Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am trying to give Stardew another go, you know, had a thousand updates since I last played and dislike it.

This intro still kinda annoys me. I think we need more city life sims.

I haven't spent too much time in the game so far but yeah still not feeling it in this play through. I will try to get deeper in to see if anything changes but I dunno. I feel like this game nails an aesthetic or whatever, and its not personally my aesthetic, but that is fine. What really bothers me is there just doesn't feel like any character underneath that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Snooze Cruise posted:

I am trying to give Stardew another go, you know, had a thousand updates since I last played and dislike it.

This intro still kinda annoys me. I think we need more city life sims.

I haven't spent too much time in the game so far but yeah still not feeling it in this play through. I will try to get deeper in to see if anything changes but I dunno. I feel like this game nails an aesthetic or whatever, and its not personally my aesthetic, but that is fine. What really bothers me is there just doesn't feel like any character underneath that.

There's a big mod that takes place in the city and you have a whole other life there, but I'm not sure if it's been updated for 1.6 yet. Could be this game just isn't for you! I think if it's going to click, it'll click right away. Never mind!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

HopperUK posted:

There's a big mod that takes place in the city and you have a whole other life there, but I'm not sure if it's been updated for 1.6 yet. Could be this game just isn't for you! I think if it's going to click, it'll click right away. Never mind!

the city... the lights, the sights! the hustle, the bustle!!

It just puzzles me because hey I do love the genre and this is the one everyone else hails as the best one and I just... don't understand lol.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
city life sim

1. you own a clothing shop. its style savvy as a life sim.
2. you could date OLs. this is appealing to a himejoshi like me.
3. uh instead of butterfly collecting maybe there is like a thing where you can take photographs of people on the street who aren't like character characters. yay street photography.
4. trips on public transit. this is where the really fantastical elements of the game come into play for americans.
5. maybe its secretly about gentification or something, people would write think pieces about it and say its smart.
6. one romanacable character is part of a bad long form improv troupe and many events involve you suffering through their show. i like long form improv but this would be funny.
7. relaxing farming music, bleh! its time for cool city tracks that have horn sections

e:
Wait wait the photography system you could actually tie back to the clothing store stuff too by like certain outfits like giving you inspiration when you photograph them and then letting you like try new things in your designs???

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 16, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Please learn to make game and make that game, ty

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Everyone who played Rune Factory 5 wanted to marry the fox mom, sadly the devs still don't understand that.

And everyone who played 4 wanted to marry the dragon.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
No, I wanted to marry the dwarf blacksmith :mad:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Re: City Life Sim

Sunkissed City tentatively planned for end of 2024.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

And everyone who played 4 wanted to marry the dragon.

uhhhhhhhh, have you not seen her human form?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Non-canon. For the weaklings. True players gently caress the dragon when they're a dragon.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Anyway, snooze hating on Stardew kinda make me wanna play it again

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

No? She's a dragon.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
He doesn't know...

In any case; I think Stardew is so widely beloved because it's very easy to understand/accessible? It doesn't have a lot of depth in most areas but that's what makes it easy to play. Also the Art style is just universal enough to not put off people, EG anime tax for Rune factory games. Sound design is great and the bgm is catchy.
I personally don't like it too much either because everything in the game is just too slow and a lot of the animations are clunky and so is the crafting menu. But the average player doesn't care about that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I would really like Sandrock version of Stardew's Portia.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The community center is a large part of the secret sauce for most people. It gives a good mix of short, medium, and long term goals that are introduced slow enough to be comprehendible but quick enough you don't get bored. At least until you complete it you almost always have multiple goals to be working on each day that provide some positive impact once they're all complete.

Sos and RF can often feel aimless if you aren't good at setting your own goals and are familiar with its systems.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

I buy and play almost every HM/RF/Stardew knockoff on PC and none of them have quite captured me the way Stardew did and still does. I'm deep into my fourth long-term game of Stardew right now. I dunno, it just kinda does everything I want it to do. The customisation of the farm is huge for me and I don't really care for the combat. I like the characters, they're just enough without feeling like I have to take time away from whatever I feel like doing. And the moddability helps too.

e: I liked Sun Haven but the artstyle was a huge turnoff. The characters are ugly to me.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
stardew's combat is garbage, yes. that's a very small amount of the game, though.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

stardew's combat is garbage, yes. that's a very small amount of the game, though.

Yeah that was my point, though maybe I didn't express it properly. I don't care for combat in my farming games in general, so Stardew's limited combat doesn't bother me because I don't do that much of it.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I beat Rune Factory 4 ages ago and uh what? I don't remember seeing anything about this. Is it something that got added to the Definitive Edition? Didn't play that one.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
its just a portrait in the dev backroom with the fanart and achievement showcases

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
she temporarily transforms during a quest. but due to how quests in rf4 work, it's entirely possible you'll never trigger that one.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Gaius Marius posted:

Sos and RF can often feel aimless if you aren't good at setting your own goals and are familiar with its systems.

RF gives you really nice concrete goals to shoot for every time you talk to the mailbox/request board/hat rack/whatever. "Harvest X of Y type of seed" or "Harvest a level 2 crop" etc.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Lone Badger posted:

No? She's a dragon.

Tired Moritz posted:

Non-canon. For the weaklings. True players gently caress the dragon when they're a dragon.

When someone's implying you should not be romantically interested in the child 10,000 year old dragon, you should hit the loving brakes immediately.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I was on mobile last night so couldn't, but here's some screenshots of Sunkissed City. Made by someone who did some work on Stardew, and it shows.

Looks a lot like the Alpha Stardew style. Unclear how final that's going to be.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 16, 2024

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
nm, parsing failure. Managed to read Made as Maybe.

Twitter says Q4 2024 release is hoped. Can be wishlisted on steam if people want to support fellow goon Mr Podunkian.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I think stardew was the first of its kind, too. I think it's a really solid entry on its own, but I remember when it came out it was a very refreshing take on a genre that was stagnating for the most part. Despite having a high tolerance for anime I didn't like the rune factory games, harvest moon was kind of getting shittier and story of seasons had yet not really gotten going. All three series were known for having lovely translations where even the more recent games have chunks of untranslated text Japanese text.

Just having something with charm, quality and respect for the player all in one was huge. Now we got lots in the genre and looooooots of clones.

(Though I want to get rid of the cave diving mechanic in all these games now. I do NOT what to fight through several lovely procedurely generated rooms just to get rocks. gently caress.)

Sunkissed city looks good but I initially thought it was an overhaul mod for stardew. I hope it does well, gonna wishlist it.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Jyrraeth posted:

(Though I want to get rid of the cave diving mechanic in all these games now. I do NOT what to fight through several lovely procedurely generated rooms just to get rocks. gently caress.)

Completely agree. I'd also be okay with streamlining some of the farming mechanics. Like do I really need to dig, plant, water, and fertilize every single plant by hand? I get that there's a progression and eventually you can automate some/most of that, but it takes way too long to get there in most farming games.

I love how in Sandrock you can just change your selection size and do like a huge grid at once. All games should steal this mechanic.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

HopperUK posted:

I buy and play almost every HM/RF/Stardew knockoff on PC and none of them have quite captured me the way Stardew did and still does. I'm deep into my fourth long-term game of Stardew right now. I dunno, it just kinda does everything I want it to do. The customisation of the farm is huge for me and I don't really care for the combat. I like the characters, they're just enough without feeling like I have to take time away from whatever I feel like doing. And the moddability helps too.

e: I liked Sun Haven but the artstyle was a huge turnoff. The characters are ugly to me.

:same:

Jyrraeth posted:

I think stardew was the first of its kind, too.

Stardew was the first of its kind on PC.

Stardew was and still is a very direct homage of Friends of Mineral Town (FoMT). It has a lot of the same characters and gameplay mechanics. But FoMT, and the rest of the HM/SoS games were never ported to PC. So everyone who, like me, had been fans of the series for years bought SV sight unseen solely because it was on PC. Finally. Fortunately it is also a great game, so we were all not just pleasantly surprised but delighted.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 17, 2024

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Snooze Cruise posted:

city life sim

1. you own a clothing shop. its style savvy as a life sim.
2. you could date OLs. this is appealing to a himejoshi like me.
3. uh instead of butterfly collecting maybe there is like a thing where you can take photographs of people on the street who aren't like character characters. yay street photography.
4. trips on public transit. this is where the really fantastical elements of the game come into play for americans.
5. maybe its secretly about gentification or something, people would write think pieces about it and say its smart.
6. one romanacable character is part of a bad long form improv troupe and many events involve you suffering through their show. i like long form improv but this would be funny.
7. relaxing farming music, bleh! its time for cool city tracks that have horn sections

e:
Wait wait the photography system you could actually tie back to the clothing store stuff too by like certain outfits like giving you inspiration when you photograph them and then letting you like try new things in your designs???

Actually genuinely I think you’re on to something here. There’s lots to love about cities, why isn’t there a cozy city life sim. Why must everything be rural!

I could actually see a cool life sim concept based around a single city block or apartment building. I do think you need a strong gameplay hook to replace the farming though. Maybe go the racettar route and have your character run a store?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Zesty posted:

I was on mobile last night so couldn't, but here's some screenshots of Sunkissed City. Made by someone who did some work on Stardew, and it shows.

Looks a lot like the Alpha Stardew style. Unclear how final that's going to be.

hmm yeah i dunno about the look of this? it very much does feel like the look of a farm game town expanded out to city size, instead of just feeling like... a city city. if people catch my meaning.

Talorat posted:

Actually genuinely I think you’re on to something here. There’s lots to love about cities, why isn’t there a cozy city life sim. Why must everything be rural!

I could actually see a cool life sim concept based around a single city block or apartment building. I do think you need a strong gameplay hook to replace the farming though. Maybe go the racettar route and have your character run a store?

yeah store seems like your best bet. a more general stat raising sim would have more freedom but I can't really think of any other options besides store for something more in the stardew/RF style. though i guess like you could do a sorta handyman/repair thing sorta like sandrock does.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Slumlord. You inherit a dilipidated farm apartment block, plant crops tenants, harvest collect rent a measured time later (but remember to do the watering keep up repairs). Upgrading the plot building lets you cultivate more valuable crops tenants. Explore the dangerous dungeon alleyways for crafting materials.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Maybe you could grow herbs to sell to various bougie restaurants around the city? :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Snooze Cruise posted:

hmm yeah i dunno about the look of this? it very much does feel like the look of a farm game town expanded out to city size, instead of just feeling like... a city city. if people catch my meaning.

It'd be a bit difficult to do a properly dense cityscape with that style of perspective I think.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It'd be a bit difficult to do a properly dense cityscape with that style of perspective I think.

I think its more the colors than anything that feels off to me, maybe? Like its all colors that still kinda scream, farm game.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Snooze Cruise posted:

I think its more the colors than anything that feels off to me, maybe? Like its all colors that still kinda scream, farm game.

Ok, let's make it drab and dirty, how is this? :v:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It doesn't need to be darb and dirty >.<

Like its just the way it uses yellows and greens feel very farm game. There are colorful cities like Guanjuato...

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The palette is definitely a bit too bright/cheery for that kind of city vibe.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think what you guys are really getting at is that the Stardew artstyle is very flat :v:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Ok, let's make it drab and dirty, how is this? :v:

Accurate to the Midwest.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
I genuinely go back to The Urbz: Sims in the City (2004) for the GBA every once in a while, and while a large part of that is nostalgia I do also think most of it holds up reasonably well. Wish they still made Sims games like that nowadays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Slumlord. You inherit a dilipidated farm apartment block, plant crops tenants, harvest collect rent a measured time later (but remember to do the watering keep up repairs). Upgrading the plot building lets you cultivate more valuable crops tenants. Explore the dangerous dungeon alleyways for crafting materials.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/...of%20Obenseuer.

Has gotten pretty good reviews in the survival sim thread.