Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What’s the Infinite Jest of video games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

hatty posted:

xenosaga

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Personally I think the written word is overrated, the greek philosophers were right when they said that society lost something when we didn't recite poems from memory anymore

In a better world people would memorize games byte by byte, and recite them in sequence to an eager new generation

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

I was gonna post the Deus Ex Recut as a joke. But the real opening to the game is actually a great example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY5KhdXsUQ
The camera work is dynamic, it gives us shots of every major location in the game, introduces a ton of the cast; obviously Page and Simons but Savage the illuminati, the french resistance, "Electronic sentience" aka Deadulus and Icarus, Paul.
It manages to set up the entire world and all the factions behind the events, without the player really being able to parse most of it. But once you get control of Denton and start exploring you quickly start piecing the puzzle together. There's a shot of the destroyed statue of liberty and UNATCO being founded, and Walton Simons says he has a man in place, then when you first gain control you see the destroyed statue and are getting orders from the people you just saw in the cutscene. When you find the articles describing Page and start connecting him, the cutscene, and the Aquinas hub that serves all the terminals in the game you can connect what the intro says about him and his plans before you start getting told about them. When Simmons shows up and is personally in charge of interrogating the NSF soldiers you get the sense that unlike the first thing that Paul says to you, you aren't just a cop and JC is in the middle of something much deeper than just an anti terrorist operation. At that point you go back to the primary and secondary unit and Page's frustration with the first and start putting it together that YOU are the secondary unit, that Paul's actually trying to Cop it up isn't what the power behind UNATCO want's and that if you aren't a fan of watching the rats rattle their cages that you should probably be helping out your bro instead of Anna and Gunther. If you're really sharp you'll connect the images of the body being grown in the Lab with the primary and secondary units and with how odd Paul and JC's backstories are and realize that you're something of a pod person yourself.

If you think of Deus Ex's plot as the crazy pin up board with the strings connecting everything, then the Intro cutscene is the board and all you have to do is mentally connect everything back to it to discover the plot.

The zoom in and zoom out on page’s eye is p funny

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Gimme some of these cutscenes, friend. People are always posting their fave video game songs, let's do cinematic now

Every cutscene in Koudelka

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

hatty posted:

Octopath Traveler

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I like FFXIV but I'm sorry, a lot of the cutscenes are stiff and wordy

Less stiff and wordy than some other ongoing games (*cough* Genshin Impact) but still, I think that's a fair assessment. It's understandable why it's that way and why they have to be so wordy or repetitive with exposition sometimes, and they do the best they can with the voice acting to try to inject some life into things, but all but the most centerpiece cutscenes really are people standing around doing repeated emotes and talking.

Again I like FFXIV but the story presentation has a ton of room to improve.

I mean if we're grading on a curve it does better than any other MMORPG that tries to have an ongoing narrative but that's not a particularly high bar.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I was gonna post the Deus Ex Recut as a joke. But the real opening to the game is actually a great example.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feY5KhdXsUQ
The camera work is dynamic, it gives us shots of every major location in the game, introduces a ton of the cast; obviously Page and Simons but Savage the illuminati, the french resistance, "Electronic sentience" aka Deadulus and Icarus, Paul.
It manages to set up the entire world and all the factions behind the events, without the player really being able to parse most of it. But once you get control of Denton and start exploring you quickly start piecing the puzzle together. There's a shot of the destroyed statue of liberty and UNATCO being founded, and Walton Simons says he has a man in place, then when you first gain control you see the destroyed statue and are getting orders from the people you just saw in the cutscene. When you find the articles describing Page and start connecting him, the cutscene, and the Aquinas hub that serves all the terminals in the game you can connect what the intro says about him and his plans before you start getting told about them. When Simmons shows up and is personally in charge of interrogating the NSF soldiers you get the sense that unlike the first thing that Paul says to you, you aren't just a cop and JC is in the middle of something much deeper than just an anti terrorist operation. At that point you go back to the primary and secondary unit and Page's frustration with the first and start putting it together that YOU are the secondary unit, that Paul's actually trying to Cop it up isn't what the power behind UNATCO want's and that if you aren't a fan of watching the rats rattle their cages that you should probably be helping out your bro instead of Anna and Gunther. If you're really sharp you'll connect the images of the body being grown in the Lab with the primary and secondary units and with how odd Paul and JC's backstories are and realize that you're something of a pod person yourself.

If you think of Deus Ex's plot as the crazy pin up board with the strings connecting everything, then the Intro cutscene is the board and all you have to do is mentally connect everything back to it to discover the plot.

Contrast this with the intro for the PS2 version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_al2NCcfUoQ

It adapts the cinematic aspirations of the original version, but frames it more like everything is being shown through video feeds. I think it loses something in the process, IMO the music and pacing is much better in the PC version, but it would've been nice if the PC intro had NPCs that weren't so stiff. But eh... that's just part of the charm.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oldschool runescape has better writing but the type of gamer thaht plays ff14 is too much of a coward to ever find out

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
instead of 20 hours of cutscenes you have to spend 200 hours grinding your agility skill to reach the level requirement for the next quest

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Stux posted:

oldschool runescape has better writing but the type of gamer thaht plays ff14 is too much of a coward to ever find out

oldschool everquest has better writing than OSRS by a country mile, sorry

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

instead of 20 hours of cutscenes you have to spend 200 hours grinding your agility skill to reach the level requirement for the next quest

and thats precisily why its better on all counts. osrs ftw.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I haven't played ffxiv but the FF thread OP rates it as the best Final Fantasy and therefore should be gassed

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah we all know it's the second best, after ff8

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Stux posted:

:dafuq:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Stux posted:

and thats precisily why its better on all counts. osrs ftw.

grinding isn't fun if you can do it by turning on an autoclicker and leaving your mouse on one spot on the screen
on the bright side doing that will pretty quickly get you banned from OSRS

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

u cannot run agility courses with your mouse in one spot on the screen. myth busted.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Actually the best Final Fantasy is FF9

You have to say that in this thread or else Rarity will make sure you never post again

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Feldegast42 posted:

You have to say that in this thread or else Rarity will make sure you never post again

lucky it’s just the truth then.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like the cutscene in FF14 when you are trying to distract a cop from the box of TNT your pals brought to the beach and you send a lady to distract him with questions and he's like "good idea, lets go over by this box. Also I'm going to light this lantern because its getting a bit dark"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Feldegast42 posted:

good

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

also the things it can do as an mmo are like, actively hated by tons of ppl who post about it. people saying about how cool it is you can do dungeons with ai, or that you can play the game as a long single player game. its the least mmo mmo, very fail.

I think it is legitimately unique and kinda cool that FFXIV being an MMO lets it tell a long-running story in a way it couldn't if it was a single-player game.

It does really need some editing for brevity. Having a lot of words isn't inherently bad but it isn't inherently good, either, and I think FFXIV would be better if it cut out some of the repetition and exposition, and it can do that without losing any of what it does well.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Stux posted:

u cannot run agility courses with your mouse in one spot on the screen. myth busted.

sorry uh pretend i said training combat in the nightmare zone or something

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hatty posted:

umineko: when they cry

e: serious answer is YIIK

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Pwnstar posted:

I like the cutscene in FF14 when you are trying to distract a cop from the box of TNT your pals brought to the beach and you send a lady to distract him with questions and he's like "good idea, lets go over by this box. Also I'm going to light this lantern because its getting a bit dark"

https://clips.twitch.tv/RealLazyRatNerfRedBlaster-XUPy6V2Thm3myca_

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ff14's story is good since through a series of coincidences SE let a writer from a much more interesting company write multiple headlining games for them

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
I wish I could play the piano like that

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

umineko: when they cry

e: serious answer is YIIK

Umineko is it's own thing but is more in league with And Then There Were None, Osamu Dazai's No Longer Human, Dante's Divine Comedy, Goethe's Faust, Nabokov's Pale Fire and Ada, or Ardor, and a bunch of other things that are too spoilery to say

YIIK seems to disingenuous to be the Infinite Jest of games.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Ah, poo poo, this lead me to rewatch the end of Day 2 again with Soken's announcement. :smith:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Harrow posted:

I think it is legitimately unique and kinda cool that FFXIV being an MMO lets it tell a long-running story in a way it couldn't if it was a single-player game.

It does really need some editing for brevity. Having a lot of words isn't inherently bad but it isn't inherently good, either, and I think FFXIV would be better if it cut out some of the repetition and exposition, and it can do that without losing any of what it does well.

doesnt trails actually just do it in a single player game tho. dunno if this holds at all i think they just want sub money.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Stux posted:

doesnt trails actually just do it in a single player game tho. dunno if this holds at all i think they just want sub money.

Trails does but doing it in an MMO (or I guess a gacha game, these days) is a pretty different structure, where you can have another major story chapter every three to four months rather than having to only do it in full game installments.

Though clearly they also definitely do want sub money. The reason for the game's existence is that it makes a lot of subscription money, it's just that they also use the format to tell a story in a way they couldn't in a different format.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fallen London does the same thing. Without the bad multiplayer attached.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oh yeah it's definitely not the only game to have ever done it. Lots of mobile games do it, too. Genshin Impact, for example (with even worse stilted, stiff, interminable cutscenes without even the courtesy of a skip button)

edit: I guess I did say "unique" in my first post, thought in my defense I threw that word in there completely thoughtlessly, wait what do you mean that's not a defense

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Oct 1, 2022

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i think FFXIV is great, but by no means would i ever say it is perfect

and that's okay, i don't expect anything at all to be perfect, ever

ffxiv has flaws, yes. there are a lot of cutscenes and a lot of words to read, and if you don't like those then i don't blame you for bouncing off. i however like reading words and watching cutscenes, even if they are super stiff. i can still appreciate what is on offer. its flaws are not bad enough to get me to stop playing. i have a pretty high tolerance for stuff though, and some people have very low tolerance for certain things. and that's totally okay.

i much prefer ffxiv's story telling over other MMOs where the majority of story beats are just a paragraph or two in a quest box. or in WoW's recent case the story takes place.... in a book, and not in the game at all. i play games for story, because it's my favorite medium to absorb stories through.

Stux posted:

its the least mmo mmo, very fail.

having the option to play either single player or in a multiplayer group is always superior than being forced into one or the other.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Started replaying Metal Gear Solid V. I liked it a lot when I first played it even with its flaws, so I'm looking forward to see if that's still the case several years later. Ground Zeroes was still fun, so I'll see what happens with Phantom Pain.

EDIT: Game still looks really good. Fox Engine was great.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

remember Hellgate London

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm probably the worst person on this site to defend FFXIV, though. I've cooled on it a good amount since I finished Endwalker. I feel like that broke the spell a little bit. I don't want to go into too much critical detail or whatever though because I played the story gradually over the course of like 8 years and I know I'm going to end up misremembering some things and being blown up with a bazooka over it

The point I'm trying to make is that I think it does some cool things but also has a lot of failings in its storytelling that people forgive because of those cool things

Also there is absolutely no way I'd play it if I started it now. Playing it gradually over several years is a very different experience from trying to get through the whole thing in one stretch. I'd just see the gigantic reams of story with its huge filler segments yawning like the void before me and go "I could just play the entire Yakuza series in like half this time" and do that instead

Harrow fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 1, 2022

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

im playing an mmo to play multiplayer

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
i played multiplayer in ffxiv just today, and had fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I wish 12 tails online had gotten a proper worldwide release. I was curious to see how it played and a few of the player character designs looked pretty rad.