Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I still don't see any reason not to ethically raise hens for eggs. They can eat scraps. But overall you've presented some very good arguments supporting serious reduction of consumption.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Enjoy posted:

Do you vote?

Why would this be relevant?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Going full vegan still seems unnecessarily extreme.

We'd probably get optimal* results pushing people to poultry over red meat.

*In terms of total benefit. more people doing a little vs one guy doing a lot and diminishing returns as you eliminate various animal products.

I think we'll also get more effective** results pushing to vote away factory farms than by trying to undermine them economically one spender at a time.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Aug 31, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Well, the official thread goal is to make people stop eating meat and that's how you get it done. Expensive and scarce.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Do you not perceive any room at all between subsistence farming and our currently massively abusive and unsustainable factory farming system?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Please argue with things people actually post and not your rough sense what they will do politically based on the fact that you read someone complain on the internet about something once

I actually agree with you that any of this is unlikely until it is mandated by disaster but that's why I shifted to talking about relative impact and achievability

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There are many nice veggie and rice Frozen packets that make it perfectly good meal without meat. Trader Joe's sells one.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DrBox posted:

Doing something wrong a little better is still wrong. It would be more morally consistent to stop. Even in idyllic conditions and even if the suffering is removed, breeding and killing animals at a fraction of their lifespan for a sandwich is still harm.

This seems to be a fundamental disagreement on what harm means.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
There are many painless deaths that I would say are harmless for animals but harmful to unwilling humans.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I agree that a cow can suffer. I don't know that I agree that it has "interests" the way people do.

Things get very squirrely when you start really digging into these kinds of "harms" and the moral action you demand of people, because there's so much human suffering too.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Sep 8, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Content to Hover posted:

Not sure if you understand how factory farming works, but "providing them food and shelter and a field to roam around in" isn't representative of their lived experience. Capitalism isn't overly motivated to change that any time soon.

Everyone knows what factory farms are and agrees that they are terrible. This is a question of the "morality" of kinder farming practices and whether it's "moral" to do them instead of just letting the animals all brutalize one another.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Why is it more okay for animals to suffer and kill one another in that forest than it is for us to have some nice farms for a couple of well treated cows?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

XboxPants posted:

Alright, I disagree but for the moment I'll return to your other response, then.

Do you think this way about other humans? I don't. I think it matters whether I personally cause physical harm and death to other humans, and I try to avoid those actions.

You are using "personally" incorrectly to describe the harm caused by me buying a big hunk of meat off a well treated animal.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Content to Hover posted:

I tried to look up the percentage of animals that are factory farmed in the US, lots of animal welfare sites suggest it is 99%. I assume that this is a numbers game and chickens make the reality a bit more complex.

Cows seem to be around the 80% mark. While I agree with the idea it would be more ethical if there were nice farms and well treated cows, that pretty clearly isn't the reality we live in. (I think OwlFancier is in the UK, it is only 70% there.)

Yeah we all agree with you about this why are you beating this dead horse? Me going vegan personally or not has no bearing on changing that reality

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

The argument that because animals kill each other then it's okay for us to kill them is a bit odd. Humans kill each other does that make it okay to shoot up a school because those kids might get murdered by someone else someday anyway? Obviously not.

If you want to kill animals you should just argue that killing them is ethical because they don't have souls/thumbs/grammar/tools/sapience/whatever humans have that makes it wrong to kill them. Not make some illogical two-wrongs-make-a-right well-wolves-get-to-do-it argument.

I think when, why, and how you kill them are all relevant when trying to assess the morality of an act and that the comparison to school shootings is absurd. Preferring ethical meat to veganism does not make someone a potential Pet Shop Shooter.

But I agree with the latter part, even if I can't define it. We are God.

quote:

If your premise is that you don't care about animal welfare,

I don't think this was anyone's premise.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 8, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Seph posted:

Your decision to go vegan (or not) is the same. You personally are not going to be the determining factor that shuts down a factory farm, but reducing the aggregate demand will shut down factory farms. Conversely, if you buy animal products, you contribute to an aggregate demand that sustains the animal industry. Saying "nothing I do matters" is a cop out to absolve you of personal responsibility.

No one said that. But if you want to effect mass change the slow way, I bet people are generally more open to "Nice Farms" than veganism. We're gonna need a lot of animal products to make it through the apocalypse.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Yes. Pay for cows you know the name of and can take treats.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DrBox posted:

Which is not an argument for breeding more cats.

I don't think they need our help. Should we be spaying ferals?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Raising alpacas for wool seems perfectly ethical if you are nice to your alpacas. That's another particular where I would agree with calling veganism absolutist.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DrBox posted:

Yes but that is not the point I was making. I was arguing against the idea that breeding them and giving them a good life or letting them roam free are the only two choices.

I don't think anyone ever made such an argument, just provided some comparisons. You can add more

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DrBox posted:

. There's also no cows as an option

So all the cows going extinct is moral in a way that humanely killing one is not?

It seems inconsistent, I'm still teasing out how.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Sep 9, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I guess to me the idea that killing an individual animal is morally harmful to a human naturally suggests that driving non-human species to extinction is similarly harmful to our species at scale.

And these things don't tend to die out naturally so it's either going to be feral cows or human interference which veganism suggests is unjustified.

Really glossed over the answer to that question. How do you begin to justify neutering and spaying feral cats under veganism?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DrBox posted:

This is why I'm not a utilitarian. This thinking leads to some really messed up scenarios and without a good foundation there's no reason it stops at animals.

This is very rude, we've already established that we think humans are special.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Because nature isn't a separate thing from us and what we do. I think using "Exploit" is pretty loaded and it sounds a lot less bad if you use the dictionary definition, which is "benefit from"

No moral reason we can't benefit from animals while being kind. The animal benefits too

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DrBox posted:

You are advocating we Impregnate a cow, steal away her calf, milk her until she is no longer productive then kill her.....kindly so that you can have milk in your coffee.

Quote me advocating this

Making up positions no one took is bad form and you just can't help yourself

You arent an absolutist but if we disagree with you we support experimentation on puppies

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Sep 9, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh look, a vegan is asking is to address factory farming. Again

DrBox posted:

So what exactly are you advocating for in clear terms? And do you think anything you're advocating for is likely to happen as long as animals are still seen as commodities or resources to exploit?

I've been quite clear on what I advocate, and that I think it's more likely to get everyone supporting kind practices than Veganism, though both are relatively close to nil.

Veganism seems to be about claiming an easy moral high ground by washing your hands of a sticky issue entirely, rather than actually doing good by animals.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Sep 9, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Enjoy posted:

The sticky situation of paying for animal abuse

It's good when you make it clear that you aren't engaging in good faith at all. Thanks.

Sorry you can't come up with any solutions besides never thinking about animals again. Maybe you wouldn't be vegan if you didnt have a low key beastiality fetish.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Sure we did. It's a good OP and I agree with a lot of it, just not every premise of morality or the conclusion. But on the other hand, I've made lots of posts here where the substantive point was disregarded so you could call me a puppy experimenter. :shrug:

I think actual animal welfare is more important than perceived individual moral harms.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DrBox posted:

You say you do not support factory farming but there is no way for the world to continue to eat meat as you do without it

I think there is a morally acceptable point that is not veganism, not that things should remain unchanged, and I reject the premise that individuals becoming vegan is the only way to enact needed change.

And we probably do need some of these products because we certainly can't keep using plastic for everything.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's been well established that we disagree on the morality of "giving a sheep a haircut from time to time" so I don't find the consistency argument at all persuasive.

"Lol" at silkworm feelings entirely.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It depends entirely on where he gets the steak from.

Opposed is a strong word for it. I disagree with the moral absolutism even though I agree with the critique of modern agriculture as is.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

I'm not vegan but this dismissal of their ethical position is unfair imo. They raise good arguments that I think deserve more serious consideration than an accusation of virtue signaling.

Not virtue signaling.
I can't find any other way to square it with the "it's ok to spay feral cats" or "who cares about species going extinct".

It's moral reductionism.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

distortion park posted:

* The marginal but of beef production isn't some artisanal farm which claims to have "high" animal welfare standards, it's somewhere in Brazil
* Even "high" welfare beef has disastrous climate and land use impactsl

I thought this was a thread about individual choices not the marginal thing. If we want to talk about changing the marginal thing, we go back to whether it's gonna be easier to get people as a whole on board with veganism or being nicer to cows, and I think it's the latter.

Mostly I support switching over to turkey. Eat all the dinosaurs. But there are other ways to remediate the negative impacts of beef besides full veganism.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Harold Fjord posted:

Not virtue signaling.
I can't find any other way to square it with the "it's ok to spay feral cats" or "who cares about species going extinct".

It's moral reductionism.

This might also be the wrong word. But virtue signalling means they don't care. I think they do. I think animal welfare is fraught and complicated and veganism is an easy answer. But that doesn't make it the most correct or moral.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Start a thread on those and find out.

Edit, to be less flip, there are probably practices I don't support, but I don't think "loving around with a bull" is some great moral wrong

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Kalit posted:

I think most of the US would highly disagree with this. If it was, most people would be vegan by this point.

I think most of the US doesn't give a poo poo but maybe you have some evidence otherwise

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Imo if you want to debate with vegans and change their mind you should treat their objections with the same seriousness that (non-rear end in a top hat) people afford to those with religiously proscribed diets.

I don't think anyone here is trying to persuade the vegans not to be. We're just discussing points of agreement and disagreement.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

DrBox posted:

Bull fighting and rodeos is just "loving around with a bull"? You are so set on not acknowledging the harm done to these animals for entertainment. Steak falls into the category of entertainment too.

Bull fights end with the bull stabbed with a sword multiple times. In rodeos bulls have a rope tied around their balls to give them incentive to buck and give a show. Many animals die in chuckwagon races and calf roping. This is all for spectacle and the root cause is the same mentality you display here. The idea that animals are ours to use and abuse.

This is exactly what I'm talking about and the exact kind of bad faith I'm sick of. Thanks for demonstrating it so aptly.

loving with animals does not have to involve stabbing them and I don't support stabbing them, but since I'm not a vegan the vegans posting find every horrible thing done to animals that has ever happened and lay it at my feet. Go gently caress yourself

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I explicitly did not. In fact, I outright indicated I disagree with some practices. You shithead

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Vegans are just lazy thinkers.