Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

I made an effort post about the Seahawks 2019 draft and didnt think we had one for the whole of TFF

It's been 3 years since the 2019 draft and that is the common thought about the time it takes to "grade" a draft with development and all.

Post your team's draft and RANT or RAVE about how that draft class is or isnt contributing to your teams Superbowl hopes in 2022.

Seattle Seahawks:

The 2019 draft outside of DK and maybe Travis Homer look like a complete bust. CODY BARTON SUCKS

This draft was supposed to be the last year of the "resetting" (not rebuilding dont you ever say the word rebuild around Pete Carroll) but really was the last year to give Russell Wilson a reason to not leave in the next two years. The hawks needed to come away with playmakers on the DLine and for the offense in general. They mostly failed.

1 29 29 L. J. Collier Defensive End - TOTAL BUST healthy scratch much of last year - F

2 15 47 Marquise Blair Safety - Injured all the time, sucked, cut today. So many better options in the middle of the 2nd round F

2 32 64 DK Metcalf Wide Receiver - ADONIS AMAZING LOVE. The one guy I got right and was beating the table for before he was drafted A++

3 25 88 Cody Barton Linebacker - loving sucks. was blocked by Aaron Rodgers in a playoff game. Special teams material. Not a starter. My dislike of him probably buoyed by being gaslit by th Dave Wymans of the world who constantly say he is a stud despite him loving missing tackles, getting blocked constantly, and not able to shed blocks. Not an F because he is on the roster. D+

4 18 120 Gary Jennings Jr. Wide Receiver - cut before 2019 season ended. 4th round seahawks WR curse delenda est F

4 22 124 Phil Haynes Guard - spent most of his time injured, still on team as back up guard. C

4 30 132 Ugo Amadi Safety - traded for Artega Whiteside instead of being cut this year F

5 4 142 Ben Burr-Kirven Linebacker - knee exploded on kick off return, injury cut. was good on ST before knee explosion C C is mostly because I cant hate on a guy who was a ST guy in the 5th but had a knee explode.

6 32 204 Travis Homer Running Back - Good pass blocking and pass catching back, more of a JAG than starter but good for a 6th round pickA

6 37 209 Demarcus Christmas Defensive Tackle - in the CFL now who cares about 6th rounders

7 22 236 John Ursua Wide Receiver - was like 28 when drafted. failed to run his route across the goalline vs the niners and cost them the game on the last play of the game. CUT F because they traded up to get him and he stopped the hawks from winning the division and sweeping the niners because he could run his route across the goalline and was stopped at the 1.5 yard line for the L

4 top 90 picks. 1 backup Guard, one back up pass blocking RB, DK METCALF, and an over hyped and bad LB out of the whole draft.

Overall Grade: C-

DK Metcalf doing all the heavy lifting for this draft class, but reality is that the hawks needed to really hit on some defensive playmakers and more support for Russell. You can probably take a look at the '17 18' 19' drafts as a whole and see the groundwork for the seahawks poo poo condition in 22 and what drove Wilson out of there. Coaching is one part of it but the drafting has been NOT GOOD for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Round 1 • Pick 11 (11) • OT Jonah Williams, Alabama Crimson Tide

He's fine B-

Round 2 • Pick 20 (52) • TE Drew Sample, Washington Huskies

Horribly overdrafted blocking tight end with stone hands but he's still on the roster so C- I guess

Round 3 • Pick 9 (72) • LB Germaine Pratt, N.C. State Wolfpack

He looked mediocre his first year or so but he's actually turned into a good player B+.

Round 4 • Pick 2 (104) • QB Ryan Finley, N.C. State Wolfpack

He gave us a bunch of memes in an upset victory over the Steelers so even though he isn't on the roster anymore I'll give him a B.

Round 4 • Pick 23 (125) • DT Renell Wren, Arizona State Sun Devils

Gone already hurt a lot D

Round 4 • Pick 34 (136) • OG Michael Jordan, Ohio State Buckeyes

Cost me significant psychological damage F

Round 6 • Pick 9 (182) • RB Trayveon Williams, Texas A&M Aggies

Still on the roster technically and an okay backup C

Round 6 • Pick 38 (210) • LB Deshaun Davis, Auburn Tigers

Gone D

Round 6 • Pick 39 (211) • RB Rodney Anderson, Oklahoma Sooners

Had some flashes but the injury concerns that caused him to drop in the draft made him retire super early D

Round 7 • Pick 9 (223) • CB Jordan Brown, South Dakota State Jackrabbits

Even as obsessive as I am about this team I remember literally nothing about this person.

Overview: pretty mediocre draft class but, like all Bengals mediocrity from 2016 to 2019, it helped us get Joe so good job guys.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
For the Packers, 2019 was the second draft by Brian Gutekunst and the first year with Matt LaFleur as coach. Gutey's 2018 draft sucked; he nailed the first pick in Jaire Alexander at #18 and got great value from MVS in the fifth round, but that was it out of 11 picks. Brutal. So how did 2019 go?

1.12 - Rashan Gary, OLB: Didn't do much his rookie season, but took a small leap in his sophomore season and then looked terrific last year. He's not threatening for DPOY honors or anything like that, but he's a legitimate #1 pass-rushing threat. Grade: A-

1.21 - Darnell Savage, FS: Savage has been a starter throughout his career, but rarely an impact player. The type of player who you would be thrilled to have gotten in the third round, but whose production is disappointing given a first-round pedigree. Grade: C+

2.44 - Elgton Jenkins, C: Jenkins can play any position on the line at a league-average level, and he has shown top-tier performance at guard. His unbelievable versatility has solved many problems on the line over the past few years. Grade: A

3.75 - Jace Sternberger, TE: Got a lot of chances and did little with them. Fifteen career receptions with two touchdowns, now trying to make someone's practice squad. Grading him a little harder because of the draft pedigree. Grade: F

5.150 - Kingsley Keke, DT: Contributed to the defensive line rotation for a few years and notched 6.5 sacks, but definitely a replacement-level player who ultimately got replaced. Also trying to make a practice squad somewhere. Grace: C

6.185 - Ka'dar Hollman, CB: Special teamer with one emergency start to his name. Totally unremarkable, doing the same edge-of-the-NFL dance as the last two. Grade: D+

6.194 - Dexter Williams, RB: Seven rushes for 19 yards says it all. Actually got brought back to the Packers this offseason, only to get cut again today. Grade: D-

7.226 - Ty Summers, LB: Special team standout player, which sounds nice for a seventh-rounder... but then you remember that special teams have kept the Packers out of numerous Super Bowls over the past decade. Finally cut this summer. Grade: C-

Undrafted - Yosh Nijman, OT: Does the robot, did fine as an emergency starter last season albeit with significant help. His benching for the 49ers game felt like one of several strange moves that lost them the game. Grade: B+

OVERALL GRADE: Getting a top pass-rusher and a skeleton key for your offensive line woes makes for a decent draft by itself, but factor in a couple more starters and some back-ups/special teamers and it ends up being a little bit above-average. I'll grade this draft a B.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Only one player remains on the Texans roster from the 2019 draft, and it's Tytus Howard. So, yeah, not great.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

NYJ

Round 1 - Pick 3 DT Quinnen Williams: He's ok but not what you want picking 3rd overall. B

2nd round was traded away previous year to get Sam Darnold, lol

Round 3 - Pick 68 LB Jachai Polite: Didn't play a single down for the Jets. F

Round 3 - Pick 92 OL Chuma Edoga: Bad olinemen, but he did actually play and even got some starting time. C

Round 4 - Pick 121 TE Trevon Wesco: Blocking TE, he does his job I guess. C

Round 5 - Pick 157 LB Blake Cashman: Saw some playing time and even a few starts. B

Round 6 - Pick 196 CB Blessuan Austin: Saw some playing time, started a full season's worth of games in his first two years. A

Middling draft for the Jets. At the time everyone said the Jets just HAD to take Williams, he was a once in a generation talent! He hasn't lived up to the hype, but he hasn't been a failure either. Jets come away with 1 starter and some backups, not enough to improve the team but not bad enough to be a clear cause for the Jets inability to compete.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Baltimore Ravens

After the brilliant 2018 draft, which was Ozzie's last, Eric DeCosta's first draft as general manager was horrible.

1.25 Marquise Brown WR - Fast, surprisingly good at the red zone, terrible hands at times. Never amounted to what people thought he would. I know this is very common but it should be noted that he was the first WR off the board and there were lots of studs that came well after: Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, DK Metcalf, Terry McLaurin. All in all though, he was the team's WR1 for cheap and then was flipped for another 1st rounder, so it's fine. Grade: B

3.85 Jaylon Ferguson DE - IIRC he's the NCAA FBS record holder for career sacks. Died way too young in a tragedy.

3.93 Miles Boykin WR - A wide receiver with extreme physical talent that didn't know how to run routes or catch passes. Decent blocker, terrible player. Cut this year and claimed by the Steelers, where he will likely turn into a pro bowler. Grade: F

4.113 Justice Hill RB - Never did anything besides being a good special teamer. Lost last season due to a torn achilles. Still on the roster. Grade: D

4.123 Ben Powers OG - Probably the starting LG going into this season, has played lots of snaps since being drafted. Nothing special though. Grade: C

4.127 Iman Marshall CB - Eternally injured. Played four snaps in his career. Currently an FA. Grade: F

5.160 Daylon Mack DT - Dude has gone through like six teams in his career and played a total of nine snaps. Currently on the USFL. Grade: F

6.197 Trace McSorley QB - Second and third-string quarterback until this season. Was instrumental in setting up Lamar's heroics in the classic poop game, so Grade: A+

Overall draft grade: F. Eight picks, only one hit who ended up being traded, plus a decent OL and a subpar RB.

---

edit: I forgot about UDFA Patrick Mekari C, who can play every position on the OL and is solid, so much that he signed a three-year extension last year. Grade: A+

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 30, 2022

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

The hurniest of gurney drafts. Perennial all pro/pro bowl caliber player in the first round (Brian burns) thrn a draft full of reaches, undersized linemen, players he intended to switch positions, and a lovely qb. Burns is the only player left on the team.

D and only that because of burns. Honestly reminiscent of his 2010 draft when he drafted Clausen and Edwards and put the final nail in fox’s coffin, except this time it was Rivera.

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 30, 2022

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Gonna do the Texans cause it's incredibly funny

1.23 OT Tytus Howard
An absolute reach after losing out on Dillard thanks to the Eagles trading up. I believe he had a third round grade on him at the time? Not a total bust but he's probably below average. Apparently he looked pretty ok at LT last season but I didn't watch Texans games because of Watson still being on the team Grade: B-

2.22 CB Lonnie Johnson
Looked ok at times, overall a bust. Traded away for a ham sandwich. Grade: F

2.23 OT Max Scharping
Cut for nothing after two seasons. Grade: F

3.22 TE Kahale Warring
Played 7 games for the Texans. Cut. Grade: F

5.23 DT Charles Omenihu
Serviceable backup type player. Traded for a 6th. Grade: C+

6.22 CB Xavier Crawford
Barely played at all. Cut during his rookie season. Not gonna be too hard on this one since he was a 6th. Grade: C-

7.6 FB Cullen Gillaspia
7th round fullback so again not gonna be hard on him. Now on the Giants. Grade: C

Look at this loving draft. Just look at it. I think this was Bill O'Brien's first draft as GM? Just lol. Just lmao

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 30, 2022

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

If this is the result of winning the superbowl, you take it, but man this is woof.

1.32 - N'Keal Harry.
A big bodied guy who excelled at contested catches in college who was soft as hell in the pros. He was a kinda okay blocker at times is about the nicest thing you can say about his tenure. Got traded to the Bears for a 7th, then promptly got injured. F

2.45 - Joejuan Williams CB
Another failed 2nd round DB for the Pats. Weird pick at the time, he never caught on much, got injured in TC, so he's probably done now. F

3.77 - Chase Winovich Edge
A white linebacker, so relatively popular. Fine rotational depth. 11 sacks in 3 seasons, just kinda slow and there. Traded for Mack Wilson (LB Browns) and he's making the team, so woo? C-

3.87 - Damien Harris RB
A pretty good running back where you should draft pretty good running backs. A fine pick B-

3.101 Yodny Cajuste T
Tackle depth. Injured in the last preseason game or something. Might be on PUP to start the season. Not good, but not like a nightmare I guess? D

4.133 Jarrett Stidham QB
He's on the Raiders now, nobody cares. F

5.159 Byron Cowart - DT
Played some snaps as a rookie, got injured or something, was injured all of last season, he's apparently a Colt now. F

5.163 - Jake Bailey P
A pretty good punter, about where you should draft a pretty good punter. C+

7.252 - Ken Webster, CB
Didn't make the team, think he's bounced around practice squads and whatnot for some years now. F

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
Bills:

Round 1 (9 overall): DT Ed Oliver,
Played out of position and took awhile to develop. Really took big step last year. B and he's trending towards B+

Round 2 (38 overall): T Cody Ford,
Looks like an absolute mauler but does not play that way. Under performer but was traded for a 5th round pick D+

Round 3 (74 overall): RB Devin Singletary,
Still their starting back and solid player A- for a 3rd round player.

Round 3 (96 overall): TE Dawson Knox,
Total Stud. Initially he couldn't catch and he had no TDs in college. Then he learned to catch and he's a freight train. A++

Round 5 (147 overall): LB Vosean Joseph, Cut/never made the team. F

Round 6 (181 overall): S Jaquan Johnson,
He's a backup but again really solid player who has tons of utility. B+

Round 7 (225 overall): DE Darryl Johnson,
Traded to Carolina for a 6th round pick. Great value on it's face B+ btw that 6th round pick becomes Christian Benford who was a lock to make the team as corner almost immediately.

Round 7 (228 overall): TE Tommy Sweeney,
Still on the team. I'm not as high on him as the Bills are but they were willing to cut OJ Howard and eat dead money to keep the guy around on an otherwise solid roster B

Honestly it was a great draft. This is what Bills fans are talking about when they say Beane is better with the later rounds. Getting two offensive starters at skill positions in the 3rd round is really good. Getting draft picks back for players that don't fit is good.

pasaluki fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 30, 2022

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Eagles 2019 draft

1 - Andre Dillard: Drafted to play LT but supplanted by 2018 7th round project pick and enormous man Jordan Mailata. Still on the roster but his potential looks to be topping out as a swing tackle. D+

2 - Miles Sanders: Injured more than you would want last year but even before that, the team seems intent on replacing him, which is bizarre. Has had over 5 YPC the past couple of years. Caught 50/63 passes his first year but the knock on him is supposed to be his pass catching ability. Only managed to catch about half his passes in 2020, the year Carson Wentz went full dogshit. Wish he'd stop missing time but I still think this is a good pick and he's been underutilized. B+

2 - JJ Arcega-Whiteside: Theoretically brought in to be the heir to Alshon Jeffrey. Sucked at everything he did. Juts godawful. Briefly converted to TE in camp this year, traded to the Seahawks for peanuts, then cut. F

4 - Shareef Miller: Who? Played in one game his rookie year. Last spotted in the USFL playing for the New Orleans Breakers. F

5 - Clayton Thorson: What you'd expect from a 5th-round QB. Bounced among other NFC East teams then landed in the USFL's Houston Gamblers. Not an "F" because he has a cool name. D-

Notable free agents? Eh, I guess

Nate Herbig: Played most of 2020 and a little of 2021 at RG. Currently on the Jets and still in the league. Fine as a depth guy.

Sua Opeta: Depth guard. Still on the roster!

Quiet Feet fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 30, 2022

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.
Raiders 2019 Draft:

1 - Clelin Ferrell - A bit of a reach, originally projected as a mid-round first. Wasn't able to make the transition to the NFL. F
1 - Josh Jacobs - One of the best RBs in the NFL since he was drafted; was OROY in reality where dumb journalists don't vote on that award and give it to a QB every year. A+
1 - Johnathan Abram - Has been up and down and dealt with injuries. Decent when on the field. B

2 - Trayvon Mullen - Ok CB who has dealt with injuries. Pretty good when on the field, but that has been pretty rare. Recently traded. B

4 - Maxx Crosby - One of the best pass rushers in the NFL and the best pass rusher of the draft class. Was DROY in reality where dumb journalists don't give it to the 3rd best rookie DE that year because of that teams overall defensive line play. A+
4 - Isaiah Johnson - Didn't stick with the Raiders. Bounced around the league. F
4 - Foster Moreau - Quality TE that is stuck behind Waller. Would start for most teams. A+

5 - Hunter Renfrow - One of the best slot WRs in the NFL. A+

7 - Quinton Bell - Didn't make the roster; has bounced around different practice squads. F

Overall the draft gets an A+. Got three different players that are top 5 at their respective positions as well as other quality starters. If not for missing on Ferrell, this would probably go down as one of the all time great drafts.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
Kansas City Chiefs:

Rd 2 No. 56 – Mecole Hardman, WR (Georgia)
A reach because Veach wanted to lock up a WR with speed in case Tyreek Hill's legal troubles or hamstring troubles would end his Chiefs career. Despite his physical attributes, he didn't develop as much as hoped and never gained Mahomes' trust like Hill and Kelce did, but he has found his niche as a strong WR2/WR3 option and formidable on jet sweeps. Had a crucial kick return in the playoffs against the Texans that helped spearhead the first playoff comeback. 2nd team All Pro in his rookie season as a kick returner. B- for his role in getting to Super Bowl LIV and can be higher if he flourishes without Hill this year (personally I think he caps out as a WR2/WR3).

Rd 2 No. 63 – Juan Thornhill, S (Virginia)
Had an awesome rookie season and built a great safety tandem with Tyrann Mathieu in the 2019 season before his season was curtailed in a non-contact ACL injury. Struggled in 2020 to get his starter job back and still seemed to be recovering confidence in his knee going into the 2021. Got the starting FS job back due to Sorensen's incompetence, and was fine. Will need to impress in the new look secondary this year to stay beyond his rookie contract. C+

Rd 3 No. 84 – Khalen Saunders, DT (Western Illinois)
Still on the roster for the 2022 season, but only started 5 times and has been plagued with injuries. Lost his spot to UDFA Tershawn Wharton and had to fight for his job this preseason as the Chiefs brought in veteran DTs to shore up the interior next to Chris Jones. He's shown flashes of potential, but until now has mostly just been a JAG. D

Rd 6 No. 201 – Rashad Fenton, CB (South Carolina)
The first of an annual tradition of Veach drafting a day 3 CB and the coaching staff developing them into starter quality. Special teamer and rotational CB in 2019, he's moved up the depth chart every year and remained a dependable CB and was the team's best cornerback this year. Pick-6 on Josh Allen in the 2020 AFC Conference game. Would be expected start this season against the Cardinals but his been managing injuries in pre-season. Even so, A+

Rd 6 No. 214 – Darwin Thompson, RB (Utah State) Bounced between the bottom of the 53 and practice squad and passed by Darrell Williams on the RB depth chart. Ended up with the Buccs in 2020 but didn't stick. Just been cut from the Seahawks so might be out of the league soon. However, he recovered a fumble on special teams against the Texans in the playoffs so can still get a C

Rd 7 No. 216 – Nick Allegretti, IOL (Illinois) Currently the backup IOL and 6th lineman for run blocking, ended up as a starter in 2020 when everyone on the OL died and was probably the most competent player in the the interior. Admittedly not saying much, but he retained a spot for 2021 and 2022 and most importantly scored a fat guy TD when the Chiefs danced on Big Ben's grave. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LMzztRor4M Pretty much an A+ for a 7th rounder

An odd draft overall due to the limited draft capital, but 5/6 draft picks are still on the roster and it feels like Veach learned valuable lessons from his mistakes here in the last couple of drafts. Hardman and Thornhill made meaningful contributions in winning a Super Bowl in their rookie seasons and Fenton and Allegretti ended up in starting roles the season afterwards.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
The Titans 2019 draft was arguably their best in modern history. Behold!!

Rd 1 BIG JEFF gets a solid A. He is the second best interior lineman in the league.

Rd 2 ARTHUR JUAN gets an A-. An incredible steal who instantly became the Titans best wr in like fifteen years. He has gimpy knees and also whined his way out of town after two amazing seasons and one decent one. Would be an A+ if we extended him but poo poo happens.

Rd 3 Nate Davis is an A-. He has room for improvement on last season but he came in as a rookie and was a starter and a great run blocker. For a third rounder that’s fantastic.

Rd 4 Amani hooker is a B+. He just had his best season yet and if you get a solid starter in the fourth round that’s awesome value.

Rd 5 Deandre Walker is an F. Total bust. poo poo happens.

Rd 6 David long is an A. He just played two dudes out of jobs last year. Dudes a stud especially for a sixth round pick.

This draft fucks

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Steelers

1. Devin Bush, ILB Michigan- loving megabust. Worst pick of the entire decade, a bigger bust than even Jarvis Jones or Artie Burns. Looked pretty good his rookie year, got hurt early in his second year, then last year was absolutely pathetic to watch on the field. Just playing scared, cowardly, and utterly incapable of shedding a block to save his life. A huge part of the awful run defense in the second half of the year. He's looked the exact same in preseason. Was supposed to be an athletic coverage backer but can't even do that well either. Made all the worse because they trade up in to the top 10 to pick this fuckin wolverine loser. F

3. Diontae Johnson, WR Toldeo- Really good. Has been incredibly productive, runs great routes, and makes circus catches. Unfortunately he can sometimes have real concentration lapses, but not enough to outweigh all the good he's done in a largely bad offense that can barely cater to his strengths. Just signed a nice new short term extension. Was one of the two picks gotten back for Antonio Brown and has done as good a job as could be expected of someone trying to replace him. A

3. Justin Layne, CB Michigan State- Terrible. Was too lovely to ever really even see the field on the Steelers, a team that in recent history has had lots of lovely CBs that did see the field. Would have been an alright special teams player if not for taking a penalty for every big play he made there. Got cut today and I doubt will get scooped up anywhere else. F

4. Benny Snell Football, RB Kentucky- I wanted more from Benny. I loved him a ton in college and he's had some shining moments of goodness, but not to the extent I was hoping for. He remains a decent backup RB on a team with no oline to speak of that also plays great special teams. Middle of the road here I guess. C

5. Zach Gentry, TE Michigan- The other pick that the Steelers got back for Antonio Brown. Was a big time project TE converted from QB in the hopes hat he could one day be a red zone threat. Basically redshirted his rookie year but since then has become a surprisingly competent blocker in all regards and last year started showing some actual real receiving capabilities too. A decent #2 TE overall. B

6. Sutton Smith, DE Northern Illinois- I'm pretty sure he led the FBS in sacks his senior year. They tried to have him split time between OLB and FB to find a roster spot for him. Never made the team. F

Isaiah Buggs, DT Alabama- Wasn't a particularly good player but provided some depth on the dline for a few years. I remember him having onbe really sick hero tackle in the red zone agaisnt Lamar Jackson. He was on the Lions this preseason I believe, not sure if he made it through cut downs or not. Also got in a fight in the sidelines with a teammate once. Overall not the worst for a 6th rounder C

Ulysses Gilbert, LB Akron- Good special teamer and showed some good stuff on the field, especially in coverage. Problem with him has been he's rarely on the field because it's been one major injury after another with him. Was in prime position to challenge Devin Bush for a starting job this year but got cut after yet another season ending injury. I hope he eventually catches on somewhere else. C-

Derwin Gray, OT Maryland- Wasn't very good and ended up getting cut and went elsewhere, I doubt he is still around. The Mike Tomlin-Maryland connection in this era has driven me completely loving insane and I desperately hope it is dead and over now with a new GM and his son transferring out of Maryland because he never saw any playing time. F

They had a real small udfa crop this year. They got a kicker who played a few games as an injury replacement for Boswell but stunk. Also got Fred Johnson, a guard from Florida who looked good but got cut before he deserved to and I think went to the Bengals.

The Antonio Brown replacement picks are pretty good. Most everything else is meh to loving god awful, including the worst first round bust of Kevin Colbert's tenure. lovely draft overall.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Bills

Round 1 (9 overall): DT Ed Oliver, Houston.
Great player but we've yet to see the mega breakout or even a Pro Bowl season. B+

Round 2 (38 overall): T Cody Ford, Oklahoma.
Was always bad. Just got flipped for a 5th somehow to Arizona. Literally NFL caliber. D-

Round 3 (74 overall): RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic.
Good not great starter. B

Round 3 (96 overall): TE Dawson Knox, Mississippi.
Toolsy guy that they actually developed into a good starter for a position that's near impossible to draft. A-

Round 5 (147 overall): LB Vosean Joseph, Florida.
I don't think he's on the team. D

Round 6 (181 overall): S Jaquan Johnson, Miami.
Hasn't played because Hyde and Poyer have been healthy but he looked pretty solid in preseason. B+

Round 7 (225 overall): DE Darryl Johnson, North Carolina A&T.
A 7th rounder that got flipped for a 6th. B+

Round 7 (228 overall): TE Tommy Sweeney, Boston College.
Made the roster over OJ Howard. Pretty JAG-y but literally a 7th rounder that gets meaningful snaps. C+

I'd give the draft class a B. Ford is the only big whiff. Oliver and Knox are both (hopefully) long-term pieces but neither one is transformational. Pretty solid late round picks, too.

aperion
May 15, 2007

i want to believe
Grimey Drawer
San Diego Los Angeles Chargers (I'll call them the San Diego Chargers for longer than some of these prospects will be on the team)

1.28 Jerry Tillery - DT
He never transitioned to the NFL level and is a massive liability in run coverage. Got his 5th year option declined. He's only on the team due to sunk cost. F

2.28 Nassir Adderly - S
Looked like poo poo to start, but has improved every year, with this past year looking pretty drat good. He's forestalled a make-or-break year to now, so he's got to prove he's worth keeping around. He's a great compliment to Derwin James, all in all. B-

3.27 Trey Pipkins - RT
He got the nod as the starting right tackle as of yesterday, beating out Storm Norton, which is not a high bar. He was seen as a developmental prospect, and that's exactly what we've seen. He has a very strong last few games of the 2021 season, and apparently has put in a lot of work over the offseason with Rashawn Slater to get good. We will see how he pans out this year. C, can go all the way to A+ if he actually develops as it's being hoped he has. But this is it to prove he's the long-term answer at RT.

4.28 Drue Tranquil - OLB
Has been good, and is a starter at one of the weakest position on defense for the team. Despite damning him with faint praise, he's still a starter in the league. B-

5.28 Easton Stick - QB
Okay, I have no idea how to grade a permanent backup QB. He's still on the team behind Chase Daniel. He's never started a regular season game and with hope never will. What the gently caress do I do with this information? F, I guess.

6.27 Emeke Egbule - OLB/DE
He was bad at linebacker, was transitioned to defensive end where he was slightly less bad. He was cut as of a day or two ago. D

7.28 Cortez Broughton - DT
Another one who was cut this year I think. He was perennial practice squad guy who never made it onto the main roster and he wasn't picked up this year. Welp. F

Overall

C, this was one of the weaker drafts the Chargers had in recent memory, mostly because no one's really a major stand-out and those who are starting on the team have to prove they can be The Guy at their position this year. Nassir Adderly, Trey Pipkins, and Drue Tranquil have real shots to sticking around for a second contract with the team. Everyone else including Jerry Tillery, their first round pick, likely won't be sticking around after this year. Thankfully, this wasn't 2014 bad.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Minnesota Vikings

Round 1, Pick 18: Garrett Bradbury, C, NC State

We desperately needed a center and got Bradbury who profiled as a smaller center who would excel in a zone blocking scheme, which he did! Unfortunately he cannot pass block a DT who is stronger than him to save his life which is important. 5th year option not picked up this year because obviously. Grade D+

Round 2, Pick 50: Irv Smith Jr., TE, Alabama

The TE that was supposed to take over for Kyle Rudolph. So far he has been more potential than production as he was supposed to take over last year but suffered a menisicus tear in his knee in preseason and missed the whole year. He has then missed all of this preseason with a thumb injury that required surgery. He is slated to come back for week 1 so we will see how he does. Grade INC

Round 3, Pick 102: Alexander Mattison, RB, Boise State

A solid enough backup RB for the 2 games a year that Dalvin Cook is out with injury. Reports that teams were inquiring about a trade amounted to not much. The kind of back that if he was 1st on the depth chart would put up decent numbers depending on how many touches he got. Grade C

Round 4, Pick 114: Dru Samia, OG, Oklahoma

Absolutely terrible as a guard. Even as a 4th round pick. Rick's inability to draft iOL strikes again. Grade F

Round 5, Pick 162: Cameron Smith, LB, USC

Special teams player who never really cracked the starting roster. Announced his retirement after recovering from a congenital heart defect that was discovered after he tested positive for COVID. Grade C

Round 6, Pick 190: Armon Watts, DT, Arkansas

Showed some talent and potential as a DT as a rotational piece over the past few years. A surprising cut this week as rosters were trimmed down. Now on the Bears. Grade B

Round 6, Pick 191: Marcus Epps, S, Wyoming

Primarily a special teams player. Was waived to bring back Andrew "The Human Unnecessary Roughness Penalty" Sendejo in 2020. Grade D

Round 6, Pick 193: Oli Udoh, OT, Elon

Another bad bad offensive lineman. Still on the team as a depth piece. Started at RG last year for a number of games. PFF graded him as a 54.4 overall. Lead the league in penalties as an OG, only gave up 1 sack, but also a ton of pressures. This far down in the draft a rotational emergency fill in isnt awful for a draft pick.

Grade C-

Round 7, Pick 217: Kris Boyd, CB, Texas

A player who was a fan favorite, was slotted in as a rotational piece but never really found consistent playing time. Was a liability in coverage, and known to rack up penalties. Was famously listed ahead of Cameron Dantzler on the depth chart when Zimmer was upset with Dantzler but lost that post pretty quickly. Grade D+

Round 7, Pick 239: Dillon Mitchell, WR, Oregon

WR who never cracked the starting roster. Grade D

Round 7, Pick 247: Bisi Johnson, WR, Colorado State

A rotational 3rd WR behind Diggs/Jefferson and Thielen. Has had moments of production but fell behind Osbourne for slot receiver last year before tearing his ACL. Out for the season now after tearing the ACL in his other knee. :( Grade B-

Round 7, Pick 250: Austin Cutting, LS, Air Force

Was our starting LS for a few years. I mean a good LS. Now unsigned as MN's long snapper is Kevin McDermott. Cant argue with a good starter at 250 overall I guess? Grade B

Overall Grade: D-
Rick's drafting over the last few years of his time as GM were pretty abysmal, and this draft is a good example. Miss at the top of the draft, trading back a lot for players that at best are rotational pieces or average to below average depth. And really only having "hits" on 1 for sure player in an average RB in Mattison and maybe with Irv Smith Jr. Ultimately Rick had a lot of trouble drafting iOL, and with his 5th year option not being picked up this is likely Bradbury's last year in MN.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I am definitely not as knowledgeable about players as a lot of you guys, but I am up early, feeling posty, and will give it a shot: The San Francisco 49ers of Santa Clara.

1.2 (2) Nick Bosa - DT
DROTY and made the pro-bowl both years he has had an intact ACL. With the second overall pick the goal is not to screw it up, and they didn't. A+

2.4 (36) Deebo Samuel - WR
Looked promising as a rookie, but that was mostly forgotten about with an uninspiring second season that was shortened by injury. Already a YAC monster having a good year as WR in 2021, a bunch of RB injuries meant he got utilized as an RB frequently, which he also excelled at, making a nice highlight real of a bunch of 20+ yard TD runs. He also is the founding member of a new position called "Wide Back". Made 1st team all pro in 2021. Caused some offseason drama but then got signed. A+

3.3 (67) Jalen Hurd - WR
Looked good in the preseason, managed to get a season ending injury for 3 straight years before the season started before finally getting cut. He never played a down in a real game. F

4.8 (110) Mitch Wishnowsky - P
Traded back a few spots and managed to grab two 6th rounders from the Bengals while swapping 4ths. The 4th seems pretty early to grab a punter, but he is still their punter so I guess that is good. C

5.10 (148) Dre Greenlaw - LB
Has been a solid starter, which is a bonus for a 5th round pick. A

6.3 (176) Kaden Smith - TE
I don't remember who this is, so I am guessing he did not do too much. F

6.10 (183) Justin Skule - OT
Was a backup for 2 years, then got injured his 3rd year. The 49ers just waived him two days ago. C-

6.25 (198) Tim Harris - CB
I knew someone named Tim Harris in high school, but it was not this one since I had to look him up to remember who he was. Was on the IR in 2019, was a practice squad guy in 2020, was waived in 2021 by the 49ers and took a tour of the most scenic parts of America, getting signed and waived by Buffalo, Cleveland, and then Buffalo again. I don't think he is on a roster right now. Grading on a curve for the late pick: D-

Overall: A. Two pro-bowlers is enough to give a team a solid A, but they also got a solid starter, a punter, and two years of a backup.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Sep 2, 2022

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Oh man I love these threads

2nd Round - 61st Overall - Taylor Rapp - S
The Rams actually had a 1st round pick in 2019 but instead chose to trade down and pick Rapp in the 2nd round. He's had a pretty up and down career his first three seasons but has started 32 games and picked up 7 interceptions. He's a not as bad as some Rams fans think he is but not an all-star either. Just a good role guy that fits into the Rams safety rotation.
Grade - B

3rd Round - 70th Overall - Darrell Henderson - RB
Another weird pick to grade because when Henderson was picked he was going to be a speedy, change of pace back to spell Todd Gurley when he needed a rest and Gurley ended up getting released after 2019 and Henderson got into the mix to be the starter. He's too small to be a full-time back but has 1800 yards and 14 touchdowns from scrimmage. Another good solid role guy.
Grade - B+

3rd Round - 79th Overall - David Long - CB
Kind of a disappointment so far, was surprised by undrafted guys like Troy Hill and Darious Williams over the first 3 seasons of his career. He's always in the mix in the secondary but doesn't play well enough to warrant starting snaps.
Grade - C

3rd Round - 97th Overall - Bobby Evans - OL
The nicest thing I can say about Bobby Evans is that he's still on the roster somehow. He always looked over matched in pre-season and looked lost the 7 games he got to start in his rookie season.
Grade - D

4th Round - 134th Overall - Greg Gaines - DT
Was disappointing for his first two seasons but that was more because the emergence of Sebastian Joseph-Day meant there wasn't a lot of snaps to go around. When SJD got hurt last season he stepped in as the starter at Nose Tackle and the Rams never looked back. Really helped shore up the Rams run defense later in the season and in the players and had some chops as a push the pocket pass rush type of guy as well. Great 4th round pick.
Grade - A+

5th Round - 169th Overall - David Edwards - OG
Started 41 of a possible 49 games in his career and has held down the Rams starting right guard spot well for 3 years. More than you could ever as for from a 5th round pick.
Grade - A+++

7th Round - 243rd Overall - Nick Scott - S
Excellent special teams guy, got into the mix at safety last season as well. Again does everything and more you could ask for a guy drafted in the 7th round.
Grade - A+

7th Round - 251st Overall - Dakota Allen - LB
Got cut in the final roster cut down, caught on with the Jaguars and seems to be an okay backup there? They had a couple UDFAs they kept on instead.
Grade - F

Notable UDFAs
TE Kendall Blanton - Caught a touchdown in the Tampa Bay playoff game last year. Got cut during training camp this year and is floating around the league.
G Chandler Brewer - Has bounced between the roster and practice squad since 2019 but has stuck around as depth.
DT Marquise Copeland - Same as Brewer, has stuck around since 2019. Will probably get into the D-Line rotation this year.
LB Troy Reeder - Played a lot of football for the Rams the last 3 years. Was really solid at times and really bad at others, incredibly smart player but just didn't have the athleticism to keep up with teams that knew how to pick on him.

Overall I wish they would have gotten more out of their 2nd and 3rd round picks but given the draft position and who was available it's fine. Probably like a B overall draft.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Bears

First Round - Traded for Khalil Mack - Edge
Tough one to put a grade on. He was great when he wasn't hurt, which wasn't often. Granted, spending 2 firsts on a HOF edge rusher just coming off his prime is all predicated on Mitch being "the guy", and a lot of people will be quick to remind you that a lot of Football people thought Mitch was the best prospect in that draft. Even if the Bears failed to even win a playoff game while he was here, I still think it was the right move.
Grade - A-

Second Round - Traded in 2018 to move up for Anthony Miller - WR
He spent his whole career across from Allen Robinson, and was one of those "this guy is poised to take it to the next level" players every season. I mostly remember Mitch sailing go balls over his head every week. He started every game but never even got close to a 1000 yard season. He got kicked out of a game for punching a Saints DB in the head, and the team traded him before the end of the season. Better luck elsewhere. Terrible trade for a bad player.
Grade - D

Third Round - David Montgomery - RB
Solid, totally serviceable, average NFL starter talent, right in the 10-16 range. People liked to say that Pace did his best work in the mid rounds of drafts but that's only because he sucked in the other rounds. The Bears seem to think his backup Khalil Herbert is good enough to replace him, and he's a contract year so don't be surprised if he ends up walking.
Grade - B

Fourth Round - Riley Ridley - WR
Calvin Ridley's brother. He wasn't very good, and bounced around at the bottom of the roster and practice squad. Caught 12 passes in his NFL career and hasn't played since he was cut in 2021.
Grade - F

Fifth Round - Also traded in 2018 to move up for Anthony Miller - WR
I wonder why this roster sucks so much right now and they have no talent or depth
Grade - D

Sixth Round - Duke Shelley - CB
He was an ok backup and special teamer. The Bears just cut him though, and given how dogcrap the roster is, maybe it's not a sign of confidence.
Grade - C-

Seventh Round - Kerrith Whyte Jr - RB
Who?
Grade - F

Seventh Round - Stephen Denmark - CB
Who?
Grade - F

Overall - D+
Another stinker draft from Ryan Pace, indicative of his tenure. Trading away early round picks like a team ramping up for a Super Bowl run, with a roster more suited to an 8-8 finish and a couple weeks excitement at the possibility of making a wild card game. By the end of this season I was ready for Pace, Nagy and Mitch to all be gone, it just took ownership 3 more years to figure that out themselves.

GNU Order fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 2, 2022

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Jesus christ

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Paint Crop Pro posted:

Minnesota Vikings

Overall Grade: D-
Rick's drafting over the last few years of his time as GM were pretty abysmal, and this draft is a good example. Miss at the top of the draft, trading back a lot for players that at best are rotational pieces or average to below average depth. And really only having "hits" on 1 for sure player in an average RB in Mattison and maybe with Irv Smith Jr. Ultimately Rick had a lot of trouble drafting iOL, and with his 5th year option not being picked up this is likely Bradbury's last year in MN.

I know Zimmer got flak for being a crankybutt in the last few years. When you look at what Spielmann was giving him to work with it seems somewhat justified.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Darth Brooks posted:

I know Zimmer got flak for being a crankybutt in the last few years. When you look at what Spielmann was giving him to work with it seems somewhat justified.

Yeah their falling out is pretty justified as Rick whiffed on a quite a few players which destroyed any real depth the team had.

2020 was a very good draft, but then you look at 2021 and oof.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
Detroit Lions

After finishing a disappointing 6-10 in Matt Patricia's first year as head coach, the Lions were looking to fill a number of holes in their roster. Together with general manager Bob Quin, Patricia sought to recreate the Patriot Way in Detroit, and that meant bringing in players who could adapt to Patricia's very specific system and demanding coaching style. As a result, in free agency Detroit went wild, signing New England veterans like WR Danny Amendola (1 year / $5.75 million), CB Justin Coleman (4 years / $36 million), and DE Trey Flowers (5 years / $90 million). The draft was a similar story—Patricia was looking to win, and win now—so the team prioritized players that could quickly slot in and contribute. With the departure of TJ Lang and Glover Quin to retirement, and Ziggy Ansah leaving in free agency, the Lions also needed fresh blood in the secondary and on both lines.

So how'd they do?

TOP NEEDS: Cornerback, Safety, Guard, EDGE

Round 1, Pick 8 - TE T.J. Hockenson, Iowa
Current status: Starter

After previously drafting Eric Ebron 10th overall in 2014, many Lions fans (including myself) were wary about drafting a tight end in the first round. In his very first game, Hockenson assuaged those fears by catching six passes for 131 yards, the best-ever debut for a rookie tight end. With only a single start behind his belt, Hockenson was poised to become the next big breakout star.

...And then, he didn't, and that 131 yard mark remains TJ's peak single-game total. Though advertised as a "matchup nightmare," Hock has rarely played up to his full potential. He's still good, don't get me wrong—but he's not the all-pro some predicted him to be. To be fair, Hock has also struggled from often being the Lions' only offensive weapon on the field, and he was additionally limited by injury last year. There is still a chance that he may still have a breakout season this year—but going back to 2019, in a year where the Lions had plenty of significant needs, Tight End was a luxury pick they simply could not afford. Grade: C+

Pro bowl players drafted before next selection: DE Brian Burns, DT Jeffery Simmons, RB Josh Jacobs, WR Deebo Samuel

Round 2, Pick 11 (43 overall) - LB Jahlani Tavai, Hawaii:
Current Status: Cut from Lions before start of 2021 season, now on New England's practice squad

When asked to find the worst pick of the Bob Quin era, Tavai stands head and shoulders above the rest. There were other busts—2nd round corner Teez Tabor stands out in particular. But Tabor was at least a common 2nd round mock—Nobody saw Tavai going this early. Most analysts had the linebacker from Hawaii going somewhere in the 4th or 5th round, a late 3rd rounder at best. But a 2nd round pick? With players like Greedy Williams, Miles Sanders, and DK Metcalf still on the board? Was Bob Quinn really seeing something the rest of the NFL wasn't? Was he really such a perfect fit for Patricia's system that the team had to have him?

It turned out, no. Tavai quickly became known as a liability on the field, struggling constantly. To be fair, playing in Patricia's nonsensical garbage system did him no favors—but even after Patricia was fired and Dan Campbell came on, it didn't take long for Tavai to be cut. Grade: F-

Pro bowl players drafted before next selection: C Elgton Jenkins, WR A. J. Brown, WR Mecole Hardman, WR DK Metcalf, WR Diontae Johnson

Round 3, Pick 18 (81 overall) - DB Will Harris, Boston College
Current status: CB3 behind Jeff Okudah and Amani Oruwariye

If there's one player from this draft that almost every Lions player knows, it's Will Harris. Mostly because they're screaming his name as he fails to defend yet another pass.

In his rookie year, Harris was set up as a backup safety behind veteran Quandre Diggs and second-year starter Tracey Walker. Then, in one of the prior administration's greatest brain-genius moves, they traded Diggs to Seattle for peanuts under the assumption that they'd be just fine with Walker and Harris. Then Walker got injured shortly thereafter, and Harris was exposed as the rookie he was. Since then, Harris has gotten slightly better, but has continued to struggle—especially in pass coverage. Last year, he showed some improvement after being moved to cornerback, and this year will be starting at that position full time. Grade: C

Pro bowl players drafted before next selection: DE Maxx Crosby

Round 4, Pick 15 (117 overall) - DE Austin Bryant, Clemson
Current status: Rotational player

During his first two seasons Bryant struggled with injury, only playing 10 games total. Last year Bryant started to look a lot better, playing 14 games, starting 5, and earning 4.5 sacks. Training camp reports indicate that he may continue his upward swing, which would be good news for a team that's lacked pressure from the edge since the Obama administration. Grade: C+

Pro bowl players drafted before next selection: K Matt Gay

Round 5, Pick 8 (146 overall) - CB Amani Oruwariye, Penn State
Current status: CB1

On any other team, Amani would be a strong CB2. Unfortunately, since Darius Slay was traded to Philadelphia, Amani has been forced to play as the team's top corner. Given the circumstances, he's done pretty well, growing as a player each season he's been in the league. Last year, he even managed to snag 6 interceptions, good for third-best in the league. Unfortunately, against top-tier WRs, he's outmatched—not that it matters when half the time he's starting alongside a parade of UDFAs. Grade: A-

Pro bowl players drafted before next selection: WR Hunter Renfrow, P Jake Bailey

Round 6, Pick 11 (184 overall) - WR Travis Fulgham, Old Dominion
Current status: Waived before 2020 season. Currently on Green Bay practice squad.

With no players signed beyond 2020, and a massive gulf in talent WR2 and WR3, the Lions needed to draft a receiver. Unfortunately, in a year that was absolutely stacked with pro-bowl talent, they waited until the 6th round to address one of their most pressing needs. The results were predictable: Forced by necessity onto the field, Fulgham played 14 games, started 3, and was targeted 3 times for no receptions. He did a lot better for Philadelphia the next season, but that doesn't do anything to chance this grade from a D-

Round 6, Pick 13 (186 overall) - RB Ty Johnson, Maryland
'Current status: Waived before 2020 season, now RB3 on the Jets

Like Fulgham, Ty Johnson was forced to start due to injuries, but unlike Fulgham Johnson actually made something more of the opportunity he was given, rushing for 273 yards on 63 carries. Then the Lions drafted DeAndre Swift and Ty got shoved off the depth chart. Grade: D+

Round 7, Pick 10 (224 overall) - TE Isaac Nauta, Georgia
Current status: Waived during 2020 season, out of league since 2021

Played a handful of games, mostly bounced between the active roster and practice squad. Grade: C

Round 7, Pick 15 (229 overall) - DT PJ Johnson, Arizona
Current status: Waived before 2019 season, out of league since March 2022

I don't remember this person in the slightest. Grade: D-

Analysis: 2019 was in many ways the high water mark of the Bob Quinn/Matt Patricia era in Detroit. Starting 3-0-1, for a scant few weeks it appeared that the Lions might be able to make something of the season. Unfortunately, they wouldn't win a single other game. Was it because of this draft, where Quinn absolutely failed to address the gaping hole at right guard, an absence that may have contributed to Stafford's season-ending back injury? Was it because they waited until the 6th round to draft a receiver in a year filled with talent? Was it because they drafted Tavai over literally any other player? Or was it all because Patricia was just a terrible coach?

Ultimately, these answers are known only to the Football Gods. But what we do know is that in terms of stocking the team with talent that could help the team Win Now, this was an absolutely atrocious draft. Hock was the only player who was able to contribute significantly his first year, with every other rookie player being mediocre at best. Ultimately a few other players would develop into serviceable talent, but two starters and some rotational pieces does not a playoff roster make. FINAL GRADE: D+

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 3, 2022

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
MIA

1st DT Christian Wilkins- I thought he was kind of a lame high-floor, low-ceiling pick for as high as he went and didn't have the upside of the other guys in the class. I think to some extent that's true, but he's one of the most well-rounded DTs in the NFL right now and I think while Simmons/Oliver are better pass rushes their being garbage-tier run defenders actually matters. Wilkins is able to do everything pretty well- down to two-gapping at NT, playing DE blitz packages, even coverage and playing on offense occasionally. He isn't a great player, though, so B

3rd G Michael Deiter- He's not very good. His physical talents are modest, but his intangibles and technical skill are OK- which I think is why he ended up getting moved to Center. Not sure he'd be on the team at this point if he wasn't that high of a pick, but he isn't quite a disaster-level starter either D

5th OLB Andrew Van Ginkel- He's a nice find in the 5th round. He's a good all-around 3-4 OLB, a candidate to be the next Harold Landry or Leonard Floyd, solid starters who fell dick-first into better productivity than their talents indicate and got a big paycheck out of it. There's probably a cautionary tale here, but it's a great pick for the spot A

6th OT Isaiah Prince- The player is good for the 6th round- he had some very serviceable starts at LT last year(and some bad ones at RT later)... the problem here being that they were for the Bengals. You drafted a guy whose technique was weird, cut him after a year and he went on to be a solid back-up for someone else while you fielded some real poo poo at OT last yearB+ player, D- decision-making overall

7th FB Chandler Cox- You drafted a lovely Gus Malzahn H-Back with Alec Ingold on board, not high stakes but you outsmarted yourself in an embarrassing way especially after you ended up signing Ingold later. F

7th RB Myles Gaskin- Gaskin is a solid rotational/3rd down back who isn't quite talented enough to deal with the poo poo situations you put him in as a bell-cow behind bad blocking schemes at both the X's and O's and talent level. It's a good pick for the 7th round, and I'm glad it looks like he'll get a chance with Miami in a better situation B

UDFA CB Nik Needham- He's a good depth DB. Gets in over his head in some match-ups if you start him, but he's a tenacious, tough player who has flashes of talent. If this were 2006 and everyone was playing the Tampa-2 he'd probably be regarded as a pretty solid starter, but alas. A

UDFA WR Preston Williams- He showed flashes early on and looked extremely promising, but he's constantly hurt and apparently has a poo poo attitude. He just got cut. B I GUESS?

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
gently caress it I'll do Cleveland because I know fuckall else. After crushing 2018 John Dorsey went into the offseason to build around the promising Baker Mayfield with newly minted head coach Freddie Kitchens taking the helm. The Factory of Sadness looked like it might be getting torn down and the stocks of hope were at a 19 year high.

1.17: Traded for OBJ lol

2.46: Greedy Williams CB: oft injured but ok when he's healthy. He'll likely stick around the league as a perfectly good CB2.

3.80 Sione Takitaki LB: The Dorsey Special of this draft. I guess he was meant to be a hybrid. He's small and gets coverage snaps. A very whatever player who has managed to hang around by not being a disaster at a position of need that the nerds don't spend on.

4:119 Sheldrick Redwine S: Garbage so bad that he was cut from the Jets practice squad in 2021. Out of the league

5.155 Mack Wilson LB: Alabama linebacker who was considered perfectly mediocre at the time. An absolute disaster that managed to stick around because the nerds hate putting assets into linebackers. He's with the patriots now so I expect he's going all pro this year.

5.170 Austin Seibert K: Cut after week 1 lol

6.189 Drew Forbes G: Had a bunch of articles written about him as "Prospect X" a supposed highly coveted late rounder before the draft. Was supposed to compete with Wyatt Teller for the RG spot but sat out COVID year and Wyatt went All Pro. Out of the league.

7.221 Donnie Lewis Jr. CB: :shrug:

Notable UDFA Jamie Gillian aka The Scottish Hammer: fantastic rookie season followed by drinking himself into getting cut. Like pissing himself in bars drunk levels. Hope he got clean dude was fun

Final Grade: LMAO

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
My take away is that this was a meh class. Excited for next year's thread tho.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
Dave Gettleman: Year 2. Oh boy...

New York Football Giants

1st Round, Pick 6: QB Daniel Jones: Sigh... Where do we start with this? If I want to be generous, Jones has shown flashes. He can make good throws, but they'll be sandwiched between ones that go into the dirt at receivers feet. He's athletic and can run very well, particularly on designed QB run plays, but has poor instincts and can't really scramble or extend plays. He has poo poo pocket awareness and takes sacks and fumbles a ton, but some of that was also on an offensive line that still sucks and other issues. He's the sort of QB that you could probably turn into a deadly player in Madden, but in real life is less than the sum of his parts. Now, how much of that is due to Jones himself and how much is due to coaching is the big question. As a rookie, he looked kinda okay with Pat Shurmur as coach and showed some promise. The last two seasons, under Joe Judge and Jason Garrett, he was utter poo poo, but so was basically everyone on the Giants, particularly on the offensive side. The team declined his 5th year option, so he's now going into a make or break 2022. If he's good, he'll get paid, and maybe have a career resurgence like Alex Smith did, which right now seems like the unlikely best case scenario. If he sucks, he's either gone or taking a massive paycut. I don't know how much blame to put entirely on Jones. He was also over drafted, since the Gettleman liked how he looked at Senior Bowl practices and he looks like a long lost Manning family cousin. He wore #17 at Duke and gave Giants fans PTSD flashbacks of Dave Brown from the 90s. Now on his third coach, maybe things will turn around? But for now, for a 6th overall pick, this was a big disappointment, but not entirely on him.
Grade: D+ Players taken in the next few picks: OLB Josh Allen, DT Ed Oliver.

1st Round, Pick 17: DT Dexter Lawrence: The Giants got this pick from Cleveland as part of the Odell Beckham Jr trade. I didn't like the trade because it felt like Gettleman and the owners being stodgy old white guys, and OBJ had been good the year before. Lawrence was viewed as a solid pick at the time, and he's been okay but nothing really special, and hasn't stood out all that much. He once cost the team a game against Washington when he jumped offsides, allowing them to rekick a field goal they'd missed. I'd hope for more out of a 1st round pick, but they have picked up his 5th year option, so we'll see if maybe he improves into a real game changer.
Grade: C- DT Jeffrey Simmons was taken two picks later.

1st Round, Pick 30: CB Deandre Baker: Baker had one largely forgettable season with the Giants. He started most of the season, didn't get any picks, I think he may have had a few bad PI calls or plays he gave up, not really sure. The Giants waived him just prior to the 2020 season as a result of an arrest and charges for robbery and assault, only for all charges to be dropped when it turned out it there was some shady stuff with the people claiming it was Baker? Whatever, it was some weird poo poo. He appeared in ten games for Kansas City over the last two seasons and didn't do much for them either.
Grade: F WR Deebo Samuel was taken 6 picks later in the 2nd round.

3rd Round, Pick 95: LB Oshane Ximines: The only player in NFL history so far whose last name begins with an X! As a rookie, he appeared in every game and had 4.5 sacks on limited playing time and seemed like he might be a rotational piece going forward. Instead, he's only appeared in 14 games since, after getting hurt early his second year and being given fewer and fewer snaps since, with no sacks to show for it. Not what you'd want from a 3rd round pick.
Grade: D- TE Dawson Knox was the next pick, with S C.J. Gardner-Johnson and DE Maxx Crosby going within the next 10.

4th Round, Pick 108: CB Julian Love: He's appeared in all but one game since being drafted, mostly as a depth guy. He has two picks, both off Trubisky. I can't recall him being anything special, but I also can't recall him being terrible either. For a 4th rounder, that's not awful.
Grade: C Only players to go soon after him whose names I recognize are P Mitch Wishnowsky and S Amani Hooker.

5th Round, Pick 143: LB Ryan Connelly: As a rookie, got in as a starter quickly, and had interceptions in back to back games. In those first four games, he looked like he might be a find for the team, then literally minutes later he tore his ACL. The Giants cut him the following year, and he's spent two years on Minnesota's depth chart with only a handful of tackles to show for it. Oh well.
Grade: D+ An early 5th round pick isn't much to get upset over, but K Matt Gay, LB Dre Greenlaw, and WR Hunter Renfrow all went in the next 6 picks, and the latter two particularly could have been useful.

5th Round, Pick 171: WR Darius Slayton: As a rookie, Slayton looks kinda good with 48 catches, 740 yards and 8 TD, so he seemed like a piece the team could use going forward. His second year was mostly the same, 50 catches for 751 yards and 3 TD. Last year, with the offense utterly imploding, his numbers dropped significantly (26 catches, 339 yards, 2 TD). I can't blame him entirely for that, see Joe Judge and Jason Garrett, so there may still be hope he can be a good part and develop into something. Those first two seasons are decent return for a 5th round compensatory pick.
Grade: C+ I won't complain this one, but Gardner Minshew did go 7 picks later.

6th Round, Pick 180: CB Corey Ballentine: I have no real memory of him. Barely played as a rookie, waived midway through his second season, has since spent time with, and been waved by, the Jets, Lions, and Falcons. You'd maybe hope to get a role player or some depth, or simply something more from an early 6th round pick, but also, it's the 6th, so meh.
Grade: D- It's the 6th, everyone is taking shots in the dark at this point, so who cares who came after?.

7th Round, Pick 232: T George Asafo-Adjei: Got a concussion and never ended up on another roster.
Grade: D 7th round pick, getting anything out of it would have been a win.

7th Round, Pick 245: DT Chris Slayton: Spent a year on the practice squad then got waived. Never got in a game for the Giants, or the five other teams he has since spent time on the practice squad with.
Grade: D Late 7th before compensatory picks, getting a year of practice squad is usually as good as it gets.

Overall Grade: D - Three 1st round picks gets one okay DT and a highly questionable QB, the other seven picks get one depth DB, a maybe okay WR, and a whole lot of bleh.

The Giants finished that season 4-12, and then Gettleman decided the best thing to do to help develop their young QB was hire Joe Judge and Jason Garrett :suicide:

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 3, 2022

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It's not getting talked about right now but 2019 could go down as one of the all-time worst QB classes. Take away Kyler and it's worse than 2013.

Look at this loving list :barf:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

drat shame that Easton Stick didn't work out

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Alaois posted:

drat shame that Easton Stick didn't work out

He's bad and I don't know why he's still on the team other than he's Herbert's friend

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

a neat cape posted:

He's bad and I don't know why he's still on the team other than he's Herbert's friend

maybe the coaches are also like "whoa check out this guy, his name is Easton Stick, thats crazy"

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

haskins could have been one of the cool and fun backups eventually

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Benne posted:

It's not getting talked about right now but 2019 could go down as one of the all-time worst QB classes. Take away Kyler and it's worse than 2013.

Look at this loving list :barf:

You're selling 2013 short. Even arbitrarily putting Kyler aside, Daniel Jones, Gardner Minshew, and maybe even Trace McSorley are better than the totality of this class. Only Geno drat Smith belongs in the conversation.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Wanna see the extensive Geno Smith vs Daniel Jones comparison writeup.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
2007 was pretty dire for QBs too

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fsif posted:

You're selling 2013 short. Even arbitrarily putting Kyler aside, Daniel Jones, Gardner Minshew, and maybe even Trace McSorley are better than the totality of this class. Only Geno drat Smith belongs in the conversation.

1996 is calling

Only registered members can see post attachments!

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Alaois posted:

1996 is calling

Danny Kanell had one year with the Giants where he replaced Dave Brown, went 7-2-1 with meh numbers to get them into the playoffs where the Giants blew a lead against the Vikings, and then he went 3-11 for the rest of his career.

This has been your random moment of Danny Kanell facts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Detroit Lions
So how'd they do?

TOP NEEDS: Cornerback, Safety, Guard, EDGE

Round 1, Pick 8 - TE T.J. Hockenson, Iowa
Current status: Starter

After previously drafting Eric Ebron 10th overall in 2014, many Lions fans (including myself) were wary about drafting a tight end in the first round. In his very first game, Hockenson assuaged those fears by catching six passes for 131 yards, the best-ever debut for a rookie tight end. With only a single start behind his belt, Hockenson was poised to become the next big breakout star.

...And then, he didn't, and that 131 yard mark remains TJ's peak single-game total. Though advertised as a "matchup nightmare," Hock has rarely played up to his full potential. He's still good, don't get me wrong—but he's not the all-pro some predicted him to be. To be fair, Hock has also struggled from often being the Lions' only offensive weapon on the field, and he was additionally limited by injury last year. There is still a chance that he may still have a breakout season this year—but going back to 2019, in a year where the Lions had plenty of significant needs, Tight End was a luxury pick they simply could not afford. Grade: C+

Pro bowl players drafted before next selection: DE Brian Burns, DT Jeffery Simmons, RB Josh Jacobs, WR Deebo Samuel

I remember spending like several weeks that offseason stumping for the Packers to draft Hockenson. I'm still kinda salty that the Lions snapped him up before we could, even if Gary has turned out well. I think Hock would've done great in the Packers offense. The Lions offense this season looks much better-stocked, maybe he can get something going now that he's not going to be the primary focus of defenses.