Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

FrickenMoron posted:

I refunded Coral Island 20 minutes after I noticed the slow walk speed combined with how spread out the entire town was. Also the fixed camera perspective just doesn't work with 3d imo. The animations etc felt really half baked too.
Edit: I usually play these games for the combination of farming/upgrade/improvement aspects and the social side is equally as important to me, which is why a lot of these just don't click with me. My time at Sandrock was the best game in the genre I played in 2023, Roots of Pacha was just... okay.

You unlock fast travel relatively quickly. I didn't mind the movement speed or spread out town at all once I unlocked points to travel to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AARD VARKMAN posted:

For once I tried giving gifts instead of looking it up when I was playing Coral Island.

The second person I handed a flower to (universally liked or at least neutral, surely?) specifically HATES violets! gently caress it back to the wiki

Actually tons of them just hate violets specifically. I forget where I saw it in the game, but something in the game did mention this re: violets. I could not figure out why violets specifically were considered a poo poo flower.

LLSix posted:

They are very much not necessarily their favorite gifts.

The special requests are often not even liked gifts except when they're making that specific request. Similarly, many of Sandrock's quests will lie to you and tell you that an NPC likes, for example, fish, when they don't care one way or the other about fish outside that specific quest.

These MOSTLY made sense for me, but a big weird outlier was that they don't seem to have properly coded Fang to be a vegetarian. They have him liking spicy food in general, some of his favs even have meat in the name. And he'll still want a meat dish often at the Blue Moon. He's very very clear about being a vegetarian, even if he will use animal products in medicine specifically to help people out.

sim posted:

Coral Island does the same thing, but yeah, the whole system needs an overhaul. There's too many items. No one wants to try each item with each character. Like, that should just be part of the each character's bio: "Rachel likes muffins, coffee, and pink flowers." Or make the NPCs say what they want. Or have a gift action that opens the inventory and shows which items the NPC likes. Or when you give them an item they dislike, have them suggest something better. Like there's a bunch of different options that don't involve blindly giving one of hundreds of items to each character, one at a time, hoping it's not a reject.

This gets extra confusing when, I THINK, it deals in genres of object. Sometimes. So you see that someone likes a daffodil, that means they actually like all gatherable flowers except violets. But it just shows the daffodil. And the violet is a weird outlier that's hard to figure out. Does someone like a specific item or a genre that item is in? Dunno, gotta try more!

I just look at a drat guide. Nothing quite shows what someone likes well enough for me. Sandrock got it closest, but there's people and critters you can't hang with, so that's a big flaw.

Oh, though I do remember one that confused me: You're told Elsie likes fishing, but actually it means she likes receiving fishing gear, not fish. And sometimes they'll say they like old world artifacts, but actually their favs are very specific ones and not just all of them. It's hard to just have that work out in dialog, I guess. Sandrock still did get it closest.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 18, 2024

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
You're a jerk, whoever suggested DQB2. The characters are hideous and it doesn't have the character stuff I loved from other games and the controls kinda clunk in my hands, so I wasn't gonna get sucked into it if I tried the demo, right? WELL here I am, ten hours later...

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Log082 posted:

I really enjoyed Coral Island (though it's definitely true that's its not finished yet despite nominally being 1.0 and that it takes a lot from Stardew) but the thread as a whole isn't a fan. Individual opinions will definitely vary.

I'm just conflicted on that one, even though I'd tell anyone to wait on it, because it's just not done and says it's 1.0. I played it and enjoyed it until I ran into a wall of unfinished content that I had already waited for 1.0 to avoid hitting.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Smaller??

Also, I just didn't really feel like I knew many people in Portia. Even if I got my friendship to max, it seemed like I hardly talked to most of them, and I absolutely got all the brothers mixed up in one same-shape mass. And I swear some of their arcs just... didn't. The one guy kept talking about joining the Flying Pigs and how his test was coming up, and that went absolutely nowhere and never happened.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 9, 2024

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

Yeah, that was a disappointment.

Different reactions to the same inputs I think.

The design team learned their lessons from Portia. They scaled back and have hardly any dangling plot threads like that. But the characters, with a few notable exceptions, have less going on and so feel less like people to me. In Portia I went out of my way to duel Arlo and the other civil corps members every day. Not because I got much out of it, but because it helped them level. It doesn’t feel worthwhile in Sandrock. In Portia, you got to build a bunch of farm improvements for Emily and her grandma. Zeke is cool, but he’s hidden off in his own zone way the heck far away so the ways you help him don’t feel as impactful. Portia felt like it had all sorts of weird nooks and crannies to go poke around in and improve. It was easy to just miss stuff. Sandrock is a much tighter, more streamlined experience.

I like some narrative in my farming games, but I also want to be able to just go do my own thing sometimes.

DID it help them level? Or did they just kinda level with you since they ended up in combat situations you were also in?

I only ever fought the red-headed girl whose name I can't even remember (which fights her brother and butler instead) because she was hard to befriend. I really hated combat in that game, so I avoided it like the plague where I could.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 10, 2024

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Also saying everyone has less going on and feels less like people is kinda wild to me. I can't even think of most of their names and I have definitely forgotten a bunch of them existed. Some of the moms just merge together in a void and most of the kids definitely do. Some people in Portia had absolutely nothing going on whatsoever. Some of them were super hard to befriend because they just weren't involved in poo poo and you barely talked to them. I felt like some of them, I'd meet them, learn their name and something about them, and that was absolutely it. I would love to have... I dunno, interacted with them at all more.

The Emily farm improvements were alright I guess? But I didn't get anything out of that I didn't get out of things like putting a bridge over the oasis lategame, fixing the windmill, adding benches to the town, fixing the lift, etc.

I guess I'm surprised how different the exact same things hit me.

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 10, 2024

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zesty posted:

I’m surprised people would even try Sandrock after not caring for Portia.

Technically I played Sandrock and wanted more so much that I then got Portia on sale. It wasn't easy, missing a ton of stuff Sandrock improved on, but I enjoyed it enough to fully finish it anyway. And I knew everyone said Sandrock improved on it all around, so I was prepared for an awkward time.

I definitely like Sandrock better, though.

LLSix posted:

It did. The impact was really obvious for low level characters. A lot of the NPCs start around level 8 and it was pretty easy to boost them up to 15 or so in time for the martial arts tournament. It’s one of the reasons guides couldn’t just tell you who would win each matchup - NPC levels changed each game based on what the player was doing enough that there was no way to reliably tell who would win duels.

I guess that's neat, but I still would rather do anything than fight in that game. Something about it felt very bad to me. Never quite felt like I had a handle on it.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

I kind of want that now.

I especially want the explanation for why, presumably carnivorous, werewolves are farming.

Vegetables feed animals, which are also on farms. You just have an intermediate step for your meal!

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
There can be a mechanic re: how you feed your livestock changes how good they are to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Now I wanna play that. Feeding my sheep right to make myself swole to fight in the mines