Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Serious question: If honey isn't allowed because it exploits bees.

Are you not allowed to eat commercially grown fruit, since most of it is dependent on captured bee hives pollinating the flowers to produce that fruit?

Should you insist on fruit that is pollinated purely from wild bees?

Moral issues aside, I watched "Maximum Nutrition Transitioning Towards a Plant Based Diet" several years ago, and used the advice to try to maximize the amount of vegetables in your meal and minimize or eliminate meat. I generally feel better, even though I haven't been able to lose weight.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9nNa81dSoY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

For the vegans of this thread, what do you typically eat during the week?

Breakfast for me is oatmeal, almond milk, frozen blueberries, ground flax seed.

For lunch I'll have bean pasta with marinara sauce and chopped kale mixed in, or brown rice and beans.

Dinner is hard because my family expects a hunk of meat with sides (the typical American dinner).

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Cheesus posted:

For me personally, buying into what is presented by the likes of Greger and nutritionfacts is enough: plant based is healthier than meat based diets.

I suspect that selling point would be much stronger to the general population than ethics of animals.

I agree, but you have to stress the "whole" plant based.

veganism isn't necessarily healthier. french fries, potato chips, candy, sugar, oil, etc isn't healthy.
Eating a meal of a bag of potato chips and a bunch of candy vs baked fish and broccoli.

I liked one of Dr Greger's videos, he said when you talk about food, its always in relation to what? An egg is healthy when you compare it to sausage. But that egg is unhealthy compared to a can of beans. Giving up eating meat in exchange for a high fat, highly processed vegan diet isn't necessarily healthier.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Verviticus posted:

maybe. but i dare you to find me something that suggests that all-plant diet is healthier than meat-inclusive

What? Just go to nutionfacts.org, pretty much every scientific study (that isn't funded by meat producers) shows whole plant foods are better for you.

Oh, here, from off the top of my memory there is a study that people from Uganda, who eat a mostly plant based diet, have ZERO heart disease. That same demographic moves to the USA and eat a typical standard American diet, and suffers the same amount of heart disease as Americans. Let me google that one.

ee:
This was the one I was thinking of
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kAr6iuxuqQ

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXXXygDRyBU&t=726s

ee: USA's number one killer doesn't even exists in areas of the world who eat a plant based diet.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 16, 2022

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Trapick posted:

100% vegan is healthier than heavily plant based with occasional fish and eggs (or something).

Verviticus posted:

maybe. but i dare you to find me something that suggests that all-plant diet is healthier than meat-inclusive

Of course, that's not what I said either. You eat mostly whole plant based diet, with the occasion meat, is for all in tents and porpoises the same thing.
The goal for health is to make the whole plants the bulk of your daily diet and you are good to go.

What you eat on occasion has must less impact, than what you eat day in and day out.

Its like when you are trying to lose weight, and one day a week you sneak in a donut, it doesn't really effect you, because the rest of the week you are eating healthily.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Verviticus posted:

edit: i know it was unintentional but you quoted trapick in an unbelievably poor way, hahahha

That was intentional :D

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Trapick posted:

Two can play at that game.

:bravo:

I think if you could only eat meat after you killed the animal yourself, there would be so many more vegans.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Is there a way to kill an animal ethically? Like drug it first so it falls asleep?

I grew up with my parents raising chickens for eggs, and occasionally meat, in their 0.5 acre backyard. You often hear the phrase "they lived a great life, with one bad day at the end", among people who raise animals in their backyard to eat. Whereas if you were to let those animals go free, they would be much skinnier, and most likely have many bad days, and their ending would be being viciously eaten alive.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Oct 17, 2022

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Animals are going to die and get eaten in the wild if we let them go free. I would like to be one of the predators who gets to eat those animals.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

If petroleum is made from old previously-living creatures, does that mean vegans can't buy plastic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Kalit posted:

Animals living today aren’t being harmed for petroleum. Broadly speaking, veganism is about minimizing harm to animals that are currently living

So its ok to eat road kill? (common in Alaska to get road kill moose)