Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

gimme quidditch that takes a HOTAS as an input. Hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

CONFIRMED: Hesitation is defeat.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Baba is You continues to be the GOTYOAT.

It's a puzzle game where you move around word tiles with words like "rock", "is" and "push" on them to make rules like "rock is push," which allows you to push rocks. Every level is fundamentally about creating a permutation like "Flag is Win" and then moving whatever tile "is you" onto the flag. Usually that tile is a little sheep called Baba, hence the title (and very common in-level rule) "Baba is You."

The keywords it gives you start off as really intuitive - alongside "push" are things like "pull" or "stop", or "hot" or "melt." Alongside "is" you get "and". Alongside "rock" you get "plant" and "bug" and "water" and "wall." If "rock is push and melt" and "lava is hot" and you push a rock tile onto a lava tile, the rock melts. If you form "rock is lava," all the rocks turn into lava.

But they eventually get absolutely insane, with nouns like "empty" that can give you control of all the empty tiles on the map, or "all" that give you control of every single filled tile, or "text" that lets you manipulate every text tile.

I came upon some levels that had a keyword "level", which lets you for instance make "level is hot," making any noun that "is melt" be destroyed. Well, if you form "Level is Baba," instead of anything happening in the level, you are warped back to the level-select overworld, where the level has now become your cute sheep avatar and now moves around the overworld with your inputs! since your level selector is stuck to a certain path but the Baba level-avatar is not, you now have to play a mini puzzle in the overworld itself to even get back into the level.

Game rocks.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Oh, it turns out that funny Baba is You overworld quirk I posted about is, uh, the gateway to like four more worlds of sick puzzles??? The "overworld" itself can actually be completed like a normal level, popping you out to a meta-overworld.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

what is it about splatoon specifically that makes folks lose all their marbles?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

God drat Baba is You is a perfect game. I am slowly chipping my way through the secret levels, doing my best to avoid spoilers and making ample use of Baba is Hint. I just keep finding more and it keeps being more insane and awesome. Talk about a game that teaches you to master its systems and then forces you to use that mastery... and every new system feels new and fresh and necessary. loving awesome. GOTY.

Goon who recommended Patrick's Parabox like 500 posts ago: I've got that on my wishlist now, once I'm done with Baba, that's next for sure.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

it's a crime this isn't on switch

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Baba is You: every time I think I'm done with this game, there is a whole other level, lol.

Just reached Meta. and there is a rule for Cursor!? What the gently caress guys???????. Not gonna read any spoilered text about this, just, drat So excellent. A game for gamers, for sure.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I’m a gamer

ok, with you so fa—

Jay Rust posted:

I’m a gamer and I gave up on baba pretty early…

:dafuq:

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Harrow posted:

Actually in general I like "pumpkin spice" desserts, just not really beverages for the most part. For example, pumpkin pie rules, but pumpkin beer's rightful place is down the drain

pumpkin beer is good when it's dark. for folks who live in the vicinity of New York, try and get a beer called Warlock made by Southern Tier, it'll change your mind.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Well, I beat Baba is You. At least, I got all the achievements -- I'm not 1000% sure I found all the levels in the final actual world. It's been surprisingly emotional -- I legit lost my poo poo at Another Way, which is a reprise of A Way Out, the level you're initially led to believe is the "last" one. Also, in the very final level, I legit choked up at bestowing "done" on all these characters that had helped me along the way. We are done, you guys, and you did a great job. I was really surprised at the tone of the cutscene after "All is Done" though, I was expecting something celebratory. There's a bunch of DLC stuff I guess, but I believe I may well be done myself at this point. GOTY once again, all the more so because I finished it.

Gonna take a break before Patrick's Parabox, and see what happens in Prison Architect if I try and build an egalitarian correctional facility. Given that the first mission is "Build an electric chair," there's gonna be a lot of failed objectives along my path.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

man, what a step up! everybody knows who Mario is, king lear is best known for his namesake defense-lowering move in Pokemon

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

i remember seeing F76 was on sale a little while ago, checking the thread here to see if it ever got de-horribled, and all the posts were about trying to get good rolls on rare drops. noooooo thank you!

that poo poo belongs in exactly one series, Diablo, and i do not need it anywhere else

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Chieves posted:

So I'm playing Jedi: Fallen Order. It's pretty fun! Some acceptable levels of EA jank, and I'm a sucker for a good metroidvania/ adventure game.

Now, that said, I recall that people compared this game heavily to Dark Souls with the bonfires, losing xp, etc. I am a weirdo who has yet to play a From game. How accurate is that parallel? Combat is for sure the weakest part of Fallen Order for me, and I know there's a lot less platforming in the pre-Sekiro games, so I have concerns those may not be up my alley.

Fake Edit: Also loved Hollow Knight for similar exploration/ movement reasons.

Fallen Order is pretty much discount Sekiro in almost every way. The combat particularly in Sekiro is miles better, both mechanically and from a mechanics and visual/audio design perspective. Everything in JFO feels like you're using Nerf bats, whereas Sekiro really feels like people swinging metal at each other. Sekiro has a little bit of platforming but is far from a platformer, and while the Souls games have very little platforming (and what they DO have is painful), there's a huge amount of exploration and secret items, etc. to uncover. And especially in Souls, a lot of what you find is entirely unique new weapons and armor with their own lore, as opposed to bits of McGuffin Currency as I recall you finding in JFO.

Another Hollow Knight / From comparison is that the story in all those games is presented pretty vaguely and you've gotta piece it together, whereas JFO is very in your face about the narrative and exactly what it all means.

So, I'd highly recommend you try Sekiro, and if you love that, try DS3 or Elden Ring after that.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

The secret technique for this books is that you don't try to understand what the hell anyone is talking about when they use nautical terms. Just let it breeze past you and you'll pick up the vibe of whats happening anyway.

This is 100% correct.

Master and Commander is written for two audiences. Boat nerds, for whom Jack is the protagonist; and non-boat-nerds, for whom Maturin is the protagonist. Just channel Maturin and embrace his, and your, ignorance of wtf is going on with the boats.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

After a little break from Baba is You I decided to try out another puzzle game that had been in my library for a while, The Pedestrian. I do not recommend The Pedestrian. The gimmick is that you move a 2d person around 2d platforming environments... which are signs on walls, which can be rearranged to change where doors, ladders go, etc. It's got a lot of potential and none of that potential is really fulfilled in the execution, there's like 10% the content that I would expect in a game like this. It also had the extremely weird quirk of trying to lay out its "story" through... achievement titles and descriptions?? If you've already got it and haven't tried it it's worth a whirl, but I wouldn't go get it except at a steep discount.

This is reminding me that I also have Manifold Garden and never finished that, should give that one a third go.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

I've been trying to play Baba is You and I've concluded that I don't have the brains. The later puzzles are some insane :catdrugs: poo poo

Its real good though, would recommend it to everyone

It is definitely a game that benefits from the Fromsoft boss-beating approach of "put this down and come back to it tomorrow," or even months later. I think I finally "got it" on like my 5th runthrough attempt after years of on-and-off noodling. There's a lot of levels that just don't make any loving sense until you come back the next day and realize that there is no "LAVA is MELT" rule and you can just walk through the pool of lava that was stymying you, or whatever. I also highly recommend checking out the "Baba is Hint" hint site, which does a fairly good job of helping you direct your focus without remotely telling you the answer.

But yeah by the very end it's pretty much 100% :pcgaming:. Eventually you're, like, having to complete a level multiple times with different solutions to affect the solutions of other levels, it's peak puzzle gamer brain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

hatty posted:

What’s the Infinite Jest of video games?

Dragonquest 11