Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mikemil828
May 15, 2008

A man who has said too much

The 7th Guest posted:

alright, so here's my first impressions of Dreamlight Valley after playing it for an hour:

the premise of the game, that people have somehow forgotten Disney characters, would be loving hilarious from a megacorporation, if it didn't feel like a propaganda prelude to a future attempt at extending copyright protections to an even more insane length than already is on the books. Steamboat Willie enters the public domain on Jan 1st 2024, this game will hit 1.0 in 2023, it's hard not to cynically view the timing as more than just convenient. i already despise how long copyright terms are, the thought of Disney possibly getting away with extending them further is nauseating to me

After playing the game I am not sure how Dreamlight Valley has anything to do with copyright law or how it even matters (even when Steamboat Willie enters the public domain, folks who would want to use the mouse are going to have a hell of a time not running afoul of trademark law)

Anyway the premise isn’t that people have forgotten Disney characters (indeed the game doesn’t really bother introducing anyone because it assumes you already know who all these characters are), it’s that you the player have forgotten your childhood dreams with these characters, because you are a burnt out, jaded adult

If you like Animal Crossing, Dreamlight Valley scratches the same itch, except instead of random animals with one of a few preset personalities, you get Disney characters.

It is early access so expect bugs and crashes. Instead of paying 30 bucks to play an somewhat polished alpha version of the game, if you are interested go with game pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU