Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pea
Nov 25, 2005
Friendly neighbourhood vegetable
All the other Brantes acting like it's our fault that mother died since she talked to us last. :psyduck:

F for Lydia Brante :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
Our brother's done the most to make mother's last days a living hell, we're maybe the main non-Nathan member of the family who's cared about keeping it together. And yet the world would see Stephan as a shining paragon and us as the black sheep.

Luckily we have enough guns and explosives by now to avenge our mother, our sister and our tanked Unity stat!

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I always viewed the family stats decreasing as general discord after her death.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Yeah I don't think its literally blaming you for the death so much as A General Reckoning

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
1.37 - The Noble House of Brante

And so we stand there, powerless.

Rest in peace, Mother.

The others don't take it well.

We spend time remembering her as she was.

It does not help.

With the glue holding us together no longer here, the family drifts apart.

Further and further.

Mother's life is over.

But the trials of the Brantes are not.

Even if the family officially expands.

I think this is the only time we see Gloria in a dress as an adult.

Father loves all that official poo poo. Must be his job rubbing off on him.

This is the last time she is simply "Gloria".

She is now Gloria of the Noble House Brante.

I do like our stance here. Throughout our entire life, there was never a moment when we didn't consider Gloria to be our sister. The only thing that changed are some words on paper.

Oh hey, Stephan's back. You missed Mother dying, you selfish prick.

Hell yeah, tell him!

Good. We're glad Gregor is dead, and if we could, we'd kill him again.

Lol. Lmao even.

Get absolutely hosed, Stephan.

There is nothing good we can say to you.

May your life be short and filled with suffering.

It would be a shame for the closest thing to a good noble to take such an awful person into their house.

We'll be fine without you.

And just like that, Stephan is gone too.

Robert has been having a really, really rough year.

But the Brantes will endure!

The few that remain, at least.

Yeah, that tracks.

Congrats on disgracing the proud family name, thread!

It was all worth it, though.

But it did take a heavy toll on us.

A heavy toll indeed.

The noble families of Anizotte do what they promised to do.

We are no longer welcome in high society.

Much to Father's dismay.

Note that our Unity dropped from 7 all the way to 3.

We will never be Sword Nobility now.

House of Brante, technically nobility. But only technically.

Down to four people: Father, Nathan, Gloria, and us.

It's not all bad, though.

There is a ray of sunshine breaking through this absolute clusterfuck of a year.

Glad we got that sorted out with only a little bit of crime.

Hell yeah, buddy, good for you!

You know, yeah. Honestly, now is a very good time to get the gently caress out of Anizotte.

Oh!

As mentioned before, the game developers are Russian. So, in Russia, weddings require five people: the couple, the city official, and two witnesses - one for the groom, and one for the bride. The rough equivalent would be the Best Man and the Maid of Honour in a US-style wedding.

So Tommas is asking us to be the best man at his wedding.

--

Do we go to Tommas' wedding?

A. We didn't spend every chance we had to help him out to bail on him now. Go to the wedding.

B. We did what we could, but now it's time for Tommas to do his own thing without us. Do not go.

If we were a priest, we could have officiated his wedding ourselves. Perhaps in another life.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Attend our best friend's wedding. Crimelord Brante could use the morale boost.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

There's literally no point in choosing anything other than attending the wedding, unless you're doing some real deep roleplaying. Or if there's some hidden trigger in not attending I'm not aware of.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
A.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Kayten posted:

We will never be Sword Nobility now.
"Never" is a very long time, and a lot of bad things can happen between now and then.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

A

why not

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Best man! Best man!

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Go to the wedding! Let's get something good out of life after all the bad.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Hell yeah we're going to our brother from another mother's wedding, makes up for our poo poo tier no longer brother from another mother leaving. Our Brante is loyal to the end when it comes to the (very few) people who are important to him anyways.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

C'mon, of course we're going to the wedding.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Keldulas posted:

This is where the Gloria plot is designed to screw you. If you help her, it’s a Unity hit right before the deathbed scene.

Yeah, she's the worst and has ruined way more runs than I can remember. Impossible to enact societal change when her petty personal problems keep dragging Brante down.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

We don't need Sword nobility, the nobles will answer to our guns.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

We don't need Sword nobility, the nobles will answer to our guns.

Given how the run has gone thus far, it's more likely we'll be answering to the noble's swords by the end.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Omniphile posted:

Hell yeah we're going to our brother from another mother's wedding, makes up for our poo poo tier no longer brother from another mother leaving. Our Brante is loyal to the end when it comes to the (very few) people who are important to him anyways.

:hai:

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm legitimately not sure why this is a choice the game puts on you. If you went this far to support Tomas, why wouldn't you see him off happily, both narratively and for the best statistical boost too. Supporting him up to this point entails various size penalties after all.

Sadly, I feel the priest thing should've given Willpower too.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Keldulas posted:

I'm legitimately not sure why this is a choice the game puts on you. If you went this far to support Tomas, why wouldn't you see him off happily, both narratively and for the best statistical boost too. Supporting him up to this point entails various size penalties after all.

Yeah, it's a bit strange since that the basic option doesn't have a requisite of <4 friendship for it to be available.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I looked at it again, and honestly I completely forgot that attending the wedding technically had prerequisites. I couldn't bring myself to be an rear end in a top hat to him in any of the routes.

Heck, the separated Tommas >=4 or Bond of Friendship requisites are a bit weird to me, since him getting the wedding at all requires you to be at least somewhat nice to him.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

LJN92 posted:

Given how the run has gone thus far, it's more likely we'll be answering to the noble's swords by the end.

Those we can't gun or dynamite we'll just bribe, surely there are some nobles that have titles and no cash who would sell their swords and other worldly possessions to us.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Maybe there shouldn't be nobles where we're going.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
We are going to attend the wedding, seriously why is this even a question?

Also, dad may have had a rough year but he sure is a lowkey douchebag himself. Every time something happens beyond his control you can bet your rear end that his affection towards us will plummet immediately.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Unless there is some invisible consequence here, this seems like a pretty simple choice.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
This vote was entirely because I needed to end the update somewhere, yeah. There's no reason not to go to the wedding.

Also, uh. I'm playing the next part. Georg Brante is an absolute failson to the end. I didn't even realize it was an option to gently caress up this badly. So look forward to that while I write it up.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Kayten posted:

Georg Brante is an absolute failson to the end. I didn't even realize it was an option to gently caress up this badly.

Hey, at least Georg Brante succeeded at demonstrating you can always fail harder than expected.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I think I got the same fail that you just encountered on my first run-through, looking forward to confirming that. Lotless can be very profitable, but it is a DANGEROUS path.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Kayten posted:

This vote was entirely because I needed to end the update somewhere, yeah. There's no reason not to go to the wedding.

Also, uh. I'm playing the next part. Georg Brante is an absolute failson to the end. I didn't even realize it was an option to gently caress up this badly. So look forward to that while I write it up.

A goon to the end. :allears:

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
I believe in our failson

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
1.38 - All Chair, No rear end

This is the longest update for any LP I've ever written, in terms of number of images. Let's get this shitshow on the road.

Of course we'll go to Tommas' wedding!

He's equally psyched.

The wedding of two non-nobles is as austere as the Church demands.

Note that only four people are present for the actual wedding ceremony: the priest, the witness, and the couple.

As before, pay attention to where the Twins actually manifest themselves in terms of religious ritual, and where they do not.

The Twins were never in the church when any of the kids got their first sacrament.

To the happy couple!

You know, I'm wondering about this whole "commoners must never eat good food or show enjoyment" thing intersecting with weddings. Traditionally, in most places, peasant weddings were huge parties. It was revelry for the whole village + whoever else came along from the outside. All sorts of drinks, the best food they could make (often wedding-specific foods), dancing, the nicest clothes they had, and so on. Which makes sense, peasants didn't often get to party like this, so they went all out on weddings.

This isn't like a serious issue I have with the game or anything, just an observation.

Aw, thanks, Tommas. You remain the only person we've done right by our entire life. Well, maybe Gloria? Though we did help her stress Mother out enough to succumb to illness, so maybe not.

Oh, we have a say alright. And what we say is "hm, I dunno".

We wish you both good luck in the future.

We never see Tommas again.

Well, "far", but not quite enough.

We turn 28. And speaking of doing right by people.

Are we being robbed?

Oh poo poo, Nathan!

Hold up, what?

That's a really bold move, Nathan.

Holy poo poo, he's just gonna stab himself in the heart?

We're in that part of the game where most options need us to have done a bunch of things already to unlock. So strap in, we don't make a single decision from now to the end of the update. That last choice we had was whether to go to Tommas' wedding or not.

If we knew Theology a lot better, we could've talked Nathan out of this, and he would've hated us for it.

And if Mother was still with us...

In the end, it's up to Nathan. Hope this helps.

That is not a pleasant way to go.

We clean up the evidence while Nathan slowly reconstitutes.

And he's back!

At least he feels better?

We don't understand it, but hey, Nathan seems happier.

Things have been brewing for quite a while, and are finally coming to a head.

I'm sure Lennart is only concerned with his flock, and not the position of Patriarch.

"The crisis consists precisely in the fact that the old is dying,

And the new cannot be born;

In this interregnum, a great variety of morbid symptoms appear."
- Antonio Gramsci, 1930

As things heat to a boil, we find out the fate of the Noble House of Brante.

Sent to us by mail even.

I wonder what the mail system is like in the Empire.

There isn't much of a choice.

No sword nobility for us, but at least what little there is left of the family endures.

The other options would be getting ennobled by the sword,

Joining the overseer's inner circle,

Or having the family completely fall apart.

Sorry, Father, they're not gonna forgive the existence of Gloria Brante.

One of the few upsides of Georg Brante's life is hearing Gregor cope and seethe in the afterlife.

It's for the best.

It is what it is.

But hey, at least Gregor has died mad about it.

This is it. This is what nearly a decade of work has been building up to.

Even El Ferro is no longer hiding.

So what's the plan?

Sure, sure.

Felipe found so many traitors already! I'm surprised he didn't add El Verman and the entirety of the Inquisiton to this list.

So here's the thing though.

Do you remember Mother's death? And how we had 7 Unity, and needed 8 to keep her alive?

Turns out that to do the revolution for real, we needed to have Sophia approach us about it. Which she does at 8 Unrest.

We have 7.

And if we wanted to do El Ferro's plan, we needed to have 8 Spy Network.

We have 7.

There's a Russian phrase: "You cannot sit on two chairs with one rear end". Georg Brante stretched his rear end over at least four chairs (El Ferro, El Verman, Egmont, Sophia).

Now we get to watch him fall down.

Our only option is to try to lay low.

Had we raised our Unrest by 1 just a little bit, we could've sided with Sophia and killed El Ferro here. The last time we could do this was way back when the Legion first appeared in town. Had we forced Tommas to help us by using his oath, or just printed leaflets agitating for the riot, we would have had enough. Alas.

Conversely, had we surrendered Egmont's guns to El Ferro, we would've had enough Spy Network to go with the original plan.

Had we helped Egmont stash the guns (by having a lower Spy Network in the first place, thanks to Keldulas for pointing this out), we could've started Egmont's utopian liberal rebellion.

And of course, if we gave Egmont to El Verman, we could've helped him outmaneuver El Ferro.

But we did none of those things. We didn't commit to any one choice hard enough.

So we pay the price.

Yeah, of course, boss.

It's time, huh.

We never see Sophia again.

And so we sit there, drenched in our own incompetence.

We do the exact same thing we did in the capital a decade ago.

Since then, we made a ton of money, helped Mother on her way to the Pillar, committed a frankly ridiculous number of crimes.

We stayed in lovely hideouts and fronts.

And in all that time, we have learned nothing.

El Ferro is as powerful as he has ever been.

And we are just as weak as we were in Eterna.

We have no allies and no friends.

No one will come to our aid.

We remain alone.

And this time, no one will put in a good word with El Ferro for us.

Had we suppressed Gloria's hopes, dreams, and will to live, and climbed the ladder, the Brantes would be a strong enough political force to save us.

But we didn't do that.

Had we kept Egmont's amateur rear end out of jail, he could've been a powerful enough man to protect us.

But we didn't do that.

Hell, had we sided with a different imperial snake, we could've had the Magistrate keep us safe.

But we didn't do that either.

Anizotte holds nothing for us, we are a lone man on the run.

And El Ferro has his own contacts in town.

We almost make it.

But "almost" isn't enough.

It's over quickly.

There are too many of them.

So we return to the prison.

It's not a good time.

Time for our final chat with old friends.

Hey boss, long time no see.

Yeah.

If you recall, Fockegraben is the guy who was in charge of Nathan's and Stefan's case. The super corrupt one.

Unpleasant, yet accurate.

Executed by Oliver Moss. What a shameful way to go.

At least it's all over.

No more extra lives.

Our final Destiny pop-up.

We hosed up so badly that we don't even get to see ending slides for people we know. Not even for the province. All we get to see is the outcome of the revolt.

Things go poorly for everyone involved.

The master's tools did what the master's tools do.

But the causes of the rebellion remained unadressed, so it flared up again and again.

And spread.

And spread.

Not even the highest levels of the aristocracy were safe.

The time of strife had come to the Empire.

But we do not see it - we are no longer here.

We have gone to see the Twins.

We stand before the gods.

They see us in our entirety, stripped bare of any defense and diversion.

Our interview begins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoodEymnnyA

God, we tried at least, didn't we?

It didn't work at all, though.

We have improved things for exactly two people: Gloria and Tommas.

No, thank you. Not for Georg.

Georg is done with this.

And so, the judgement.

Georg Brante does not deserve the top of the Pillar.

But he deserves to no longer exist. To feel pain no more.

Thus ends the life and suffering of Sir Georg Brante.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!
The Second Brante

Folks, this was a shitshow. We have repeatedly hosed up in ways I didn't even know were possible. Georg Brante was a failson to the end.

As a friend of mine said, all in all great result for a collective blind run, A+ intro.

Now, for the second Brante. I've thought it over, and I'm not gonna do the Russian language version. The translation is honestly pretty good, and goes for a consistent vibe in its writing style, which I always appreciate.

Also holy poo poo, it would be so much more work to literally translate every line that comes up.

So we will keep going with the English translation.

As for the direction of this second Brante. We're going to do a little experiment. For your vote to count, write at least one sentence answering the question "What have we learned from Georg's life?". Please bold your actual votes to make them stand out.

Keep in mind that I'll be playing through Childhood and Adolescence without posting it. I'll still post the things that are pretty different from how Georg's life turned out.

Who will the second Brante be closest to in Childhood and Adolescence?

A. Gregor and Stephan.

B. Robert.

C. Lydia and Nathan.

D. Gloria.

Which path will he take in life?

1. Noble.

2. Priest.

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

gently caress it, let's do the complete opposite; A to suck up to those we pissed off as Georg, and 1 to be a snooty noble.

We learned that Goons suck at making decisions.

LJN92 fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Dec 10, 2022

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

LJN92 posted:

gently caress it, let's do the complete opposite; A to suck up to those we pissed off as Georg, and 1 to be a snooty noble.

Ah, but what did we learn?

LJN92
Mar 5, 2014

Kayten posted:

Ah, but what did we learn?

...that no matter what we do, we'll probably mess it up?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
We've learned that being other people's peon sucks rear end. Let's be the most noble noble we can be and gently caress everyone else. A1.

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep
Lydia and Nathan as a Priest

We tried to force our way through this hosed up world... maybe it'd be better if we just tried to understand what it truly was?

also :patriot: and :rip: Failson Brante the Crimelord. Did so much crime, he became the crime

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

We learned that Georg Brante being loyal to his sister and his best friend and almost nobody else brought him only misery and death. Therefore, in this run we will throw both of these people under a bus if it means victory and life. A1 time.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
As the butter of the Brantes we learned we spread ourselves too thin, which makes for bad revolutionary toast. Thus 1, but B instead of A, because I'm sure we can be a better noble than those two arseholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
We learned that you can't live life by committee.