 'actually, yeah, the thread culture is kind of weird and it's why I mostly stopped posting in it,' and the general response is a helpless shrug because thread culture isn't really a thing that can be identified let alone shifted and all we can do is have the threads proceed in the way most of the people in the threads want them to.

And that probably, is, all we can do. These problems aren't problems in the sense of problems, they're problems in the sense of in any party with more than your close friends in it someone's going to think someone's an rear end in a top hat. It's just a forum and all we can do is post or not post on it. but it sure does suck to see people constantly get into fights about the idea of in-groups and out-groups existing on our forum floating in space when the inevitable ending to every discussion about how it's stupid to think of people in a group having collective posting standards is the reminder that the majority of posters like things this way.

I do not think there is a better answer outside of asking people to be kind, which we already do. the enertron gives me rest, but I'm still hungry.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Whole thing seems like kind of a meanspirited shebang to me when

CarlCX posted:

I do not think there is a better answer outside of asking people to be kind

but enjoy the mod challenge, I guess

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I saw the Big Show at a Smackdown back in the year 2000. I can confirm that it is the position of the IK firewall that he is large.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Tampa Bae posted:

I feel really bad about piling onto people who are going through some kind of bad emotional response to the internet but I'll never understand why when called a bad poster some people decide to double or triple down on it and start picking fights with the entire forum. at some point you've either got to decide the place you're on is toxic and you should just leave quietly or realize you're the one that's a problem

sometimes it can be both i guess

This place is one of the least lovely places left to talk about punchsports on the internet, and a big part of that is an openly stated intolerance for the kind of toxicity that permeates most of said other places, and I think a lot of people who wind up at odds with the body public of the forum--sometimes for reasons that are good, sometimes for reasons that are bad, sometimes for mixtures of both that are just deeply weird--feel a certain sense of betrayal about that. 'If we care so much about not being lovely to people why are you being lovely to me' becomes another source of anger that reinforces the original anger rather than making you question if your mockery was warranted and if your reaction is fueling more of it.

I am not in the AEW threads enough to know the background, I mostly just see the drama when it spills over and I hope everyone is not being a dick. Except That DICK!, who is legally exempt.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Congratulations. Keep them safe from the same terrible habits we have.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

This is the other half of why I'm fine staying an IK. Becoming a mod is some kind of terrifying mummy curse.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Brut posted:

What the gently caress. Welp it's just me and Karmic again, like old times.

Hell, you didn't even technically ever agree to become actual IK, you won a contest and I just never took it away cuz I saw you change a thread title or something at some point. Someone might just mod you in the same way one day :getin:.

If I wake up one day and I am a mod, my first order of business is chain-probing everyone in every thread until the inability to post makes us all nicer.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

eat my fuc is now continually beset upon in the WWE thread by barbarians and monsters, give them the power to repel them

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It's actually mandatory for IKs to do giant droning posts now. I'm sorry.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

As people who share beginning name letters I will be Cav's legal proxy on request.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The frequency with which shitposting crosses into posting about posters and getting into namecalling and deciding who is or isn't a weirdo/freak/psychopath etc. is, for the record, why

MotU posted:

Just let people murder each other with posts, mods posting “it’s ok to have opinions” every time anything negative comes up has strong “do you give up” ref energy

we keep doing this. It's not that the concept isn't self-evident, it's to ask people to quit being dicks. It sucks. It should not have to suck. You have the power to make it not suck.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

That DICK! posted:

just asking for reconsideration of Tony Khan's Outworld

MotU posted:

Bet Sematary

either of these is fantastic

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

Yeah, it's definitely not serious. Really that's the whole thing, none of it is serious and folks just need to be better about not getting gotten to. If someone is needling you or winding you up over the Internet, no they're not. They are a million miles away from you and you can walk away whenever. If you're getting winded up over the Internet through puns on your favorite wrestlers please don't

Here's the thing, though: This isn't actually carte blanche to be a dick! 'None of this is serious and if you're mad just walk away' isn't actually any more accurate a social staple rule than 'don't be enough of a jerk that people feel the need to walk away from you,' and putting 100% of the burden on people who are upset is a big part of how you wind up with people choosing to just not participate in the community anymore.

I don't think Erin's probe was bad and I don't think it's actually unhealthy for a community to talk to itself about why people are getting so mad all the time. 'Quit caring about what people say' is both not an effective answer and incredibly dismissive towards other people.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm asking people to control the things they can control in a public space. I think the reactions are outsized compared to the offense when the offense is

I agree, but the precipitating offense here wasn't rivals.com pun names, it was a group antagonism meltdown. Which is part of what gets us here:

Elephant Ambush posted:

And the dumbest part is that I'm probably going to get a probe for this post instead of the unfunny assholes who intentionally antagonize other people for fun

Out of the many, many reports that came out of that thread, you were one of them who also got probed because, in railing against people doing group antagonism, you got mad and started doing the same thing.

That DICK! posted:

i think elephant ambush makes a great point: corrective sixers aren't great for much beyond appeasing posters like elephant ambush, an eternally joyless creature that views itself as a 'literal victim' of the forum

No, you're definitely right, That DICK!. People like Elephant Ambush who've been posting here for years across multiple threads over multiple companies about how much they like the sport are definitely just joyless "it" creatures and they definitely don't have any kind of a point or valid frustration about people here getting overly lovely sometimes. You have definitely posted a good thing here.

I will be screaming my divine prayers to the great Pain Worm that the terrible heaven of the void will make a corrective probation work just this once, just for me.

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, I don't even look at the threads for modern stuff anymore (other than the NWA, that poo poo's hilarious). The vibes here are better than anywhere else wrestling is discussed on the internet, but I still don't want 'em.

Genuinely, unironically, I think there needs to be some collective reflection on the idea that a bunch of people who have been around for a long time do not feel like being here anymore. gently caress, I was one of them for awhile. And that happens! Sometimes people go away. But there's a persistent pattern of recurring blowups that ultimately get dismissed because community is big and abstract and it's easier to just tell people not to care and to :justpost:, and after several years of doing that we have the same recurring blowups and the only tangible difference is a larger preponderance of people who don't want to be here anymore.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

yea ok posted:

Every time this thread has this feedback loop, nobody has anything tangible to say besides "vibes" or "the thread is so bad!". Personally I have never had more negativity in my direction than when I started souring on the product and posting thoughts saying as much. I make it a point to try my best to never post about posters, but only about the product and my thoughts on it and the people involved. In my experience, the majority of people upset with the Vibes tend to be the ones who immediately make it the most personal, or are the quickest to say how dumb, stupid or fucktarded some crew that they made up in their head is.

Not to call out Elephant Ambush, but I suppose I will. In their long post there it's full of personal attacks, insults, lumping people together and is so much more negative and to me, much worse vibes than anything prior or since. Just because someone enjoys what they watch does not mean they are a positive person, or contribute positively to a thread.

In doing my best to continue being transparent, I thought about if Elephant Ambush's post also needed a 'don't do this poo poo' punishment the way I was giving one to That DICK!'s and ultimately decided not to because, even though it's real fuckin' aggro and negative, rather than just an individual you're-a-shithead form of negativity it was an attempt at discussing the thing that's bothering them and it was happening in the feedback thread. In the AEW thread it'd be lovely and derailing and I would have hit it, but if there's a thread to try to talk about it, this is it.

JUNGLE BOY posted:

I was going to keep my mouth shut because I hashed it out with EM.F in PMs but this is a really stupid probe. Elephant Ambush is not offering up feedback, I actually have no idea what the gently caress they're offering up besides lashing out at a bunch of people. I have no idea where anyone is getting the idea that I want to "gently caress with other people's emotions" and it actually makes me deeply uncomfortable that someone is malding this badly about everything I post and I wish anyone who is doing that would not read my posts, that's not why I come here.

I would also love to hear more about what you're defining as "group antagonism" and to see some concrete examples of it since you have called it out. Was it when I was called "covered in poo poo", "feigning ignorance", a bad faith malicious troll or is that not the group antagonism you were referring to? Because the post I was probed for was me giving back negative energy to several posters who were giving it to me after I got fed up. There are some people here who love to hit others because they don't like their opinions and then smash the report button as soon as someone hits back and its kind of pathetic.

In equal transparency: I didn't probe you, Erin did, so I'll let Erin address it if they want because I don't want to speak for them. I came in to help with the aftermath, and one of the concrete examples I would give is, say, the 'everyone is covered in poo poo and you're dumb' post Elephant Ambush made that I probed them for, which you're now referencing angrily as an example of a thing that should have been punished for group antagonism, which I did, for explicitly that given reason, because I agree with you that it loving sucked. So I'm glad we're on the same page, I guess?

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Maybe I am completely misunderstanding your earlier post here but I interpreted this as you saying EA's post was in response to group antagonism, not the source of it, so I guess I'm not sure what the earlier group antagonism being referenced is?

I think you're kind of misunderstanding it?

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yes clearly the problem is the people covered in poo poo and not the people spraying poo poo everywhere. Brilliant brain you have there

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Elephant Ambush was replying to what they perceived as group antagonism and I was trying to communicate that they were becoming the source of the thing they were mad about. Saying "you're railing against people doing group antagonism" is just a literal descriptor of what they posted.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Wrestling has ruined everything and can no longer be trusted. In 2024 you're only allowed to post about shoot-style promotions and how cool the Golden Cups were.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

The problem with the epic rereg guys is it takes however long it takes the admins to check if they are in fact epic rereg guys, else we get into situations like almost kicking out the dude everyone was sure was smarxist who turned out to not actually be smarxist.

There had already been some concerns raised about the thread and the various wishings of death going on in it that would normally get punished, but I didn't really want to hit anyone yesterday because a) gently caress Vince McMahon and b) I think we communally needed time to be furious, but yeah, I don't think a night off was a bad idea. The biggest story in wrestling isn't going away in 8 hours.

(Still waiting on rereg check results.)

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Honestly, personally, I agree. I think at a certain point of inflicting evil on the world it becomes incredibly understandable.

But I am not the owner of SA and I do not deal with the legal liabilities of SA, and having seen the crap that goes on for the guy who does: I get it.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I have been posting with you all for most of my adult life and it would be insane to stop now. You are neat and do not let people give you poo poo about jackets, EMF.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

As an MMA mod I'm obviously for it but we just renamed the forum for Sting a few days ago so I wasn't sure how folks would feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

My favorite name for the forum was 'why do these losers keep posting about fake wrestling in SAS'