Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was so drat pissed off that after all the sobbing I'd done it all turned out to be a hallucination in a hospital ward. I was invested, dammit.

God indie devs obsession with dreams/dying dreams/hallucinations is the loving worst. It was a tired cliche when loving Dallas did it in the early 80s. It's never clever or revelatory.

Also, because I'm contractually obliged to, I'd say that if you want something that feels like a life sim but is more of an RPG, the Atelier series really scratches that itch. Particularly the Arland and Mysterious sub-series. Run an alchemy shop, explore and fight for ingredients, help out your town and friends. Only sometimes do you have to save anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anyone see any streams/reviews of Harvestella up yet?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

skeleton warrior posted:

Let us know how it is. Early reviews say that there's no romance element, so I'm a little leery to start with.

There's a cheevo for "exchanging vows with a partner" with a wedding ring image so I'm not sure about that.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 4, 2022

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I think (obviously big spoilers) Prey 2017 did a good job at it too. Cause like everything mostly still happened and it fit the games themes and they built towards it.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

CK07 posted:

I will say that while I played a ton of it, I hated the writing. Juvenile is probably the most polite way to describe it.

Yeah it's got that middle school cynicism that South Park and GTA revel in.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Anybody take the plunge and try the new Harvest Moon? Been hearing rumblings it's actually decent.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I've been really enjoying Wildmender as well. Game out of nowhere but really cool.

On other releases anyone try Harvest Island?

Seems like a seasonally appropriate horrror/farm sim hybrid?

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

Sandrock is pretty good so far! I am surprised the amount of people who recommend turning down the speed, I feel like I get a ton done in a day, but maybe I am just used to these types of games? Feels way more lenient than Rune Factory, it only really felt tight before I got the sleep upgrade but I picked that up in like no time at all.

I'm really surprised by how charmed I am of it, though maybe I wouldn't be as much if I wasn't comparing it to portia lol.

It's one of the steepest improvements between sequels I've seen yeah. I bounced off Portia hard and Sandrock grabbed me near instantly. It's just so much more charmingly written and well designed.

It's also one of the few of these games where I'm having real difficulty trying to decide who to romance because there's so many good options. Venti, Nia, Unsuur and Mi-An are all frontrunners but then Elsie and Grace got character development so they're good too. And part of me wants to romance that dork Burgess just cause of how consistently funny every scene he's in has been.

Not to mention that disaster Catori.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Sandrock also does something unique I don't remember seeing in any other game.

There are a couple of characters that take the initiative in asking you to be their SO.

Yeah that blindsided me and is cool.

Also also just cause a character is romanceable doesn't mean they stick around. No interface spoilers in this game. The above complaint about Coral Island lacking interpersonal conflict and relationships REALLY does not apply to Sandrock.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

FrickenMoron posted:

My favorite thing I learned about Rune Factory 4 recently is that your child has dialog lines for every single story dungeon, even the first one that is almost impossible to do because the requirements for marriage are story progression for pretty much everyone except Vishnal.

It's not to the same level but Mason, a character in Sandrock who leaves after the third or fourth main mission has lines for you getting married, having kids or getting divorced.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Add me to the list of people who bounced off Portia despite multiple attempts but fell in love with Sandrock. It was my goty last year even.

One thing I like about it is it does a particularly good job of portraying the little squabbles and odd friendships of small town life that some of the earlier Harvest Moons pulled off well but few more modern games do. People are always doing things and hanging out with friends or cattily gossiping. It's i think the only game like this where I didn't know who to romance not because of a lack of good choices but because there were so many. Or well good and "good". Some characters like Burgess or Catori I wanted to romance to see the disaster. Also pretty cool making the deadbeat mum who ran off to another town to get cigarettes a romance option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

The Lone Badger posted:

Slumlord. You inherit a dilipidated farm apartment block, plant crops tenants, harvest collect rent a measured time later (but remember to do the watering keep up repairs). Upgrading the plot building lets you cultivate more valuable crops tenants. Explore the dangerous dungeon alleyways for crafting materials.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/...of%20Obenseuer.

Has gotten pretty good reviews in the survival sim thread.