Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
there is a story of season/rune factory thread as well that can probably be thrown into the op

i hope harvestella ends up good, its another one like rune factory that leans more into rpg stuff. they showed it off some more at the treehouse live but i haven't gotten around to watching this yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yk9MIdWQLk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
hanako games has a chunk of stuff in the stat raising sim model. the time frames are typically either a year or shorter, so there isn't much actual growing up though in long live a queen compared to a princess maker for example.

e: oh another recent one is the world according to her.

it does some unique stuff, goes for a truman show type of thing where you are in charge of a fake city and hire actors to staff different districts and thematically those interactions with the actors is what is raising stats. so instead of picking classes for a week or whatever, you hire more actors, and then you put energy into districts so there is a higher chance you will get a stat gain from them. but if you overwork your actors they start getting sloppy and the girl gets suspicious.
actors also have their own passive or active abilities.

for example the growing up girl actor randomly becomes a different character after a few seasons. as you see here, this one ended up being ftm.

at certain points you are tested where you are trying to impress a certain amount of judges by using your stat gains. funny enough its just kinda a copy of the judging stuff from idolmaster shiny colors

very poor translation. longer time frame than the hanako stuff where it would say it is more of a "growing up" game though.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Aug 30, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
nah i would personally agree with you. it is more strict that i would like. i prefer all the other hanako stat raising stuff way more.

anyway since the stat raising type of life sim games are getting posted in here, i guess its time to start talking about tokimeki memorial >:D

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Playing exocolonist and I am pretty impressed with it so far. I knew from previous posts things take a turn but I wasn't expecting how quickly and constant it would keep things escalating. I'm at year 5 so I still have a good chunk to go and the earth peeps just arrived so time to see how that shakes things up.

The sense of scope is striking. Its funny to compare it to something like Tokimeki Memorial which also feels "big" for being a stat raising sim, though the two games go about that in very different ways: walk around maps, constant status quo changes, vs the more in depth scheduling and stuff like clothing systems that actually matter depending on the game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ok well, i just did an entire play through of that game in one session lmao
sorta disappointed with the ending, seems very easy to survive and ended up not having much omph for something the character says "i been planning for my entire life". but i guess the real challenge is just going to be doing future playthroughs and juggling all the events in mind.
was terrified anemome ending was time sensitive at first when i danced with her and then immediately afterwards she was kissing vance, horrifying, but it made it all the more delightful when she dumps that loser

there are some bits i am not fully onboard with (ie, the politics seem sorta soft imo) but overall i am really happy with this. its nice to get a stat raising sim doing its own thing in the space and trying new stuff, i hope it may end up inspiring other projects because the genre can really use more games. i think the potential of the genre is often overlooked in the west.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i already did the revolution on my first play through!!! i am an expert in the genre B)
going to do the former tho

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its been happening for all the remakes so no surprise but wonderful life is going to have gay marriage so thats good

i hope harvestella is good...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I wanted to try it but the game is also coming out on pc and I would prefer playing it there so I dunno if I am going to bother with the switch demo.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

skeleton warrior posted:

Also some people complaining that there is no cat option, you must have a dog.

ownage!!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
give me the mysterious style of puzzle alchemy in the atelier games in a life sim instead of whatever potion permit is doing

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its a game i had my eye on and i wasn't disappointed in the demo, yay...

the haggling stuff isn't anything to write home (just a simple card battler) but it does look like it won't over stay its welcome or anything and has an emphasis on it being quick which is nice. just gives me a bit of a style savvy vibe getting to do something to sell a product, so im for it i think.

i am more interested in what the actual potion making stuff ends up like because it does seem like there are atelier style traits/tags and what not. speaking of atelier the walrus is 100% their Hagel... even the theme music is sorta similar vibe

also mint is cute

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 8, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah for sure. there were some designs i wasn't sold on compared to others, but the animations add a lot

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i am playing touhou mystia's izakaya

days you walk around an overworld map, do some sidequests and gather ingredients, nights you play a diner dash game. sometimes rare customers in who are actually characters and unlike the generics they don't tell you what dish they want from your menu but you have to figure out what traits they like in their food and drink and serve it to them. make rare customers happy and they start giving you sidequests that lead to new recipes and helpers.

seems it has a surprisingly amount of content. im still in the early game but eventually you can get like 3 workers to do everything for you in the kitchen and you just focus on the rare customers.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
potionomics is out, if anyone grabs it please share thoughts here... i wanna know how the actual potion making stuff feels a bit deeper past the demo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tism the Dragon Tickler posted:

It's really good imo. The potion making is very simple on the surface but gets extremely complicated very quickly because you're balancing a whole bunch of different factors. Perfect balance for extra stars vs. higher base quality with bigger ingredients that don't have perfect ratios, sense bonuses, cost of ingredients, different branching cauldron upgrades, it's a lot to sink your teeth into.

It's also very good aesthetically and the writing is a lot of fun. One of my favorite games that's come out in the past couple years.

awesome, sounds like what I was hoping for from those systems. the demo was just the tutorial section so it was hard to get a good read on it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
mint...

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Bremen posted:

Debt payments: Rather than Recettear's need to raise money to pay off debts, instead every ten days there's a potionmaking contest with a cash prize that just happens to match your debt repayment. The contest is something of a combination of the systems - you have to make the specific potion, but you're "scored" by how much you can sell it for, including the sales minigame. One thing I found interesting is that while the prize/debt payment was much higher than I earned in my shop, it didn't seem impossibly higher - the first round was 10,000 gold, and I probably only made 3-4k messing around in 10 days on my first playthrough, all of which I immediately sunk into upgrades and ingredients. But it seems like it might be possible to actually make 10k in which case I wonder if it's possible to progress if you fail the contest.

my thought when noticing that was maybe debt lady is one of the hidden romance options and doing both is how you access that

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its nice to have a game that scratches the same part of the brain as atelier but without the jrpg bits. which i do like, it just always felt like there should be a game in this space without that.

my brain keeps telling me at this point i should just restart and apply what i have learned... even though i am doing fine lmao.
im really happy with this game so far.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CK07 posted:

I really wish they would add a button in the ingredient shop for "set qty to max" because clicking a hundred times per game day is cramping my style finger.

also it needs the same thing the brew menu has where you can narrow stuff down by type

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
imo IWATE is good and i appreciate getting a modern stat raising sim that isn't just doing the typical stat raising sim thing from a western dev, but after saving tammy in what would be my second play through i did just sorta realized I just didn't care enough about the world or characters for another run. not that i find the characters unlikable, but i dunno just not for me. i hope the game leads to more devs giving the sub genre a try and realizing the potential there.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
more meta progression than you would like personally i am guessing

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm not quite sure what you mean, could you explain more?

the upgrades you get in between runs are meta progression

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
GoG is giving away haven park which is a game that is in this genre, its suppose to be short though.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I been putting a lot of time into Dinkum lately and I am really enjoying it but jeez this museum is weak... hopefully it gets fleshed out with more updates since still early access but its not a pretty museum at all :'(

Also personally wish you could get to the farming and animal husbandry stuff a bit quicker.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
imo RF still has more personality and the farming/crafting stuff has like a crazy amount of depth compared to stardew. I mean don't get me wrong it would nice for next RF game to do something more and hopefully it does now since 5 was a transitional game with the whole 3d stuff, but stardew feels much more standard to me than RF.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Can you still do the magnify glass trick in RF5? I love doing that

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
here is a new stat raising sim got posted over in the fresh releases thread

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

the debate minigame in volcano princess is probably one of the funnier mechanics i seen in a stat raising sim... a screenshot does not do it justice you need to imagine the most dramatic music in the game playing in the background while the window just scrolls through the entire debate with no input from you

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i finished my first play through of volcano princess and my daughter became the richest woman in the world and married two women

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I just got the true ending, its something alright. You know I really thought Lebsa/Rebessa (dunno what the name is supposed to be, the achievements have it listed as Rebessa but Lebsa is an anagram for Asbel so it would make more since for that to be the name) was just going to be a fun crazy lady who enjoyed talking about murdering people, people have their hobbies.

e: still thinking about this

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 4, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

some people can't handle being a bad father

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Between Exocolonist and Volcano Princess i am happy we are getting some really solid stat raising sims recently but I do want to see something that changes up the formula. Like the genre is basically about "learning" so I see why that leans towards like kids or pets, or the school settings of Magical Diary or Tokimeki Memorial, but it would be neat to see something different.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, RF4 has some crazy in depth systems that you can completely ignore to the point that most players don't even know that they exist.

Anyway craft a magnify glass to your hoe.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jun 12, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
yeah inheritance is something that just works in the initial craft, not upgrade.

The Lone Badger posted:

There's a way to make an extremely deadly sword with nothing but some bronze and a huge pile of turnip seeds, but I forget how.

probably using the level system? once you hit level 50 you start getting level bonuses and rarity bonuses which provide like some extra flat stats to what you upgrade. so if you use a bunch of level 10 seeds in your craft and also when you upgrade you can maximize that stat gain. but turnip seeds aren't really going to give you anything good in the rarity bonus.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's very complicated and you should really just find a guide.

you really don't at this point lol, they just started the game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
paradox's kings of dragon pass

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
wow, a kappa for the ladies and a kappa for the fellas. either way you float, you can get your shirikodama pulled, that is progressive.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hwurmp posted:

Volcano Princess, maybe

They want games with a mother, that has a father.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Nick Buntline posted:

Oh yeah, it's been long enough since I played that I forgot you had that customization in Ciel Fledge. Would recommend that one; fair warning that it's slower paced than most due to there being minigames for most activities (similar to Teenage Exocolonist), but it's an interesting setting, has better production values than you'd expect for the price, and there's some branching paths in the plot from what I recall.

I picked this up and no its slower paced because its you schedule every day of the week and it has like 8 years, lmao.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Sep 23, 2023

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SilentChaz posted:

Paleo Pines is out today if you've been wanting more dinosaurs in your farm sim.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1202200/Paleo_Pines/

i don't like these dinosaurs, they are ugly >:(
i only like pretty dinosaurs!! :'(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hwurmp posted:

turn on your monitor

D':<