Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

The 7th Guest posted:

they forgot story of seasons doraemon 2, and dinkum 1.0, and dreamlight valley 1.0, and roots of pacha 1.0, and

loving STOKED for roots of pacha. there's also Potion Permit but that one's apparently slated for late 2022

also, does witchbrook even have a release date? last i heard from it was ages ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I'm the kind of chump who will definitely consider ponying up the cash for a game based on looks alone, and the pixel art in Potion Permit is gorgeous, but the reviews combined with that day 1 glut of DLC are really turning me off. I kinda enjoyed the demo despite the grindiness, and I don't mind devs making some extra income by releasing some cute cosmetics on the side, but there seems to be a general consensus that the gameplay turned out pretty shallow, and I think I can make a guess at where the effort was put instead.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
A Nth cottagecore witch simulator has hit the building

Still waiting for reviews, but the visuals look pretty cute. More of a visual novel than a simulator, though.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Really wanted to try that Potionomics demo but I can't for the life of me get the resolution to unfuck itself, which means I can't even click the menu to start the game.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Last I heard of it the devs had to scale back some of its earlier planned features and delay the release date. It's a pretty small team and ever since the project was announced a lot of people have showered it with expectations of it being the "Sims-killer" so good on them for keeping their ambitions manageable.
I do like the look of that modular, scalable building system, though. Would be fun to play around with before defaulting to the same boring cubicle house I always do!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Not sure if it entirely fits the bill for a Life Sim, but Alba: A Wildlife Adventure is free on the Epic Game Store until Nov 17. It's a pretty cute game. It'd be great option for kids, I think.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 13, 2022

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Anime Store Adventure posted:

There’s also the fairly rough around the edges Common’hood that just came out that sort of fits the “caring community” vibe but it has some problems as a game certainly.

I downloaded the Common'hood demo a while ago based on its premise, put it on hold after being unable to get it to run properly, then uninstalled it after searching for a fix and learning you're eventually expected to turn the "caring community" into a crypto mining operation

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
How does Sandrock compare to Portia on that front? Both have been sitting on my wishlist for a while and I'm not sure if I should go for cheaper or newer

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I wasn't a huge fan of the expeditions or the card games in Exocolonist, but it otherwise was very much what I wanted from a stat-raising / "growing up" sim, and even seemed to nail a really good balance in the "choices matter"-ism of it all, where there's a number of anchor points in the plot to keep the amount of writing manageable, but there's still a lot of different routes that don't just feel like slight variations of each other.
A lot of it felt like a better version of the kind of game I had in mind when I tried Long Live The Queen, except you fail a death flag and get somebody killed once per season instead of once per day.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Spent some hours trying out the demo for The Palace on the Hill, looking rather nice.
The vibe's a bit different from your average life sim - it's got a hand-drawn art style and the setting is more realistic. You're not gathering herbs, learning craft recipes and doing fetch quest because you're living your cottagecore dream life, but because the last harvest was bad and you gotta get on that grindset if you want to help your dad keep the farm (seriously side-eyeing that loan-shark guy because of what he might get up to in the full version, even if in the demo he just sits there ominously). My initial impression when exploring the village and getting some quests was "drat, they're really running this poor kid ragged", but the game hits a good balance between feeling you're doing your best to support your family while also retaining a fairly relaxed atmosphere. The larger story involves exploring some of the ruins around the village and learning from them, maybe using them as inspiration for your dream of becoming a painter.

Not sure if the demo caps out after a few days or after you've reached a checkpoint in the story, but it does a good job of giving you a taste of the stuff you'll have available while keeping the fancier options tantalizingly out of reach (LET ME BREW THE loving LIME TEA :argh:).

It's a rookie 2-dev team so the game does have some jank - the mobility and interface menus can get troublesome at times, the writing's pretty basic and some of the translations are incomplete, but overall I ended up interested in what the final product will look like.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Has Roots of Pacha been pulled from Steam? Even the official link from their page doesn't work. https://rootsofpacha.com/ Also, what was the name of the sinister fishing game everybody was raving about last month?

Legal trouble between devs and publishers, it seems.

https://twitter.com/rootsofpacha/status/1657485686466039809?s=20

The very normal and not scary fishing game is "Dredge".

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I played Littlewood for a good while until I exhausted almost everything it had to offer, then I realized I ran out of excuses to delay deciding which romantic interest I'd raised to their final heart event I wanted to marry. So I stopped playing!!

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Anyone tried Wylde Flowers, Coral Island and/or Cozy Grove? I know WF's got a demo out, but :effort:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

RoboCicero posted:

I love that "Master a unique NPK compost system" is part of their steam store description.

Oh poo poo, games muscling into Vintage Story's turf?

Sachant posted:

New Nivalis trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cj2o6XJC7sY

Really can't wait for this one.

Really liking Nivalis's concept but the mismatch between the amazing voxel environment and the cookie-cutter asset store models throws me off

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Sep 22, 2023

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
drat that sucks

guess I'll just wishlist Mahou Senshi Cosplay Club instead. not really a life sim tho

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
well the romanceable characters are way hotter for one (hotter overall, none of them is hotter than Krobus)

i think the general consensus before the official release was that the game looked great but some of the mechanics felt underbaked, not sure how things have improved since then but i'm definitely interested to hear about anyone's experience

e: if you mean gameplay-wise, it seems to have all the hallmarks of a stardew-like, with a slightly greater focus on plot (your standard "let's save the island from predatory capitalism") and fewer fantasy elements (if you don't count the hot merpeople)

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 15, 2023

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
There's an event for 'cozy' games on Steam right now, some of which are life sims. Mostly stuff that's already been covered in the thread, but I did find a couple of demos to check out later. There's Research Story, a bite-sized life sim in the vein of Littlewood, and Echoes of the Plum Grove, an Americana-flavored, Paper Mario-looking mfer with a generational system.

There's also Pizza Possum, which might not technically be a life sim but it certainly simulates the kind of life I'd like to live.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
From a page ago but I gave the Little Goody Two Shoes demo a try and it's extremely good, full game def going to a priority spot on my wishlist. I'd say that genre-wise it's a bit closer to an adventure game than a life sim (much more plot-oriented, maybe in the vein of something like Teenage Exocolonist) but it still has all the staples of the genre to keep you busy, with minigames, sidegigs, romance candidates, farming and so on.
My only issues with it so far are
1. like a lot of games with similar control schemes, you get a lot of phantom interaction prompts when you're in the vicinity of a thing but not looking the right way
2. don't schedule dates with different cute girls at the same time of the day Elise you moron :argh:

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
yeah i didn't get super far in kerbal but i put a thing in orbit by doing little more than eyeballing stuff and checking the guides/tutorials. and killing a couple of kerbos here and there but that's a given

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Mail Time is the cutest doggone thing I've ever seen but it does seem to be pretty short, so getting it in a bundle like this would be the optimal bang for your buck.

Just tried the Wylde Flowers demo and was quick to wishlist it, so that's a nice bonus.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
what's this insane poo poo about asking people what they like? why not use a crystal ball to spy on their heart's innermost desire like a normal person, as Wylde Flowers does? (their heart's innermost desire is usually pizza)

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!

Soonmot posted:

I just started playing Wylde Flowers and I really dig it, but what the gently caress is up with the economy in that game. I made some juice, went to sell it and it sells for less than the component ingredients! Went on the wiki and it looks like that's a common thing across all recipes.

Yeah the economy in Wylde Flowers is a bit weird, though it varies depending on the item. I think it's fish sticks that are so overpriced (because their price apparently accounts for an average fish cost, but some fish types fit for cooking are insanely cheap and you can either buy or fish them in bulk), that instead of changing the price they patched in a "fish stick embargo" option in the difficulty settings. It does have some cool features, like off-season crops fetching a higher price, and a dress shop in the later game that'll periodically get orders for specific dresses so you can craft them at a huge profit.

Overall I really enjoyed WF, though it seems the current state of the game is meant to last for about two in-game years and I'm nearing that point (this is longer in playtime than most games of the genre, since for witchy reasons the seasons only turn as you progress the main quest). The central storyline takes about a year, and year two adds some smaller plot threads and new mechanics to keep you busy.

A highlight of the game is the voice acting and casual chats with the townies - if I wasn't a sicko that tries to chat with every single character almost every day, I feel I could have gone an entire year without getting a single repeated line. And it actually feels like small-town small-chat, too, since it'll usually be reactive to the current main quest, or they'll be gossiping about their neighbors, complaining about work or whatever. It works a lot better than "BOY, I SURE LOVE [SEASON] AND [FAVORITE GIFT]" in making the town feel lived-in.

I do have a long list of gripes with the game, but I'd say the main one is that the roster of romance candidates is pretty lackluster. I ended up marrying Kim because they're a catch, even though they probably stink of bleach and guts and they always react to my gifts with "wow thanks! my dad cooks it better though". Everyone else kinda sucks rear end, though? You have two manchildren, one not-scientologist, one woman who keeps bringing up her ex, one "my taste in hot beverages is my entire personality" bri'ish woman, and a lovely werewolf. I do appreciate that there's plenty of heart events for non-romanceable characters too, and they do a good job of fleshing them out, to the point that I wish some of them were romanceable instead.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
Potionomics isn't much of a life sim, but it's nice. I loved the character animations so much that it actually took me a hot minute to remember the game had no voice acting, since I just remembered the dialogue scenes carrying so much personality. The difficulty curve might seem steep if you're new to store management games, but if you can spot which price modifiers to exploit it should be a breeze.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I enjoyed Wylde Flowers quite a bit but yeah the romance roster is pretty lackluster. So far it's got:

- 2 manchildren
- Scientologist
- Tea is my entire personality
- A woman who has almost the exact same name, job, nationality and favorite food as my mom. Why would the devs want me to date my mom?????
- Werewolf who spies on you
- town butcher (smells of guts probably)

i went with town butcher (smells of guts probably) because they're actually pretty cute but yeah those are some slim pickings. even worse, some of the non-romanceable characters would have been great options, and the friendship events you get with them feel a lot more fleshed out than what you get with some of the bachelor/ettes. The snooty harpy woman, the widowed cafe owner or even your grumpy neighbor would have been better options than loving Dianetics Sunday School Teacher. I do think the latest update added a new character, but I don't know if she's romanceable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
in other news, the Gollum game might have forever tainted the name of any licensed LOTR release, but against all reason i still dare to dream of this one being good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAQQVGwzrj0