Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

LLSix posted:

I'm trying to decide between getting
SoS: A Wonderful Life
Ikonei Island
One Lonely Outpost

Any thoughts or arguments if favor/against any of them?

My nostalgia for A Wonderful Life did not last a week once I started playing it. There is quite little to do and your daily routine becomes repetitive quickly, and the NPC dialogue was pretty stale. I loved what they did with the graphics, but everything else about the game is very dated when compared to modern games. Farming games are just better nowadays and they didn't do enough to update this one in my opinion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
For the third time I've reached Spring 13 in Story of Seasons: Pioneers of Olive Town and lost interest. RIP. What a bland game.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I actually bounced pretty hard off Sandrock for a reason I haven't seen anyone else bring up, the absolute deluge of poo poo you have no context for the second you open a shop menu. I really don't like when I talk to a store npc and am offered like 30-40 things before the game has even taught me basic mechanics, especially when I have an extremely limited selection of things I can craft so it's just regents I can't use and I have to menu search for the items I can actually use. I'm sure this is something people love since it gives you glimpses of the future and lets you choose what to build towards first but for me it just feels overwhelming while I'm still trying to internalize the map, NPCs, mechanics, etc.

I'm about 60 hours in (no end in sight yet) and I found it interesting that there haven't been any "upgrade the shops" quests or quests that result in the shops expanding their inventories (though there are quests related to how the shops are run, they don't result in upgrades). The Commerce Guild store is the only shop that adds additional recipes for purchase as the main story progresses. The questline involving the Game Center was fun and I wish there were quests like that for the other shops.

But the game is really good and you should give it another shot! Any game this large can seem overwhelming if you imagine the entire thing all at once from the start.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Jack Trades posted:

Some shops add new stock as you progress through the story. For example once you get access to Iron, shops that sell ore/weapons will have iron-related goods, or once you get access to plastics, the clothing store will start selling stuff made out of plastics.

Oh dang. I stand corrected. Sorry OP it just gets worse (better).

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

a7m2 posted:

RF4 is a good game but it's not a good farming game

I would apply this quote to Sandrock, but in RF4 the crops stack above your head as you pick them and reach up real high, and the stack wobbles as you run, so I'd say it's a drat good farming game.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Devs know that some players don't care about story, they just wanna gently caress.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
It's a shame that Sandrock has so many different townsfolk in it but none of them come close at all to being as awesome as Unsuur.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Jyrraeth posted:

Imagine a game with futures trading like the real world. Now that would be an interesting challenge for a dev to balance.

I know many games try and fail to stimulate an economy, but making it fun seems hard.

Sure but it'll be a double A-ness indie game that gamers won't buy till it's on sale for $15 so they can flame the dev in verified purchase reviews.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Playing A Wonderful Life made me realize how much nostalgia sometimes isn't enough to enjoy a game. I thought the graphics were beautiful and starting the game up again really brought me back to my childhood, but after that charm wore off I gave up on the game before the end of the first year. Not enough things to do, gameplay is slow, the mining is boring as hell and unrewarding, animal care is slow. I think I played for almost 20 hours and it felt like barely anything happened.

I remembered that I never got past the second year when I played it as a kid either, so maybe the nostalgia was misplaced. You know how when you're a kid you play the beginning of a game for what feels like ages and it's totally fun because you're of a simpler young mind? It felt like that.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
A Wonderful Life rides the coattails of nostalgia to deliver a slow, featureless, and boring game.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Something Sandrock did that I found delightful and haven't seen in a videogame before, is script the NPCs to occasionally have lines of dialogue that are sort of under their breath in cutscenes and during the town hall meetings. The dialogue volume is lower and the subtitles appear above the character's head, so if you're not paying attention you might miss it, but occasionally the cast has some hilarious stuff to say in regards to how the town is run and whatnot. Unsuur is one of the funniest characters and he gets a lot of these lines as he is often in the background making autistic observations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Brut posted:

Just noticed My Time at Portia is 80% off on Steam, can you get all of the achievements in that game in a single playthrough eventually or are there some you can somehow miss/permanently gently caress up?

Keeping in mind the thing you said about single playthroughs due to too many games, I highly suggest skipping Portia and getting Sandrock instead. Sandrock improves on the gameplay in every way such that it renders Portia obsolete. If it's a cost thing, go for Portia I suppose, but otherwise you'd be much better served getting the sequel.