Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

VideoGames posted:

Tonight was a very good FFX session! I faced Yunalesca for the first time and thanks to a bit of luck and some actual planning I managed to beat them on my first go !!

I also got the coolest summon Anima, and used them to beat all of Belgemines challenges!

One of my theories turned out to be true and I pretty much love everything about this game :)

Bullshit. Kid me was stumped on that boss and forced me to go to Gamefaqs, I demand you get stuck on it too /s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Kerrzhe posted:

they're good

Stiff and wordy

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I like that I'm in all the cutscenes (fist palm emote)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

Stiff and wordy

better than no cutscenes at all

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Ah… but is it?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
if the cutscenes are bad in the story heavy MMO why'd it win GOTY here so often? Seems strange

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

All cutscene budget in FFXIV went to Hildibrand.

Like no joke, they use those quests to try out cutscene stuff and then introduce it to the MSQ later.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
jay rust has just decided to spend dozens or hundreds of hours in a game he doesn't like while insisting he likes it and then complaining endlessly, rather than doing anything else

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I like the story and characters, just not how it’s told! Are the cutscenes not stiff and wordy to you?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

I like the story and characters, just not how it’s told! Are the cutscenes not stiff and wordy to you?

they're not particularly stiff past ARR, and even in ARR it's no more stiff than any other JRPG. It's just dialogue boxes over images of the characters talking, just like basically every other game in the genre, and even that fades over time and each expansion the camera becomes more dynamic and more motion is worked into the cutscenes

it's wordy but like, that's not a negative? I'm here to read words. That's what a cutscene, is. I'd be annoyed if there was suddenly a wordy scene in a middle of a mostly cutscene-free game (e.g., doom 2016) but not when what I'm here for is the words

The reason I find it so hard to believe you actually enjoy it is that like, you're not ever coming off of a cool part and coming in to go "dang this thing I just did was so cool!" and then maybe a second paragraph where you say how the coolness was mixed in with annoyances. You just post hundreds of words about how badly it all sucks while insisting you like it lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I do use this thread mostly to vent about stuff I don’t like instead of expressing the stuff I do like, it’s probably annoying and sorry if it is

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

But

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

All cutscene budget in FFXIV went to Hildibrand.

Like no joke, they use those quests to try out cutscene stuff and then introduce it to the MSQ later.

Definitely got that vibe when i started Hildebrand. There was just so much stuff they did with like, silly animations and loving with facial expressions that it felt like kind of a tech demo

I mean that in a good way mind you, the Hildebrand quests rule

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don’t think it’s a genre thing, Ffxiv is way, way, way, wordier than any previous ff, I’m pretty sure

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Kerrzhe posted:

better than no cutscenes at all

no, not at all. would rather just read the words actually than watch emotionless elf models do the same emote 5000 times.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

I do use this thread mostly to vent about stuff I don’t like instead of expressing the stuff I do like, it’s probably annoying and sorry if it is

sorry for going off so hard on you, it is annoying but it's not really so bad it deserved how aggro I got, I could have been a lot kinder while expressing my annoyance

I will endeavor to post with more joy in my heart

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

I don’t think it’s a genre thing, Ffxiv is way, way, way, wordier than any previous ff, I’m pretty sure

oh yeah the genre thing was specifically stiffness. the words are ff14 specifically but again I don't think words are a weakness

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

it isnt. ff14 gamers are simply very touchy about their game and any faults in it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I was born and molded into janky anime cutscenes. ffxiv didn't even register as unusual

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I really like the intro cinematic to Shenmue II
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztyjtiQHLt4

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

cheetah7071 posted:

I was born and molded into janky anime cutscenes. ffxiv didn't even register as unusual

ff14 has a much higher number of completely worthless cutscenes than any other jrpg. lots of really minor times it cuts to a cutscene to do nothing at all and say nothing at all.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Stux posted:

ff14 has a much higher number of completely worthless cutscenes than any other jrpg. lots of really minor times it cuts to a cutscene to do nothing at all and say nothing at all.

Cool, tell me of an MMO without a hundred filler cutscenes so devs aren't dead from making content every 4 months. Go on.

Nobody would deny FFXIV would be much much better storywise if it could cut out the fluff as a single player game, but at the same time it'd miss some of the things it can do as an MMO.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Maybe MMOs are just inherently trash

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I think we can all agree that FFXIV has a lot of clicking.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Stux posted:

they should put out persona games faster so there is some competition

hatty posted:

Maybe MMOs are just inherently trash

nah

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cool, tell me of an MMO without a hundred filler cutscenes so devs aren't dead from making content every 4 months. Go on.

Nobody would deny FFXIV would be much much better storywise if it could cut out the fluff as a single player game, but at the same time it'd miss some of the things it can do as an MMO.

like all of them. ff14 is actually really unique in stuffing in so many minor cutscenes throughout the game. playing wow classic theres been none except the huge old style blizzard animation ones which are actual cutscenes, and very rare. oldschool runescape doesnt really have any and has much tighter writing as well. something like eve has literally 0. i cannot think of an mmo ive ever played that bombarded me with so many cutscenes.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

ErrEff posted:

I think we can all agree that FFXIV has a lot of clicking.

Yikes, leaving yourself wide open to the “actually it plays very well with a controller :)” crowd

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also the things it can do as an mmo are like, actively hated by tons of ppl who post about it. people saying about how cool it is you can do dungeons with ai, or that you can play the game as a long single player game. its the least mmo mmo, very fail.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Honestly the feeling I get from Jay Rust is ADHD because I like FFXIV's whole story and even I'll admit sometimes I start clicking faster in cutscenes to get them over but that's because my attention span goes from hyperfocus to can't concentrate and viceversa in 3 seconds flat.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i like both the story, cutscenes and all, and the mmo part

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Honestly the feeling I get from Jay Rust is ADHD because I like FFXIV's whole story and even I'll admit sometimes I start clicking faster in cutscenes to get them over but that's because my attention span goes from hyperfocus to can't concentrate and viceversa in 3 seconds flat.

this. if someone dislikes something about ff14 they need psychoanalysis.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Gimme some of these cutscenes, friend. People are always posting their fave video game songs, let's do cinematic now

I was gonna post the Deus Ex Recut as a joke. But the real opening to the game is actually a great example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY5KhdXsUQ
The camera work is dynamic, it gives us shots of every major location in the game, introduces a ton of the cast; obviously Page and Simons but Savage the illuminati, the french resistance, "Electronic sentience" aka Deadulus and Icarus, Paul.
It manages to set up the entire world and all the factions behind the events, without the player really being able to parse most of it. But once you get control of Denton and start exploring you quickly start piecing the puzzle together. There's a shot of the destroyed statue of liberty and UNATCO being founded, and Walton Simons says he has a man in place, then when you first gain control you see the destroyed statue and are getting orders from the people you just saw in the cutscene. When you find the articles describing Page and start connecting him, the cutscene, and the Aquinas hub that serves all the terminals in the game you can connect what the intro says about him and his plans before you start getting told about them. When Simmons shows up and is personally in charge of interrogating the NSF soldiers you get the sense that unlike the first thing that Paul says to you, you aren't just a cop and JC is in the middle of something much deeper than just an anti terrorist operation. At that point you go back to the primary and secondary unit and Page's frustration with the first and start putting it together that YOU are the secondary unit, that Paul's actually trying to Cop it up isn't what the power behind UNATCO want's and that if you aren't a fan of watching the rats rattle their cages that you should probably be helping out your bro instead of Anna and Gunther. If you're really sharp you'll connect the images of the body being grown in the Lab with the primary and secondary units and with how odd Paul and JC's backstories are and realize that you're something of a pod person yourself.

If you think of Deus Ex's plot as the crazy pin up board with the strings connecting everything, then the Intro cutscene is the board and all you have to do is mentally connect everything back to it to discover the plot.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

FF14 does have a lot of cruft in the cutscenes but the story and experience still shine through in the end

Also, if you don't like the game don't feel like you have to spend hundreds of hours playing it. You can stop any time and nobody will think less of it. :kiddo: I think its definitely not a game for everybody, either it grabs you or it doesn't, or its like me and you alternate back and forth sometimes.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

lol

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm going to assume FMV cinematics also count to give myself an excuse to re-post the Mech Commander 1 intro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcCxK5jq65I

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

oh yeah the genre thing was specifically stiffness. the words are ff14 specifically but again I don't think words are a weakness

Writing a million words is fine for Balzac, Proust, or Gaddis. If you're incompetent like Rand or Sanderson than it's a pure negative, FFXIV is the Fountainhead of Videogames. A poo poo story, poorly told, over a million hours. Any good writing it may have is buried knee deep in excrement and the idea that that's okay because average brain fried JRPG addict is already used to it is absurd and abhorrent.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Gaius Marius posted:

Writing a million words is fine for Balzac, Proust, or Gaddis. If you're incompetent like Rand or Sanderson than it's a pure negative, FFXIV is the Fountainhead of Videogames. A poo poo story, poorly told, over a million hours. Any good writing it may have is buried knee deep in excrement and the idea that that's okay because average brain fried JRPG addict is already used to it is absurd and abhorrent.

nah

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

it's one of my favorite stories told in video games and i'll happily keep subscribing to keep playing through it, but i appreciate your opinion on the matter nonetheless