Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hey y'all! Your other friendly new mod here. I'm going to be less active for another week or so while I'm away for work, so you may not see me popping up as often as I usually do in threads.

That being said, I want to echo a lot of what Critical already said in their very good post earlier. We didn't really communicate on our approach to modding or anything but we both seem to have come to a pretty similar plan of action for the forum. I really, truly don't want to have to probate anyone and for sure don't want to ban anyone. So far, both Critical and I have seen conversations getting weird a couple of times and jumped in to try and break the cycle there. I don't know if that's for sure been the reason threads didn't go fully off the rails and don't want to toot my own horn or anything, but I hope it helps!

I'd also echo the request to not dogpile on folks, whether it's because they said something you disagree with or are being legitimate dumb shits. I don't know if it necessarily helps for multiple people to quote a probate-able post multiple times, because then it just keeps living through the thread. Maybe it'd be best to just report the post or feel free to shoot me a PM if you see a post that needs some action on it. Again, as a new mod I'm not saying this is a rule but it's something I've seen that I don't think benefits anyone and just gives a bad poster a reason to keep making bad posts until things get terrible.

Everyone has bad days. Everyone will make a post they wish they hadn't. I want to say, it's nice to see Elephant Ambush come back from a probation and own up to things & apologize. I don't know if I see that happen all that often around here and it's a nice thing to see!

I became a goon in 2005 and, sadly, have not looked back since. I rarely ever venture out of this forum for anything. This is a fun place to post and I'm pretty stoked that I was selected to be a mod because now I can rule with unfettered power do my part to help in keeping this a nice place to post.

In closing, enjoy these pictures of our cats:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

JOHN CENA posted:

im going to feed you to mother wurm

HAIL MOTHER W– oh wait. I don’t live in Austin anymore 🪱

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

If we’re talking about the “bisexual doesn’t mean he’s had 2 relationships” joke then I apologize for egging it on. When I first read the post I was prepared be annoyed because I thought it was a lovely dig, and I didn’t realize what the joke was until others quoted it and it sunk in for a minute.

I know Critical jumped in earlier in the thread to shut down the incessant speculation over someone’s sexuality, and maybe we can all just agree as a group to not make jokes that may be questionable especially after people were being real loving weird earlier in the same thread.

As a non-straight person, I can’t say the joke offends me but I also know we’re all different so I can’t assume the way I feel is the way everyone does or should feel. So let’s just maybe talk about wrestling and the people involved and not their personal sex lives.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I think it’s all been settled at this point so we probably don’t need to keep doing a roll call of who did and didn’t find it funny.

As mods well try to be better at not amplifying posts that could be taken the wrong way and as posters we can all try to stop talking about wrestlers’ sexuality per the updated rules.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

karmicknight posted:

Would anyone care if the AEW TV Deal thread gets renamed to the AEW Business thread since it seems to be moving that direction.

Do what’s in your heart

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I think I kind of bounce back and forth on containment threads. For something like Cornette, it makes sense because he's a true moron and not everybody wants to see or discuss his idiocy (like why we have a regular social thread, then an idiots social thread). I would say, if the Punk discussion and derails continue after everything is settled then maybe a standalone thread to discuss The Rise and Fall of CM Punk would be fine. Currently, Punk news is still technically AEW news until he's no longer working there. I really do see arguments both ways, though.

Also, I guess if you're in the thread and want to talk about something other than CM Punk, post about something other than CM Punk? I feel like the thread is generally able to divert to another topic if it's more interesting than running something into the ground, but it would also be nice to not run things into the ground in the first place.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

fez_machine posted:

I'll plug my dead effort post thread Wrestling Guides Thread: Effort Post Your Faves, if people really want a place to do long form stuff but don't know where to put it.

Eventually, I'll write my posts on Colt Cabana's 2019 in NJPW, a weird run that was ended very abruptly by the pandemic but left us with the indelible image of him awkwardly standing with the major NJPW faces as NJPW said good bye to Tiger Hattori.

I used to write about wrestling on my little blog that nobody read (except for one very popular post about how to sign up for Stardom World before they redesigned the website), maybe I should start doing that again. Don't know if I was particularly good at it but I did enjoy it and I've had an idea for a post about the top 5 wrestlers named after modes of transportation that I never got back to.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Rarity posted:

Is one of them A-Train?

There's a Train, but he's made of Ice instead of A

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cavauro posted:

In a diplomatic way, shut up about that guy. Nothing happened

:hmmyes:

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Could we get the dont post bigots rule in the OP of the Chris Regal thread? I don’t know how well it’ll deter the occasional hate parade but it might help a little bit.

That thread is a nightmare to try and edit on a phone, I can add it when I’m at my computer in a bit.

But consider this the official certification of “don’t post bigots or hate speech in the bad takes thread”

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

IGgy IGsen posted:

The rules should be right on top of that thread rather than a little bit down imo. It's an MRT op so people either read the entire thing with awe or skip it entirely because they don't have enough time, maybe save it for when they are on vacation. Those people won't even see the rules a little bit in.

Good call. The rules were also (partially) at the bottom of the OP, so they’re now the bread of a big OP sandwich to make sure they’re not missed.

If someone can’t follow the rules of the thread, they now truly have no excuse.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Honestly just feels like it's a slippery slope. Once there's a precedent for "but it was just a joke!", it opens the door IMO. In the end, just don't make the post to begin with.

Also I tend to be able to look past stuff if I think it's just dumb, but if someone takes the time to report a post and their report isn't a joke I look at it differently.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 1, 2022

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MJeff posted:

So uh.

Is there like. A line with the dude that constantly insults people and has now graduated to dropping slurs?

Who's this now? I'm just getting online this morning so haven't trudged through all of the bullshit of the AEW thread yet (or anywhere else there may be other bullshit). Feel free to PM or report something if a post/poster needs to be looked at.

Cavauro posted:

This is merely a suggestion just like anything else but don't keep letting people get away with critiquing the vibes.

I don't know what critiquing the vibes means

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Tarnop posted:

Check the lepers colony, I'm guessing it refers to the probes Critical just dropped

Oh, I saw slur and assumed someone was being racist or something. I guess I never identified the c-word as a slur but vulgar and lovely depending on the context (and I guess geographical location, too).

Nobody is allowed to post in the AEW thread while the mods are asleep anymore.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cavauro posted:

i want to make it clear that critiquing the vibe means nothing. Thank you for all the work; past, present, and future.

Please don't critique your own posts

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I personally think the AEW thread could do with a lot less of the running things into the ground jokes (I know I know, that’s kind of the SA brand) - bad number, derangement syndrome, whatever it is where you just call someone a mark for not liking a segment, goon object permanence, etc.

For instance, it just makes it annoying to read the thread when someone might have a legit question about someone who hasn’t been on TV in a few weeks and they get piled on for asking because “people are allowed to not be on TV every week”. Usually nobody is arguing that - they’re just asking about someone.

Good morning, thread.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Critical posted:

hey listen

decided modding was not for me at this particular moment in time. hope i was able to help those who needed it and wish the rest of the mods well, you guys are awesome. figured i would address it now so people don't assume poo poo. see yall in the posting mines.

It was an honor serving with you.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

JOHN CENA posted:

do your duty and nail him with the ganso

I will ONLY use my powers for good, not evil or death

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

One probe for every time MJF has kicked Ricky in the balls

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I love a good toxx. What fun is posting on a dead forum if you can’t make a stupid bet for fun and your only punishment is not posting for a week?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

NienNunb posted:

None of this would have happened if Stone Cold 64 had rigged the contest in my favor like I had suggested to them

I oughta give you a sixer for trying to rig a contest

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cavauro posted:

accept or deny my apology

I refuse to even acknowledge it

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

ItohRespectArmy posted:

when i win the ik contest my reign of terror will not be matched

Ok MJF

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Penguin Patrol posted:

seems ok so far

Give it time

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Bans on horny posting should never be lifted.

Also, everyone should just be friendly and cool with each other while either ignoring the posters you don't like or having rational and calm discussions.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hey let’s not do this poo poo in this thread or any other. If you have a problem with a poster, either ignore them or solve the problem in a way that you can both coexist without tanking a thread.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

STAC Goat posted:

I used to post a lot about wrestling. I used to post whenever this conversation came up. I’ve been trying to stop both. Because clearly the place I want this to be isnt the place mods or a vocal plurality of the forum wants it to be. And that’s life. I can keep making enemies by having a different opinion or I can try and move on. Nothings really gonna change otherwise.

I would love for this to be a forum where people are just cool and chill and funny but some posters are still destined to post like poo poo but not in a way that’s bannable or anything.

We’ve had some decently long stretches where no one loses their minds and no posts get reported because no one is posting like poo poo. It’d be great if it was like that all of the time.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I just think it would be nice if we all took a step back sometimes. We all like the same thing, we can have a community that matches that vibe. Most places on the internet don't match it, but most people here are cool. :)

This is how I've thought about the forums for a while now, even before becoming a mod.

This is such a silly thing we all like and this is such a silly place to spend :10bux: to talk about it. I probably sound like a broken record, but I just wish the forums (the AEW threads especially) could chill a bit and have a good time talking about wrestling in a more sincere way. I, too, get tired of the endless "number bad", "weepy wangman", etc. stuff. Not like I haven't made these types of posts/jokes before, but man do they get run into the ground here in an unusual way.

I also hope that the people who feel like they've been run out of threads because people jumped on them for having an opinion and made them feel uncomfortable come back to the threads and can post without feeling that same way again.

At the end of the day, it's wrestling. It's just wrestling. And unless there are secret wrestlers on the forums (hello Kane, hello Tony Khan) then we really have no skin in the game and probably shouldn't care quite as much as we do.

I dunno. Just typing into the void and hoping we can have better forums that are fun for more people and easier for new folks to get into.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

NienNunb posted:

What’s your stance on the phrase Pissbaby, which gets posts nine to ten times more than Weepy Wangman?

I must have mentally filtered it out of my brain. But as a general stance, I don’t care much about any of these phrases outside of being tired of seeing them used over and over again. None of them bother me at a personal level or anything.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It's been covered, but yeah – if the puns and jokes that get run into the ground here become actually offensive rather than just a little annoying because they're overused then we may need to re-litigate on rivals.com puns

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Here’s the deal: if you think a user is continually getting away with something or you’re fed up with them doing something that goes against forum rules, report them.

Everyone has the report button.

It doesn’t seem like this has happened here so far.

There have been a number of reports today that have either been handled or are being handled.

Everyone has made their points. Report something if you think it needs reporting as a first step.

But at the same time, take responsibility for your posts and if you’ve made a lovely post then own it. We all make stupid posts and maybe we don’t realize it until someone calls it out, or maybe we don’t think it’s stupid and just want to post like a jerk. It takes all kinds. So maybe don’t post stupid posts is a good first step, and reporting is a good second step.

Ganso Bomb fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 14, 2023

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

JUNGLE BOY posted:

Personally I think the posters that continuously justify bigotry should have to modify their behavior instead of the people who don't like bigotry, but that's just me. Maybe the truth is in the middle this time, but it never seems to be the case.

You may have missed the part where I said to report bad posts when they happen, as opposed to coming to the feedback thread and asking to ban a user outright.

I don’t read that cursed thread so I’m not up on all of the horrors within it. I’m only one mod, but we can’t all know when a lovely post happens unless it’s reported. Use the buttons!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

yea ok posted:

Hello moderator. I both reported and made the request in here! Thank you for your feed back. Lol. Thankfully he will still be able to post all of his deranged poo poo, while we all take a step back and reassess.

I’m saying to report them regularly. There’s this air of “they always make bad posts” but they aren’t often reported! If they had been, then their rap sheet would indicate as much and it doesn’t.

If you see a bad post and think it should be reported, report it. Don’t assume someone else will or something. If you think it deserves mod eyes, report it. Don’t just report one post when you’ve finally hit your limit and then ask for a ban.

I didn’t think it was that wild of an idea to suggest.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Gumball Gumption posted:

The last three things on their sheet are related to exactly this.

Forum bans are dumb so I'm not for or against but the things people are talking about are right there in the rap sheet.

With the vitriol everyone seems to have with them ITT I assumed they were doing this type of posting on the daily, but they have 3 probes in the last year or so. So that’s not like an insane track record on the surface, you know?

I guess that’s why this “ban them now!” mindset feels somewhat out of left field, because they don’t have a rap sheet that’s as decorated as much as some other regular posters here. I guess if they only post once a quarter and it’s always a bad post, that explains why.

All I’m trying to do or suggest is to use the features of the forum to do the things you want the mods to do.

Don’t want anyone to think I’m handwaving or whatever, and obviously I’m not the only mod so it’s not like my way or the highway - just trying to explain my reasoning and line of thinking.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

jesus WEP posted:

it is mandatory for at least one person to make the most lovely bad faith reading of every post a mod makes on this web forum

It’s how I know I’ve really made it

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

That DICK! posted:

I get that enclosed pool area is a jokey forum where anyone can say any blatant untrue thing they want, but can the mods actually get off their fat asses and do something about people saying the big show isn't actually that big in this, the wrestling forum of record? the big show stands at 7'4 without shoes or anything and it seems loving absurd to me that the mods would A. not know this B. would not know that this constitutes a person being big. why do we even have mods if they're going to police jokes but not genuinely hosed up poo poo?

Stopped reading after you implied all mods have fat asses. I have almost no rear end, so I will not be taking action.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I'm in the northeastern US and have never said, and will never say, merry-o

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

graph posted:

i thought it was primal rage not tribal

Maybe it was

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Check out the merch thread for all of your good merch needs. A couple of links have been updated because IG has wrought havoc on a few sellers' accounts and they've had to start new ones, so if you notice any other links in the OP that aren't working anymore let mek now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Didn’t know where else to post this so I’ll put it here - it has been the honor of my lifetime to be a PSP Mod, but I’ve relinquished the reigns. I’m just not finding myself online quite as much lately and am actively trying to do more things away from screens, but I’ll of course still be posting here and hanging out in AEW GDTs.

I at least hope my time as a mod did some good and helped out around here.

I am now an official member of Just Five Guys Posters.