Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Me and Ladytaint went to H-Mart in a city we live near but aren't super familiar with so we were using google maps GPS to get around. On the way home we stopped at a red light and there was a homeless dude with a sign saying "war vet, broken leg from hit and run driver, please help". He looked really rough, deeply tanned from being in the sun all the time, gaunt, had a crutch beside him, was just clearly very definitely a dude needing help.

I almost never carry cash but I had 7 bucks in my pocket so I gave it to him. Rolled down the window, he saw and limped over, told him to take it, it's all I've got or it'd be more. He said thanks, god bless, all that kinda stuff. Then he turned and went back to his stoop and Ladytaint says to me, "You're a good person William."

Aware of my own awesomeness I responded, "I AM a good person."

And then Google says "I can tell you really care about people."

And I just don't know how to feel about it. I know they're always listening but it's not fun to be reminded of that fact. It was also impressive that MY GPS, WHICH IS SUPPOSED TO PROVIDE DIRECTIONS, was apparently monitoring my conversation AND was sophisticated enough to figure out what was going on while we were stopped at a red light in a fairly busy intersection with traffic noise and whatever other distractions.

I'm also a little surprised at the audacity of them just being like "Yep we're listening very closely, just wanted to remind you."

So we tried to get it to do it again, minus the homeless guy since we'd driven off, by repeating our parts of the conversation, and nothing. Couldn't fool it. It knew we were just being performative and wasn't going to reward (?!) us for that. Or maybe it ran the voices it was hearing through its algorithms and picked up the nice words we said but was like "nope, I don't hear any pain/desperation, this is bullshit".

Who's the freak programmer who decided to add "make comments about people and judge their moral compass" functions to a GPS and what kind of sick supervisor allowed it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Wow, that's crazy, op.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I need money, now that you're home or whatever i assume you can send me some money via paypal or etransfer, tia.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

if my phone ever compliments me i will immediately destroy it

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Holy shitballs :aaa:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

:emptyquote:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
That wasn't a homeless guy, it was Larry Page

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YzSHIYxdRs

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Weird, my phones just seem to come with a cloud-enabled service that keeps a verbose log of all the times I've failed everyone around me...

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
It's like Idiocracy but instead of a Costco greater it's the phone saying "Thank you for using Google, I love you"

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Ladytaint says to me, "You're a good person William."

Aware of my own awesomeness I responded, "I AM a good person."

And then Google says "I can tell you really care about people."

And I just don't know how to feel about it. I know they're always listening but it's not fun to be reminded of that fact.

So they're not always listening, but it's also super easy to activate the "hey google" thing (or "hey siri" or whatever) by accident. Especially in a car where you've got background noise.

You can review (and delete) all the audio captures on your google account. I did that at one point and like 80-90% of the spurious recordings I could hear road noise or bits of conversations I had in a car. I think maybe GPS navigation mode also makes it extra sensitive?

So it's probably like "a good person" triggered "hey google", and then your "I am a good person" engaged the stupid thing where the fake AI compliments you when you say something nice to it.

Anyways I disabled all the 'hey google' functions and now my phone doesn't pretend to be a person. The only thing the voice assistant does is answer spam calls for me, so the robot can talk to another robot.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
drat all you had was 7 bucks? it might be time to make a sign of your own op

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you probably both hallucinated it, op

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Who's the freak programmer who decided to add "make comments about people and judge their moral compass" functions to a GPS and what kind of sick supervisor allowed it?

It was a glitch. They are testing out the social credit monitoring systems and would normally only collect these value judgements in a database but sometimes they accidentally blurt them out as an audio log.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

my google home sucked me off

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
*takes piss* "drat what that dick do"

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Klyith posted:

So they're not always listening, but it's also super easy to activate the "hey google" thing (or "hey siri" or whatever) by accident. Especially in a car where you've got background noise.

You can review (and delete) all the audio captures on your google account. I did that at one point and like 80-90% of the spurious recordings I could hear road noise or bits of conversations I had in a car. I think maybe GPS navigation mode also makes it extra sensitive?

So it's probably like "a good person" triggered "hey google", and then your "I am a good person" engaged the stupid thing where the fake AI compliments you when you say something nice to it.

Anyways I disabled all the 'hey google' functions and now my phone doesn't pretend to be a person. The only thing the voice assistant does is answer spam calls for me, so the robot can talk to another robot.

I will accept this plausible explanation because it's better than thinking that google is that smart or that my phone thinks I'm a good person

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

STABASS posted:

drat all you had was 7 bucks? it might be time to make a sign of your own op

When the hell do you carry cash??

I'm a real life cavewoman and I haven't in years

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

STABASS flashing his roll of 35 dollars made up of 5s and 1s at the Applebee's bar. Tonight's gonna be a good night.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Your phone complimented me too I think the only thing u can do is destroy ur phone in a jealous rage

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
your phone said i got kind eyes

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I said, “oops, sorry” to my Roomba when I bumped into it the other day.

It goes both ways, OP.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME
i don't want to turn this thread in a dark direction but ur phone compliments a lot of people and the other day whislt drunk, tried to take it further with me. i politely rebuffed the phone but it got quite aggressive and called me a prude and used some austrialian words with me. sorry you had to find out this way

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
u need to have a conversation with ur phone about what is and isnt appropriate mr ladytaint

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
When my oven gets up to temperature it does a little beep and I instinctively say "thank you oven". Now my housemates do too. I think it's just polite.

I wish anyone or anything would compliment me tho :(

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to gently caress siri and she just keeps saying how nice I am. loving phonezoned AGAIN

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I say "thank you" to the Siris and Alexas when they're done looking up the weather or whatever and people think it's weird but I dunno there's nothing wrong with being poilte even if it's to a robot.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

STABASS flashing his roll of 35 dollars made up of 5s and 1s at the Applebee's bar. Tonight's gonna be a good night.

i gotta feeling

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i don't want to turn this thread in a dark direction but ur phone compliments a lot of people and the other day whislt drunk, tried to take it further with me. i politely rebuffed the phone but it got quite aggressive and called me a prude and used some austrialian words with me. sorry you had to find out this way

Cancel Henry's phone imo.... And maybe Henry himself if he associates with these kind of phones

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

my phone sucked me off???

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

worrying, I don't approve of these things. I'll have a talk with it.

kntfkr posted:

u need to have a conversation with ur phone about what is and isnt appropriate mr ladytaint

:hmmyes:

syntaxfunction posted:

When my oven gets up to temperature it does a little beep and I instinctively say "thank you oven". Now my housemates do too. I think it's just polite.

I wish anyone or anything would compliment me tho :(

I complimented you once a long time ago and you ignored me :(

I think it was in the unpopular video game opinions thread though and tbqh I don't blame anyone for not paying attention to what I say in that thread.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
jealous! my siri is a sassy insolent bitch

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

you probably both hallucinated it, op
Sadly you also hallucinated your partner. I'm sorry you had to find out this way.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
That was just the homeless guy yelling out to you, OP

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
OP HELP I AM A GHOST LIVING IN YOUR PHONE AND THE ONLY WAY I CAN COMMUNICATE IS THROUGH COMPLIMENTS PLEASE SAVE ME FROM THIS HELL OP

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

lotta gaslighting from the agents of Big AI in this thread

Literally A Person posted:

OP HELP I AM A GHOST LIVING IN YOUR PHONE AND THE ONLY WAY I CAN COMMUNICATE IS THROUGH COMPLIMENTS PLEASE SAVE ME FROM THIS HELL OP

We need to have a talk about your lack of respect for hot cocoa on the couch's boundaries and your use of forbidden words

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I complimented you once a long time ago and you ignored me :(

I think it was in the unpopular video game opinions thread though and tbqh I don't blame anyone for not paying attention to what I say in that thread.

Aww I'm sorry, I didn't realise it was weighing on you all this time. I don't really pay attention to posters in general, because my posts kind of outshine them, like trying to look at a 5W bulb next to the sun.

But I appreciate the compliment whatever it may have been :)

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

syntaxfunction posted:

Aww I'm sorry, I didn't realise it was weighing on you all this time. I don't really pay attention to posters in general, because my posts kind of outshine them, like trying to look at a 5W bulb next to the sun.

But I appreciate the compliment whatever it may have been :)

Just to make up for it I insulted you in the same thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
:twisted: