Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

mnlr posted:

Great thread so far! Love discussing this topic. I’ve been vegetarian for about ten years now, and fully vegan for about four, with no intention of ever going back short of a full-on survival situation.

The OP touches on a lot of my own reasons for going vegan, along with a few others that weren’t really on my radar but make a lot of sense to me. My #1 reason for going vegan hasn’t been discussed in this thread at all yet, and it’s a little more subjective so maybe not totally in the spirit of this discussion, but what about plain old revulsion at the idea of consuming body parts and fluids and so on? Back in my pre-veggie days, my idea of paradise was to be on a sunny patio with a frosty pint and a big basket of crispy golden brown chicken wings. It got to the point where I couldn’t even enjoy that anymore because I couldn’t stop my brain from reminding me constantly “THIS IS THE WING OFF A DEAD BIRD”. I want nothing to do with dead birds. I see them on the street sometimes and I make a point to avoid them. I would never pick one up and I would certainly never put one in my mouth. I recognize there’s an enormous hygienic difference between a piece of roadkill and chicken properly prepared in a restaurant, but fundamentally they’re both still just a dead bird. The meat was the bird’s flesh, the bones were his bones. A basket of wings is a scene of carnage and gore. It got to the point where that was just no longer okay with me.

Yeah this was a big part of it for me. It was like a switch flipped in my brain and I couldn't stomach meat any more. I grew up on a farm and used to hunt when I was a kid but I just changed when I was about 16. People asked me if I found it difficult to go vego and I genuinely haven't at all. I have basically zero self control with food and if it was difficult I could never do it! That's also probably the reason I'm vegetarian not vegan - I don't get that same revulsion from cheese!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU