Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I refunded Coral Island 20 minutes after I noticed the slow walk speed combined with how spread out the entire town was. Also the fixed camera perspective just doesn't work with 3d imo. The animations etc felt really half baked too.
Edit: I usually play these games for the combination of farming/upgrade/improvement aspects and the social side is equally as important to me, which is why a lot of these just don't click with me. My time at Sandrock was the best game in the genre I played in 2023, Roots of Pacha was just... okay.

FrickenMoron fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jan 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Countblanc posted:

I actually bounced pretty hard off Sandrock for a reason I haven't seen anyone else bring up, the absolute deluge of poo poo you have no context for the second you open a shop menu. I really don't like when I talk to a store npc and am offered like 30-40 things before the game has even taught me basic mechanics, especially when I have an extremely limited selection of things I can craft so it's just regents I can't use and I have to menu search for the items I can actually use. I'm sure this is something people love since it gives you glimpses of the future and lets you choose what to build towards first but for me it just feels overwhelming while I'm still trying to internalize the map, NPCs, mechanics, etc.

I pray you never have to go grocery shopping IRL.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
My favorite thing I learned about Rune Factory 4 recently is that your child has dialog lines for every single story dungeon, even the first one that is almost impossible to do because the requirements for marriage are story progression for pretty much everyone except Vishnal.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Jack Trades posted:

Is Slay the Princess a princess maker game?

No, its a straight up visual novel.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Graveyard keeper is the worst kind of trash grinder game where you grind for the sake of grinding without it ever having a payoff. All you do is unlock more grinding and it even sometimes takes your poo poo away without warning you beforehand.
Stay far away imo.

DQ Builders 2 is a fantastic game though.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you don't like the design of a character, don't marry them. I always felt like Amber/Kiel in RF4 might be for the younger players, you gotta remember its not always people in their 30s who play these games.

Roots of Pacha has some big issues, the main problem I had was that large scale farming was absolutely unsustainable stamina wise until you get irrigation very late in the game. The characters are also super flat personality wise.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Also in Roots of Pacha if you have a child it will randomly start to cry / get hungry several times a day and its up to YOU to fix it regardless of where you are! While your deadbeat spouse is near your home all day doing nothing.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Sandrock just blows Portia out of the water. It's still a bit janky but the overall quality is massively improved in every regard.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I didn't really care for Portia, the jank was overwhelming and it felt like work I put into the game didn't really pay off. I followed Sandrock closely from the early access and jumped in about 4 months or so before release. Liked the game so much that I joined the developers discord and signed up for the beta testing version. They put everyone who signed up into the game's credits which is super nice. Never thought I'd be in a games credits.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Everyone who played Rune Factory 5 wanted to marry the fox mom, sadly the devs still don't understand that.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Snooze Cruise posted:

Honestly its a hate crime to lesbians that every game doesn't have one woman that is coded older than me and is a unmitigated disaster >:(

Not quite a farming game but if you like lesbian girlfailures please play Little Goody Two Shoes.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
He doesn't know...

In any case; I think Stardew is so widely beloved because it's very easy to understand/accessible? It doesn't have a lot of depth in most areas but that's what makes it easy to play. Also the Art style is just universal enough to not put off people, EG anime tax for Rune factory games. Sound design is great and the bgm is catchy.
I personally don't like it too much either because everything in the game is just too slow and a lot of the animations are clunky and so is the crafting menu. But the average player doesn't care about that.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The palette is definitely a bit too bright/cheery for that kind of city vibe.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've been slowly grinding through wildmender, sadly it's plagued by some terrible UI/control choices and just very grindy overall. It probably has one of the worst building systems I've seen where every time you want to lay down a wall foundation or path you have to wait several seconds for the thing to be built before moving on. Also the interact/pick up items from the ground key are the same so you'll constantly interact with plants while trying to pick up seed etc. Shaping and re-greening the landscape is still satisfying though.

At night it also makes my gpu go to 100% because of all the transparency effects on dead trees etc that apparently are super costly to render.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Sun haven will give you RSI from spamming the space bar.

They make you walk abysmally slow and then immediately give you a dash move that you need to spam to get anywhere. Also your watering can upgrades only increase capacity not area or speed .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Portia is just really, really bad compared to Sandrock.