Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Played through Growing Up and found it to be really disappointing. The writing is extremely flat and consists of nothing but cliches that you would see in any generic teenage sitcom. The gameplay is also not great, if you have a little think then it's not difficult to figure out how to snowball your stat gains into the stratosphere and there's literally never a point where you have to make meaningful choices that affect gameplay.

I also played through I Was A Teenage Exocolonist, like 4 times already, and that one is absolutely fantastic, both in it's writing and gameplay. Highly recommend.
I swear I was not crying after my first playthrough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

HopperUK posted:

tell us the words

"Perkele" is one of them, I imagine.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm so loving excited for Palworld.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I just want to do some extreme warcrimes.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Now save Tammy and overthrow the fash.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

smh @ the dog supremacists itt

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I Was A Teenage Exocolonist is extremely good and it also made me realize that all of my favorite media has large amounts of misery in it, which probably says something about me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

CottonWolf posted:

nth-ing that I was a Teenage Exocolonist was great. I’m holding off on replying it though, I’m not sure I’m up for another run right away.

Don't you want to save Tammy?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Megazver posted:

who's ur waifu/husbando

The Walrus is the correct answer.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I Was A Teenage Exocolonist is really good.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I am really really enjoying Against The Storm. Don't be put off by EA if you're on the fence; it's not at all janky, I've never had a crash, the visuals are polished, and the campaign is really long and interesting.

How much metaprogression is there?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Against the Storm is pretty cool.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'm enjoying My Time An Portia right now.

I avoided it for the longest time because it looked like a farm sim and I played enough of Stardew Valley already, but no, turns out it is actually a "handyman sim" or whatever you want to call it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Okay, I was not expecting this game to have a quest that makes the player participate in prostitution.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Talorat posted:

Wait what? I don't remember this at all

I'm slightly exaggerating for effect but there's a quest where the journalist want you to get a camera and the only person with the camera is the researcher and the researcher wants you to go on an explicitly romantic date and make them happy before they give you the camera.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jan 11, 2023

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is that the series with extremely questionable "romance" options or am I confusing it with a different Japanese farm sim?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Talorat posted:

So many stardew clones are so much more tedious and grindy, I’m not sure why it’s such a common thing.

Because they how to compensate for lack of 10 years of content somehow.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I liked Portia a lot but not quite enough to finish it.
My biggest problem with it is that all the characters need at least 10 times more writing done for them to not constantly repeat lines.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Disney needs your money. You wouldn't want Elsa and Donald to starve to death do you?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I loved Spiritfarer up until my most-hated narrative technique:
It was all a hallucination.

It also gets very grindy in the late game.

I only seen one game that has managed to make that twist work in a narratively satisfying way and that game had the most well executed mystery plot I have ever seen.

Anyone with weaker writing talent than that so should really not be doing that kind of twist.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Phigs posted:

Can you name the game in spoilers?

Do I want to do that though? I'd like for more people to know about it but I also don't want to ruin the game for those people.

I guess the actual ending twist is different enough that it will still keep people guessing.
The game is 13 Sentinels.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2111170/STORY_OF_SEASONS_A_Wonderful_Life/

Are these games any good?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Graveyard Keeper is fun but I can't find a way to stop it from constantly dropping down to 40 fps. It's borderline unplayable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The "it was all a dream" is a really lovely way to do an ending and I've only ever seen one single absolutely exceptional game do it well, and even then it did it by not really doing it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FireWorksWell posted:

Which game was this?

13 Sentinels
The game is a loving masterpiece. It's visuals and presentation are fairly deceiving.
It's easily the best sci-fi story I have ever experienced.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

A Sometimes Food posted:

I think (obviously big spoilers) Prey 2017 did a good job at it too. Cause like everything mostly still happened and it fit the games themes and they built towards it.

Oh yeah, now that you mention it. That game did it well too.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I liked Portia and I'm looking forward to trying Sandrock once it comes out.
My biggest problem with Portia was the fact that all the characters needed like 10 times the writing done for them because they get very repetitive very fast. Hopefully Sandrock addressed that.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

10tons should just make Crimsonland 2.

Although considering that Crimsonland is older than most games, it would probably be called "the Dark Souls of Vampire Survivor games" by the public.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sandrock seems very good. I already liked Portia quite a bit, despite not being a huge fan of the genre but Sandrock improved a lot of Portia's weak spots.

The facial hair options are laughable though. At least give me an option for stubble or something.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

My Time At Sandrock having wormhole inventory on absolutely everything is such a great quality of life feature.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wooooow...Sandrock just decided to gently caress me raw.
The combat dungeons have this machine at the beginning of every floor that you use and it gives you a small buff for the rest of the dungeon.
Apparently one of the "buffs" it can give you is an absolutely miniscule Lifesteal bonus to your attacks but it also damages you for 1% of your HP every second.

Literally none of the enemies in the dungeon were capable of doing that much damage to me even if I just stood there and face tanked them, and none of the other buffs from that machine that I've seen had any maluses.
The game just randomly decided "nah, you die now, fucker."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Dirk the Average posted:

I've gotten one with a -30% movespeed debuff. So I rerolled it. -30% movespeed debuff. Rerolled again. Still a loving -30% movespeed debuff. Sure, there were attack bonuses, and it's not like time progresses, but still, that was irritating. At this point I don't bother with the random buffs.

Wait, you can reroll them? I didn't think to try.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sandrock also does something unique I don't remember seeing in any other game.

There are a couple of characters that take the initiative in asking you to be their SO.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

When I played Portia my thoughts were "This is pretty good. I like the focus on improving the village you live in rather than just farming, a lot. I just wish all the characters had 20 times more writing so they wouldn't just repeat their lines constantly." and I was NOT expecting them to actually do it in the sequel.
It's really loving good and I'm not even that into this genre.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Megazver posted:

I Was a Teenage Exocolonist kinda, I guess?

It's nothing like it. It's more of a...Princess Maker game?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I actually bounced pretty hard off Sandrock for a reason I haven't seen anyone else bring up, the absolute deluge of poo poo you have no context for the second you open a shop menu. I really don't like when I talk to a store npc and am offered like 30-40 things before the game has even taught me basic mechanics, especially when I have an extremely limited selection of things I can craft so it's just regents I can't use and I have to menu search for the items I can actually use. I'm sure this is something people love since it gives you glimpses of the future and lets you choose what to build towards first but for me it just feels overwhelming while I'm still trying to internalize the map, NPCs, mechanics, etc.

Just...don't buy anything until you need it?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Fun Times! posted:

I'm about 60 hours in (no end in sight yet) and I found it interesting that there haven't been any "upgrade the shops" quests or quests that result in the shops expanding their inventories (though there are quests related to how the shops are run, they don't result in upgrades). The Commerce Guild store is the only shop that adds additional recipes for purchase as the main story progresses. The questline involving the Game Center was fun and I wish there were quests like that for the other shops.

But the game is really good and you should give it another shot! Any game this large can seem overwhelming if you imagine the entire thing all at once from the start.

Some shops add new stock as you progress through the story. For example once you get access to Iron, shops that sell ore/weapons will have iron-related goods, or once you get access to plastics, the clothing store will start selling stuff made out of plastics.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

buglord posted:

Man. Even though Sandrock is mechanically more enjoyable than Stardew, the charm factor is lacking. Not entirely sure if it’s because the pixel art of the latter allows imagination to come into play more. That, and since nothing is voice acted, you can kinda make characters sound like whatever you imagine in your head.

Sandrock always feels a little goofy and awkward, and not in the charming way. Charm was a lot of the reason I put up with Stardews monotony, because I was into a lot more of the characters. Anyone else feel similar or am I just being a dumb weirdo about it?

Sorry, I think you're kind of crazy.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Is Slay the Princess a princess maker game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

No, its a straight up visual novel.

But you make a princess in it. :sun: