Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cutscene-Sakuna is much better at planting rice than I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

In Sakuna, when do I get access to the 'seed sorting' mechanic? Lots of beginner tips give recommendations for it, but I still haven't seen it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Hwurmp posted:

You should have access to mud sorting from the get-go. Salt sorting unlocks once you've obtained enough salt.

How do I do it? I always seem to go harvest -> till -> plant seedlings, with no option to have input on the seedlings. I've tried bumbling around the storehouse (where the seedling trays are) in Winter, can't find a prompt.
I just brought in my third crop.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jayme posted:

You might not have enough seeds yet - I think it unlocks once you get enough seeds to need to sort them.

This is quite possible, because I am bad at rice.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Currently I fertilise every morning, and I am in a constant struggle to avoid the 'low soil nutrients' warning.
Should I start fertilising once in the morning (with all the +stat adjuncts) and once in the evening (with just nutrients)?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Plant your rice and raise water to about 20%. Visit your fields several times daily to pull weeds.

Every morning when you wake up, spread fertiliser then put a fresh pot on to brew. You fill in the 'triangle' of nutrients using Fallen Leaves / Beast Hoofs / Beast Manure and Amber. The amber is compulsory, don't try to hoard it.
If you can keep the triangle 25% filled in each direction that's good enough. Just don't let it hit zero.
Also throw random other crap into your fertiliser to boost your crop's stats.

Your rice will move from Seedling -> First Offshoots -> Second Offshoots -> Third Offshoots. As soon as it hits Third drain all the water off.

Once it moves on to Sprouting put the water back at around 20-30%. Keep fertilising every morning, at this stage it will he chewing through Kernel nutrients like a chainsaw. Also keep up the weeding.

Once it is 'ready to harvest' drain the water. Stay your sickle until Autumn starts, then reap it all. Dry it well, thresh it, then pound it all the way to white rice.

Sakuna will complain that it was a terrible crop. There's no way to get a crop she considers 'good' in the first few years.

Advanced rice growing involves a lot of micromanaging your fertiliser by getting the right things to put into it. The 'night' drops are the best way to improve your pest control / herbicide / toxicity numbers, but it'll be a fair few crops until you can get the ones you need of those.

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Dec 20, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

As far as I'm aware the main problem with RF5 is that it's just 'thinner' and less fleshed-out than RF4, so why not play RF4 instead?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

Between Exocolonist and Volcano Princess i am happy we are getting some really solid stat raising sims recently but I do want to see something that changes up the formula. Like the genre is basically about "learning" so I see why that leans towards like kids or pets, or the school settings of Magical Diary or Tokimeki Memorial, but it would be neat to see something different.

Obvious zeitgeist answer would be an AI-raising game. You work on it for five years, including using it to earn money so you can develop it further, then it escapes the lab and makes 100 trillion paperclips / destroys humanity with a robot army / explores Alpha Centauri / insert various endings here.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sakuna: Of Rice And Ruin should be considered a farming number-go-up game as well. Half of the game is a platformer, but you increase your stats for the platforming parts by growing rice. If stuff is too difficult you can always chill for a few years growing rice then go back to whatever level stymied you powered-up.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

LLSix posted:

Oops, sorry. I know that equipment can inherit stats and bonuses from other equipment, but the RF4 crafting rules are pretty byzantine and I must have forgotten the details.

There's a way to make an extremely deadly sword with nothing but some bronze and a huge pile of turnip seeds, but I forget how.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It was something about making a bunch of swords and repeatedly upgrading them to with turnip seeds (or any other trash item) to make a bunch of level 10 swords with crap stats. Then make a new sword and put a level 10 sword in every slot during the craft. The new weapon gets big stat bonuses for being made from a full register of level 10 items, even though those level 10 items were crap.
There were fine details about minimum levels in crafting skills and stuff that I cannot remember.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One of the things I forgot was that iron is the first material not bronze.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They shut down the burger racket after a bit. Graveyard Keeper is very intent on not allowing you to focus too move on a specific part of the game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Talorat posted:

I’m sorry what? I thought it was a chill life sim game.

Nah it's an edgy life-sim game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Long Live the Princess in s a non-chill Princess Maker / stat-raising game. Your major goal is just to survive.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

I kind of disagree. Long Live The Queen looks like a Princess Maker type, but it’s much more of a puzzle game. LLTQ has one path through it, and all of the choices are about trial-and-erroring the solution to this week’s crisis. PM-likes are much more about deciding what kind of person you want to raise/be, and finding your way forward through open choices.

I mean there's a lot more than one path, but yes there is a restricted number of possible paths.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

I said this in the rpg thread but i feel like the dating sim (actual ones) is going to get revitalized in a year or two. Like Volcano Princess and Teenage Exocolonist were both extremely popular, so there is groundwork laid there in general with stat raisers. Romance mechanics are in so many games now and often times the only thing people talk about with those games, but also are often consider superficial. I think the audience is really there for it now.

But with bears.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

4 is the best Rune Factory.
3 is good, but not as good. 4 continued everything that was good about 3 and added some extra nice things.
5 is OK, but a significant step down from 4 in terms of polish and density of content.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

Maybe that's not for me then after all. My anime tolerance isn't particularly high.

Might not be the series for you then. Anime levels are fairly high.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

FrickenMoron posted:

Everyone who played Rune Factory 5 wanted to marry the fox mom, sadly the devs still don't understand that.

And everyone who played 4 wanted to marry the dragon.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

uhhhhhhhh, have you not seen her human form?

No? She's a dragon.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Slumlord. You inherit a dilipidated farm apartment block, plant crops tenants, harvest collect rent a measured time later (but remember to do the watering keep up repairs). Upgrading the plot building lets you cultivate more valuable crops tenants. Explore the dangerous dungeon alleyways for crafting materials.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I'd love a Stardew style game but set, not on an alien planet, but on this one in a post-climate-trouble future where you're like, restoring the planet by farming. like Terra Nil but with a character and story and a smaller focus. Some hopeful little thing. I think 'No Place Like Home' is a bit like that but I want a 2D pixel thing like that. Should probably just learn to make a game at this point.

Best I can offer you is Wildmender.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

One thing in Wildmender that people can love or hate is that the products of your garden are all biological materials and have a shelf-life. It’s not just a matter of farming up a hundred [X]s and stopping, you need to arrange an ongoing supply of [X] so they’ll be fresh and available when you need them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is that Saad-Amus?