Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

In addition, gotta meet the voters where they are. Giving pure positive Americana imagery for a speech like that in a country where only 30% think we're on the wrong track isn't going to work and Republicans will still accuse Biden of calling them Nazis.

Plus we won't be talking about that speech after Next Trump Controversy X and it wasn't even broadcast on the networks that wide. I was watching two college football games.

I'd rather have the president kicking up a stink about the fascist take over of one political parties than spend another decade trying to reach across the aisle to our moderate friends and find a center point between "maybe have a functioning society?" and "Nah gently caress that hang everyone darker than a paper bag, drag anyone not straight behind a truck, and win "elections" by force of arms if the numbers dont go our way"

Shits real, bad, and real bad. High time we drop the rose colored glasses and start talking reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

You don't need to be terribly smart to set up solar. You just need to be able to follow directions. Also understand electric code if you intend for it to be insurable.

Doesn't look like 60kw of storage to me but I've never seen a tesla battery up close.

E: if you're going to buy a Taurus, don't. But if you do, the revolvers are at least drop safe.

Thats about 100kwh of battery, so yeah, 6 or 7 powerwalls worth of capacity, just in a very thermally unstable stack. Normally you'd have the flat side of the rectangles exposed to air cooling. So you can't pull EV level of wattage but as long as it doesn't overheat you still get the full capacity. Anyway, if your house is drawing 60kW you've got something on fire. That would be equivalent to maxing out a 250A/240V service in north America.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Defenestrategy posted:

If I saw that kind of wiring and storage job hooked up to a large battery I would run the gently caress out of the room.

Yeah, it's pretty goddamn ugly.

This is my friend's rack with 10kw of battery in it. The rack can hold 30kw.

His transformer and third battery arrived this week, so we're either going to have his power working next week, or his shed will burn down.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, it's pretty goddamn ugly.

This is my friend's rack with 10kw of battery in it. The rack can hold 30kw.

His transformer and third battery arrived this week, so we're either going to have his power working next week, or his shed will burn down.

I have some thoughts about forced air ventilation and cabinet clearance, but I'm willing to bet no one involved gives a flying gently caress what I think, so I'll just shut up.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Chances are the guy never practiced, and never had the gun ready. Typically when something like this goes down, it was user error.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

M_Gargantua posted:

Thats about 100kwh of battery, so yeah, 6 or 7 powerwalls worth of capacity, just in a very thermally unstable stack. Normally you'd have the flat side of the rectangles exposed to air cooling. So you can't pull EV level of wattage but as long as it doesn't overheat you still get the full capacity. Anyway, if your house is drawing 60kW you've got something on fire. That would be equivalent to maxing out a 250A/240V service in north America.

Powerwalls are/were available in 6kw or 10kw. So it's about 60kw, or what a standard tesla car battery was from last decade. Not sure if it's actually 80kw with only 60kw unlocked or is just a 60kw alone.

The average US household uses 30kw a day. I use 7kw, my friend uses less than 3kw right now on the 12v SLA setup currently running the house.

As long as the rack is in a climate controlled space, he shouldn't have any heat concerns, really. They can be close to each other, you just have to add supplemental air flow if it gets above 80ish in the area of the rack.

It's typically suggested that you want 3 days of power storage, so larger banks are common, but they come down to the load you draw. If he's swinging average usage, he has 2 days of battery capacity. 17kw of panels is nuts, but you're only supposed to expect 4 hours a day of sunlight and typically want your panels to overproduce a little. You can set up extra draws, like fans that kick on when you reach 99% capacity, to avoid damaging the storage or inverter/controller.

I really need to figure out what kind of certification I need to work on solar.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stealie72 posted:

Worse. Reported that he had a Bersa.

That’s would be a loving yikes.

That’s like being a US President with all the security and whatnot and getting merked by someone with a Jennings or Bryco or Rohm lol.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 2, 2022

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
if it turns out to be a taurus, the would-be assassin should've just given the taurus a good shake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fn6GFSwTEw

I love this video so much

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A.o.D. posted:

I have some thoughts about forced air ventilation and cabinet clearance, but I'm willing to bet no one involved gives a flying gently caress what I think, so I'll just shut up.

My friend's rack isn't fully set in place yet, the 12v is still hooked up to the left. The rack will be offset about a foot from the wall. Besides, it's sitting on shingles.

We're more concerned with insulation for the shed in the winter, when it can get down to -40°. The solution we're working out now is using seedling heat mats between the batteries that can kick on based on a temp sensor and draw 20w/hr.

Cooling will be a concern, but it topped out at like, 92°F here this summer. A box fan will probably suffice.

We ran 50 feet of 1/0 cables for those batteries through buried and crawlspace hung 2" conduit to the utility room. Inverter can only pull about 40 amps so it's a little overkill.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 2, 2022

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Here's a more-detailed inventory of what Donnie had:

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1565705149171044357

https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/22274262-39-1

A big, fat, stinking question is why did he have emptied classified folders? I'm guessing these aren't just the typical classification cover sheets, so uh, that's a big thing.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\

Marshal Prolapse posted:

That’s would be a loving yikes.

That’s like being a US President with all the security and whatnot and getting merked by someone with a Jennings or Bryco or Rohm lol.
John Hinkley's got you covered.

He used a Rohm RG-14

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I think teslas come with 60-80kw packs. A 60kw would be roughly 6 of the 10kw powerwalls.

The flux capacitor was what made 1.21 jiggawatts, the delorean never had the ability to store that capacity.

Needed 1.21 jiggawatts, not made. The Plutonium provided that from its very not-shielded reactor in the back :)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

CommieGIR posted:

Needed 1.21 jiggawatts, not made. The Plutonium provided that from its very not-shielded reactor in the back :)

I forgot about THE LIBYANS!

Thank you, I haven't watch BTTF in a while.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stealie72 posted:

John Hinkley's got you covered.

He used a Rohm RG-14

Oh man I only recalled he used some gimmick “devastators” 22lr ammo, but I didn’t know he went full Saturday Night Special stereotype.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Powerwalls are/were available in 6kw or 10kw. So it's about 60kw, or what a standard tesla car battery was from last decade. Not sure if it's actually 80kw with only 60kw unlocked or is just a 60kw alone.

The average US household uses 30kw a day. I use 7kw, my friend uses less than 3kw right now on the 12v SLA setup currently running the house.

As long as the rack is in a climate controlled space, he shouldn't have any heat concerns, really. They can be close to each other, you just have to add supplemental air flow if it gets above 80ish in the area of the rack.

It's typically suggested that you want 3 days of power storage, so larger banks are common, but they come down to the load you draw. If he's swinging average usage, he has 2 days of battery capacity. 17kw of panels is nuts, but you're only supposed to expect 4 hours a day of sunlight and typically want your panels to overproduce a little. You can set up extra draws, like fans that kick on when you reach 99% capacity, to avoid damaging the storage or inverter/controller.

I really need to figure out what kind of certification I need to work on solar.

You're confusing kW (power) vs kWh (energy). A house may pull 30kWh a day, but will often have a load of 1-2kW. Start running dryers/ovens/toasters/microwaves/AC and that number spikes up temporarily. So you need batteries + inverters with the kW capacity to run your large appliances but you want the kWh capacity of the battery to last sufficiently between solar cycles. In a properly configured solar setup your controller should shift the cell power point toward open-circuit rather than turning on dummy loads, but scheduling heavy power consumer's like AC for when your battery is already at full charge is a smart way to get maximum utilization out of the solar irradiance of your array.

A.o.D. posted:

Commercial rackmount batteries like that are designed for passive cooling in an unoccupied but climate controlled area. Most of their charge/discharge power limits are based on the safe margin for self-heating of the cells. As long as the cells stay between 10 and 30C you're golden. They'll be fine from 5C to 50C, but 60C is the upper safe range. On a scorching 45C day a fan and the convection over the case should be plenty to keep the cells at 50C max. But ideally you just keep the room their in below 80F.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 2, 2022

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

M_Gargantua posted:

You're confusing kW (power) vs kWh (energy). A house may pull 30kWh a day, but will often have a load of 1-2kW. Start running dryers/ovens/toasters/microwaves/AC and that number spikes up temporarily. So you need batteries + inverters with the kW capacity to run your large appliances but you want the kWh capacity of the battery to last sufficiently between solar cycles. In a properly configured solar setup your controller should shift the cell power point toward open-circuit rather than turning on dummy loads, but scheduling heavy power consumer's like AC for when your battery is already at full charge is a smart way to get maximum utilization out of the solar irradiance of your array.

Yeah I really need to hit some books if I ever daydream about the idea of maybe looking into certs for it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Commercial rackmount batteries like that are designed for passive cooling in an unoccupied but climate controlled area. Most of their charge/discharge power limits are based on the safe margin for self-heating of the cells. As long as the cells stay between 10 and 30C you're golden. They'll be fine from 5C to 50C, but 60C is the upper safe range. On a scorching 45C day a fan and the convection over the case should be plenty to keep the cells at 50C max. But ideally you just keep the room their in below 80F.

I work at a facility that has roughly 150 network cabinets, of which at least half have UPSs for voip service. That photo depicts an area that probably isn't climate controlled and has poor access to the back side of the rack space. As was previously stated, that's just a temporary location while the final installation gets sorted, but I was concerned about that setup being a permanent fixture.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A.o.D. posted:

I work at a facility that has roughly 150 network cabinets, of which at least half have UPSs for voip service. That photo depicts an area that probably isn't climate controlled and has poor access to the back side of the rack space. As was previously stated, that's just a temporary location while the final installation gets sorted, but I was concerned about that setup being a permanent fixture.

You're right that it's not climate controlled. However, it's at 7500ft of elevation, heat isn't a huge problem here, yet. If needed, we can put a $300 amazon air conditioner in that shed next summer, but concern for climate right now is on the cold end.

My friend wants to put that rack on casters but hasn't ordered any with at least 750 pound ratings yet. Ideally he'll have a few feet to roll it around when it's finished.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Its also a massive fire hazard that they need to account for, and its in a wooden shed. I also did Datacenter Engineering for a few years and most Battery/UPS systems are not only well conditioned, but have fire control systems just for them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'd think all the stuff those UPS's are powering are producing an order of magnitude more heat themselves as loads. The batteries would probably survive long after the computing equipment overheated if the HVAC failed. Are they SLA or lithium battery UPSs? SLA batteries don't have the temp concerns a LiFePo4 (LFP) has. And are they the online double conversion UPS's or failover UPSs? I find that most UPS tend to run hotter and less efficient than a proper inverter with a designed 24/7 duty cycle.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, the fire hazard reasoning is why it's in a shed 20 feet from the house. On a concrete slab. It took weeks for me to convince him to not put it in the house.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah, the fire hazard reasoning is why it's in a shed 20 feet from the house. On a concrete slab. It took weeks for me to convince him to not put it in the house.

Good job.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I love the guy to death but he is far from handy.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

"Trump investigation: US court unseals list of seized Mar-a-Lago material"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62771613

quote:

Among the items recovered after the unprecedented 8 August search of Mar-a-Lago were:

3 documents marked confidential
17 documents marked secret
7 documents marked top secret
43 empty folders with classified banners
28 empty folders labelled "Return to staff secretary/military aide"

so uhhh, those empty folders, where'd the docs... go? :stare:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pmchem posted:

"Trump investigation: US court unseals list of seized Mar-a-Lago material"
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-62771613

To the highest bidder.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Yeah there's no way those were empty when he took them. Unless someone removed them before he took them from the White House. Either way, terrifying.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
What if he took the cover folders to put random poo poo into so he could have it visibly sitting off to the side in his office when important people come calling. That is something he would do.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

What if he took the cover folders to put random poo poo into so he could have it visibly sitting off to the side in his office when important people come calling. That is something he would do.

Not all of them are empty though, so I suspect there's more to it. We know Kushner got a ton of money from the Saudi's before they left office, wouldn't surprise me if there's a connection.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

CommieGIR posted:

Not all of them are empty though, so I suspect there's more to it. We know Kushner got a ton of money from the Saudi's before they left office, wouldn't surprise me if there's a connection.

Kinda wonder what they’d even want that they didn’t already have. Already had infinite money, free hand to attack Yemen, able to murder American critics overseas with barely a peep, and could buy nearly any hardware they want. I guess secrets about Iran to help prevent any future nuke deals from going through?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1565737449120317442?s=20&t=NGPOKw98ftX-JoK_nCeV6Q

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Kinda wonder what they’d even want that they didn’t already have. Already had infinite money, free hand to attack Yemen, able to murder American critics overseas with barely a peep, and could buy nearly any hardware they want. I guess secrets about Iran to help prevent any future nuke deals from going through?

They want what any autocrat wants. More power, more authority, more control, more prestige.

Kings suck so much.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Well that's awesome.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bird food bathtub posted:

Well that's awesome.

I mean the VA's been good at indirect 216 month and on abortions, so why not this too!
:dadjoke:
Obviously this is good thing, but I couldn't help doing a VA joke

Also in random rear end things I find on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/WheatPM/status/1565732199755825152?s=20&t=U1TLc1E7IC01vLAr8pPx_A

https://twitter.com/ExumAM/status/1565755441841332224?s=20&t=C38oluWaKCo7dMI1gQBD6g
C.R.E.A.M.

Although I strongly think selling Dark Brandon and Pride stuff is not going to be very odd in the long term.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 2, 2022

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

As state abortion bans get more and more extreme it's pretty wild that something might be a normal medical procedure in a federal enclave and capital murder right outside the window.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

slurm posted:

As state abortion bans get more and more extreme it's pretty wild that something might be a normal medical procedure in a federal enclave and capital murder right outside the window.

:same:

That said if people try loving with them, it's a fed building, and full of many stupid federal prizes people can win.

My concern is that the various SS branches (Texas DPS for one) will just have people waiting outside to arrest people.

That said Federal Marshals and DHS guys should be enough to remind some dingus with a ranger hat, whose actually boss...and who the Big Boss is, and it's not someone being wheeled around like The End.

Sorry I'm just in a very very nerdy mood today...but hey at least it's a good mood. :)

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

facialimpediment posted:

A big, fat, stinking question is why did he have emptied classified folders? I'm guessing these aren't just the typical classification cover sheets, so uh, that's a big thing.

pmchem posted:

i don't get what's so confusing about it. he declassified those documents. that's why they're not in the classified folders any more. duh. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

1972 GIs marrying vietnamese women to help them escape a failing authoritarian regime propped up by the MIC.

2022 GIs marrying Texan women to help them escape a failing authoritarian regime propped up by the MIC.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I dunno, Texas is very close to Florida in the caliber of residents. Those would be the last places I would look for a refugee bride in the US. There are plenty of both in Colorado anyhow.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I dunno, Texas is very close to Florida in the caliber of residents. Those would be the last places I would look for a refugee bride in the US. There are plenty of both in Colorado anyhow.

It's a low effort quip, insert any red states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

If you clowns keep discussing batteries near me this thread will catch fire