Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mata posted:

It sounds from this thread that fake meat actually more expensive than real meat in the US, is that possible? What is the price of a kg (or whatever unit) of soy mince vs meat mince?

Stuff that tries to imitate meat gets pretty expensive in the US, yeah. I suspect a large part of it is because they're marketed as a premium product of sorts. It's pretty silly, I can spend like $6-$7 at the grocery store out here to get two impossible or beyond patties, or I could spend a few bucks less to get a 4 pack of veggie burgers that aren't trying to taste like meat but are tasty in their own way.

And heck, on a related tangent to that, most people who are buying those kinds of substitutes still eat meat. This is from 2019 so the numbers might be a lil different now but it definitely shows that a clear majority of people who are buying impossible and beyond stuff aren't vegan or vegetarian:

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/consumer/almost-90-percent-people-eating-non-meat-burgers-are-not-n1082146

quote:

NPD found that plant-based hamburgers are largely responsible for the increase in Americans’ consumption of plant-based proteins at restaurants, with nearly 80 percent of that growth coming from Impossible Burger and Beyond Meat. Aside from burgers, sales of plant-based versions of wings, sausage and meatballs have risen by double digits over the past year — and sales of plant-based Italian sausage have skyrocketed by 416 percent in that time.

NPD found that 16 percent of Americans say they “regularly” use plant-based alternatives to meat and dairy products, such as almond milk and meat substitutes. More unexpected, though, is that 89 percent of the people eating all of these tell NPD that they’re not vegetarian or vegan — they just like variety in their diets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Speaking as a vegan, if someone who knows I'm a vegan serves me something with cheese on it and tells me to just scrape it off, I'm never gonna trust any food they serve me ever again.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cicero posted:

I've heard that it can be difficult to be vegan in Japan. Even if you avoid obvious meat, stuff like soup broths will be meat-based (fish).

I have heard from pals that have traveled over there a few times that it has gotten better in recent years but you still gotta go out of your way to do research to find restaurants that do accommodate vegans for that kinda stuff.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

How are u posted:

:shrug:

The context of that anecdote was that we were having margaritas at a mexican food place, ordered chips and guac with no cheese, but it ended up coming with a sprinkling of cheese on top of the guac. Eminently easy to eat around, avoid, or scrape off, but the person in question made a big fuss and refused to even try to avoid the cheese. Inflexible on principle, regardless of the reality of the situation (easily avoidable cheese). I'm sure some people think that reaction is entirely reasonable, but to me it just seemed dramatic and fussy in the extreme.

tbh in that situation I totally side with her. It's extremely reasonable to be annoyed when you specifically tell them you want something to be excluded from a food order, only to have it be there. I wouldn't eat that guac either.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

If people who basically have nothing scrape together their most precious ingredients to offer you the best possible hospitality and you refuse on principle, that's kind of a dick move. Though they may not say it, in their eyes that action can mean "Your meat isn't worth eating and you failed as a host."

If they truly can't wrap their minds around the idea that there are people who don't eat meat and are offended if someone politely refuses while explaining that they don't eat meat, that's all on them.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tofu is pretty low in carbs and high in protein. Ditto with seitan, though it's not as low carb as tofu (though it has a wildly high amount of protein in it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MeinPanzer posted:

Meat substitutes are light years ahead of where they were even 5 years ago, and they’re only getting more varied and widely available all the time. Just a few months ago I found that the generic grocery store down the street started selling a great vegan version of pastrami that in a Reuben sandwich was honestly almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

While I bemoan that lots of restaurants have replaced their bean burgers with impossible/beyond burgers, I feel like it has been a net good overall because on the flip side many places that would never have dreamed of offering any vegan options besides maybe a salad (that you gotta modify!) will now at the very least offer an impossible or beyond burger.