Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A Wonderful Life plays in chapters, with time skips, and scripted times for things to occur to some extent, like with marriage. I don’t know how the remake plays, but on the GameCube version you had to get married in year 1 otherwise the game was over. You leave the town. Roll credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Spring Sale. These are the games that I don't own that seem worth trying... but... none of my steam friends have any amount of time in any of them and I've vaguely heard negative things about Coral Island and Kynseed.

Coral Island -24%
Kynseed -20%
Roots of Pacha -30%

However, I would highly recommend My Time at Portia for anyone who hasn't tried it that enjoys this genre. 6 bucks right now, down from 30. I put 200+ hours into it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Pacha seems to have co-op? Is that just like the full single player experience? Might stand above the others if I can enjoy it with my wife.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

LLSix posted:

There are several games I'd recommend before Pacha:
Rune Factory 4 (& 3 & 5) if you like or at least tolerate anime and fighting.

Absolutely not.

The most polite way I've seen marriage candidates referred to in that series is "child coded"

Yeeesh.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Mar 16, 2024

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh sorry. Wrong, but nearly identical, NPC.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

FrickenMoron posted:

If you don't like the design of a character, don't marry them. I always felt like Amber/Kiel in RF4 might be for the younger players, you gotta remember its not always people in their 30s who play these games.

"If you don't like the design of a character" is a funny way to defend the 10 year old included as a marriage candidate that you can have children with. It's pretty gross considering the game does have marriage candidates that don't look like children, so it was quite the choice to throw this one (and a couple others in RF4) in for whoever was interested.

Also, claiming the child marriage candidate is there for younger players to choose to marry isn't the defense you think it is.

Even if you like the game otherwise, you should at least have the good sense to recognize this as a gross misstep unworthy of justification. It looks like they didn't repeat it in RF5, which is good. I've written off the series. There's so many other games to recommend.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 16, 2024

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
It’s a cool cat.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

DACK FAYDEN posted:

this is why I haven't even started Coral Island, because someone warned me about this, even though it says it's 1.0 it's not done (I kickstartered it so it wasn't a "don't buy it yet" situation but it would have been...)

I watched this overview last night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t96gNf6vkmU

Led me to the roadmap.

v1.1 looks like what should have been 1.0.
v1.2 adds multiplayer.
v1.3 seems to be extras that make the game feel more lively.

I think I'd rather wait for v1.3.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Mar 17, 2024

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Stardew is the gold standard of this genre.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Sandrock is a lot like Portia, just improved in all ways. I wouldn’t call it smaller, but it doesn’t waste space like Portia did.

If you didn’t like Portia, you’re not going to love Sandrock. I like them both a lot though. Second best in the genre behind Stardew.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
That’s cool.

What did you think didn’t work about Portia that was corrected in Sandrock?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I’m surprised people would even try Sandrock after not caring for Portia.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Re: City Life Sim

Sunkissed City tentatively planned for end of 2024.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

The Lone Badger posted:

No? She's a dragon.

Tired Moritz posted:

Non-canon. For the weaklings. True players gently caress the dragon when they're a dragon.

When someone's implying you should not be romantically interested in the child 10,000 year old dragon, you should hit the loving brakes immediately.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I was on mobile last night so couldn't, but here's some screenshots of Sunkissed City. Made by someone who did some work on Stardew, and it shows.

Looks a lot like the Alpha Stardew style. Unclear how final that's going to be.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 16, 2024

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Rude.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You know what, for all the poor mechanics and decisions in AWL, being able to name the gen 3 hybrid crops is loving cool.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Steam Farming Fest until May 6. Might be a good time to pick something up.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just finished A Wonderful Life. Would not recommend. What a slog.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
huh. I would say the first year is pretty bad, and it's only the second year when you have new mechanics and direction that the game feels exciting for a moment. But then you have everything done by year 4 with two years ago, except for tedious tasks like getting to 100 bulletin board quests completed.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Brut posted:

Just noticed My Time at Portia is 80% off on Steam, can you get all of the achievements in that game in a single playthrough eventually or are there some you can somehow miss/permanently gently caress up?

There are achievements gained through romancing specific individuals. Emily, Ginger, and Mint at least, from what I can see by referencing my achievements. There's an achievement for getting divorced, for some reason, and another for getting caught cheating on your partner by actively dating someone else.

You could get all of these in one playthrough, I guess. Or you could save scum. Or you can play a couple of times. I enjoy returning to these games every couple of years or so, and it feels less weird than being manipulative and game-y.

First playthrough of these games should be blind anyway. You can always come back later and be super minmax metagame-y anytime. You can't be surprised later.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 2, 2024

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Why, when they could play both?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Not trying to dissuade Portia/Sandrock chat at all, just pointing out there is a Portia/Sandrock thread filled with good content.

I tried to make a character in Sandrock yesterday. Just as I finished, the game crashed before starting the game. :|

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
My Summer Car has a wild car building aspect to the game, but it's also a general survival and driving sim.

It's not exactly what you're describing, but have you tried games like Dyson Sphere Program? You can get real fiddly with that in terms of designing, refining, rebuilding more efficiently, etc.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Coral Island on sale. Grabbed that, but I'm thinking I'd wait for the next update or two.

edit: Also, Portia is on sale for 6 bucks. It's a great deal. I put 200+ hours into it.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:11 on May 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I've put 70 80 hours in the past two weeks, according to steam. Having a nice time.