Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

HopperUK posted:

I'd love a Stardew style game but set, not on an alien planet, but on this one in a post-climate-trouble future where you're like, restoring the planet by farming. like Terra Nil but with a character and story and a smaller focus. Some hopeful little thing. I think 'No Place Like Home' is a bit like that but I want a 2D pixel thing like that. Should probably just learn to make a game at this point.

One Lonely Outpost has been such a disappointment for me because the pitch is right up my alley, but the game itself is basically a glorified demo right now. This next patch will add a few more things, but it's still a long way from what I'd call 1.0.

In that same vein, another game I always wanted was an iteration of this ancient Lego Java game called Stormrunner: you crashed on this alien world, but instead of going out yourself, you build robots and program them to explore and collect poo poo for you. Granted, I was lazy and always used simple programs that were basically direct control rather than actual autonomous programs, but still! It was a super cool idea, and I've never found a game since that quite did what it did. Factorio is the closest, I suppose, but that's still quite different in gameplay, even if the vibes were spot on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Have you played The Colonists? You might like it.

Eh, not really into city builders. Craftomation might work, tho.

librarerun
Feb 13, 2024

Zesty posted:

Just finished A Wonderful Life. Would not recommend. What a slog.

Yup. While I'm sure the remake improves some things, the fact is the core gameplay is just too barebones to be enjoyable for the length of time the game expects you to play it.

It has a bunch of experimental systems that mostly didn't work out, and the few bits that did are just too few and far between the vast stretches of boring drudgery that is 95% of the game, and later games would uses the bits that did work to much better effect.

It's the most extreme example of "First Year Is Most Fun To Play" I've ever experienced in a farming game. Which is a shame because I think it has my favorite villager concepts in the series (Nami is the best bachelorette in the series, bar none).