Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I was able to post about Chinese Parents but I see someone's beaten me to it. I haven't really played the game since V2 dropped so I'm not sure what changed there but I really enjoyed the game for like 20-30 hours before that even if getting married was a crapshoot.

I was actually interested in that teenage exocolonist game, I might move it up on my list. Still too busy working through Wuxia RPGs to get to that immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Nah, I gave Portia a shot earlier this year and I really didn't like it either. I was impressed with what I've played of Sandrock so far though so the studio's learned a lot from Portia.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Big fan of these games, not sure I'd call them life sim enough to go in this thread, doubly so for Path which is more focused on the RPG side to me. Both of these kind of feel like putting Persona in this thread.

Either way, big fan of both these games but do watch out for the Steam release of the first one. The publisher hosed over one of the artists so they ended up replacing some of the really good original art with junk that looks like it came from a mobile game. There should be a mod to replace the art if you do buy it on Steam but like, gently caress it, you can pirate that one morally.

Path is being made by the original studio without any such concerns so feel free to buy that one.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Tale of Wuxia is a remake of Legend of Wulin Heroes. They're both done by the same director at Heluo Studios who's also doing Path.

It's not super huge but if you're getting those games, they can be racist/LGBTphobic. They're also kind of heavily male focused but I'm not sure if I'd call them sexist off the top of my head.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I've played a bit of Immortal Life and I know someone else played a bit of it, maybe in the Stardew thread?

It's a bit rough right now, the whole cultivation aspect of it hasn't really kicked in yet. They did make some pretty major fixes to the combat that make it a lot less janky at the expense of making it kind of trivial so far. I haven't seen any boss fights so that might change.

The actual farming is a bit weird since you've got a chance to get different crops when harvesting. ie. You plant soy beans and you can harvest both soy beans and like, magic soy beans. You can't really do much with them yet but they sell for more which is good because the economy in this game is rough as hell and your best way of dealing with it is just to go fishing instead. I don't know if the game will feel better once we get more progress or if the early game's always going to be a bit slow.

I might just be spoiled by RF3/4 where you can pretty much speedrun the early game though.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I remember there being a quick synth button for cooking? I guess it might be a bit annoying to have to cook everything though.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

RF5 had something of a wonky transition to 3D that makes the game feel significantly worse than it's predecessor. RF4 on the other hand is basically the 4th actual iteration of the franchise on the basically the same hardware (DS to 3DS) and pretty much an improved mechanically and slightly less anime version of RF3. RF4 also got extra content and fixes in the rereleases.

RF5 is still considered good as long as you're not playing it on the Switch and it does actually let you do m/m and f/f romances. But otherwise, RF4 is generally considered better.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

here is a new stat raising sim got posted over in the fresh releases thread

Oh hey, I remember playing the demo for this. I enjoyed that back then, I might grab it if it's out for real.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

There was an old flash game called My Pet Protector (there were 3 actually) about raising yourself in a village that was destroyed in some war. You'd build up your village again, train to get stronger and go dungeon hunting. I guess that's sort of what you're asking for, I guess it is a bit surprising we haven't seen too much like it on a bigger budget game.

Path of Wuxia is still a school setting, I guess and it's pretty light on the simulation stuff. Tale of Wuxia certainly wasn't but there's so many caveats to recommending that these days.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Speaking of 3D farm sims, this chat reminded that there was a 3D farm sim that was getting published by Square Enix back in the day. I think it was being made by a SEA developer, it definitely wasn't Harvestella. I think it was called Re: Fantasy or something? I can't find any info on it any more, does anyone know the name of that game or what happened to it?

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/2Pcom/status/1744996115571744858

Immortal Life is coming out of early access soon. It was an indie wuxia-themed farm sim where your sect gets destroyed and you have to work with the remaining sect members to rebuild it and the town by farming/fishing/fighting monsters and all the usual jazz. The early access was functional enough when I played it even though it was a bit slow and definitely needed a bit of revisions based on playtesting feedback. Still, I haven't touched it since Oct 2022 according to Steam.

Might get back to it after Sandrock but Sandrock is big and I'm really not that far into it at all. I just got the first bridge rebuilt, I think I'm meant to be able to dig up iron soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I gave it a shot after bouncing off Portia because the idea of a desert life sim sounded interesting. After I played the open beta, I was a lot more impressed with how much more character it had even though I didn't end up being all that keen on the desert setting.

To me, Portia feels like the devs jumped on to a trend and started having their own ideas significantly later into dev. Sandrock in comparison feels like it had a strong idea at the start and much better creative direction.