Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

As a medical student I saw a ~6 year old girl in the icu permanently locked into a response like that after her father kicked her in the head multiple times. The fingers flexed so hard they had to tape gauze rolls in her palms to prevent the fingernails from biting in. I have never ever felt so much anger and sadness in my entire life but in that one moment. Why this is happening in a entertainment sport where it should be 1000% preventable after years (two good solid decades?) of research into it is a travesty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

stackofflapjacks posted:

I was just talking to my wife about how I'll never put any future kids in football even after playing and loving it growing up.
Good on you, though be ready to doggedly defend that position until the kids are out of school! I've got a cousin in the South who earnestly made the same commitment back when her son was 6, but, 'lo and behold, 10 years later he's on the team and taking hard tackles. The intellectual recognition of the risks associated with contact football just couldn't compete with the family being steeped in a local culture that not only downplays the risks, but subtly threatens ostracization of anyone who might express concerns.

Meanwhile, folks keep watching and the sport continues to get away with paying lip service to those it grinds up and spits out. Defenders come out waving maximalist strawmen in response to the slightest critique and accuse advocates for reform of wanting to hurt players from impoverished backgrounds.

poo poo, I'm getting the weirdest sense of deja vu.

Cugel the Clever fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Sep 30, 2022

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Not gonna say it's a snuff film but I'd put money down that that's a video of a man's soul (or whatever you want to call it) leaving his body forever. He had a severe concussion less than a week ago that the people in charge reclassified as a back spasm and got thrown back into the ring for another traumatic brain injury tonight. That video there is the last we see of him, and it's his body going "well, poo poo's hosed, better brace for whatever's next" in a sign that's known to be associated with extreme traumatic brain injury.

If he's insanely lucky he's going to spend the next ten years slowly working on recovery but never getting back to a fully able state. If not, he's gone. His body may keep ticking along but the man in that brain is no longer there from sheer shock trauma.

I don't know if it's the sheer amount of padding and armour that stop people from thinking causing and receiving traumatic cranial hits is a bad idea or what but holy poo poo football should be shut down forever, or at least until they can figure out how to play it without catastrophically altering people's brains as a regular practice.

Between the last 18 hours of current events and watching a football player's consciousness give up forever, I'm not sure how well I'm going to sleep tonight.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

"I could tell it wasn't the same guy that I was used to seeing," McDaniel said. "It was a scary moment. He was evaluated for a concussion. He's in the concussion protocol, but he's being discharged.

"It's an emotional moment. It's not a part of the deal you sign up for. His teammates and myself were very concerned, but he got checked out and it's nothing more serious than a concussion."

you know, just a little boo boo, nbd

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
He got discharged from the hospital last night and went back to Miami with the team so I bet he skips next week for purely :decorum: reasons and is back in for week six.

That is to say, with the extreme brain injury he definitely did just receive two weeks in a row

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

That Works fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 30, 2022

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

In high school, dude got a concussion during practice and didn't tell anyone (namely his dad, an assistant coach), showed up the next day and got another one. His reward for that bravado was brain surgery and noone seeing him for six months.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Y'all are missing the full visual context as to why that was so bad.

This was from Sunday:

https://twitter.com/jackhunter2020/status/1575661394288332800?t=kzPtJLbYU9oX6mMOWaOZNA&s=19

So Tua got obviously concussed on Sunday, passes whatever bullshit in-game concussion protocol they have, and comes back after missing a few drives and halftime. Ends up winning the game, the doctors and he say "oh, it was just my back that got hurt" and they shove him back in four days later. So it's *highly* likely yesterday's hyper-fencing response was a second impact concussion, not just a first. Automagically, the hospital discharged him today so he could fly back to Florida with the team.

https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/1575691590638927874?t=Itwk6EA7CRiGGAn1Ouw5uw&s=19

The NFLPA was already "looking into" how he got cleared on the first concussion, but the NFL, NFLPA, and everyone involved is hyper-incentivized to play him. So I'll close with Popehat:

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1575671186448560130?t=L2IfzQp8DGZ0lpd_boWong&s=19

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I don't think anyone bought the back spasm bullshit.

If the NFLPA doesn't come down hard on this its not going to be great.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Jesus Christ that's loving horrible

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

That dude should not have been on the field. poo poo, he probably should have been forced into retirement.

If I had seen that game I would have been yelling at the TV. I don't understand how they will have someone out for a few weeks due to a sprained pinky toe or some poo poo while the guy with likely brain damage is cleared to go.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didn’t even know what hyper fencing was till this morning and seeing that clip. I was like why does it look like Tua is throwing up gang signs, which very quickly went to, something horrible must have happened

Wonder Free
Jun 19, 2006

Throw some D's..
We had one of our aircraft do a few quick collection lines in Punta Gorda and Fort Myers yesterday afternoon. Imagery available here https://storms.ngs.noaa.gov/storms/ian/index.html#11/26.5501/-82.1269

We collected pre-event imagery in the late spring across the east coast, gulf, and west coast for comparison, my advice is to use a computer and open the two maps next to each other if you actually want to do a side by side comparison https://geodesy.noaa.gov/storm_archive/coastal/viewer/index.html

We mainly focus on areas with highest predicted storm surge and critical infrastructure, so stuff like missing bridges, piers, hospitals are the priority. Looks like the water has gone down in the neighbors but you can see where some houses used to be and boats stacked up in peoples yards.

We’ve got a DHC-6 twin otter (much slower) coming from Tallahassee today that will target another coastal area on its way to Miami. The King Air is in Miami and will do another flight today. We will probably be at this for awhile. We keep a ground team on standby to upload and process data so it usually takes 8 hours or so from landing to imagery release on our site.

Other assets that FEMA works with is the Civil Air Patrol and commercial satellite / NGA satellites. The CAP imagery is usually available off their site, the satellite stuff is usually not distributed. Hopefully nothing bad happens in Charleston and the east coast.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

facialimpediment posted:

So Tua got obviously concussed on Sunday, passes whatever bullshit in-game concussion protocol they have, and comes back after missing a few drives and halftime. Ends up winning the game, the doctors and he say "oh, it was just my back that got hurt" and they shove him back in four days later. So it's *highly* likely yesterday's hyper-fencing response was a second impact concussion, not just a first. Automagically, the hospital discharged him today so he could fly back to Florida with the team.

Ugh yeah it was ridiculous seeing some people arguing that the totally independent NFL neurologist said it was fine and therefore what’s the problem? Sure millions of dollars in ad sales are at stake but that plays no part. Wonder if NFL neurology is as much of a scam as when NHL enforcer Derek Boogaard got painkillers prescribed by the team’s doctor, and also prescriptions from the other seven team doctors who wouldn’t you believe it didn’t talk to each other.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Good on you, though be ready to doggedly defend that position until the kids are out of school! I've got a cousin in the South who earnestly made the same commitment back when her son was 6, but, 'lo and behold, 10 years later he's on the team and taking hard tackles. The intellectual recognition of the risks associated with contact football just couldn't compete with the family being steeped in a local culture that not only downplays the risks, but subtly threatens ostracization of anyone who might express concerns.

Oh for sure, I have in law cousins who between football & excessive church are doing their best to have their kids learn as little as possible. When playing a board game with one of their 16 year old football kids took me a few minutes to realize he was nearly illiterate and yet still college bound a few years later.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
the cool part is that the real danger isnt concussions, its the thousands upon thousands of sub-concussive hits that your kid is going to take between the ages of 8 and whatever point they stop playing, which is almost definitely causing irreversible brain damage and all the symptoms including personality changes that entails. the US is basically churning out entire generations of TBI addled idiots all for the love of footbaw.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Proud Christian Mom posted:

the cool part is that the real danger isnt concussions, its the thousands upon thousands of sub-concussive hits that your kid is going to take between the ages of 8 and whatever point they stop playing, which is almost definitely causing irreversible brain damage and all the symptoms including personality changes that entails. the US is basically churning out entire generations of TBI addled idiots all for the love of footbaw.

Hey, it creates conservative voters and entertains the masses so win/win, right?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

ASAPI posted:

I don't understand how they will have someone out for a few weeks due to a sprained pinky toe or some poo poo while the guy with likely brain damage is cleared to go.
Concussions aren't real.
And if they are real, the risk is overblown.
And if the risk isn't overblown, we have mechanisms in place to stop players going on the field with them.
And if the team has subverted the mechanisms, the fault lies with them alone.
And if there's evidence of a systemic problem, well, what are ya gonna do, stop watching the greatest sport on earth?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Cugel the Clever posted:

Concussions aren't real.
And if the risk isn't overblown, we have mechanisms in place to stop players going on the field with them.
And if there's evidence of a systemic problem, well, what are ya gonna do, stop watching the greatest sport on earth?

That is already happening. Over the years the NFL has been losing viewers. I know I watch way less than I used to.

I wonder how long the sport will hang on or if it will even be the same sport in the future.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Proud Christian Mom posted:

This is America, unless effect immediately, obviously, and visibly follows cause*, then causality can be dismissed entirely because who really knows, I'm just a simple country hyper-chicken from a backwoods asteroid

* also if I just don't like it

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Cugel the Clever posted:

Concussions aren't real.

And if they happen, they just make you more manly and less woke
And everyone should have concussions and you're bad if you don't have one

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

ASAPI posted:

That is already happening. Over the years the NFL has been losing viewers. I know I watch way less than I used to.

I wonder how long the sport will hang on or if it will even be the same sport in the future.

I think it’s still insanely profitable and booming, although for growth it’s baffling how after the failure of NFL Europe some exec is still obsessed with putting games in England & Germany with three being played across the pond this year.

They’ve lost fans but not enough to be an existential threat. A retired Air Force colonel uncle stopped watching not because he cared about concussions but because of the non stop flag desecration/kneeling before each game that he heard about on his news sources of choice.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

facialimpediment posted:

Y'all are missing the full visual context as to why that was so bad.

No thanks I don't need to watch that to know how bad two concussions in five days is

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 30, 2022

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I was a pretty casual viewer of football to begin with, but I don't think I'll ever sit down to watch another NFL game again. This video of Tua is stomach churning. The context was worthwhile, imo.
He looks like he's fuckin drunk out there. Where are the adults in the room ffs

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

maffew buildings posted:

No thanks I don't need to watch that to know how bad two concussions in five days is

Yeah the earlier video is him getting slammed head last into the the ground after completing a pass. He gets up and can't walk and falls over twice in 10 seconds trying to meander to a huddle or the sweet clutch of gravity. Christ he's drunk after that hit.

That is insane they called that a back spasm and played him at QB. I already don't watch sports...now how do I hold my tongue when people moan about their fantasy roster injuries

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

US Berder Patrol posted:

Where are the adults in the room ffs
The ones with any power on the field are making millions from the status quo and fear that abiding by basic health and safety policies would threaten that.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
A pretty high percentage of football and NASCAR fans are there for the violence and injury. Feature not bug, etc.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
The adult is Roger Goddell and he makes over 40m a year to ensure things like life altering on field TBI don't encroach on profitability

NASCAR fans aren't there for injury dude, when guys get hurt fans collectively talk about driver safety and car design. NASCAR also has a lot less fans so your average fan is a lot more invested in auto racing and casual viewers aren't there like there are for the NFL.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
NASCAR fans (and drivers) are also pissed that the new car they started using this year seems to be causing more concussions from collisions than the previous design.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

US Berder Patrol posted:

Goodell is raking in $64 mil/ yr. He doesn't give a poo poo if some players are ruined over this.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

The ones with any power on the field are making millions from the status quo and fear that abiding by basic health and safety policies would threaten that.

Plus NFL owners are probably the worst plutocrats in organized sport, although I’m not familiar with Premier league so maybe that’s worse. Billionaires pushing collecting teams like vacation homes and you get weird stuff like the Seahawks passing from Paul Allen (a coworker’s spouse was working on his mega yacht when it rammed a protected coral reef) to his sister instead of someone who might care about the team.

Although it is fun how the fan owned packers release league financial revenue figures each year to the annoyance of every other team that would prefer to keep secret.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Plus NFL owners are probably the worst plutocrats in organized sport, although I’m not familiar with Premier league so maybe that’s worse. Billionaires pushing collecting teams like vacation homes and you get weird stuff like the Seahawks passing from Paul Allen (a coworker’s spouse was working on his mega yacht when it rammed a protected coral reef) to his sister instead of someone who might care about the team.

Although it is fun how the fan owned packers release league financial revenue figures each year to the annoyance of every other team that would prefer to keep secret.

I thought Patrick Bateman killed Paul Allen though?

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

That fencing response is full on UFC head-kick knock-out level, holy gently caress

I got concussed a few years back playing rugby, head to head contact straight to my jaw. One of those hits you feel your entire jaw crunching shut on

Headaches, short term memory loss, balance and concentration issues. Told my doctor that I didn't rightfully know how many concussions I've had, between contact sports and artillery about 5-6? I've never had a healthcare provider tell me something more forcefully than that doctor told me to stop playing contact sports immediately and indefinitely

When I quit the rugby team one of the young 20yo kids told me "it's just a conky bro, I've had 4". Enjoy your liquid brain bro

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/navalinstitute/status/1575885188118241282?s=46&t=4tXj2UEZZUKrQFHcqAEmOw

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A victory for quiet quitting

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

US Berder Patrol posted:

Tua's dad did an interview where he admitted to whipping Tua with a belt when he threw interceptions. His mom seemed to be complicit with this lind of behavior. At 24 years old the person looking out for Tua's health the most is probably his agent or the Dolphins crooked medical staff

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Well, I'm glad someone involved in that shitshow had their head screwed on straight.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Polls are open for the 2022 Fat Bear Junior Finals! Who's girth will reign supreme?

https://twitter.com/KatmaiNPS/status/1575879393288851462

https://explore.org/fat-bear-week

Vote Early. Vote Often. Vote Fat Bear.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Grip it and rip it posted:

Tua's dad did an interview where he admitted to whipping Tua with a belt when he threw interceptions

I don't know how to put into words how I feel about hearing this. :smith: Glad that it's considered abhorrent (and rare?) enough to be worth mentioning, I guess.

I hope the guy's okay.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

New SHORAD vehicle apparently in trials for the US military as a drone killer. 30mm chain gun, box of stingers, and a radar on an MRAP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Is it a technical now