Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

skeleton warrior posted:

Also some people complaining that there is no cat option, you must have a dog.

So you're saying it's the perfect game, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

smh @ the dog supremacists itt

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So, which Life Sim games have the most combat and adversity? These games are definitely overlapping with a lot of things I like but I'm looking for something with a hostile environment.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, which Life Sim games have the most combat and adversity? These games are definitely overlapping with a lot of things I like but I'm looking for something with a hostile environment.
Rune Factory games have a lot of action. If you want something slightly less life-sim, there's Dysmantle maybe? (by the dev of Jydge and Crimsonland), which is more action & crafting, and only a very very tiny bit of farming, cooking and fishing as optional activities.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Jack B Nimble posted:

I think it'd be easier to flip it around - you want combat and adversity, what parts of a life sim do you like?

Like, Hardspace Shipbreaker has a lot of adversity in it, especially as you're first learning it, but I'm not clear if it would have the life sim parts you want.

Long Live the Queen has a poo poo-ton of adversity and a hostile environment, but it's more of a puzzle game than a real Princess Maker-type life sim.

I Was A Teenage Exocolonist also has a poo poo-ton of adversity; nothing goes right and everything is pain on your first run, and you can push into explorations of the planet to constantly fight enemies if you want. But having said that, the central mechanic is all card game, it's not an ARPG.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I Was A Teenage Exocolonist is extremely good and it also made me realize that all of my favorite media has large amounts of misery in it, which probably says something about me.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A phrase I use some times is I don't like walking sims, but most of my favorite games have a lot of walking. I played Morrowind, Skyrim, Witcher 3 without fast travel and savored the journey.

I enjoy constructing settlements, homes, colonies, and fortresses; I like carving out a safe space in a dangerous world. If I'm stopping at a camp fire in Eldern Ring or I'm back yst my fortress in Valhiem, I might eat or drink something in real life and leave the game on for mood (it's fun to pretend :shrug:).

Games I've enjoyed:

Skyrim with the Wildlander Overhaul
Morrowind with the Ashfall mod
Valhiem
Death Stranding
Fallout 4 with the Horizon Overhaul
The Longest Dark single player campaign

A lot of this is more in the Open World ARPG or the Survival vein, but I also see a lot of elements that push towards games like Harvest Moon. But I tend to want a bit more drama and overt push back from the game world, I think?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I was gonna buy Potion Permit but honestly 'no mouse support' and 'a dozen pieces of day 1 cosmetic DLC' have put me off for now.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Jack B Nimble posted:

A phrase I use some times is I don't like walking sims, but most of my favorite games have a lot of walking. I played Morrowind, Skyrim, Witcher 3 without fast travel and savored the journey.

I enjoy constructing settlements, homes, colonies, and fortresses; I like carving out a safe space in a dangerous world. If I'm stopping at a camp fire in Eldern Ring or I'm back yst my fortress in Valhiem, I might eat or drink something in real life and leave the game on for mood (it's fun to pretend :shrug:).

Games I've enjoyed:

Valhiem
Death Stranding

A lot of this is more in the Open World ARPG or the Survival vein, but I also see a lot of elements that push towards games like Harvest Moon. But I tend to want a bit more drama and overt push back from the game world, I think?

Its more Survival sim but You should try Vintage Story. Basically a hardcorish minecraft. Theres a thread for it here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012729&pagenumber=3&perpage=40

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Hihohe posted:

Its more Survival sim but You should try Vintage Story. Basically a hardcorish minecraft. Theres a thread for it here

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012729&pagenumber=3&perpage=40

It's not pretty :negative:

But no, I own it, and will probably play it more at some point.

When I think of the difference between a life sim and a survival game I suppose one major difference is NPCs? I keep hoping someone will make an NPC mod for Valhiem.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jack B Nimble posted:

Games I've enjoyed:

Valhiem
Death Stranding

Cyberpunk 2077 has been the best "moody screensaver" game for me for years now. But that isn't thead related. Fallout 76 has the mechanical loop that supports it's basebuilding then goes away and it is far easier to check out a dude's house than Valheim, but is not "put down for dinner" friendly.

Dysmantle upthread is really really good for the "capture and make safe" feeling of progression.

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Have you tried Subnautica? Obviously more of a swimming game than a walking game, but it sounds like the sort of thing you're looking for.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Tobermory posted:

Have you tried Subnautica? Obviously more of a swimming game than a walking game, but it sounds like the sort of thing you're looking for.

Playing Subnautica is never a bad idea.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Go play Don't Starve right now.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
These are all good suggestions; I've played them all though a few, like don't starve and Subnautica, I didn't finish and should probably return to.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

nth-ing that I was a Teenage Exocolonist was great. I’m holding off on replying it though, I’m not sure I’m up for another run right away.

Does anyone have any thoughts on Potion Permit? Graphically it looks great, but charm is a hard thing to judge. I know it has a demo on PC, but unfortunately not on console as far as I could see.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

Jack Trades posted:

smh @ the dog supremacists itt

Never thought I’d see anti cat racism in the life sim thread.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jack B Nimble posted:

These are all good suggestions; I've played them all though a few, like don't starve and Subnautica, I didn't finish and should probably return to.

If you haven't played Rimworld, you should try it. You're building a colony out of shipwrecked survivors, and boy howdy does a lot of poo poo go on. Soon you'll look up and ask yourself "Why do I have 100 mods?"

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Jack B Nimble posted:

Project Zomboid honestly is getting to life sim levels a an npc mod and is very hostile.

I guess to the extent Moonlighter is a life sim, that? Part of the adversity is the game not being that good tho imo.

E: maybe Sun Haven? It is like if heavily modded stardew was a freestanding game, and expands the adventuring side of things a bit.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Flail Snail posted:

After bugging the Re:Legend people again, I've been handed the second Steam key from my pledge level. It's been five-ish years since the Kickstarter campaign ended and the game finally came out of early access on the fifth of this month. The game is appealing to me - gather resources, plant crops, fight, tame monsters, use the monsters to help you farm, etc - but the full release seems to have several bugs I hadn't experienced during the years of alpha gameplay.

Anyone wants to play, hit me up and I'll get the key to you tomorrow. My messages should be enabled. It's late - more :words: tomorrow, maybe.

I stopped playing this when I made all the money I'd ever need in the first month and realized the game was much more interested in the fighting/adventure parts than the farming I wanted. Is farming still really shallow?

Do water fish still attack your water plants almost every day? Tending to them was super tedious.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

tildes posted:

Project Zomboid honestly is getting to life sim levels a an npc mod and is very hostile.

I was just about to come into this thread to talk about how good a life sim PZ is. With the right settings you can have a fairly chill game with the occasional zombie troubles and the combat is far better than any other life sim I can think of.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Potion Permit? Graphically it looks great, but charm is a hard thing to judge. I know it has a demo on PC, but unfortunately not on console as far as I could see.

I very much enjoyed the feel of the demo. Harvesting and mixing up medicine to treat people's illnesses felt quite nice to do (if simple), and the art style won me over. Most of the characters are pretty standoffish from the start, though, if that's something you don't like in this kind of game.

Haven't had time to dig into the full game yet, but I'm looking forward to it. :)

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

CottonWolf posted:

I was pretty disappointed, but all my gripes boil down to two things.

1) I like making friends with all the cool NPCs. The villagers in Potion Permit start out hating you for reasons that I totally understand, but it's still not very fun. Even once you start getting on their good side, they're still kind of unpleasant.

2) The game designers have a very clear vision and don't want the player deviating from it. This shows up in lots of annoying little ways. Here are a couple of examples but there are others. The city has roads. The only way to get from point a to point b is by following the roads. You can't jump the fences or even pass between two buildings, there's always something blocking player movement except along the one allowed path. For the first several hours of the game at least, there's no point in not just doing the quests they give as quickly as possible. Doing anything other than exactly what you're told to do just wastes your time. You can't go exploring until you're given the exploring quest. You can't talk to the villagers until you're given the talk to villagers quest. You can't even do your job of healing people until you do the first several healing people quests. It's all painfully linear.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I feel like you're angry that there's a tutorial, but I get where you're coming from. I'm enjoying it so far.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

nth-ing that I was a Teenage Exocolonist was great. I’m holding off on replying it though, I’m not sure I’m up for another run right away.

Don't you want to save Tammy?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

ARK: Survival Evolved is free on the Epic Games Store. I have no idea if it's any good.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Arsenic Lupin posted:

ARK: Survival Evolved is free on the Epic Games Store. I have no idea if it's any good.

Did they ever fix the install size being close to/over 300GB?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
How is the actual doctoring in Potion Permit? Stardew but X always sounds appealing until I find out that none of the other tasks can be made as fun as farming and fishing, simple as they are.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I've only dealt with three patients so far but I enjoyed the minigames (memory and press at the right time), hopefully they get more difficult later on though.

I think it's kinda funny that they always use the same bed for patients when there's five others.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah, so far it’s just “find a bad area on a person, play a minigame to diagnose, run off to play tetronimo to make the right potion”.

It’s very light. I’m holding off on upgrading the cauldron because “make this tetronimo with only 5 pieces” actually adds some thinking into it. Definitely don’t go into this thinking it’ll be zacktronic type puzzles

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

I think you want to get rid of the rockslide before getting upgrades, the trees and rocks give more resources back there.
Still not sure how to sell potions though

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Four hours into Wandering Village, and I'm pretty meh about it. It's so sloooow. You only get villagers by random events (either running across them on the road or sending out scavenging parties), so you're constantly resource-constrained. I think a lot of my complaints would be resolved if there were a speed 4, moving more briskly down the road.

There's just not much to do. Farm, mine, cut trees, research, wait until you can research enough to do something more interesting than that. Four hours in, I still can't forge or make glass or do anything with advanced materials. The control over which workers do which isn't fine-grained enough for me; you have individual buildings that control what the workers in that building do, so to tune how many farmers, miners, carriers you want, you have to build a [worker-controller] (forget the exact name) to control each one separately.

I'm pretty bored. I'll come back in a few weeks to see what's new.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

I think you want to get rid of the rockslide before getting upgrades, the trees and rocks give more resources back there.
Still not sure how to sell potions though

One of the villagers builds you a mailbox after you progress a bit that lets you sell potions.

I'm very much enjoying Potion Permit thus far. It's not particularly deep, but the townsfolk have cute stories, the art style and atmosphere are pleasant, and I guess I'm just finding the general gameplay loop to be extremely soothing.

Do wish the townsfolk had more daily banter, though. But I did befriend a homeless man's pet cat, and that's nice. :shobon:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

someone awful. posted:

One of the villagers builds you a mailbox after you progress a bit that lets you sell potions.

I'm very much enjoying Potion Permit thus far. It's not particularly deep, but the townsfolk have cute stories, the art style and atmosphere are pleasant, and I guess I'm just finding the general gameplay loop to be extremely soothing.

Do wish the townsfolk had more daily banter, though. But I did befriend a homeless man's pet cat, and that's nice. :shobon:

Yeah, I got it built a bit after I asked, hahaha.

And I agree that this is a really pleasant game to play, I still haven't gotten to the next permit level and the icy biome but I like the scope of this game.

I wonder how old the protagonist is supposed to be considering the limited dating options include Rue, who I thought was a child, and the pirate woman who talks of many years of sailing.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

SkyeAuroline posted:

Did they ever fix the install size being close to/over 300GB?

Nah it's only gotten worse.

Game is fun though as long as you play on custom servers with the tame speed bumped up

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Never cared for Ark, it just seems like all you do is tame dinosaurs. Like it looks like there more to do in the game, but you can't do it because the world is too dangerous until you tame all those dinosaurs, and its so slow and tedious. Probably doesn't help that it runs like poo poo on my computer too.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah fundamentally not wanting to tame dinosaurs was a big reason I played more atlas than ark.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Unironically I hate Ark for making me type the words "taming dinosaurs isn't fun"

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

My only experience with Ark was buying it with the Genesis pack, trying the "Easy" Swamp biome and getting killed by insects over and over before I could really do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I am very annoyed that in Potion Permit buying the first clinic upgrade doesn’t make the clinic visually less disgusting. That was my primary motivation for the upgrade! This poo poo isn’t sanitary! There’s broken glass everywhere!

Also I agree with the other poster that said they seem very particular about the order in which you unlock things. They seem like they were really concerned that giving you all the game mechanic at once would be overwhelming, but the end result is a drip feed so slow it ends up feeling like there’s nothing to do but chop trees. It’s starting to feel very grindy.