Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jimlit posted:

I think a lot of your points are spot on. This however seems a bit loaded.

You are saying you don't think livestock should be killed. Why butter it up with a non-statement?

I'd also like to hear your opinions on the economic feasibility of a vegan diet for most of the population. It seems like it would be prohibitively expensive for low income families and individuals to maintain a nutritionally sustainable diet especially with inflation and increased food costs.

vegan specialty foods or vegan restaurants may be expensive, but a plant-based diet is less expensive than an omnivore's diet. Makes sense: meat, fish, and dairy have borne the largest price increases--from what i've seen. Primary research in this arena is lacking and can hardly be said to be objective but still, here's a survey-based study from the UK from 2 years ago

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/news/research-finds-vegan-meals-cheaper-than-meat-and-fish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

cant cook creole bream posted:

I'd love to get some more protein from lentils and other legumes, since they can be quite delicious, but they give me massive indigestion with strong gas. So that alternative nutrition isn't really for me.
My body tends to prefer high protein and barely any carbs. Like chicken breast with mushrooms and eggs. I even feel bloated and heavy if I eat a lot of rice.

seek the assistance of a medical professional, your GI tract is clearly malfunctioning if you can't tolerate rice or legumes.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

silence_kit posted:

The following is not a problem that most people who live in the first world have (they usually have the opposite problem), but a great thing about animal-based food products for people who need high calorie diets is that they can have a high protein density and a high caloric density. You don't need to spend all day eating to get the calories you need.

I've never followed a vegan diet, but have had plenty of vegan meals which didn't have some kind of ingredient which served as a meat substitute. The thing that struck me the most about them was that I could just keep eating and eating the food. I would get tired of the act of eating before getting full. This is probably a good thing for most Americans, but for people who actually need high calorie diets (which most people do not) it is kind of a bad thing.

who are you talking about here, michael phelps or somebody? this seems like such a niche example it's not worth discussing.

even people who work physical jobs tend to eat too much, as evidenced by the number of overweight blue collar workers. The computer toucher who deadlifts isn't gonna need a whole lot more than maintenance--assuming they want to be at a healthy bodyweight, of course. The need for calories is greatly overstated in general.