Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Megazver posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2402280/Werewolf_The_Apocalypse__The_Book_of_Hungry_Names/ I imagine

It's by Kyle Marquis who's very good at writing these. (He wrote VTM: The Night Road, if anyone else here CYOAs.)

Yes this. I dislike interactive novels, but Night Roads was so good and this is also starting off real strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

Megazver posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2402280/Werewolf_The_Apocalypse__The_Book_of_Hungry_Names/ I imagine

It's by Kyle Marquis who's very good at writing these. (He wrote VTM: The Night Road, if anyone else here CYOAs.)

Ah, thank you, that clears things up. I thought that had something to do with this thread, like some kind of farming simulator but with werewolves lol

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Umbreon posted:

Ah, thank you, that clears things up. I thought that had something to do with this thread, like some kind of farming simulator but with werewolves lol

I kind of want that now.

I especially want the explanation for why, presumably carnivorous, werewolves are farming.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

I kind of want that now.

I especially want the explanation for why, presumably carnivorous, werewolves are farming.

Vegetables feed animals, which are also on farms. You just have an intermediate step for your meal!

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LLSix posted:

I kind of want that now.

Bait for trapping. What started out as snares for rabbits has evolved into late night organic farmer's markets designed to lure in hipsters from out of town for the most dangerous (and delicious!) game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you need a husbandry angle so you can raise sheep

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

LLSix posted:

I kind of want that now.

Werewolves gotta make money somehow!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There can be a mechanic re: how you feed your livestock changes how good they are to eat.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

I love all those answers! Brilliant!

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

you need a husbandry angle so you can raise sheep

Sheep you say?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Now I wanna play that. Feeding my sheep right to make myself swole to fight in the mines

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

HopperUK posted:

I have an eye on 'Before the Green Moon' and 'Echoes of the Plum Grove'.

I've put a couple hours into Echoes of the Plum Grove, and it's decent. It's a little more hard-core than other farming games: you actually have to feed yourself regularly, and all of the crops/fish/foragables decay on a realistic timeframe, so you can't just survive off of a stack of 20 fish you ground out one Saturday two weeks prior. And also profits are pretty crappy on basic goods, so it feels very subsistence at the start.

The townsfolk seem pretty generic, though that also seems to be because the game expects you to play through generations, and so eventually the town will be NPCs randomly generated after all of the starting NPCs have died off. Personality traits seem to be more of a descriptor in the logbook than anything that comes through in conversation. Also, I have a lot of trouble telling any of them apart due to them all having happy blobby faces and I can't really tell and remember that Sarah has a triangle nose and a white kerchief while Amanda has a circle nose and a pink kerchief.

But it's still interesting! I've barely scratched the main plot so I couldn't even begin to tell you what's going on but there's a lot of muttering about the King's taxes but also there's a witch so I have no idea what's going to happen.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just finished A Wonderful Life. Would not recommend. What a slog.

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010
I’m in the market for some farming. I think my shortlist currently is (steam deck):

Harvestella - I dig the art style and have had it heartily recommended by a friend

Rune Factory 4/5 - I’ve tried to get into 4 a few times but it’s never quite clicked. I’m more open to farming now so maybe I should try it again. 5 also looks fine but I know that people weren’t super pleased with it at launch.

Fae Farm - I feel like I want a bit more of an adventure than this one would offers but i’ve heard it’s a very good mindless grind game and might complement my yakuza marathon nicely.

Anything else - Absolutely open to recommendations! I’ve enjoyed Stardew a lot and before that Friends of Mineral Town (og) and Animal Parade. I just refunded Plum Grove despite my positive initial impressions because I just wasn’t vibing with it enough.

I have Sandrock and I’m going to give it a shot one day I just want to take advantage of the sale that’s currently going because I’m on the fence for a lot of these games.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Dragon Quest Builders 2 is 40% off as well, don't sleep on it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

LeFishy posted:

I’m in the market for some farming. I think my shortlist currently is (steam deck):

Harvestella - I dig the art style and have had it heartily recommended by a friend

Rune Factory 4/5 - I’ve tried to get into 4 a few times but it’s never quite clicked. I’m more open to farming now so maybe I should try it again. 5 also looks fine but I know that people weren’t super pleased with it at launch.

Fae Farm - I feel like I want a bit more of an adventure than this one would offers but i’ve heard it’s a very good mindless grind game and might complement my yakuza marathon nicely.

Anything else - Absolutely open to recommendations! I’ve enjoyed Stardew a lot and before that Friends of Mineral Town (og) and Animal Parade. I just refunded Plum Grove despite my positive initial impressions because I just wasn’t vibing with it enough.

I have Sandrock and I’m going to give it a shot one day I just want to take advantage of the sale that’s currently going because I’m on the fence for a lot of these games.

If you are looking for an adventure, Harvestella or either of the Rune Factory games are good picks.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

LLSix posted:

If you are looking for an adventure, Harvestella or either of the Rune Factory games are good picks.

Worth noting - Harvestella is a JRPG with farming mechanics attached to it more than a farming game in its own right. RF also leans heavier on combat, but is far more farming focused. Both are a lot of fun and a great blend of farming + RPG mechanics. RF4 is the best in the series mechanically by a large shot, but 5 is serviceable. 5 does add some neat mechanics, but the change to 3d has some issues, there are performance problems on the switch, and the combat feels a bit clunkier in the way the character model attacks and dashes (there are more full stops in the animations and less animation canceling than in 4).

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, i'm gonna end up returning runefactory 4, y'all weren't kidding when you said it was very anime. I've been fast forwarding through nonsensical dialogue for at least five minutes and don't seem to be close to any actual gameplay

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Maybe keep in mind the Steam refund time limit but the insane tutorialization does let up eventually.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Holy poo poo, i'm gonna end up returning runefactory 4, y'all weren't kidding when you said it was very anime. I've been fast forwarding through nonsensical dialogue for at least five minutes and don't seem to be close to any actual gameplay

I couldn’t do it either and refunded it. I’m waiting on Sandrock to get a decent sale and that’ll be my new game now that I’m done with Stardew 1.6.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

mycot posted:

Maybe keep in mind the Steam refund time limit but the insane tutorialization does let up eventually.

Yeah, its important to keep in mind that for the longest time farming games were seen as primary something to sell to children and their mothers and even with Rune Factory aiming for the high schooler range instead, they were still probably keeping in mind the idea of a younger kid stumbling into RF as well.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Nope, already put in the refund request. I almost did it immediately when the dialogue choice of "gently caress yeah we're flying" was boy and "oh no we're very high" was girl.

Yeah waiting on Sandrock, I might reinstall Portia or Graveyard Keeper

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I love the gender binary. Its so true boys and girls have differing opinions on air travel.

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

Zesty posted:

Just finished A Wonderful Life. Would not recommend. What a slog.

Yup. While I'm sure the remake improves some things, the fact is the core gameplay is just too barebones to be enjoyable for the length of time the game expects you to play it.

It has a bunch of experimental systems that mostly didn't work out, and the few bits that did are just too few and far between the vast stretches of boring drudgery that is 95% of the game, and later games would uses the bits that did work to much better effect.

It's the most extreme example of "First Year Is Most Fun To Play" I've ever experienced in a farming game. Which is a shame because I think it has my favorite villager concepts in the series (Nami is the best bachelorette in the series, bar none).

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
huh. I would say the first year is pretty bad, and it's only the second year when you have new mechanics and direction that the game feels exciting for a moment. But then you have everything done by year 4 with two years ago, except for tedious tasks like getting to 100 bulletin board quests completed.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
Just noticed My Time at Portia is 80% off on Steam, can you get all of the achievements in that game in a single playthrough eventually or are there some you can somehow miss/permanently gently caress up?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Brut posted:

Just noticed My Time at Portia is 80% off on Steam, can you get all of the achievements in that game in a single playthrough eventually or are there some you can somehow miss/permanently gently caress up?

There are achievements gained through romancing specific individuals. Emily, Ginger, and Mint at least, from what I can see by referencing my achievements. There's an achievement for getting divorced, for some reason, and another for getting caught cheating on your partner by actively dating someone else.

You could get all of these in one playthrough, I guess. Or you could save scum. Or you can play a couple of times. I enjoy returning to these games every couple of years or so, and it feels less weird than being manipulative and game-y.

First playthrough of these games should be blind anyway. You can always come back later and be super minmax metagame-y anytime. You can't be surprised later.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 2, 2024

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Zesty posted:

There are achievements gained through romancing specific individuals. Emily, Ginger, and Mint at least, from what I can see by referencing my achievements. There's an achievement for getting divorced, for some reason, and another for getting caught cheating on your partner by actively dating someone else.

You could get all of these in one playthrough, I guess. Or you could save scum. Or you can play a couple of times. I enjoy returning to these games every couple of years or so, and it feels less weird than being manipulative and game-y.

First playthrough of these games should be blind anyway. You can always come back later and be super minmax metagame-y anytime. You can't be surprised later.

Yeah I'm mostly annoyed when like 99% of the achievements are collection stuff or challenges you can retry within the game, but then one achievement would be like a full-run speedrun achievement or something.

The ideal achievement situation for me is that I can just play the game without looking anything up, and be assured that whenever I'm done finding things organically, I can simply look up the list and everything remaining is at least still possible.

With very few exceptions for high quality short games (Portal or something like that) I do not do second playthroughs of anything, there's just too many games.

Appreciate the info!

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Brut posted:

There is one missable achievement that I'm aware of. Keeping the details vague: early on in the story, the city will publish five commissions at once, each for the same item. The achievement is completing & turning in all five commissions before the rival builder is able to take any of them. Since it's for a story mission, you only get one shot at it.

There are a few ways to make this easier, but the main one is to complete the prior mission (minor spoilers, it's installing a battery in a cave) on a Thursday. The commissions are published two days after that, and the rival builder doesn't take commissions on weekends, so you'd have two days to do them all and that would be more than enough time to get all the materials together, if for some reason you didn't have them already.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Paper Tiger posted:

There is one missable achievement that I'm aware of. Keeping the details vague: early on in the story, the city will publish five commissions at once, each for the same item. The achievement is completing & turning in all five commissions before the rival builder is able to take any of them. Since it's for a story mission, you only get one shot at it.

There are a few ways to make this easier, but the main one is to complete the prior mission (minor spoilers, it's installing a battery in a cave) on a Thursday. The commissions are published two days after that, and the rival builder doesn't take commissions on weekends, so you'd have two days to do them all and that would be more than enough time to get all the materials together, if for some reason you didn't have them already.

Rad, I suppose I can save at that precursor mission and reload if I somehow mess it up eventually. Hopefully there's multiple saves without moving files around.

Thank you!

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Brut posted:

Rad, I suppose I can save at that precursor mission and reload if I somehow mess it up eventually. Hopefully there's multiple saves without moving files around.

Thank you!

There are. Portia uses daily auto saves. I don’t know how many days they go back, but its probably enough for those few days.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Touhou Mystia's Izakaya has officially announced English language support for the whole game and all DLCs...although the announcement is titled "ENGLISH VERSION SURPPORTED!" so ymmv

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:29 on May 2, 2024

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Brut posted:

Keeping in mind the thing you said about single playthroughs due to too many games, I highly suggest skipping Portia and getting Sandrock instead. Sandrock improves on the gameplay in every way such that it renders Portia obsolete. If it's a cost thing, go for Portia I suppose, but otherwise you'd be much better served getting the sequel.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why, when they could play both?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Portia is just really, really bad compared to Sandrock.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

Portia is just really, really bad compared to Sandrock.

This is telling me a lot about Sandrock. Because despite playing about 70 hours of Portia it petered out.

Glad to see they've honed it as a "polished"game. If they make sales and survive another release they could really have a series on their hands.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sandrock is seriously the biggest improvement I ever seen from a sequel.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Mrenda posted:

This is telling me a lot about Sandrock. Because despite playing about 70 hours of Portia it petered out.

Glad to see they've honed it as a "polished"game. If they make sales and survive another release they could really have a series on their hands.

Yeah I wrapped up the main questline after 120 hours, some of which was trying to farm crystals from the ghost mine for the titanium for the plane, should have got the crystal trees from the church way earlier, feels like there should have been more to it

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I really need to give Sandrock a go, I’ve hesitated forever because “Portia but better” didn’t grab me - because Portia didn’t. It does seem like it’s closer to “Portia but WAY better” which might be enough to enjoy it.

I really like any game that has “map based” progression like building bridges and things and of course love crafting junk, but could never get Portia to stick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I really like any game that has “map based” progression like building bridges and things and of course love crafting junk, but could never get Portia to stick.

Just out of curiosity, what were you using to scratch this itch before?