Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
I tried "I Was A Teenage Exocolonist" thanks to this thread - it's really, really good. I'm pretty new to life sims (trying to expand thanks to this thread's great recs!) and it really drew me in.

My only experience with these kinds of games was the old Princess Makers and lovely flash knockoffs of the early 2000's, so it's good to see good games have come of the genre!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ytlaya posted:

Sandrock is the first "life sim" game I've played and been able to get into. I've been enjoying it a ton. I'm currently in early-to-mid Autumn. Not sure how far I am in the main plot, but I've been taking my time (since I know I'll have trouble with playing after finishing the main plot, so I want to open up as many side quests and stuff as possible before I finish it).

I think the visuals make a big difference for me. Having actual high-quality 3d models for the various characters helps a lot vs them being sprites with 2d portraits. I also like the basic idea of building stuff more than farming (though you can also farm, but it seems like more of a side thing).

I've been playing with the Chinese dub and enjoying that a lot. I've never played a full game with Chinese voice-acting before, so it's been an interesting experience. Jasmine sounds extremely cute in Chinese, and there's also something inherently charming about characters like Elsie or Cooper speaking in Chinese.

One thing that's worth mentioning (someone maybe already mentioned it but can't hurt) - you can lower the game speed in the options menu. I keep it at the lowest setting of 0.6. This helps a lot, because otherwise I feel kind of rushed. It's also nice being able to increase it (up to 3 as a max, with 1 being the baseline game speed) occasionally, since I'll sometimes find myself in a situation where I've spent all my stamina but want to wait for something to finish being processed so I can turn it in before the day ends.

Does slowing down game speed slow down everything you do (like your movement and the actual running of the game), or JUST the clock?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Stardew relies a tiny bit on Harvest Moon nostalgia, which I'm VERY into and still consider it the gold standard in the genre.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Also happened to get into DQB2 lately and it's so good goddamn

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I immediately bounced off roots of pacha and it really seemed dull and flat compared to stardew.