Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

silence_kit posted:

What do you all do when traveling? Animal based products are a big part of the local cuisine in almost every culture around the world.

Do you try out foods from other cultures or do you always keep to a Vegan diet in these cases?

From personal experience with people adhering to veganism or a pescatarian diet, it varies wildly. I know a pescatarian who will never eat meat at home, but works with people in marginalized communities in which meat dishes are cultural and traditional touchstones, and they'll absolutely eat the meat dish if they're being offered it by those people because it would be very rude to pass on hospitality from people who have so little. They're also more open to trying meat dishes from other cultures when traveling, to an extent.

But I know another vegan (hard vegan) who will pretty much melt down if there's even cheese on a dish she receives, which she could easily scrape off. The type of vegan who lets everybody know, and often. When she travels she demands vegan food or nothing.

Land of contrasts! I certainly know which of those I think is the more thoughtful person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It's odd to compare someone working in an environment with marginalized people, to someone not working in that environment.

I was using it as an example of how somebody who does not eat meat can be thoughtfully flexible and considerate if the context requires it. The hard vegan would refuse the hospitality and not care if it was offensive.

Srice posted:

Speaking as a vegan, if someone who knows I'm a vegan serves me something with cheese on it and tells me to just scrape it off, I'm never gonna trust any food they serve me ever again.

:shrug:

The context of that anecdote was that we were having margaritas at a mexican food place, ordered chips and guac with no cheese, but it ended up coming with a sprinkling of cheese on top of the guac. Eminently easy to eat around, avoid, or scrape off, but the person in question made a big fuss and refused to even try to avoid the cheese. Inflexible on principle, regardless of the reality of the situation (easily avoidable cheese). I'm sure some people think that reaction is entirely reasonable, but to me it just seemed dramatic and fussy in the extreme.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ReadyToHuman posted:

It would be pretty weird to get incredibly offended by someone saying "no thank you."

I definitely disagree, it can be very offensive to refuse hospitality, especially when the people offering the hospitality are sacrificing / spending a lot in doing so.

cant cook creole bream posted:

On the one hand, that woman sounds a bit exhausting to hang out with.
On the other hand, I'd be annoyed with that restaurant too if they add stuff which was explicitly excluded in the order. Sure it's just some cheese sprinkles due to a personal eating habit. But would they act the same way if you'd request keeping out shellfish due to severe allergies?

Totally. There's an enormous difference, from my perspective, between dangerous food allergies and and diet restrictions that are purely a choice. I would have been right there with the cheese-refuser if she had a terrible cheese allergy.

How are u fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 30, 2022

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ReadyToHuman posted:

It's pretty normal if you're going to some Great Lengths to provide hospitality to learn anything about your guests. "Do they have any dietary restrictions" is a very normal thing to ask because there are a lot of things people can't or won't eat for ethical, religious or health reasons.

In the cases that I'm referencing the hosts have been Indigenous people and the food has been traditional recipes / dishes that are served on special occasions for valued guests. I, personally, would feel hugely uncomfortable and rude refusing that hospitality. Your milage may vary.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Gumball Gumption posted:

What an incredibly rare and specific example, like I said you suck it up in the 1% of the times it would be a sacred offense and 99% no one gives a gently caress if you have a special diet. There's also about a million miles of air between your friend not eating cheese and a sacred indigenous meal so I don't know how your argument wandered to that.

The person I was originally responding to asked about flexibility, so I gave an example of such, coupled with an example of inflexibility. It sounds like you agree that flexibility is a good thing in circumstances that warrant it. I'm sure everybody has their own definition of what circumstances should require flexibility. I don't think there's any One Correct Way, but I certainly know what I feel to be appropriate circumstances myself.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I would say that encouraging people to vote for politicians who will enact system-wide top-down climate action is probably more worthwhile than trying to convince people to become vegans person-by-person. Voting is a tool that can unlock large systemic changes in a much quicker timeframe than it would take to convince everybody to voluntarily become vegan. This is just from the perspective of the climate change / environmental argument.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ReadyToHuman posted:

When I see a politician who will do that then yes, certainly. Unfortunately the best available are still trying to maybe enact some policy which will incentivize people to individually make more ecologically-friendly consumer choices, which kind of ties back to veganry.

If you're referencing the recently passed IRA then I'm happy to inform you that the vast vast majority of the climate provisions in that law are meant to encourage systems-wide change in entire industries, rather than depending on consumers changing industries from the bottom-up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

ReadyToHuman posted:

... Primarily through incentives, in the hopes that they can nudge the market toward sorting this out.

It's not so much "hoping" the market will "nudge" as much as it is smashing the fist of government down on the scale, in favor of clean energy industries. All of the analysis from a plethora of parties agrees that it will be transformational.