Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

There’s also the fairly rough around the edges Common’hood that just came out that sort of fits the “caring community” vibe but it has some problems as a game certainly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

I downloaded the Common'hood demo a while ago based on its premise, put it on hold after being unable to get it to run properly, then uninstalled it after searching for a fix and learning you're eventually expected to turn the "caring community" into a crypto mining operation

Actual lol, I had no idea.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Hey Portia came up again in the Management games thread and it made me wonder - how is Sandrock?

I didn’t click with Portia until I did- but it was right before Sandrock and I felt sort of motivated to wait to really sink into the sequel.

Is that smart? Do I care about plot at all - enough to want to play the first one? Is Sandrock decent yet?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

I think that's canonically PTSD from WW2

lmao

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

It looks neat, I hope it still has “meat” to it though. I think a lot of games meat is simply difficulty, but I want something like that to satisfy my desires for building something successful/creative/neat without it just being a sort of “plop anywhere and watch.” Still give me some depth even if you aren’t pressuring me to absolutely need to use it perfectly - if that makes sense.

I say this because a lot of casual games that I should like I bounce off of because they’re simply creative mode “painters” and I don’t think casual/no pressure has to mean that. I mean shoot, Animal Crossing is a perfect example of very casual with a ton to do in it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Moonglow Bay is a fishing game I really enjoyed but it kind of feels like a single playthrough. It’s not super short but not crazy long either. Apparently it is plagued by bugs on PC that are not well attended to - my experience was lucky in that it was bug free.

It seemed, honestly, pretty easy if you’re tolerant of the cooking mini games (QTE style things) and it was super charming to me. I’d love if someone took its legs and made it slightly more, I dunno. Creative/managey/in depth instead of mostly a story and some wacky/fantasy (if really cool and arty, though) settings.

It definitely flew under the radar but I’d recommend it honestly.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Love to pay the Disney micro transactions when they’re targeted at adults. Love Donald Duck animations.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I eyed it, I’ve had it on my wishlist. I dunno. “Generic” isn’t how I’d describe it but I’m definitely waiting to hear more before I jump.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Back to “homesteading but with survival,” it’s much more of a management game being a Rimworld-alike but that mix screams Clanfolk to me. It’s definitely only for specific folks, but it does hit both homestead and survival expertly.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Maybe it’s a case of the last 20% costing some insane amount of time and effort, but it’s bizarre to me that so many Playway published games are just… so close, but not there. It feels like 90% of their published games could be my absolute favorites but they always just stop short. Maybe it’s just the economics and kids are entertained by what they deliver versus weird grogs like me.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Curious about Pacha too but I was turned off by multiple reviews saying “it’s very Stardew but doesn’t feel as good as Stardew.” I feel like it might not bring enough for me that it wouldn’t leave me with “I’ll just go play that.”

I’d love to be wrong if anyone really likes it though.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Obenseuer rules and while I had originally thought it was going to have a new major content patch by now, it’s at least a solid half of a game on its own. I wish I was at my desktop so I could take some pictures of my downright comfy slum apartment. It’s a neat game in a neat world (also occupied by the fantastic puzzle/exploration game INFRA) and worth a look if the idea of renovating an apartment block and decorating your own space appeals to you.

That said, it is very explicitly a walled ghetto for the city’s undesirables. While nothing in it is an absolutel gut punch emotionally, it certainly isn’t Stardew in terms of upbeat comfiness.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Wildmender is in that weird category of disappointing to me because I actually like it a lot - but it’s just not *quite* there. I want a little bit more robust of a build and terraforming system so I can really lean into it, and the rest of the game just always feels like it needs just a tiny bit more meat. It’s a crusher.

I haven’t seen if they’ve done any major work to it since launch when I played it, though. Maybe worth a second look though.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Obenseuer rules and while I had originally thought it was going to have a new major content patch by now, it’s at least a solid half of a game on its own. I wish I was at my desktop so I could take some pictures of my downright comfy slum apartment. It’s a neat game in a neat world (also occupied by the fantastic puzzle/exploration game INFRA) and worth a look if the idea of renovating an apartment block and decorating your own space appeals to you.

That said, it is very explicitly a walled ghetto for the city’s undesirables. While nothing in it is an absolutel gut punch emotionally, it certainly isn’t Stardew in terms of upbeat comfiness.

Obenseuer *did* just get a patch, but it is not quite the 'major' patch I hoped. I'm sort of hoping that it'll be a dripfeed of new content (since I've blown through pretty much every corner of the existing game.)

Mostly I came back because I wanted to share pictures of my current apartment and workshop. For those that haven't played, everything here is placed with the exception of ceiling lights/switches, curtains, and the heaters. Those all come from different levels of wall upgrade. The rest is all placed and customizable.

My living room. The big screen TV is hard to fit in this tiny apartment and have seats far enough back! I actually blocked a bit of the entrance off which is actually shelves facing the other way with lots of tchotchkes stacked on it. I'm not sure if its my favorite, but its cute. I should have gotten a picture of it from the front.

My kitchen. I am still sort of organizing and rearranging, I want to make the pantry shelves look a little nicer and I think overall I can organize it better. The meat grinder, coffee pot, dishwasher, microwave, and oven/range all have recipes you can actively use. There's not a *ton* of point for a lot of it since you can basically survive off of candy bars, beer, and bread from the convenience store - but I guess this game mirrors real life in that way. Don't you prefer a homecooked meal? (And by that I mean cooking 30 sandwiches at a time and freezing them.)

The bedroom. I love the Grandma's House style wallpaper. Needs more bits of crap on the shelves, but I lined up all my trade union flags. (You get these from getting to the max level of the various skills in-game.)

The spare room/office. Sadly the laptop doesn't do anything yet, but they did tease a picture of a computer with a browser open on it, so maybe down the line. I have some fish in a tank behind me but I didn't think they warranted their own picture. You can raise and slaughter them for food! (But currently their recipe gives you max food and you'll immediately poo poo your pants upon eating one.)

Where the magic happens! This is my workshop. It looks shabby to me now that I've upgraded the basement to be much nicer. The makeshift tarp walls just end up blocking lights and I think I want to reorganize it a little now that I've expanded it as well. Notice my organized totes of storage on the shelves to the right! I'm proud of that. Wish I could label the totes.

Brewing and distilling! I don't have anything going right now because my basement was just under construction for a week.

My currently dormant growboxes. I have a rooftop greenhouse now and as mentioned just lost access to the basement for a bit so its all empty/turned off, but its a neat set up for growing tons of sugar beets for Kilju, or making turnip wine.

The chemistry station, where I can do junk with the weird mushrooms and extract yeast from mash to be fully self-sufficient in homebrewing.

So yeah! I didn't think the game presented the customization/decoration piece well enough, so I wanted to show mine off. It still wants for more of everything: Decorations, furniture, customizations like different wallpapers, flooring, etc, but there's still a lot of fun to be had if you're like me and enjoy decorating a space. I haven't even started working on my front and back enclosed porch/'bonus' rooms in my apartment. Mind you this is pretty deep into upgrading on an extremely long save- your place will be much much shabbier for a very long time, but there's a lot of 'charm' in those stages too.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

The current playtesting patch just added maybe an hour or so of the next bits along the 'main' story and dropped a few super cool breadcrumbs for the way the 'plot' is going and it makes me hope they can finish it. Like INFRA, the game just has impeccable vibes.

e: You know, on top of making GBS threads your pants and then making psychedelic mushroom poo poo kilju, if you want, I guess.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 24, 2024

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Does the thread have an opinion on Clanfolk? I seem to recall that people disliked Traveler's Rest.

I didn’t hate Traveller’s Rest but I couldn’t honestly give it a recc. It’s just kind of crappy - doesn’t feel like it’s quite there.

I like Clanfolk a lot. The weird mishmash I’d describe it as is Rimworld meets Vintage Story - it’s Rimworld in that you manage a colony, but it’s vintage story in that survival is several steps to get anything that’s not very primitive, and the game is sort of a loop of becoming more productive and easier to survive. It looks like the end goal will be making a successful village/inn/whatever, but I put it down before I explored that and I know a lot of that still needs time in the oven.

I didn’t feel like it was too early to enjoy, but it’s definitely not a complete experience, so I would judge it based on your own tolerance to that.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I really need to give Sandrock a go, I’ve hesitated forever because “Portia but better” didn’t grab me - because Portia didn’t. It does seem like it’s closer to “Portia but WAY better” which might be enough to enjoy it.

I really like any game that has “map based” progression like building bridges and things and of course love crafting junk, but could never get Portia to stick.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Just out of curiosity, what were you using to scratch this itch before?

Honestly? One of the better games that’s hit it for me is Snowrunner, lol. It has a progression on a lot of maps that’s “use a circuitous route until you rebuild the bridge.” Not many games lean on it heavily - but I can get some of the itch from just general creative builders, which is maybe cheating to say “map as progress” but if I pave a path in Vintage story and make a foot bridge to a mine, it counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

I don't know if this is the right thread for this type of game (it seemed the closest!) but I'm looking for games sort of along the lines of PC Building Simulator. I don't care so much about the hyper-realistic aspect of that kind of sim, I'm not attached to a game where you actually wander around a little shop in first person or handle 3D modeled versions of realistic components, I mostly enjoy games like that where you can kill a lot of time building, troubleshooting, refining a process, making money and getting better tools, etc. and rinse and repeat.

Any standouts for that kind of thing? I remember there being a couple of car mechanic simulator type games that looked like they might be in the same wheelhouse.

Also I feel like Powerwash Simulator sort of scratched an adjacent itch for me, but I kind of hit a point where I just... forgot I was playing it, lol.

Landlord’s Super, maybe? It’s not so much “troubleshooting” but it has a nice vibe of slowly building and you get new tools and things. It feels like it’s only about 80% of what it could be and is done being developed - but that isn’t to say it isn’t an experience that, if you enjoy it, you can’t get a hundred hours out of (if you go really nuts.)

It’s a game with great vibes.

I’d also second My Summer Car if you really enjoy the tinker and troubleshooting part. Mon Bazou is My Summer Car Lite if you find MSC is too crunchy for you.