Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mnlr
May 31, 2006

Great thread so far! Love discussing this topic. I’ve been vegetarian for about ten years now, and fully vegan for about four, with no intention of ever going back short of a full-on survival situation.

The OP touches on a lot of my own reasons for going vegan, along with a few others that weren’t really on my radar but make a lot of sense to me. My #1 reason for going vegan hasn’t been discussed in this thread at all yet, and it’s a little more subjective so maybe not totally in the spirit of this discussion, but what about plain old revulsion at the idea of consuming body parts and fluids and so on? Back in my pre-veggie days, my idea of paradise was to be on a sunny patio with a frosty pint and a big basket of crispy golden brown chicken wings. It got to the point where I couldn’t even enjoy that anymore because I couldn’t stop my brain from reminding me constantly “THIS IS THE WING OFF A DEAD BIRD”. I want nothing to do with dead birds. I see them on the street sometimes and I make a point to avoid them. I would never pick one up and I would certainly never put one in my mouth. I recognize there’s an enormous hygienic difference between a piece of roadkill and chicken properly prepared in a restaurant, but fundamentally they’re both still just a dead bird. The meat was the bird’s flesh, the bones were his bones. A basket of wings is a scene of carnage and gore. It got to the point where that was just no longer okay with me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mnlr
May 31, 2006

DrBox posted:

Just went out to a fully vegan pub for dinner and drinks. It's such a good feeling to be able to just pick up the menu and order whatever without having to pull out the magnifying glass and look for where they tried to smuggle in some milk or cheese.

It's nice to see a tangible societal shift happening.

It’s getting so much better! In my neighbourhood at least, even most regular pub-style places will have a couple of vegan options specially called out as such on the menu, or even a whole vegan section.

I definitely relate to the magnifying glass comment, grocery shopping especially. That was the biggest obstacle for me going from vegetarian to full vegan. Most of the time, if something has meat in it, it’s obvious. Usually it’s the headlining ingredient. But eggs and milk are in all kinds of things they shouldn’t be. Like most brands of salt and vinegar chips have milk in the ingredients, not sure why, so I’ve had to stick with the couple of brands that don’t. Canned soups that are veggie-based and not creamy and which would otherwise be vegan will usually have something like Parmesan cheese or “modified milk ingredients” buried down towards the end of the list. Going from eating meat to vegetarian was actually easier in my opinion than going from vegetarian to vegan, because of all these little booby traps that can trip you up if you’re not vigilant.