Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

silence_kit posted:

What do you all do when traveling? Animal based products are a big part of the local cuisine in almost every culture around the world.

Do you try out foods from other cultures or do you always keep to a Vegan diet in these cases?

Can you give an example of some places you have traveled to where you think this might be the case? There are pretty large parts of India where your statement isn't even true.

I don't travel that often but I have always found something to eat. Sometimes it's just a little more difficult than others and you might just have to eat a salad or something. The term "vegan" might not be known to some people so it's easier to ask if things have meat or dairy individually. Punjabi cooking is historically known to use a lot of butter, and even in an Punjabi restaurant in India I was able to find several non salad things to eat.

How are u posted:

From personal experience with people adhering to veganism or a pescatarian diet, it varies wildly. I know a pescatarian who will never eat meat at home, but works with people in marginalized communities in which meat dishes are cultural and traditional touchstones, and they'll absolutely eat the meat dish if they're being offered it by those people because it would be very rude to pass on hospitality from people who have so little. They're also more open to trying meat dishes from other cultures when traveling, to an extent.

But I know another vegan (hard vegan) who will pretty much melt down if there's even cheese on a dish she receives, which she could easily scrape off. The type of vegan who lets everybody know, and often. When she travels she demands vegan food or nothing.

Land of contrasts! I certainly know which of those I think is the more thoughtful person.

It's odd to compare someone working in an environment with marginalized people, to someone not working in that environment.

AnimeIsTrash fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU