Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Right now I'm waiting for Potion Permit to come out. I played the demo and it seemed lovely to me. A cute game where you gather stuff and beat up monsters for ingredients to make potions, which you use to treat the ailments of people in a small town. The art style is pretty pleasant and I liked getting to know all the townsfolk. :)

Growing Up and Chinese Parents are basically the same game, though Growing Up has a lot more emphasis on the VN-like elements than Chinese Parents did. They're both pretty good fun, but get repetitive pretty quick -- I found Growing Up to be the way easier game of the two, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I'm so loving excited for Palworld.

I want Palworld to be good, but having played their previous game Craftopia my expectations are extremely low :( It's still a hollow-feeling, half-finished thing after what, 2 years of early access?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Jimlit posted:

Didn't realize it was the same devs as craftopia. that sucks....

They couldn't pull off the netcode for even halfway functioning 8 player co-op. not sure how they are going to swing an MMO.

I didn't think Palworld was supposed to be an MMO? I thought it was just another open world survival craft, but with legally-distinct-Pokemon warcrimes.

e: Are you thinking of Palia? That's the currently-in-alpha MMO that definitely fits in here.

someone awful. fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 2, 2022

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

I guess this is gonna be a life sim game, is that Disney game coming out this week getting any early reviews? The Disney dork in me was amused by the character creator being surprisingly solid but the combo of Disney and a mainly mobile game dev is making me think it's gonna be more along the 'you're out of Disney Energy, spend five bucks to get more' lines than 'it's like Animal Crossing but for the most insufferable people (me)'.

I don't think there are any reviews of Dreamlight Valley yet? Looks like it's going to be on Game Pass, so I'll probably at least try it. My expectations are basically rock-bottom though.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

The 7th Guest posted:

Dreamlight Valley

That's funny, "Disney propaganda" were pretty much my exact words after the first like 10 minutes of the game. The intro plot is extremely eyeroll-worthy: "oh no, everyone forgot about Disney stuff, and all the magic in the world died" lmao

That said, I'm finding the general gameplay loop to be enjoyable enough. The controls are a little bit floaty, at least on PC; sometimes I have to fight to aim when digging to hit the exact spot I want, or not accidentally talk to whoever's following me around. But it's satisfying to complete the story quests and little dreamlight goals. Decorating is super easy to do, I love that I can move nearly everything -- including most of the buildings, thank goodness! -- with just a few clicks and no forced waiting time. I wish Animal Crossing made designing your town as simple and convenient as this!

I also like that there's plenty of plainer clothing and it's not all over-the-top Disney garb all the time, but there's also a system to customize your clothes with decals and things that you can unlock. So if you want to make your plain black hoodie have a Pirates of the Carribbean skull on it, that's something you can do too.

I'm probably going to keep playing it for at least a little bit.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

the point I've gotten to in Dreamlight Valley, all the quests have gotten to rather grindy amounts of resources required, and I feel like crafting furniture takes far too many resources as well. I'm still having fun with it regardless, but I can see it really turning people off go the game pretty quickly once they get further in.

Either way I don't think paying $30 for the founders pass is really worth it, if it's going to be free to play later.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

CottonWolf posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on Potion Permit? Graphically it looks great, but charm is a hard thing to judge. I know it has a demo on PC, but unfortunately not on console as far as I could see.

I very much enjoyed the feel of the demo. Harvesting and mixing up medicine to treat people's illnesses felt quite nice to do (if simple), and the art style won me over. Most of the characters are pretty standoffish from the start, though, if that's something you don't like in this kind of game.

Haven't had time to dig into the full game yet, but I'm looking forward to it. :)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

FireWorksWell posted:

I think you want to get rid of the rockslide before getting upgrades, the trees and rocks give more resources back there.
Still not sure how to sell potions though

One of the villagers builds you a mailbox after you progress a bit that lets you sell potions.

I'm very much enjoying Potion Permit thus far. It's not particularly deep, but the townsfolk have cute stories, the art style and atmosphere are pleasant, and I guess I'm just finding the general gameplay loop to be extremely soothing.

Do wish the townsfolk had more daily banter, though. But I did befriend a homeless man's pet cat, and that's nice. :shobon:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i guess my only counterpoint is that i like it specifically because it's not deep. sometimes i just want to press button and heal people and chop tree, and get drip-fed a cute story. and potion permit does an excellent job of being that and nothing more.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Here it is!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

yeah, Palia is fun enough as a farm-em-up, but the cash shop prices are absurd even by cash shop standards. definitely not the game if you care about pretty princess dress-up, but the farming/gathering/home-design feels nice enough, and the characters are okay.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

anyone tried/have any thoughts about fae farm?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

so when are people going to make style savvy-likes instead of just more farm sims... even if syn sophia releases a new game after fashion forward its going to be a nintendo exculsive as always, there is nothing that scratches that itch on pc.
yeah im definitely excited for Fashion Dreamer in november, but I'm not sure it's really gonna hit the same without the clothing-store-running conceit. still gonna play the heck out of it though

i would love more good dress-up/clothing games, it's such a fun genre and so under-served

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Fashion Dreamer came out a couple days ago, and it's a hollow-feeling disappointment compared to the Style Savvy series imo. it has literally 0 story, the clothing customization is extremely lacking for a game selling itself with this as its primary feature, and the actual dress-up mechanics are lacking in nearly every way compared to Style Savvy as well :smith:

i can elaborate if anyone's curious

i don't regret buying it and i am admittedly still having fun -- if all you want out of a game is to play dressup and take goofy photos it's pretty good for that. but it's absolutely not Style Savvy Switch and don't pick it up if you're expecting or wanting that

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

SexyBlindfold posted:

drat that sucks

guess I'll just wishlist Mahou Senshi Cosplay Club instead. not really a life sim tho

wow this looks cute as hell, thanks for mentioning it

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i definitely wasnt expecting much, the lack of any story was a thing i knew going in, but i thought the clothing customization would be a bit more robust with at least emblems and patterns/textures like the one Style Savvy game they had clothing designing in. it's literally just changing the colors of things. and on clothing with pictures, all you can do is adjust the RGB of the picture to make it look like technicolor vomit. :negative: and zero clothing layering is pretty frustrating too, you can't even wear skirts/dresses over pants or shirts under corsets, stuff that has been in Style Savvy since day 1

but the bones are there, at least...

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Megazver posted:

There is a lot of devs who try to make cozy games about cooking, but cooking never actually struck me as very cozy. Like, have you read Kitchen Confidential or watched any Gordon Ramsey? That can be entertaining, but it's not *cozy*.

Cooking minigames are usually just fiddly busywork and games where you're a professional chef are usually pretty stressful.

that's being a professional chef, which is an entirely different world of hell! which is why most chef-as-a-job games are full of stress and time pressure

home cooking is chill as heck imo though, but the problem with video game cooking is it can't simulate how wonderful your house smells :(

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

what are the good raise-'em-ups? LLtQ is good if, as stated, more of a puzzle game. Princess Maker... can be a bit skeevy (especially in the older games) and has an extremely long run-time, but i still get a lot of enjoyment out of the series even so. Is Ciel Fledge any good? Volcano Princess seems super cute. I guess Chinese Parents/Growing Up kind of fall into this genre but they're also sort of a different thing; they're both okay games worth a couple playthroughs (but they're also basically the same game, so)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

how much/how important is the deck building stuff in exocolonist? i see there's an option to disable it, which makes me a lot more open to trying it. i really don't like deck building stuff in games which is the main reason i haven't tried it yet