Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
We learned that compromises have to be made for family unity, otherwise you'll be locked into an inescapable death spiral of doom and destruction that destabilizes the entire Empire for ages.

1C seems like a nice enough next run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

The comedy answer for what we learned is that Gregor and Stephan are the absolute worst because the thread ended up making mechanically bad decisions just because going along even remotely with those two complete assholes was too much to bear...understandably.

The real answer for what we learned is just because a decision makes sense in the short term doesn't mean it'll hold up long-term. Many of the decisions made by the thread made perfect, logical sense at the time, and it was only when the scores were tallied up that it became apparent that things didn't work out like they were intended to even after the fact.

Imma also go with 1C.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

I'm surprised we didn't get to vote on the Peak or the Foot.

Anyway, I vote for 2B.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

2c

We learned that crime pays :whatup:

also whats the deal with the vote to rewrite history/destiny? Is that just a fancy way to start a new game or does it drop you back to the last "escape/pivot" point or smth

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 10, 2022

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
hmm. 1b

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

1B

We learned from Georg Brante's life that being a commoner in this universe loving sucks.

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Quackles posted:

I'm surprised we didn't get to vote on the Peak or the Foot.

Anyway, I vote for 2B.

I debated doing that, but

a. The whole death sequence takes place outside the regular chapters, which means as far as the save is concerned, I have made all the decisions possible. I could still restart a chapter, but that would mean redoing the entirety of the Peace Time section. To do all that for three screenshots worth of text just didn't seem worth it.

b. Georg Brante was not a theologically sophisticated man. He had a Theology of 2. Now, he knew the church was bullshit, and happily exploited church crises for his own gain, sure. But when he came face to face with his gods, I think he compared himself to his own idea of "a person that goes to the top of the Pillar". And as far as Georg Brante was concerned, his mom for sure went to the Top. Did Georg Brante think he was as good a person as his mom was? I don't think he did. I don't think Georg Brante was the kind of person who believed he'd get into heaven.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

Dr. Snark posted:

The comedy answer for what we learned is that Gregor and Stephan are the absolute worst because the thread ended up making mechanically bad decisions just because going along even remotely with those two complete assholes was too much to bear...understandably.

The real answer for what we learned is just because a decision makes sense in the short term doesn't mean it'll hold up long-term. Many of the decisions made by the thread made perfect, logical sense at the time, and it was only when the scores were tallied up that it became apparent that things didn't work out like they were intended to even after the fact.

Imma also go with 1C.

I'll agree with 1C.

I'd also observe that our course of action, ultimately, was thoroughly believable. The number of people who, at any point, come up with a hard conclusion of what they want to do with their life is pretty dang small -- especially to come up with it early. Georg Brante did eventually figure out what he wanted to do with his life -- the thread did come to conclusions -- but by the time it happened, prior events had stacked up too much momentum to, ultimately, change the course.

Fifty years earlier, Georg Brante would probably have been able to sort out a course of action, use the money from his surprising competence at running a business to improve the state of the family, and produce some kind of nice, stable life going forward. That's what most people do, and I'd argue there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. But Georg Brante was born into a time of terrific unrest and change. The chance to be in the background in this manner was never his.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

We learned that caring about other people was a mistake. 1A

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
We learned that Gods are real and have really sharp swords.

2A: Watch Sir Brante Start a Holy War.

Kayten posted:

Conversely, had we surrendered Egmont's guns to El Ferro, we would've had enough Spy Network to go with the original plan.
I think we had a fair shot at the "outdo El Ferro's expectation" chapter outcome if we surrendered the guns there. The event that fires at Spy Network 8 would have taken us the rest of the way.

Rogue AI Goddess fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 10, 2022

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
We learnt that 7 is the poison pill number for most contested stats. High enough to lock off options, too low to actually help in most cases.

And yes, this is exactly what happened to me in my first runthrough.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

No, what this thread apparently truly learnt is that Gloria is the worst and her secret plot was the ultimate poison cause lol nobody votes for her now (jk, jk, obviously it's to see different stuff).

I vote for B2 myself, let's go moderate Priest, that will absolutely not go wrong in the slightest.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

No, what this thread apparently truly learnt is that Gloria is the worst and her secret plot was the ultimate poison cause lol nobody votes for her now (jk, jk, obviously it's to see different stuff).

Unironically this. Gloria had what in the context of the society she lived in was a pretty sweet deal, and even the more conservative parts of her family regularly ignored the fact that she didn't conform to any of the societal norms that she was expected to, in spite of them living in an extremely heirarchial society.

I guess we learned that there is a limit to how far you should be willing to personally support someone, even if you agree with them in theory.

C2

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

A1. We learned that trying to make other people happy just ends in disaster for everyone and it's better to just seize whatever you want for yourself.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!

Redeye Flight posted:

Fifty years earlier, Georg Brante would probably have been able to sort out a course of action, use the money from his surprising competence at running a business to improve the state of the family, and produce some kind of nice, stable life going forward. That's what most people do, and I'd argue there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. But Georg Brante was born into a time of terrific unrest and change. The chance to be in the background in this manner was never his.

Georg Brante #1 could have definitely gone from being a delinquent failson in his teens and 20s to turning his life around in his 30s and 40s and becoming a modestly successful family man, yeah. Too bad for him that this was not the Life and Feel-Good Movie of the Year of Not-Prestigious-Enough-To-Be-Sir Brante.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
B2. I think the lesson learnt here is that you cannot just agree to everything, there comes a point in which you must commit to a team or side and do it fully.
This Brante just agreed to every plot and scheme without commiting which led to his failure and death.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

We've learned that this world will not let you stay neutral, you have to pick a path and go for it.

I want to see the Priest route more than the Noble. And given this new policy of completely committing to a path, I suppose that means Lydia and Nathan.

C2.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
We learned this is a fundamentally cruel and unjust world, where those who try to live well and righteously are punished with suffering, agony, and irrelevance. That such a world cannot be reformed by any amount of mere words or compassion, and that there is only one hope if anyone is to know true peace: for it to all end in fire and ashes and stillness.

2C

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
1B

Through the life of Georg Brantes we learned many things, but among them was that our father would, in some way, shape or form, be there for us.

Also that religion is poo poo, we need to actually commit to a path, and that playing secret plots within the family is stupid and bad and kills our mum

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

C and 2

we learned that a servant cannot serve two masters, much less four

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
We learned that if you want to get something done, you better go all-in about it.

1A

Griffen
Aug 7, 2008
What we should learn is that if we are going to try to do something, we should actually DO it. No pussyfooting around unsure of what we are about, no compromising because we have baggage. Pull up our britches and do what must be done.

To that end, we must gain power to effect change. The noble path offers that, but Gregor is a dick. I would rather follow Robert's lead as a noble with compassion and conviction. 1b

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Griffen posted:

What we should learn is that if we are going to try to do something, we should actually DO it. No pussyfooting around unsure of what we are about, no compromising because we have baggage. Pull up our britches and do what must be done.

To that end, we must gain power to effect change. The noble path offers that, but Gregor is a dick. I would rather follow Robert's lead as a noble with compassion and conviction. 1b

Citizen Brante Égalité.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

1B because we should be awesome like Dad. I think our previous Brante's failing was that we tried to be everybody and ended up being a nobody.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016
Georg Brante taught us that, in the world The Twins created, the strong do as they will while the weak suffer what they must.

Let's fulfill Gregor's will by becoming the most respected, gentlemanly, despotic Noble we can.

edit: But we don't have to go ALL out of our way to be a dick to dad

1 A/B

Also, I've already played the Priest path, so I want to see the Noble one

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011
Also, I just finished a Priest playthrough.
If all the other paths are half as much of a ride, I'm very much looking forward to you showing things off, Kayten. For one it means I won't have to play through the game more and/or agonise over what decision to take, myself. :V

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Georg Brante learned that maybe you should've been trying to bribe the obvious mercenary Moss with all the money we collected to flip him against his current handler.

It does look like the vote's swinging heavily towards a noble playthrough, but nevertheless I'm going to vote for 2C. It may be fruitless, but when there's a will there's a way.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Georg learned that if you don't commit to people, they won't commit to you. He tried to keep his options open to play everyone in the big grand game. However, when it came time to play the cards, he had no favors to call.

I'm a 1A person. I want to see a very different Georg who plays on the stuffy noble team.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
How many early deaths are we going for this time?

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
id imagine there'll be another playthrough as priest? maybe a redo of the criminal? whats the op thinking?

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

id imagine there'll be another playthrough as priest? maybe a redo of the criminal? whats the op thinking?

Oh, we’ll definitely do both other routes, there’s stuff to talk about there. I’m probably not going to run through all the endings, since there are at least three of them per route, often more. But I’ll do an overview of them of some sort.

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
1B we learned that being close to power is the best and safest, but at the end of the day we’re still in it for ourselves. We should be a noble for us, not for Gregor and Stephan.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
C2

What we learned is that the system is unjust and, perhaps even more importantly, incorrect at it's theological roots. Lots are not the gods' will, they are the will of those in power in order to remain in power. It is in exposing this for all to see that true change can be enacted.

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013
1A if the voting is still open, please.

I want to see a "hard man making hard choices" Brante, who's willing to sacrifice anyone and everyone on the altar of his ambitions.

I'd also appreciate a more min-maxing approach to childhood, so that when he comes to adulthood, he's capable of doing things of his own accord.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

RabidWeasel posted:

Unironically this. Gloria had what in the context of the society she lived in was a pretty sweet deal, and even the more conservative parts of her family regularly ignored the fact that she didn't conform to any of the societal norms that she was expected to, in spite of them living in an extremely heirarchial society.

Yeah, I don't really care for her. She got treated as a member of the family in every sense but the Noble one, and basically never did anything for the sake of anyone else in the family.

Voting 1A

12Apr1961
Dec 7, 2013

Kayten posted:

I'll be upfront: I don't like Egmont. One, I don't like him being a capitalist whose only concern is to let rich assholes be on par with nobility, throwing the people who actually mine his silver (and all the other workers) to the wind. Two, I don't like how the game treats that approach as worth anything other than absolute contempt.

We see other lovely groups we can side with in this and other Paths - El Ferro, Magister El Verman, Otton, etc. But unlike Egmont, they are always portrayed as self-centered power-hungry entitled assholes, and you side with them to make your life better at the expense of others. Egmont, however, is shown to be this respectable almost revolutionary, the adult in the room, a moderate voice of reason. This is despite the fact that his preferred outcome is everything remaining as is, except the """captains of industry""" in the Lesser Quorum get to eat nice food and wear jewels without shame. Life would not improve for people like Sophia, people like Tommas, or even people like Gloria.

But let him tell you about it himself.

So, this is resurrecting a very old point, but it's one I didn't want to discuss back when it was first made, because it might have spoiled things for fellow readers. Unfortunately, the way that this particular Brante's story turned out, we didn't really see what came out of Mayor Egmont's plots, but perhaps we may see more of it in a future playthrough.

What I will say now is that I think the game actually agrees with you in how it views the Mayor, and it does not necessarily share his views on what is correct, desirable and achievable as far as the change in society goes.

I feel the game is very good at presenting flawed characters (and Mayor Egmont is definitely a flawed one!), in ways where they initially seem nice, or at least reasonable, and then later you just have to raise an eyebrow as to how their story turns out. Gloria might be one such example on the run that we just saw.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

12Apr1961 posted:

I feel the game is very good at presenting flawed characters (and Mayor Egmont is definitely a flawed one!), in ways where they initially seem nice, or at least reasonable, and then later you just have to raise an eyebrow as to how their story turns out. Gloria might be one such example on the run that we just saw.

I see Gloria as a very human character, personally. To me, she feels like she's so focused on what she doesn't have that she forgets just how many privileges that she does have. It's not wrong of her to want to be officially a part of the family, that she doesn't see just how lucky she is in a lot of ways. Unfortunately, it's very easy for people to be so eager to fight for what they believe they deserve that they miss all the good things they do have.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

I see Gloria as a very human character, personally. To me, she feels like she's so focused on what she doesn't have that she forgets just how many privileges that she does have. It's not wrong of her to want to be officially a part of the family, that she doesn't see just how lucky she is in a lot of ways. Unfortunately, it's very easy for people to be so eager to fight for what they believe they deserve that they miss all the good things they do have.

That's a little harsh, I think. Gloria's life deeply sucks. She is being emotionally and to some extent physically abused constantly by literally everyone around her, including her family, except Georg and perhaps Nathan (and he just ignores her), and there is no way out. The entire world is set up to tell her that she was less than dirt from the moment she was born and she'll never amount to more than that and she's supposed to be happy about it. She has no agency and every time she attempts to stand up for herself things suck even more. There's a reason the thread chose to side with her this entire time. There is very little in Gloria's life you could describe as good - she has a roof over her head and isn't starving, but that's about it. Even being adopted at the end has ultimately come at the cost of her mother's life and knowing that her father is going to resent her for the rest of their lives. The only one who ever cared about her - Georg - is dead. The family's in ruins. Once Robert dies she'll end up on the streets because Nathan's sure as poo poo not going to be able to look after her.

Don't get me wrong, she was also a selfish character laser focused on herself and her problems, but I don't think you could call her lucky or privileged except by comparing her to someone dying in a gutter.

If anyone fills your description - so eager to fight for what they believe they deserve that they miss all the good things they do have - it's Georg, at least this failed incarnation of him. We were privileged and we threw it away in the most half-assed way possible :v:

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Black Robe posted:

That's a little harsh, I think. Gloria's life deeply sucks. She is being emotionally and to some extent physically abused constantly by literally everyone around her, including her family, except Georg and perhaps Nathan (and he just ignores her), and there is no way out. The entire world is set up to tell her that she was less than dirt from the moment she was born and she'll never amount to more than that and she's supposed to be happy about it. She has no agency and every time she attempts to stand up for herself things suck even more. There's a reason the thread chose to side with her this entire time. There is very little in Gloria's life you could describe as good - she has a roof over her head and isn't starving, but that's about it. Even being adopted at the end has ultimately come at the cost of her mother's life and knowing that her father is going to resent her for the rest of their lives. The only one who ever cared about her - Georg - is dead. The family's in ruins. Once Robert dies she'll end up on the streets because Nathan's sure as poo poo not going to be able to look after her.

Don't get me wrong, she was also a selfish character laser focused on herself and her problems, but I don't think you could call her lucky or privileged except by comparing her to someone dying in a gutter.

If anyone fills your description - so eager to fight for what they believe they deserve that they miss all the good things they do have - it's Georg, at least this failed incarnation of him. We were privileged and we threw it away in the most half-assed way possible :v:

I'm not saying her life isn't terrible in a lot of ways and I'm not saying her suffering isn't valid. She has every right to be upset with her life and how she's treated. That being said, Gloria is lucky as well. In a world where most nobility are more like Gregor or Stephan, she has Robert. I'm not saying he's a good father to her, or even a decent one more than half the time, but with pushes from our Sir Brante, he can grow to treat her a lot better than Gregor ever would. The option to even let Gloria become an official part of the family wouldn't even be an option with Gregor in charge, and likely Stephan too. And in a world like this where lots decide the outcome instead of people, the opportunity for change isn't something that should be taken lightly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peachsynapse
Dec 22, 2007

The sea monsters appreciate your good taste.
Bought this game, played this game, became a Priest, had the Priest equivalent of Georg's fate happen to me.

Excellent let's play. Looks like you've sold a few copies of the game for them too.