Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I wouldn't eat moose not just because it's meat but also because of CWD. No idea if that's a problem in Alaskan moose but the fact that you don't know you've got it until like 10 years later is enough to scare me the gently caress away.

But I believe latest research has shown that the prions survive in plant matter too so yay everything is great 👍

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Lager posted:

I don't think there's been any cases of humans contracting CWD though? Has there been updated scientific research on this?

Here is what the CDC says:

https://www.cdc.gov/prions/cwd/transmission.html

quote:

The CWD prion has been shown to experimentally infect squirrel monkeys, and also laboratory mice that carry some human genes. An additional study begun in 2009 by Canadian and German scientists, which has not yet been published in the scientific literature, is evaluating whether CWD can be transmitted to macaques—a type of monkey that is genetically closer to people than any other animal that has been infected with CWD previously. On July 10, 2017, the scientists presented a summary of the study’s progress (access the recorded presentationExternalexternal icon), in which they showed that CWD was transmitted to monkeys that were fed infected meat (muscle tissue) or brain tissue from CWD-infected deer and elk. Some of the meat came from asymptomatic deer that had CWD (i.e., deer that appeared healthy and had not begun to show signs of the illness yet). Meat from these asymptomatic deer was also able to infect the monkeys with CWD. CWD was also able to spread to macaques that had the infectious material placed directly into their brains.

This study showed different results than a previous study published in the Journal of Virologyexternal icon in 2018, which had not shown successful transmission of CWD to macaques. The reasons for the different experimental results are unknown. To date, there is no strong evidence for the occurrence of CWD in people, and it is not known if people can get infected with CWD prions. Nevertheless, these experimental studies raise the concern that CWD may pose a risk to people and suggest that it is important to prevent human exposures to CWD.

The answer is "we don't know" but if I ate meat, I would probably avoid moose and random game in general, but I don't eat meat so it's a moot point for me. It's still scary as gently caress that I could eat some vegetable that some deer poo poo/spat in some years ago and then in 10 years I've developed some kind of CWD. It's not something that changes my day to day habits, but if I ate meat I would definitely avoid moose/elk just for this reason though, since it's not like moose/elk is extremely common anyway.