Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I dislike the philosophical argument because I think it follows the flawed modern logic that we exist outside of nature but I'm with the rest of it since even with a view that we exist within nature as a large predator we're still committing actions that will lead to a collapse of our species and a large diet change would help stop that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

How are u posted:

I was using it as an example of how somebody who does not eat meat can be thoughtfully flexible and considerate if the context requires it. The hard vegan would refuse the hospitality and not care if it was offensive.

:shrug:

The context of that anecdote was that we were having margaritas at a mexican food place, ordered chips and guac with no cheese, but it ended up coming with a sprinkling of cheese on top of the guac. Eminently easy to eat around, avoid, or scrape off, but the person in question made a big fuss and refused to even try to avoid the cheese. Inflexible on principle, regardless of the reality of the situation (easily avoidable cheese). I'm sure some people think that reaction is entirely reasonable, but to me it just seemed dramatic and fussy in the extreme.

That sounds reasonable. I personally find one person's dramatic and fussy is another person expressing boundaries. Going to a restaurant, telling them your restrictions, and having them screw that up is a big deal for the person with restrictions. If they had accidentally put a tiny bit of pork on top I don't think anyone would think it reasonable to ask someone to eat around the non kosher food.

The whole food discussion is very... silly. As a picky eater I suck it up and eat the thing I don't want in the 1% of situations where it would be a sacred offense to not eat and in the other 99% no one gives a poo poo and I'm not some shunned pariah.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 30, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

How are u posted:

In the cases that I'm referencing the hosts have been Indigenous people and the food has been traditional recipes / dishes that are served on special occasions for valued guests. I, personally, would feel hugely uncomfortable and rude refusing that hospitality. Your milage may vary.

What an incredibly rare and specific example, like I said you suck it up in the 1% of the times it would be a sacred offense and 99% no one gives a gently caress if you have a special diet. There's also about a million miles of air between your friend not eating cheese and a sacred indigenous meal so I don't know how your argument wandered to that.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 31, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Content to Hover posted:

What about environmental or health based arguments? I don't see a lot of value in judging other people on what they choose to eat, I do find hearing their reasoning interesting though.

Think of it like recycling, on a global scale I am fully aware my impact is next to nothing. That doesn't stop me from doing it because it meshes with my moral philosophy.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with all of that in the part of the post past the first few words.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

How are u posted:

The person I was originally responding to asked about flexibility, so I gave an example of such, coupled with an example of inflexibility. It sounds like you agree that flexibility is a good thing in circumstances that warrant it. I'm sure everybody has their own definition of what circumstances should require flexibility. I don't think there's any One Correct Way, but I certainly know what I feel to be appropriate circumstances myself.

I've got to ask, would you have expected your friend to have eaten around the cheese if it was a religious restriction?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

silence_kit posted:

I think asking for food production to be more costly and more inefficient is asking for people in the first world to lower their standards of living. Good luck with that. Food would become more expensive, less readily available, have less variety, etc. One of the great things about living in a modern society is that you have constant access to a large variety of foods at low cost. This is a part of the standard of living in the first world.

Goons (and other people did this too, but given the political bent of Goons, this makes Goons the biggest hypocrites) during the height of the COVID pandemic wailed and gnashed their teeth whenever there was a shortage of some kind of product that they had become accustomed to, which lowered their standard of living even in the most minor way.

I don't really get these arguments unless your point is just to outline what's going to get us all killed. Like yeah, getting people to lower the quality of living in the first world is not easy and very ugly. The quality of living in the first world is also killing the planet and our species.

Identifying that something is hard to do doesn't mean you've identified if it's possible or necessary. I don't know if Veganism is the answer but we absolutely need to make changes in our diets as a species because we're currently working to a collapse. We can't sustain ourselves long term with our current practices and I fear that the decline of quality of life will come either by hook or crook.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 31, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Enjoy posted:

I saw video of male chicks in the egg industry being fed into a macerator and then tried to analyse why I found it repulsive. I'd seen vegan arguments before but it hadn't registered emotively until then. The short essay under 1.1 is basically a distillation of my thoughts.

The process took a few years, because I had to be prodded to go from pescetarianism to vegetarianism to veganism. Some people need prodding to get out of their cognitive safe space.

Yeah, those videos doesn't push me to veganism but 7 billion male chicks being born each year just to get thrown into a grinder because they're a male chick is a good example of modern agriculture being wastefully broken.

Edit: The current progress in this field for the agriculture industry has been being able to more actually sex the unhatched eggs and destroying them early in the egg development. Germany has recently adopted this and outlawed chick culling. It's better but still I marvel at the scale of waste it produces.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 31, 2022

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

silence_kit posted:

What is wrong with industrial agriculture? Similarly, what problems does de-industrializing agriculture solve?

Eh, I think you've fallen off track since I would say that there isn't anything wrong with industrialized agriculture. A modern vegan agriculture would still be industrialized. The argument that this line started from seems to be about the current practices within our farming industry like factory farming which the OP does have a lot of info about the farm is causing.

I just don't know what to tell you, we get fat steaks on the table and a dead planet or no fat steaks and an alive planet. We're not really getting both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like that road leads you down "my skin is constantly covered in microorganisms writhing around and they're in my mouth and eyes and body and they're constantly multiplying and living in my secretions"

Like yes it's true but it doesn't really matter.

I don't see why that thinking wouldn't stop at things with sentience. There are mainstream religions that follow the same thinking as that post, not really with your example.