Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

HopperUK posted:

I keep buying all of these that come out and then just playing Stardew Valley again. I am making a rule that I'm not allowed to touch my modlist now until at least winter of year 1 so that I don't add yet another 'played for 14 days, discovered new mod, started over' save to the pile.

Currently eyeballing Cozy Grove. But I still play Animal Crossing at least an hour every day, I don't know if I need another commitment like that in my life. On the other hand, perhaps it plays on the Deck.

Dinkum sounds like it would really hit for you. It’s basically animal crossing with a bunch of actual game mechanics a la stardew added in.

Eiba posted:

Cool new thread!

So I've been wondering for a while and I figured folks interested in this thread would know:

Is Dinkum good?

It looks really good, but I'm not sure how the animal crossing gameplay would feel in not-real-time. If you can just go to bed for the next day, but there's no seasonal pressure like Stardew, I feel like there's a lot of times you'd want to just go to bed a bunch of times in a row to progress things, which feels bad. I also wonder about these early access games. I feel like it'd be easy to get burnt out on something like this before all the content is in.

I've got a friend I'd like to coop it with. Anyone got coop experience with it in its current form?

Dinkum is super fun. There is some seasonal pressure actually - some crops are seasonal, fish change, bugs change etc. Nothing so far has taken more than a day or two to finish in terms of town progression, so never felt like sleeping a bunch of days was the move. Non-farming stuff is really built out, basically all I’ve done, so you’re not beholden to the crop timer as much. In general it is just surprisingly well developed all round.

Coop is fun, but you sort of have to decide you’re going to just progress that one person’s island. But, guests can do a lot more than in animal crossing. It’s closer to a stardew farmhand, just as a temporary visitor.

tildes fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Aug 30, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Eiba posted:

Alright, that's put some of my fears to rest. Nice.

How's the decoration/customization content compared to something like Animal Crossing? Can you really make things your own style, or is it more on the Stardew side of things where this is your setting and you're just grinding through it, perhaps with a different color shirt?

At this point I'll probably get it either way, but it would probably have to have some solid customization for me to get my friend on board. Coop is more fun when you can show off how you decided to decorate something.

There is definitely some of that, but not sure how much. I imagine definitely less than animal crossing, but I’m not super focused on that side of things (I chose to keep living in a tent while I invest in resource infrastructure). There at least is furniture etc but it miiight be more like stardew level.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Evrart Claire posted:

How much depth is there to Dinkum? Is it more animal crossing-ish or is there a bit more progression to it?

Lots more progression/depth than animal crossing IMO, but not a crazy deep game. You can make farms + automate stuff somewhat with items, lots of progression in vehicles and tools etc. It’s sort of like animal crossing and stardew jammed together, although the NPC relations stuff is still super early days.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, which Life Sim games have the most combat and adversity? These games are definitely overlapping with a lot of things I like but I'm looking for something with a hostile environment.

Project Zomboid honestly is getting to life sim levels a an npc mod and is very hostile.

I guess to the extent Moonlighter is a life sim, that? Part of the adversity is the game not being that good tho imo.

E: maybe Sun Haven? It is like if heavily modded stardew was a freestanding game, and expands the adventuring side of things a bit.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Varsity posted:

I wouldn't recommend Potion Permit, and this is coming from a guy who has been playing Farm and Life Simulators since Harvest Moon on the Gameboy.

It looks like it should be a charming Farm/life/shop simulator, but it really isn't. The gameplay loop is really bad, it's either run and talk to villagers to increase their once-daily friendship stat increase, or fast travel to the forest area and farm the same exact mobs and resource nodes that you've been farming for the last 7 in-game days.

All the progress unlocks that I have seen are literally just grind up wood/stone/money and maybe the occasional 'talk to this NPC', and then they open up a new area with differently skinned resource nodes and more mobs.

As for the main gimmick of the game, curing villagers and whatnot... It gets old about 3 sick villagers in. You play a 'babby's first rhythm game' over and over, and then make a randomized potion that the game wants. Everything about it is unfun, tedious and annoying.

Other than the graphics, the villager interactions are nice and every new level of friendship brings a cutscene/quest. Those are well written, but the solution is almost always a random fetch quest or make a potion (which as we've established, is quite boring).

I wouldn't recommend it, unless you really are jonesing for an on-rails, grindy experience. Cute graphics, and competently written, but pretty unfun.

Sadly this all feels true for me. In theory it really felt like it should hit, but it really did not. Just feels super constrained and artificial to me.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Professor Beetus posted:

In this case the potluck is an actual thing happening on x date and not something that happens at the speed of plot, but I will try to keep your advice in mind. I am not even the worst min maxer I can't shake the gamer brain looking for optimal/intended routing and I need to break it.

In general there’s rly no time limit and no way to miss stuff in these games because everything cycles back around. If your potluck entry sucks one year you’ll have another shot next year. This is sort of the classic Stardew way- semi poison the town with your contribution to the soup in year 1 and then wow them a year or two later once you have your poo poo together.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
With coop it would be perfect, except the way it totally disrupts one person playing when the other has a menu open kind of kills a very menu heavy game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Mrenda posted:

If anyone doesn't keep up with Project Zomboid the next build of it (which could be out soon, or might not, who the hell knows? The developers are insane in the best way possible) is getting a major crafting/farming overhaul, and it'll be incredibly moddable, to the point there's going to be "wilderness" games/saves possible where you can do everything from scratch in the wild from your starting gear, with no having to loot places, unless you want to.

It's basically developing the world out even more (and they plan to go further) where it's already a mix of The Sims and zombie apocalypse, to where it's going to be a mix of a traditional "survival" game mixed with crafting/farm, but not as cute as the typical cute farming games (although most people I know who play it basically play it by trying to get cute outfits for their characters.)

Im excited for them to add in survivors as well in the build following. I feel like having some light survivor recruitment and management on top of everything else will be a cool addition and give some more purpose to compound creation. It really feels like it really makes it hard for anyone else trying to do a zombie thing to compete, sort of like starsector does for its genre. It’s just been developed for so long and has so much stuff.