Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

god please help me posted:

Spending a lifetime on an alternative diet plan can only affect the animals you would've consumed in your own individual lifespan.

It affects less than this, because the actual "production" from livestock farms isn't going to change based upon your own consumer choices. It's not like, by choosing not to buy chicken, you're bringing the chicken that was killed back to life. Or that the company is going to be aware that you didn't buy chicken at a restaurant and reduce its chicken production by 1 in the future. It's the sort of consumer choice that has literally zero impact unless it reaches a threshold where it makes farms actually decrease their "production." And I would argue that it's impossible for enough consumers to voluntarily reduce their consumption to such a degree, because our society/economy is so strongly intertwined with meat production. A real meaningful decrease would require government action (and this would require a fundamental change to our political system). There's a good chance that, even if there was a significant and widespread change in consumer behavior, meat production would still stay the same, with the products just being used in different ways (sort of like we've seen with other farming products, where the industry is powerful and has its own influence over the government, which provides it with subsidies).

It's sort of similar to climate change in this regard, only individual consumer choices are possibly even less relevant (since you're at least the the one actually creating emissions with something like driving, while the animal you'd be eating is always already dead, unless you buy a live lobster and release it into the ocean I guess).

Vegetarianism* is basically objectively correct morally, but your personal choices about what to eat don't really matter at all (to anything other than your own nutrition and finances, anyways).

* I don't think there's any meaningful ethical issue with eating fish. Overfishing is a serious problem, but that's a separate issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU