Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Stardew has a great world and story but the meta game that occurs very late when you’ve accomplished everything is also very fun. You can get very creative with designing a custom farm that looks awesome and has a lot of detail. Or you can try and min max profit which can also be fun.

And when you’re all done with that? Time to get some mods! The mod community is very large and active.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dirk the Average posted:

One thing to be careful of - once you play Sandrock, it's really, really, really difficult to go back to playing Portia. The quality of life improvements alone are immense, and the characters are leaps and bounds better.

Also as nobody has mentioned it on this page yet, Rune Factory 4 is quite fun if you're looking for a good farming/dungeon diving gameplay loop. It definitely has a bigger emphasis on the dungeon side of things than most similar games, but the combat is quite good and varied with magic attacks, a variety of weapons, and weapon arts (which you can use with any weapon, which does lead to some amusing animations). The caveat is that it leans very heavily into anime tropes.

I tried Rune Factory 4, but it was just way too anime for me and the 3DS style graphics didn’t do much for me either. I refunded before my 2 hours were up. There’s a good game underneath it if you can get beyond that though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Sivart13 posted:

I got far enough on release that I was making star fruits in the greenhouse and making boucoup bucks, 63 hours apparently. Just didn't stick with it for the Year 3 rating.

I've tried to pick it up again to go to the island, but it feels like an archeological project. I'd love to top off my relationships with all my town friends but the last time I gained any hearts with them was before the Trump administration.

that being said, if I decided to restart for a second and probably final run at it, should I pick the normal farm or one of these crazy ones?

Pick the new Meadowlands farm. It’s a fantastic all around farm but the cool thing is you start with a coop and two chickens so you’ll start earning money a lot faster and get going quicker. Also you can eat mayonnaise now.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Holy poo poo, i'm gonna end up returning runefactory 4, y'all weren't kidding when you said it was very anime. I've been fast forwarding through nonsensical dialogue for at least five minutes and don't seem to be close to any actual gameplay

I couldn’t do it either and refunded it. I’m waiting on Sandrock to get a decent sale and that’ll be my new game now that I’m done with Stardew 1.6.