Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

My Time at Portia is addicting even though I think it is a fairly terrible game. The mechanics are mostly annoying, none of the writing is very good, it's quite ugly, and YET. I have hours and hours of playtime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Metis of the Hallway posted:

My Time at Portia is addicting even though I think it is a fairly terrible game. The mechanics are mostly annoying, none of the writing is very good, it's quite ugly, and YET. I have hours and hours of playtime.
It's crazy addicting. If they actually improve the gameplay systems with Sandrock I'd absolutely be in for it.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
I loved SDV but bounced hard off Portia. The aesthetic is awful and I didn't quite gel with the gameplay.

This was years ago so maybe it's gotten better?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Nah, I gave Portia a shot earlier this year and I really didn't like it either. I was impressed with what I've played of Sandrock so far though so the studio's learned a lot from Portia.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm so loving excited for Palworld.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've tried to get into Portia a few times and meh. I just end up stopping. Sandrock had a spectacular crash bug when I tried it so I've shelved it for now.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It interests me to hear people saying Portia is ugly. I don't much care for the character design, but the landscapes take my breath away.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Portia’s landscape and background is truly beautiful. I have a chair right outside my house for watching the sky and sunset while waiting for my machines to produce stuff.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It interests me to hear people saying Portia is ugly. I don't much care for the character design, but the landscapes take my breath away.

The character designs are what get to me. I really hate them.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
(Most of them) are pretty cute, sorry!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Megazver posted:

(Most of them) are pretty cute, sorry!

Oh it's totally a matter of taste! I'm going to give Sandrock another try when it's closer to 1.0. I can usually get around aesthetic stuff and like you guys are saying, the landscapes are gorgeous.

Anyway back to modded Stardew. I dunno whether to go for a coop first or upgrade my house so I can start cooking. Taking it very easy because if I start to fret about deadlines and playing perfectly I stop enjoying myself. Also I accidentally pickaxed a blueberry plant.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

HopperUK posted:

Oh it's totally a matter of taste! I'm going to give Sandrock another try when it's closer to 1.0. I can usually get around aesthetic stuff and like you guys are saying, the landscapes are gorgeous.

Anyway back to modded Stardew. I dunno whether to go for a coop first or upgrade my house so I can start cooking. Taking it very easy because if I start to fret about deadlines and playing perfectly I stop enjoying myself. Also I accidentally pickaxed a blueberry plant.
I hate it so much when that happens.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I hit an artifact spot and the thing fell in the water and I'm almost sure it was an ancient seed. This farm is cursed! ...I'm not restarting. I don't care what you take from me, RIVER.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I hate it so much when that happens.

Yeah, often I wish someone would mod in an "undo" button. I'm currently playing with the Wabbajack Stardew Valley modpack... it's pretty great, but a bit overwhelming with all the people and stuff to do.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

yegods posted:

Yeah, often I wish someone would mod in an "undo" button. I'm currently playing with the Wabbajack Stardew Valley modpack... it's pretty great, but a bit overwhelming with all the people and stuff to do.

Yeah, I tried a big pack like that and got overwhelmed, so now I've just put in Expanded and added a few little bits and pieces. I mean... I have 102 mods enabled but it honestly isn't *that* much.

My favourite is probably Visible Fish.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I'm so loving excited for Palworld.

I want Palworld to be good, but having played their previous game Craftopia my expectations are extremely low :( It's still a hollow-feeling, half-finished thing after what, 2 years of early access?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

yegods posted:

It's called Quit to Main Menu.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

someone awful. posted:

I want Palworld to be good, but having played their previous game Craftopia my expectations are extremely low :( It's still a hollow-feeling, half-finished thing after what, 2 years of early access?

Didn't realize it was the same devs as craftopia. that sucks....

They couldn't pull off the netcode for even halfway functioning 8 player co-op. not sure how they are going to swing an MMO.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just want to do some extreme warcrimes.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Jack Trades posted:

I just want to do some extreme warcrimes.

Is it too early for a new thread title?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Jimlit posted:

Didn't realize it was the same devs as craftopia. that sucks....

They couldn't pull off the netcode for even halfway functioning 8 player co-op. not sure how they are going to swing an MMO.

I didn't think Palworld was supposed to be an MMO? I thought it was just another open world survival craft, but with legally-distinct-Pokemon warcrimes.

e: Are you thinking of Palia? That's the currently-in-alpha MMO that definitely fits in here.

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 2, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

It's crazy addicting. If they actually improve the gameplay systems with Sandrock I'd absolutely be in for it.

I played the EA when it became available and it was much improved in every way so far. I think the core gameplay loop is more or less the same, but every part of the process felt much better, flowed better, went smoother and faster. Load times also massively improved, and that was before the first optimization pass they did bringing load times like 90% lower, very tempted to just play the EA as it comes out.

The map and town feel better in Sandrock, I like the characters more, and the story has me more engaged and invested in the town. The basic theme of "working towards telesis" is just a nice vibe and theme. The water conservation stuff makes using water feel more fun than just busywork moving water around willynilly. The holiday games and stuff I've done were fun and felt fair to win or excel at. I have a hard time recommending Portia even though Sandrock isn't finished, it's just such a massive improvement all around I'd almsot say hop into it now knowing there will be bugs now and then and you'll likely reach the end of content until the next content patch.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

someone awful. posted:

I didn't think Palworld was supposed to be an MMO? I thought it was just another open world survival craft, but with legally-distinct-Pokemon warcrimes.

e: Are you thinking of Palia? That's the currently-in-alpha MMO that definitely fits in here.

I totally am. 😬 Oops

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Thank you to the people who recommended "I Was A Teenage Exocolonist". It's a jewel. The background art is beautiful, the characters are interesting, and the moral decisions are hard. I haven't finished my first run, but I'm obviously going to get killed off either by the fascists or the hot alien; my bet's on the hot alien or their friends.

I also appreciated the Murderbot reference.

e: I got a good ending first try! Botanist. I thwarted the genocide, talked to the leader about collaborating with the Gardeners, got nowhere, got my mack on with the alien, eventually drifted apart. Key point, though: neither the Gardeners nor the humans got wiped out. Mom, Dad, and other kid: bit it.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 3, 2022

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I'm giving up on Moonglow Bay. I never got any glitches, but dealing with the fish catch rate for some quest requirements is really frustrating and I'm done with it. I did like the story and the little loop of going out exploring new places, bringing back new fish and cooking them up, but getting the same eel twenty times in a row when im looking for a top hat fish just killed all my joy.

instantrunoffvote
Jul 23, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Thank you to the people who recommended "I Was A Teenage Exocolonist". It's a jewel. The background art is beautiful, the characters are interesting, and the moral decisions are hard. I haven't finished my first run, but I'm obviously going to get killed off either by the fascists or the hot alien; my bet's on the hot alien or their friends.

I also appreciated the Murderbot reference.

e: I got a good ending first try! Botanist. I thwarted the genocide, talked to the leader about collaborating with the Gardeners, got nowhere, got my mack on with the alien, eventually drifted apart. Key point, though: neither the Gardeners nor the humans got wiped out. Mom, Dad, and other kid: bit it.

Yeah, the game's good. The thing than impresses me is the breadth of content. My first playthrough, I had no idea the Gardeners even existed and it still felt like there was a lot of things going on.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Next time, I'm putting a LOT more effort into Persuasion.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

No love for Spiritfarer?

The game opens on a girl named Stella and her cat, Daffodil, meeting with Charon in the land of the dead. Charon has decided to retire and unceremoniously fob his work off on the two of them. Stella gets a big boat from a shark man, and it's her job to become the new ferryman of the dead: sailing the seas of the afterlife, landing on islands in search of the resources she needs to build up her ship and accommodate the departed spirits who wish to come aboard.

Keep your spirit passengers happy by fulfilling their requests, building good homes for them, talking to them, and of course giving them regular meals & hugs, and they'll help Stella out with plans for kitchens, gardens, foundries, and other facilities to expand her spiritfaring operations.

But of course, the nature of the job means none of them are sticking around forever. You'd better be ready for that. No, really.

Spiritfarer does get pretty grindy, but it's an absolutely beautiful and unique take on the life sim genre. Or is it a death sim?

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 4, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I was so drat pissed off that after all the sobbing I'd done it all turned out to be a hallucination in a hospital ward. I was invested, dammit.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Hwurmp posted:

Spiritfarer does get pretty grindy, but it's an absolutely beautiful and unique take on the life sim genre. Or is it a death sim?

"Does get pretty grindy" is a severe understatement and the main reason I never recommend it to anyone.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Yeah I enjoyed Spiritfarer for a bit but got so annoyed with the gameplay I dropped it.

My usual go-to for those situations was to just any% my way to the end but I just got too frustrated.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I've avoided Spiritfarer because my dad died a couple of years ago from Alzheimer's and I was advised it might completely destroy me. Maybe in another year or two.

flesh dance
May 6, 2009

Trivia posted:

Yeah I enjoyed Spiritfarer for a bit but got so annoyed with the gameplay I dropped it.

My usual go-to for those situations was to just any% my way to the end but I just got too frustrated.

Same, it was lovely at first but turned hard into oh it's one of these :geno:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Considering you can just turn off zombies even Project Zomboid is probably the best survival and farming sim out there. lol

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4011483

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tried playing it but I got too sad. :smith:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HopperUK posted:

I've avoided Spiritfarer because my dad died a couple of years ago from Alzheimer's and I was advised it might completely destroy me. Maybe in another year or two.

hey as someone in a similar position when I played it, smart move, absolutely loving ruined me long before I could get to the bad grindy bits.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

hey as someone in a similar position when I played it, smart move, absolutely loving ruined me long before I could get to the bad grindy bits.

:glomp: thanks! I shall continue to avoid

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I guess this is gonna be a life sim game, is that Disney game coming out this week getting any early reviews? The Disney dork in me was amused by the character creator being surprisingly solid but the combo of Disney and a mainly mobile game dev is making me think it's gonna be more along the 'you're out of Disney Energy, spend five bucks to get more' lines than 'it's like Animal Crossing but for the most insufferable people (me)'.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I guess this is gonna be a life sim game, is that Disney game coming out this week getting any early reviews? The Disney dork in me was amused by the character creator being surprisingly solid but the combo of Disney and a mainly mobile game dev is making me think it's gonna be more along the 'you're out of Disney Energy, spend five bucks to get more' lines than 'it's like Animal Crossing but for the most insufferable people (me)'.

I don't think there are any reviews of Dreamlight Valley yet? Looks like it's going to be on Game Pass, so I'll probably at least try it. My expectations are basically rock-bottom though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I tried "I Was A Teenage Exocolonist" thanks to this thread - it's really, really good. I'm pretty new to life sims (trying to expand thanks to this thread's great recs!) and it really drew me in.

My only experience with these kinds of games was the old Princess Makers and lovely flash knockoffs of the early 2000's, so it's good to see good games have come of the genre!