Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Cool new thread!

So I've been wondering for a while and I figured folks interested in this thread would know:

Is Dinkum good?

It looks really good, but I'm not sure how the animal crossing gameplay would feel in not-real-time. If you can just go to bed for the next day, but there's no seasonal pressure like Stardew, I feel like there's a lot of times you'd want to just go to bed a bunch of times in a row to progress things, which feels bad. I also wonder about these early access games. I feel like it'd be easy to get burnt out on something like this before all the content is in.

I've got a friend I'd like to coop it with. Anyone got coop experience with it in its current form?

Eiba fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

i don't have enough experience in the genre though I have played: Stardew Valley, Graveyard Keeper, My Time at Portia, some of Rune Factory 4, some of Little Dragon's Cafe, Powerwash Simulator, Train Station Renovation, DQ Builders 1 & 2, Staxel, Gas Station Simulator, some of Verdant Skies, and House Flipper. Actually does Fantasy Life count? I guess that's more ARPG than life sim.
Fantasy Life should absolutely count! It's got an ARPG in it, but so does Stardew Valley. It's definitely just one aspect of the game which is otherwise a solid life simulator.

I had almost forgotten about it, but I had a ton of fun playing it alongside a friend ages ago now. I would love it if there were more games like Fantasy Life. As far as I can tell it's absolutely unique in its emphasis when it deserved to have a bunch of clones, or at least sequels that weren't mobile garbage. Heck, at this point I'd settle for a remaster of the original, as the 3DS graphics aren't amazing.

Anyone who's interested in the concept of life sims should probably at least look up a review for it. It's a cute classic fantasy world where you can switch your jobs around, and each job has a really fun sense of progression. It's got some grindy elements, and some simple minigame crafting mechanics, but I personally found them all really satisfying. The game really just has a ton of charm- if you think it looks cute you'll probably have fun with it.

tildes posted:

Dinkum is super fun. There is some seasonal pressure actually - some crops are seasonal, fish change, bugs change etc. Nothing so far has taken more than a day or two to finish in terms of town progression, so never felt like sleeping a bunch of days was the move. Non-farming stuff is really built out, basically all I’ve done, so you’re not beholden to the crop timer as much. In general it is just surprisingly well developed all round.

Coop is fun, but you sort of have to decide you’re going to just progress that one person’s island. But, guests can do a lot more than in animal crossing. It’s closer to a stardew farmhand, just as a temporary visitor.
Alright, that's put some of my fears to rest. Nice.

How's the decoration/customization content compared to something like Animal Crossing? Can you really make things your own style, or is it more on the Stardew side of things where this is your setting and you're just grinding through it, perhaps with a different color shirt?

At this point I'll probably get it either way, but it would probably have to have some solid customization for me to get my friend on board. Coop is more fun when you can show off how you decided to decorate something.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Galick posted:

does My Summer Car count because oh boy I got words about that one
I've only seen videos of My Summer Car but I'd absolutely say it counts.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Brut posted:

Bit surprised it barely got mention in here, Palia has been in open beta for a couple weeks now, it's an actual free beta and not just early access if you buy it, so might be worth checking out if you're looking for something to play.
I think it's really good and completely scratches the itch for a nice farming game. And it's completely free with the only thing you buy being some cosmetic outfits. I gather some folks were expecting a lot more from it and there's a surprising amount of negativity about it but, hey, it's free. Worth a try, right?

There is also a thread for it.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

siotle posted:

Wildmender came out this week! I sunk a notable amount of time into the demo (which is discontinued, unfortunately) but I liked it a lot.

The conceit is that you start off at a small oasis with just a few plants growing around you, and your goal is to survive and figure out what happened to turn the world into a wasteland. It has more survival aspects and no relationship building, but you grow a ton of plants and can terraform the world around you.

In addition, if you want to ignore the survival aspects or combat, the difficulty settings are pretty comprehensive, letting you adjust hunger/thirst drain, enemy stats, and the passage of time, among other things.
Looks cute!

How's the co-op? I'd probably play it entirely with a friend, does that work well?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

siotle posted:

Wildmender came out this week! I sunk a notable amount of time into the demo (which is discontinued, unfortunately) but I liked it a lot.

The conceit is that you start off at a small oasis with just a few plants growing around you, and your goal is to survive and figure out what happened to turn the world into a wasteland. It has more survival aspects and no relationship building, but you grow a ton of plants and can terraform the world around you.

In addition, if you want to ignore the survival aspects or combat, the difficulty settings are pretty comprehensive, letting you adjust hunger/thirst drain, enemy stats, and the passage of time, among other things.
Just to follow up on this, Wildmender now has its own thread because it is in fact quite good.

I have a longer post in that thread, but I felt folks here should know that the co-op is great, and so is the chill farming life-sim stuff. (Though there is harsh survival stuff and light combat, when you venture off to explore the world.)

I find it immensely satisfying that it's a game where your garden isn't just a big square monoculture, but tends to look like actual gardens of early agricultural people with everything mixed together to the mutual benefit of all the plants, and by extension you.

And the character customization, while light, is cute and to the point. You can change the color value of each piece of your clothing at any time, allowing you to look cute and distinct right from the start of the game (a very important element of a coop game, imo).

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I am looking forward to Palia coming to Steam, it looks like it could absorb my life.
It does look that way doesn't it. Unfortunately, unless they added a whole lot since I played, it's definitely on the shallower end of life sim games.

Still, I got a good 20 or so hours out of it, and considering it was free that's a very good dollar to hour of enjoyment ratio.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Wildmender is just about the most fun game I've ever played.

Issues mentioned above are definitely valid, and I don't want to give the impression that I think it's flawless or anything, but there's so much good about it that it's totally outweighed in my experience.

It's just the feeling of the harsh lonely wasteland being slowly reclaimed bit by bit as you make a fantastic ecologically complex refuge is so good.

It doesn't really matter if the building system is a bit awkward, or you can't perfectly terraform the land- as long as you have water and the right plants the world will begin to flourish bit by bit. Even if you sloppily mash things together- that's okay. You're not making an industrial farm, you're helping nature along.

There's a wonderful feeling you get when you realize you're not hacking some square plot out of nature to make money or anything like that- different plants need each other to do well, and different plants do better in different environments. You need to create a balanced natural environment to survive. The gameplay really drives home the themes of achieving a balance with nature, not just as some abstract cozy ideal, but because you will die if you don't. I don't want to spoil the story too much- it's minimal and unsubtle and good and is very much drives home this idea. The wasteland you're reclaiming isn't a natural one, but the product of human disruption. The cozy feeling of balance is a vital survival tool, and that message is effectively extrapolated in a way that is relevant to the way we think about environmental issues in the real world.

I cannot recommend it enough. I've taken to lurking in all the management/survival/farming megathreads around here specifically because I don't want to miss such a life-changingly cozy game like that. I only gave it a try because of a casual mention in the management game megathread. It clearly hasn't affected other people the way it's affected me, because I don't see much hype for it here or elsewhere, so I always want to keep an eye out for any similarly nice games that get casually mentioned and quickly forgotten.

And just to help sell people on it- not everything about it is janky. The way you move around the world is incredibly satisfying. The combat is not particularly in depth or complicated, but to me at least it felt really good to jump and slide and fly around while fighting.

It may be difficult to create perfect structures and deliberately intricate gardens, but just slapping stuff down and enjoying the wild vivacious mess you've made feels great. It's an incredibly beautiful game, if you're into that art style.

Dick Trauma posted:

Wildmender has an interesting player comment on the Steam page that the final boss is spawned in the middle of your garden, and in this person's case much of their hard customization work was destroyed along with their storage.
The game telegraphs that so hard and there's a ton of things you can do to prepare for it. And it's also really easy to kite it away from your sensitive stuff.

It sounds like that person had a bad experience, but it's totally thematically in keeping with the story, and a great ludo-narrative synergy, considering what you learn about the boss before it happens. Basically everything you've been building and growing has been undoing the bullshit that guy inflicted on the world, and having him do that on a small scale to the stuff you painstakingly rebuilt is a very effective way to make his role in the story viscerally upsetting, and his defeat all the more urgent and satisfying. But I can also see how it just feels like poo poo to have your sandcastle knocked down. If anyone's worried about that, I'd consider saving the final boss until you're ready for that.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 17, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

LLSix posted:

It's the final boss. Does it matter if your farm gets knocked over fighting it? Isn't the game over at that point?

I'm a hoarder in most games and it's always a relief to get the last level or last boss and finally get to start spending everything I've been saving the whole game for.
Yes. There's not much you need your base for at that point. But the game does let you keep going and gardening for the joy of gardening, and pursue some bonus objectives, and I can see why someone would be upset that their meticulously crafted garden got wrecked, especially when it is fiddly to make things just right.

I'll add that one of the things I liked about Wildmender is it does have a very achievable end point. Most farming/survival/management games just kind of run out of content or novelty eventually. That's fine with me, that's how life goes. But Wildmender is a complete little package with a satisfying ending point.