Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
I’ve been following this thread for a bit now and I have to say that I’m pleasantly surprised. In the past threads on vegetarianism and veganism have been uniquely bad on SA, as posters can’t seem to help but post bad faith arguments about niche cases or shitpost about how good cows taste or whatever in a way they don’t for other issues. This time around the overall level of discourse is pretty good.

Anyway, I’ve been vegetarian for a bit over a decade now, and I’ve been eating vegetarian food my entire life as my mom was vegetarian and cooked most meals meat-free in our household. Being vegetarian, and especially vegan, does require some more thought than regular diets, but in practice for most people that’s a good thing (the average person could benefit from thinking more about what they’re consuming), and adapting to climate change will require that kind of awareness in many aspects of our lives.

My wife and I are both pretty active, and my wife does regular weight training as a part of a gym program that includes diet monitoring. We’ve found that an air frier really takes preparing meat substitutes to the next level — it can do amazing things to tofu if you marinade or batter it, for instance. Here’s a selection of high protein meals we regularly prepare, in addition to basics like lentil soup and veggie burgers:

Pea-based pasta with veggie substitute (mycoprotein) meatballs
Bibimbap with eggs and smoked tofu (or just tofu to keep it vegan)
Palak paneer with tofu instead of paneer
Barbecue tofu burritos

Meat substitutes are light years ahead of where they were even 5 years ago, and they’re only getting more varied and widely available all the time. Just a few months ago I found that the generic grocery store down the street started selling a great vegan version of pastrami that in a Reuben sandwich was honestly almost indistinguishable from the real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

silence_kit posted:

If someone is making the noble decision to dedicate their entire life to a moral/social/political cause, and the issue they select is animal welfare, I think it reveals that their sense of morality is wack. There are so many greater injustices in this world for moral crusaders to dedicate their lives to than the well-being of animals.

If you accept that the suffering of animals is a legitimate injustice, then why not? This is the kind of thinking that can be used against pretty much any kind of moral crusade, FYI. Why are you a moral crusader for abortion rights? There are homeless people starving in the streets. Why are you a moral crusader against homelessness? There are people being ethnically cleansed in other countries. Etc. etc.

For the people I know who are really active in animal rights, they are passionate about it because they view the human-inflicted suffering of animals as an in injustice and see that so few people care enough even to make minor changes to their lifestyle, and so they feel they need to act.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

silence_kit posted:

A maybe unsavory truth is that most people who dedicate themselves to a political/social/moral causes beyond posting about them on the internet do it because the issue personally affects them and solving the issue would improve their own status in society. I don’t see how you get that for animal welfare.

Most people who volunteer at animal shelters probably mostly do it because they personally really enjoy being around pets. The number of people who do it who don’t really like pets that much and do it purely out of concern for animal welfare is probably close to zero.

I'm sorry, but it sounds like you simply don't understand empathy? Yes, people sometimes fight injustice for self-serving reasons, or do so in specific ways because it helps them. But, believe it or not, people also have moral convictions independent of their own self-interest based on reasoning and logic.

quote:

Also, the mainstream ethical view is that there is a very big jump between animal welfare and the welfare of human beings. I think dedicating your life to animal welfare is almost as absurd as dedicating your life to ending circumcision (well maybe not quite that absurd).

By this logic, it was absurd for abolitionists in the Antebellum South to dedicate their life to ending slavery. After all, the mainstream ethical view was at odds with their own!

MeinPanzer fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 8, 2022

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004

DrBox posted:

Rise from the dead Vegan thread!

Interesting interactions in the Diablo thread. People have no problem talking about human causes like poor working conditions at Blizzard or lovely things management are doing, but as soon as you say that a promotion with KFC is bad and birds suffer and die for lovely nuggies then you're the enemy. Watching the mental gymnastics or outright hostility from these manchildren that would otherwise consider themselves decent progressive people never stops being disappointing.

There seems to be a particular alignment of factors that makes dorky, otherwise progressive Gen X-Millennial individuals, especially men, become irrationally angry when challenged about eating meat. The posting on these forums used to be exhibit A of this kind of behavior, though it’s diminished somewhat over the years and receded to some corners.

I think it stems from the fact that many of these people view eating meat, or animal products more broadly, as a simple everyday pleasure that’s available to them even if other stuff aspects of their lives are lovely, and thus any effort to take that away from them is entirely unacceptable.