Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

It's nice to see this thread come back to life, I had bookmarked it a while ago but had to come to accept it was forgotten.

This isn't directly related to veganism, but I'm reading a book about eating called "Eating in Theory" by Annemarie Mol, who is one of my favorite anthropologists. I'm maybe half way through it, so a ways to go before drawing any definitive conclusions, but it's been interesting so far and thought it might also be interesting to people here. Not sure it discusses veganism in depth, I still have a ways to go, but I'd argue still relevant and surely provides a fresh perspective from which to look at food, eating, and what that means to humans.

quote:

As we taste, chew, swallow, digest, and excrete, our foods transform us, while our eating, in its turn, affects the wider earthly environment. In Eating in Theory Annemarie Mol takes inspiration from these transformative entanglements to rethink what it is to be human. Drawing on fieldwork at food conferences, research labs, health care facilities, restaurants, and her own kitchen table, Mol reassesses the work of authors such as Hannah Arendt, Maurice Merleau-Ponty, Hans Jonas, and Emmanuel Levinas. They celebrated the allegedly unique capability of humans to rise above their immediate bodily needs. Mol, by contrast, appreciates that as humans we share our fleshy substance with other living beings, whom we cultivate, cut into pieces, transport, prepare, and incorporate—and to whom we leave our excesses. This has far-reaching philosophical consequences. Taking human eating seriously suggests a reappraisal of being as transformative, knowing as entangling, doing as dispersed, and relating as a matter of inescapable dependence.

https://www.dukeupress.edu/eating-in-theory

If anyone does actually end up reading it, I'd love to talk about it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU