Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

How are u posted:

I was using it as an example of how somebody who does not eat meat can be thoughtfully flexible and considerate if the context requires it. The hard vegan would refuse the hospitality and not care if it was offensive.

:shrug:

The context of that anecdote was that we were having margaritas at a mexican food place, ordered chips and guac with no cheese, but it ended up coming with a sprinkling of cheese on top of the guac. Eminently easy to eat around, avoid, or scrape off, but the person in question made a big fuss and refused to even try to avoid the cheese. Inflexible on principle, regardless of the reality of the situation (easily avoidable cheese). I'm sure some people think that reaction is entirely reasonable, but to me it just seemed dramatic and fussy in the extreme.

It would be pretty weird to get incredibly offended by someone saying "no thank you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

god please help me posted:

I mean. I'm just concerned by that article since it seems that according to it, only 3.7% of the sample household spent anything on a meat substitute. You can certainly eat a diet of nothing but carbs and vegetables and have it indeed be inexpensive in comparison, but god that's not going to be healthy nor is it going to be that great if you're a working class poor person who does very labor intensive jobs (like me). Eating meat strikes the best nutrition/cost balance for working class poor people. I do not mind there being more people choosing a vegan diet, but there is a decent risk of being malnourished for those who don't know what they're doing.

It is probably worth considering that "tried it, filled up on carbs, no attempt to make up the protein" does not impart the nutritional expertise to weigh in on what is generally going to be healthy or no. Protein is readily available from lots of plant sources that aren't gonna be regarded as "meat substitute."

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

cant cook creole bream posted:

If people who basically have nothing scrape together their most precious ingredients to offer you the best possible hospitality and you refuse on principle, that's kind of a dick move. Though they may not say it, in their eyes that action can mean "Your meat isn't worth eating and you failed as a host."

I do not think this situation comes up much outside of an RPG.

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

GABA ghoul posted:

OP, what's your opinion on lab grown meat? Do you support its use as a temporary substitute for real meat? Do you support its use as a permanent major food source for humanity? I've encountered vegans who are opposed to it and I wonder if there is a coherent reasoning against it that goes beyond the disgust factor. I guess it's more carbon intensive than eating plant food directly, but assume production methods improve enough that's it's on par with other luxury foods like strawberries or kiwis.

Lab meat is funny because it has to be fed with fresh blood serum. It'll mitigate the harm of animal agriculture but still needs fresh animals to be processed to keep growing the cultures.

The vegetable sciences have come a long way, so the vat meat may wind up being fairly superfluous for most use cases.

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

How are u posted:

I definitely disagree, it can be very offensive to refuse hospitality, especially when the people offering the hospitality are sacrificing / spending a lot in doing so.

It's pretty normal if you're going to some Great Lengths to provide hospitality to learn anything about your guests. "Do they have any dietary restrictions" is a very normal thing to ask because there are a lot of things people can't or won't eat for ethical, religious or health reasons.

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

Brown rice and legumes are still carbs.

I do not think you know what a carb is. Lots of foods contain multiple macronutrients in different amounts.

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

silence_kit posted:

It’s definitely arguable whether it is really host’s responsibility to make special accommodations for one person when they could just pick off the cheese on the guacamole.

Now if you exclusively associate with society which is heavily Vegan, well, then that’s different.

I have to know what the situation is where you get offered a bowl of cheezy guac and everyone will be mad if you decline politely. What is the pretext, is this a relative? A coworker? Is it a cookout or an office party or a psychological gauntlet when you meet your honey's parents?

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

In that case, I don't think you get that meat contains more protein than rice and beans.

Are you on the Jordan Peterson diet or something?

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

How are u posted:

I would say that encouraging people to vote for politicians who will enact system-wide top-down climate action is probably more worthwhile than trying to convince people to become vegans person-by-person. Voting is a tool that can unlock large systemic changes in a much quicker timeframe than it would take to convince everybody to voluntarily become vegan. This is just from the perspective of the climate change / environmental argument.

When I see a politician who will do that then yes, certainly. Unfortunately the best available are still trying to maybe enact some policy which will incentivize people to individually make more ecologically-friendly consumer choices, which kind of ties back to veganry.

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

How are u posted:

If you're referencing the recently passed IRA then I'm happy to inform you that the vast vast majority of the climate provisions in that law are meant to encourage systems-wide change in entire industries, rather than depending on consumers changing industries from the bottom-up.

... Primarily through incentives, in the hopes that they can nudge the market toward sorting this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

GlyphGryph posted:

You probably won't get a moral argument against eating roadkill from vegans, but you will probably still get the more mainstream "that's gross as gently caress" argument but even moreso.

I know at least one vegan that collects and processes roadkill though, for what its worth.

I'm willing to pivot this to car abolition though.